Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

An Inconveninent Truth
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Rented the documentary An Inconvenient Truth this weekend. It's basically Al Gore talking about the climate change crisis.

A TOTAL MUST-SEE MOVIE!!

Wow.. Al Gore is one smart cookie... too bad he wasn't made President! He presents the whole phenomenon in a clear & concise way, so that even those of us who don't have Masters in science can understand.. finally!

A really eye-opening experience!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the rec. I wasn't considering seeing it until I read your rave. Smile
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I haven't seen it yet but I totally believe in it. I voted for him for prez!
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:01 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
I haven't seen it yet but I totally believe in it. I voted for him for prez!

lol! me too Laughing Most did Wink Wink
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:26 am      Reply with quote
My daughter watched this in her grade 6 class. Then, we had to rent it & I had to explain the parts she couldn't understand. It's something to watch an 11-year-old's face trying to figure out why & how 'we' let it get this bad. Totally depressing. To think Gore was 'almost' president...I wonder if the world would have been a different place. Probably; couldn't have been in worse shape than it is now anyway.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
This is a film I want to see.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
This is an awsome documentary. I think everyone should see it esp. since according to Big Al we only have about a 10 year window to fix this mess! Sad
Maybe if more people see the film, the "powers that be" will do something before it's too late! Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Don't depend on the 'powers that be'. My cynical husband says all they think about is $$ and oil companies rule the world. They probably have tickets for another planet once they're through with this one. No, if it's change, it has to be a groundswell-vote for people have have it as a priority-demand change...it's going to take work & many angry voices..
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Even though I also voted for him there is more controversy about the global warming. I have read some newest research (note done in US, nor by Oil companies), done actually in Russia, which contradicts some of the points and presents somewhat different problems.

I am very concerned about the environment (ozone layer - incidences of skin cancer, chemical pollutions. etc.), but also working in Manhattan, and having 2 dear friends who worked in WTC (and by the Grace of God our company refused to move into that building years ago), I am glad that he was not our president when it happened. I just hope to have a better choice in the next elections.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Excellent excellent movie! I have so much more respect for him than Bush. If I was an American citizen, I would've voted for Gore Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
Don't depend on the 'powers that be'. My cynical husband says all they think about is $$ and oil companies rule the world. They probably have tickets for another planet once they're through with this one. No, if it's change, it has to be a groundswell-vote for people have have it as a priority-demand change...it's going to take work & many angry voices..

Yes, I agree that the "powers that be" have made a God of the almighty dollar, but there's always hope that one day soon, they'll "get it"!! Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G documentary!!! Everyone should rent or buy this DVD in order to learn the basics of Global Warming and how we can make certain modifications in our homes to reduce the amount of Carbon Dioxide we contribute into the atomosphere.

I was quite impressed with Al Gore and hope his quest to educate the world about this important issue reaches as many people as possible before for it's too late!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:

I am very concerned about the environment (ozone layer - incidences of skin cancer, chemical pollutions. etc.), but also working in Manhattan, and having 2 dear friends who worked in WTC (and by the Grace of God our company refused to move into that building years ago), I am glad that he was not our president when it happened. I just hope to have a better choice in the next elections.

I've often wondered how terrorism would have been handled by Gore. Obviously we'll never know the answer..were Americans lucky they got Bush by a thread....or not. Love to read the history books on this one. My only thought is we'd probably still be in Afganistan looking for Osama...I'm pretty sure Iraq would never have happened.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
First of all, there IS some debate about the extent and cause of global warming and while Al Gore can be commended for helping to make us aware of it, he's hardly the last word. Some scenarios in his film have been ridiculed by scientists.

I'm of the opinion that current environmental problems may be the result of affluence and greed and an unwillingness to lead conservative (not in the political sense) lifestyles. As China's and India's middle classes grow, there will be more autos and air conditioners and factories in use to play havoc with air quality. We ain't seen nothing yet! But how can we, in already developed countries, hold them to a different standard than we've experienced and enjoyed? It wouldn't be fair, IMO.

No politicians, not even Al Gore, have the backbone to tax fossil fuel consumption in the States to the extent that it would "inspire" conservation -- they all get $$$ from oil companies when they campaign for office. And hardly any politicians alter their grand lifestyles by reducing personal fuel consumption. How many lawn mowers and irrigation systems are used to maintain golf courses? Hardly a single pol can resist the links, much less private jet travel!

Upper middle-class homes in America often are built with 3 or 4-car garages these days! So much for the notion of personal sacrifice.

And does anyone truly believe we'd have an interest much less a presence in the middle east if it weren't for our appetite for cheaper fuel? There was a recent discovery deep in the Gulf of Mexico that modern technology will enable oil producers to tap. However, this won't come cheaply -- the technology is enabling but quite expensive. So consumers will still want arab oil because it's more affordable.

The price of fuel impacts the price of nearly everything, thus the lack of political will.

Europeans enjoy much better mass transit because fuel is heavily taxed compared to the US. Until recently, we in America even had tax CREDITS available for "businesses" (and this was applied very loosely) who purchased trucks and SUVs -- both gas guzzlers. Now I think we're finally getting tax credits for purchasing hybrids and/or more fuel-efficient autos. Better late than never, I suppose.

Everyone likes to wring their hands about the environment but unfortunately not nearly as many make the personal sacrifices required to have an impact on it -- they always hope "the other guy" rides a train or bus or turns down his AC. Celebrities are noticeably guilty of this -- talking the talk and fuming (pun intended) yet flying around in private jets. I recently read that Leonardo DeCaprio was the only one who truly walked the walk.

End of rant!!! I sincerely hope I didn't offend anyone -- I just couldn't sit still. This will probably end up being deleted by the moderator, but I had to speak up.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
April, why in the world would it be deleted...if you were in politics, I'd vote for you! I've never saw you get so riled up, you're good! Smile
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
April, why in the world would it be deleted...if you were in politics, I'd vote for you! I've never saw you get so riled up, you're good! Smile

Amen to that! Laughing
And also, VERY good points! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:01 am      Reply with quote
Bravo, April! I totally relate to every single thing that you've shared and understand the roots of your cynicism. But IMO this isn't the time to close up shop and give in to the powers that be, or allow the lifestyles of a few celebritites flying around in their jet planes influence or color your feelings. Every LITTLE thing you do to conserve energy or share in your responsibiltty for the condition of your environment is effective and counts for something significant. Call it cause and effect or the butterfly effect, the principles are the same.

I also fully understand that jet fuel spewing all over the place and people not buying gas-conserving cars is annoying. However, it only takes one small *powerful* shift in the minds of many people before change will natuarally occur. If you don't believe me, look at Oprah and how she is able to promote a lot of positive changes in a matter of 50 minutes every single day. She also had Al Gore on her show around two weeks ago to specifically discuss Global Warming 101. Why? Because people are truly clueless and need to know that they CAN make a positive difference and not be intimidated to think otherwise.

I am not a fist-pounding environmentalist in any way, but I do believe that people must WAKE UP and be accountable for their actions. You and I will most likely be gone by the time anything happens to lovely planet earth, but this isn't a reason to shrug off our duties and say, "oh, well" for the generations of people who are left behind us, is it? And let's be realistic about the consequences for the Bush administration if NO ONE came forward to dispute the findings in Al Gore's movie? I think there would be absolute mania at the White House doors right now, I tell you what! Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:41 am      Reply with quote
I thought this was interesting - www.terrapass.com. Essentially, it calculates the carbon dioxide emissions you cause based on the amount of driving you do, and allows you to make a donation to fund clean energy projects in a corresponding amount. I've not done enough research on it as of yet, but read a couple articles that sounded positive.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
marina you're so funny! I don't have the stamina to run for office -- I'm not a political animal! I could never pass muster in that sphere anyway -- one reason being I came of age in the late 60s and early 70s and a lot of people (if they're still alive Rolling Eyes) can bear witness to the fact that I INHALED!

Seriously though, ScotsLass - please don't worry that I've become too cynical! It's obviously not for everyone but my husband and I try to lead what's known as an environmentally "sustainable" lifestyle: we own and live in a multi-family century-old building in the urban core and don't own a car (rent them often though). There are sidewalks in our neighborhood so we can easily (and routinely do) run errands on foot by patronizing nearby small businesses as much as we can. No farms, fields or forests in the last hundred years have had to be sacrificed to make way for us! But we're not environmentally perfect by any measure. For instance, it could be argued that our penchant for relatively inexpensive blueberries and raspberries in winter, that are shipped all the way from South America, may be contributing to the problem. Wouldn't this be one of the "little" things that all add up??? And I can think of so many more!
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:41 am      Reply with quote
I just got the movie from Netflix and am looking forward to watching it. One thing that's really been bothering me this holiday season is packaging. I am so sick of seeing outrageously wasteful packaging.

Most DVDs, for example, are packed in cases with 2 types of plastic (solid base and a clear shell), a cardboard cover, a paper insert, and shrink wrap.

Another example is a gift that a friend just gave me. It was a large box with a clear plastic window. 'Floating' to show through the window on a clear plastic base inside the box were 6 single-serve bubbles of lip gloss in still more plastic and foil (like Cargo's daily gloss, http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P78812&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=4257, thank goodness EDS does not carry this). I guess the point was to make it look like a big gift, but the end result was a LOT of trash for what amounted to a Tbsp of gloss.

I'm trying to incorporate packaging as a factor in my shopping. For example, if I have two equally good gift choices, choose the one that's better for the environment.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to put it in my Netflix!

Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |