Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Nordstrom makeover???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:51 am      Reply with quote
My roomie gave me a gift certificate to Nordstrom. I really need help with makeup lately so I was thinking about getting a makeover there and then purchasing a few products. I have no idea what cosmetics they even have there since there really isn't a Nordstrom close to us, but does anyone have any recommendations as to which company I should get a makeover from? I'm not really a MAC fan since I feel there stuff is too bold for me. I like wearing very neutral, yet girly, makeup.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kelli
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:03 am      Reply with quote
OMG, how fun!!! OK, well first I went to look at the Nordstrom website to see what's available. if they have a Too Faced counter, I would totally recommend their stuff. I've enjoyed all the makeup I've tried from them, the packiging is adorable, and their colors are sheer and neutral. if they don't have a Too Faced counter, maybe try Tarte? Their colors aren't quite as neutral, but their packaging is still really cute and their products are high quality. HTH!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:59 am      Reply with quote
How fun! I want a makeup makeover but can't quite justify the expense right now since I still have so much older stuff that's still good.

If you like the more neutral look, see if they have Bobbi Brown. I haven't tried her line yet, but I've heard great things about it, and it's where I plan to go once I talk myself into the expense, since I'm not into the bold colors so much.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
I second the Bobbi Brown if they carry it. A few months back I purchased some of her eyeshadows and fell in love! I never thought I'd like matte shadows, but they were really nice and natural looking. I also have her Rose Shimmer Brick compact which I also like. I would really love to try one of the blushes as well. Have fun with whatever you decide!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
i like brighter colors myself, but if you like the more neutrals, a nice alternative to bobbi brown (which i find the colors to be a little too neutral), is shiseido. most of their colors are not as bright as mac but still tamed enough to be "natural" looking.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
For neutrals, Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, and even Chanel. Honestly, I think MAC has some gorgeous neutral looks, and they are so affordable. You can buy 2-3 times the items with MAC. I do a lot of MAC nuetrals, very pretty. Whichever you choose, have fun!
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Most Nordstrom stores have Bobbi Brown and MAC (at least they did when I worked there in the cosmetics department), and I agree with what the other girls have said - both lines do have very lovely neutral makeup. The line girls are trained to give you what YOU want, and if you just tell them you want something neutral/natural, they should be able to do a really nice look for you.

Have fun! That's a really nice gift from your roommate!
SourApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Is that how it happens? Everytime I go to Nordstrom's I see girls getting makeovers and I want one ;P. Like everyone else.. I second MAC, especially their eyeliner.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone! I've narrowed it down to MAC, Laura Mercier and Bobbbi Brown from your suggestions. I've also read some great things on some of the LM products so I want to keep that as an option as well.

As far as those makeovers go, it's my understanding that you make an appointment (or stop by if they aren't busy) to get one and they are usually free with the expectations that you will buy some of their products. Is that right? I've had 2 done before, one with Perscriptives and one with Merle Norman and they both worked that way. I guess I can just call each and see. My biggest problem is getting up the nerve to walk into Nordstrom without any makeup! Laughing

Thanks again!
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
Trish McEvoy..!!!
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
As far as those makeovers go, it's my understanding that you make an appointment (or stop by if they aren't busy) to get one and they are usually free with the expectations that you will buy some of their products. Is that right? I've had 2 done before, one with Perscriptives and one with Merle Norman and they both worked that way. I guess I can just call each and see. My biggest problem is getting up the nerve to walk into Nordstrom without any makeup! Laughing

Thanks again!

TAM, during this time of year, it'd be a good idea to make an appointment. You could even ask if their regional makeup artist is coming in to the store anytime soon, or ask to be put with a linegirl that's really good with color/artistry. A regional MUA is usually one of a lines' best artists, though some of the linegirls are also very good. My sister was a regional MUA for Lancome and traveled to all the Nordstrom and Macy's stores in the Orange County/Los Angeles area - she was an awesome artist, practically a magician! and could make anyone look good.

The makeover is free, regardless. Having worked at Nordstrom where customer service is supposed to be #1 priority, there should be no pressure or expectation a customer will purchase product, but its a really nice thing when it happens because the linegirl just spent an hour or so with you and gave up sales during that time thus costing her commissions, which could be pretty high this time of year.

Also, you don't have to go into the store without makeup. I used to get women that would come to the counter with a full face (some even with false lashes on - try doing a makeover around false lashes; its not easy!) and we just used our skincare line (cleanser, eyemakeup remover, and lots of toner, then moisturizer, eye cream, etc.) to remove it at the counter and then prepped and primed them for the makeup. If you have sensitivities, then yes, you should go in with a bare face covered only in the skincare products you normally use, then the makeover will be color only.

Let us know how you do! Oh, and it would be a good idea NOT to request the Regan look-a-like makeover!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Thanks MermaidGirl! I'll probably wait until after the holidays to book my makeover. I'd love to do it before but I can't stand the crowds right now. And I really don't want all of those people gawking at me! Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |