Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Vitamin C (1000 mg twice daily)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
My Mom is all gung-ho with her new accupuncturist who tells her to take 1000mg Vitamin C in the morning and another 1000mg at 2:30 pm (not sure why the 2:30 pm is so important, but that's what he says). This Dr. prefers the SISU brand, so my Mom went out and bought a truck load. I inherited a bottle, so started taking it according to this Dr.'s recommended dosage.

Well... I was expecting to feel better, I even sleep better... But at this dosage, I've even noticed that it does for my skin what putting it topically 2x daily does. Amazing! My skin is just GLOWING... Very Happy

Anyways, just thought I would share because I had really good results with it and I've seen it recommended in many holistic natural skincare books...

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much, I'm using 1200mg Vitamin c daily with msm (4000mg) and Zink 15mg and my skin and nails feels great.

Maybe I should increase my vitamin c intake to 2000mg daily. I'm using effervescent tablet what do you use? Smile
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:18 am      Reply with quote
too much
you'd better take 500 mg once daily
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:03 am      Reply with quote
I usually take a 1000mg vitamin c with zinc in cold season - never thought about any skincare benefits as a side-effect though! I'm sure I've read somewhere that you shouldn't take too much vitamin c though, but can't remember why not Confused .
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:30 am      Reply with quote
mimiek wrote:
I'm using effervescent tablet what do you use? Smile

I'm taking Sisu brand 1000 mg twice daily (morning & 2:30pm).

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
that sounds toooooo much! did you know that too much vit c can cause cancer?be careful!!!!!!!!
naomim
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I take 500mg with bioflavinoid things supposed to help absorption or something, if I have a cold or feel run down go up to 1000mg.....do this 6 days a week. Sundays take nothing give it all a rest...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
lipglossbaby wrote:
that sounds toooooo much! did you know that too much vit c can cause cancer?be careful!!!!!!!!

I haven't heard of too much vitamin C causing cancer. I do know that vitamin C is one of those vitamins that your body can flush out if it has too much of (meaning you'd be making more trips to the bathroom).

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
lipglossbaby wrote:

Ï've never heard about that. Vitamin C is an antioxidant which means that it's also able to fight cancer cell. I also read that it's used as an alternative treatment for cancer. Check this link http://www.immunemedicine.com/ReferencesVitaminC.asp

The only thing that vitamin c might cause is kidney stones and that's not even proven in scientific research and studies.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Many studies have shown Safe Vit C levels at 100–1,000 mg per day for most people.
Other studies also seem to indicate that 2 – 4 grams (2000 – 4000 mg) a day is well tolerated by most healthy people. (1 gram = 1000 milligrams)
However good scientific evidence defining an upper tolerable limit for vitamin C is not available. (this is not to say C is toxic, but rather related to the side effects below, or disease issues below)

Of course one should always discuss supplimentation with their Dr or Health Provider first for specific recommendations based on their individual situation. And do review the links below to provide info that may apply to you personally.

Dr Linus Pauling (one of the primary researches on Vit C, and a Nobil Prise winner) took 18 grams of C daily and lived over age 90.

His recommendations along with those of Dr. Robert Cathcart (another recognized expert in the field with extensive clinical experience with more then 13,000 patients) recommend ranges of 1-3-5 grams of C per day depending on needs and health conditions.

Doses this large can result in diarrhea, stomach cramps, and nausea.

Commonly the Bowel Tolerance test is used to help one find their perfect “level”. Basically when you start producing diarrhea, you have reached your excess level, because the excess C is now passing into the intestines where it is no longer absorbed.

So at that point Back off dose a bit to get below the Diarrhea level.

Vit C does not cause cancer, and in fact can possibly help prevent many types of cancers, because of its ability to help the body protect itself from free radical damage from Smoking, second hand smoke, UV exposure etc. (free radicial damage is a suspected link in many disease processes and cancers)

Large amounts of Vit C can deplete copper and B12 level in the body, so one should supplement with copper and B12 - which is available in most multivitamin supplements.

If you have the following diseases, or family history, do not take excess vit C without discussing your plan with your Dr: glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, iron overload (hemosiderosis or hemochromatosis), diabetes, history of kidney stones, or kidney failure

Some medications can interact with C.
http://www.kroger.com/hn/Supp_Drugix/Vitamin_C.htm

See this link for more detailed info on C and the diseases it can aide treatment or prevention of.
http://www.kroger.com/hn/Supp/Vitamin_C.htm

(disclamer - I am not a Dr, nor a medical care provider, this is not medical advice, and should not be taken as such. Rather it is general information one may conceder as part of their private education, and should be discussed with their health care provider, as it applies their personal health needs)
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal, you took the words right out of my mouth (well, some of them!). Very Happy Dr. Pauling took mega-doses of C on a daily basis and lived to a very ripe old age.

Years ago, I worked with a doctor who specialized in longevity and anti-ageing and he used to highly recommend the Bowel Tolerance Test for people when they felt a cold/flu coming on. He said to take as much Vit. C as you could tolerate until you got diarhhea and then stop or back down significantly. I forgot what his recommended dosage was, but I think it was 1,000 mg. every 1/2 hour with plenty of water until you had to run to the bathroom (I think a lot of people experienced the end of their "tolerance" level at around 25,000 mgs. total). I think it helped to nip a cold in the bud and/or reduce the time sickness would hang around. Overloads of Vit. C just wash right out of your system, and he also recommended increased water intake while doing the BTT.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
yes increased water intake is needed, especially when dealing with flu’s colds, because the diarrhea will cause extra water loss.

I have seen this flu/cold treatment plan recommended often. Never tried it as I rarely get "sick" and have not had a cold or flu for years. But I hear it is very beneficial to many for stopping a cold in its tracks.

Vit C is a good aid to immune system function.

Disease treatments can require/recommend much higher doses, even as high as 80- 150 grams daily for some forms of cancers. Of course this is with a Drs aid only.
SharonJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
i take 1000mg per day

the RDA is around 700mg.... Idea
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:34 am      Reply with quote
Is there any reason that the SISU brand is better than other brands? Eg does it have other ingredients or a different form of C?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:04 am      Reply with quote
I read recently an article by a doctor/ naturopath, who put forward the idea that all allergies would be dissolved , by taking a daily does of vit C at the highest one could tolerate.

Does this make sense to you Tangal? I ask you because you seem to have a good scientific understanding.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:53 am      Reply with quote
if you're taking large doses of C on a long term basis it might be a good idea to check into interactions with other nutrients. From memory, it can increase or decrease absorption of other vitamins and minerals, such as calcium and iron.
SourApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:58 am      Reply with quote
Ah... the bad thing about Linus Pauling is that he was eventually proven incorrect. He claimed that people should take up to 40,000mg of vitamin C.. little did he know about its tolerable upper intake level, and how consuming more than that can lead to toxicity's negative side effects: false positives or false negatives with diabetes tests, acting as a PROoxidant in large amounts since it enhances iron absorption and releases it from storage (free iron causes cell damage in the same way that free radicals do), etc. Past a certain point (200 mg), absorption reaches its maximum point and there is little if any increase in blood concentrations.

I want to stress that supplements also work less well in the body than getting vitamin C from food. Just eat a balanced diet and you'll get all the vitamins you need. The only people who might need supplements are pregnant women, smokers (who only then need 125 mg), those that are recovering from oral surgery or anyone else advised by their doctor.

Vitamin E toxicity is rare, but it can interfere with blood clotting. The upper level for it is 1000mg if I recall correctly.

Sorry, I'm studying to be a dietitian Wink
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try increasing my dosage.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:50 am      Reply with quote
what i heard is you take 300mg three times daily, otherwise your body wont be able to absorb it.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:04 am      Reply with quote
SourApple wrote:
Ah... the bad thing about Linus Pauling is that he was eventually proven incorrect. He claimed that people should take up to 40,000mg of vitamin C.. little did he know about its tolerable upper intake level, and how consuming more than that can lead to toxicity's negative side effects: false positives or false negatives with diabetes tests, acting as a PROoxidant in large amounts since it enhances iron absorption and releases it from storage (free iron causes cell damage in the same way that free radicals do), etc.

Very good point sourapple, I was hoping somebody would say this because I felt too lazy to type Laughing I would never take more or recommend to my patients to take more than 1,000 mg.
simplenpure
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
2000mg a day is too much!! I think it's not a good dose for long term basis.

Overdose of vitamin C will cause diarrhea and reduce the absorption of iron & other minerals.

I believe that a multivitamin capsule is enough.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
There is a new research (published in Europe) that Vit. C even though does not cause cancer, but does act as a facilitator and causes it to be more aggressive and spread faster.

My mom (who is a practicing MD) does not take any vit. C, even though does take a lot of other suplements and antioxidants. Several naturopathic health practicioners advocate the same policy.

HTH,
Lucy.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
wow.. thats just to much of vitamin,,what you need is used by body rest gives you and expensive pee...i remember when i was in medical school we had a question on vitamin C toxicity
here are few
Recent studies have suggested that there are a number of health related problems that can occur as the result of too much Vitamin C consumption, contrary to popular belief. This is especially true for people who take more than 6000mg a day, or those who take additional supplements along with high doses of Vitamin C. Major Symptoms of a dangerous Vitamin C Overdose include:

* Kidney stones
* Vitamin B-12 deficiencies
* Copper deficiencies
* Increased need for oxygen

Vitamin C Overdose might not result in immediate death, but the long term problems that a Vitamin C Overdose can instigate can result in premature death. A list of serious long term problems caused by Vitamin C Overdoses includes:

* Acute Right-Sided Conjunctivitis
* Kidney Diseases
* Diabetes
* Hypoglycemia
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:14 am      Reply with quote
The 2.30pm suggestion is one that I have heard other nutritionists and naturopaths recommend, simply because its believed that sometimes Vit C consumption can interfere with sleep and ups the energy, but there are some bodies which are fine with it (I’m one of them thank goodness). I still even today take large quantities of Vit C throughout my day, as it works well for me, and to date I have been very fortunate in not having any complications whatsoever with my diabetes or general health (but I have always been relatively switched on to good nutrition and sensible lifestyle).

Vit C is generally water soluble, so that which the body doesn’t need it will rid itself of quite easily. I personally have taken large dozes of it, for example when I have a cold of flu, I up my dosage to taking 1,000 every waking hour. Also I have been an insulin dependent diabetic since a kid, and even back then when I was a great eating plan, my supplementation was a lot more higher than the RDA’s (many of which is based on data and statistics from the 1940’s).

Vit C though works in conjunction with some minerals (copper for example) and it has a great effect when used in conjunction with MSM. So if one begins upping just Vit C, without upping the nutrients needed by the body to make use of it and absorb it, I can see how the body would become depleted in copper etc.
I agree with SourApple that supplements shouldn’t be used in place of food, however even our foods nowadays are lacking in the vitamins and minerals and other nutrients they used to contain in comparison with many years ago, so I think even if your eating raw food, you need to supplement to ensure your body is getting the full nutrients it needs to do its job properly (and that will be different for different people). Our diet is one of the biggest things we have control over, so I think when people start reading up on it, it’s a great thing to do, but it needs to be done in conjunction with sensible lifestyle and other factors (like exercise etc).

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:36 am      Reply with quote
Hello!

I think when we want to know the effects of something, or the side-effects of something, it is always good to look at studies.

Anecdotal evidence (i.e. my mom/friends take XYZ and she's feeling great) is not good evidence. For e.g. my great-grandfather was famous for smoking and drinking quite heavily, yet he lived over his 90s. In fact, many times when you try to tell a smoker/heavy drinker that they should stop, they come with these types of arguments (e.g. I know XYZ people who smoked like chimneys and lived a long time with no problems!). It would obviously be wrong for me to conclude that smoking like a chimney and drinking heavily is not a big deal. So because of this, we need to be careful.

Dr. Linus Pauling was a great man but he was a chemist. His nobel prizes have nothing to do with vitamin C or vitamins in general. He decided to take whatever amount of vitamin C he took based on his understanding.

However, in studies, doses greater than 1,000 mg have been associated with risk of kidney stones and kidney failure. And it hasn't been associated with any extra benefit.

In fact, although I'm sure most of us take vitamins, so far all the RCTs that have been done have shown no benefit of multivitamins, no decreased mortality or longer life-span or anything like that Sad
In fact, with these "anti-oxidants", when given to humans and then doing testing on inflammation/oxidation markers, they didn't really show any effect Sad
However, people that eat healthy and lots of veggies consistently show less levels of inflammation/oxidation markers, so not all hope is lost I guess. And this considering that crops nowadays have a different nutritional content than before. I guess even though they do have less nutrients, they still have plenty. Another good thing to do regarding this, is to try to eat as seasonal and local as possible, and freeze some of the stuff. When you eat fruit/veggies that are locally produced and are in season, they are harvested when they're "ripe" so their nutritional content is better than fruit that was harvested early so that it can "survive" transport. For e.g. now it's berries (strawberries, wild blueberries, raspberries, etc.) season in Quebec and I'm eating them like crazy and stocking up on them as well! Also it's good to be part of a CSA (community supported agriculture). You pair up with farmers, give them money up-front and then they send you fruits and veggies that they produce every 2 weeks. These farms are usually organic, they have good prices and you know they harvest the fruit/veggies ripe. And knowing your farmer is nice Smile

I guess I take them because I like the placebo effect, because some supplements (e.g. Omega 3) have shown to have benefits (although large RCTs are needed) but I do try to get all my nutrients from healthy eating as much as possible (e.g. I eat 75 gs. of wild salmon 2 times/week for omega 3).

I think that the body is a VERY complex biochemical system and we don't know about all the nutrients and micromolecules that are present and how they interact with each other, etc, etc. So food might contain all kinds of good things we don't know about, and possibly taking supplements is not the same because the "combination" of the micro-nutrients is what makes it work, not each micro-nutrient isolated. .. kind of thing.

All the best!
Josee

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |