Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Remergent High Intensity spf 30- anyone tried it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm running low on sunblock-actually I still have plenty of IS Clinical spf but I'm not impressed. I've been eyeing the remergent one for a while. Has anyone tried it.. (Bushy-I think you have-any updates?)I'm mainly interested in whether it provides a matte finish. I know the PPD probably isn't high, but I'd like a comfortable sunscreen for daily use in winter. For reference, I loved skinceuticals spf 30, at lease the remergent has both TO & ZO.
I know it's $$$ but it's practically the most important part of my (complicated) routine.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
it depends on how hot and humid it is, but yes, it's pretty matte (well, compared to the euros i usually use). it reminds me of the Skinceuticals, but i think it's a bit more cosmetically elegant. another plus is that it never broke me out.... you actually get a pretty decent amount for the price too when compared with the other Remergent products.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:14 am      Reply with quote
Marina, yes I do use the Remergent SPF30 and think it is excellent. I find it very matt (not drying though). I actually use both the Remergent sunscreen, the SPF15 on a daily basis and the SPF30 when I am going to be spending quite a while in the sun which is normally a couple of times a week. It works extremely well as a sunscreen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:22 am      Reply with quote
Bushy, in your opinion is the spf30 light enough to use as an spf moisturiser? I like to use spf30 daily if possible, but also like to have an easy final step to my routine, so prefer to use an spf moisturiser than have 2 separate products.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:37 am      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
Bushy, in your opinion is the spf30 light enough to use as an spf moisturiser? I like to use spf30 daily if possible, but also like to have an easy final step to my routine, so prefer to use an spf moisturiser than have 2 separate products.

Yes it is very light and could be used as an spf moisturiser. Actually I probably use them that way as I only use a serum after cleansing and then this sunscreen on top. So definitely yes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks - it does sound good for me then - and it's a huge bottle for the price too compared to the spf15, which makes it even more attractive!
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everybody...looks like it's a go Very Happy
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:42 am      Reply with quote
I've been considering a new sunblock with the higher SPF and the Remergent sounds interesting. I don't like a thick gooey sunscreen as I end up one big grease slick by the end of the day. Any other suggestions?
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad you asked about this. I was also tempted to try this, but was worried about the extra "shine". I can't remember the proper order of products though when using an extra sunscreen (I've always just used a moisturizer with built in sunscreen). If I am still using my day moisturizer ... does the sunscreen go AFTER that (so it would be my last step ... like serum, moisturizer, sunscreen)? I know I should know this, but I'm a little confused! Confused
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Yes, it would efnitely be your last step and, depending on your skin type, you may not even need the moisturizer.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest that if your skin is dry then you may need a moisturiser before the Remergent SPF30 but if you are an oilier type then the extra moisture is probably not necessary.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
I just purchased this thinking it was a physical sunscreen (that's how it is advertised). But now that I have it, I see that it contains - Octinoxate 5% and Oxybenzone 3% as well as zinc and titanium. This is kind of annoying, as I wear mineral make up... Those ingredients are chemical sunscreens right?

TIA.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Can someone confirm that this product does contain those chemical sunscreens? It does not list them on the EDS website ingredients.
Thanks
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:08 am      Reply with quote
This is a description I found regarding the difference between physical and chemical sunscreens:

"What's the difference?

* A Sunscreen is a product with an SPF of 2 and higher.
* A Sunblock is a product with a physical block and an SPF 12 or higher. Products often contain a mixture of physical and chemical block ingredients.

What is a physical and chemical block?

* A chemical block has the ability to be absorbed by the skin, sunlight is rendered nil or invalid upon contact.
* A physical block sits on the skin's surface and does not have the ability to be absorbed into the skin. Light is either absorbed into the sunblock material or reflected away from the body back into the atmosphere similar to a mirror or tin foil.

UVA chemical sunblock sunscreen ingredients
* Avobenzone, Parsol 1789
* Dioxybenzone, UVB, UVAII
* Ecamsule
* Menthyl Anthranilate
* Meradimate
* Oxybenzone, benzophenone, benzophenone-3
* Sulisobenzone, UVB, UVAII
* Titanium Dioxide
* Zinc oxide

UVB chemical sunblock sunscreen ingredients
* Aminobenzoic acid
* Cinnamates, octyl methoxycinnamate (OMC), Ethylhexyl p-Methoxycinnamate, high incident of contact irritation, non comedogenic, widely used.
* Cinoxate
* Dioxybenzone, UVB, UVAII
* Ensulizole
* Homosalate
* Octocrylene
* Octinoxate
* Octisalate
* Oxybenzone, UVB, UVAII
* Octyl dimethyl paba
* Padimate O
* Para-aminobenzoic acid, PABA
* Salicylates, octyl salicytate (OCS), high incident of contact irritation, widely used.
* Sulisobenzone, UVB, UVAII
* Titanium Dioxide
* Trolamine salicylate
* Zinc oxide

Physical sunblock ingredients – UVA and UVB protection, non-irritating, non-allergenic
* Zinc oxide – recognized as a mild antimicrobial, wound healing and sunscreen agent. Primarily absorbs UVA light rather than scattering or reflecting, non-irritating, non-comedogenic, and micronized by forming many small micro particles for cosmetic use.
* Titanium dioxide –derived from Titanium, a highly reflective white chalky mineral, non-irritating, non-comedogenic, micronized by forming many small micro particles for cosmetic use, listed in the FDA monograph as one the top and most effective active ingredients for sun protection. "

Based on this, the Remergent SPF30 is part chemical and part physical.

The main consideration with pure physical sunblock is that if you rub the skin or sweat then you remove the sunblock.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:15 am      Reply with quote
Pardon me if this is a silly question, but does this mean that this sunscreen should not be used with mineral makeup? I have just placed an order for the Remergent SPF 30 and I absolutely love my Laura Mercier mineral makeup. Will these two be incompatible?

Thanks.
havana8

Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:20 am      Reply with quote
lily wrote:
Can someone confirm that this product does contain those chemical sunscreens? It does not list them on the EDS website ingredients.
Thanks

Remergent AM Moisture SPF 15
Ingredients: Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Diethylhexyl 2, 6-Napthalate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Arachidyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Behenyl Alcohol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Laureth-7, Lecithin, Micrococcus Lysate, Plankton Extract, Polyacrylamide, Steareth-2, Steareth-21, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Tocopheryl Acetate

Remergent High Intensity SPF 30
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 5.1%, Octinoxate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%, Zinc Oxide 0.97%
Inactive Ingredients: Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Arachidyl Alcohol, Alumina, Arachidyl Glucoside, Behenyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate/Triethoxycarpylylsilane, Crosspolymer, Lecithin, Micrococus Lysate, Plankton Extract, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Steareth-2, Steareth-21, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Xanthan Gum
Fairrene
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:24 am      Reply with quote
samkaj wrote:
Pardon me if this is a silly question, but does this mean that this sunscreen should not be used with mineral makeup? I have just placed an order for the Remergent SPF 30 and I absolutely love my Laura Mercier mineral makeup. Will these two be incompatible?

Thanks.

Has anyone have any explanation on a chemical Sunscreen with MMU? Why can't u apply Chemical SS and Physical together? Like some suncreen has both types of ingredient?
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:42 am      Reply with quote
The sunscreen ingredient to worry about when using mineral make up is avobenzone. There is some evidence that it is destabilized by zinc oxide and titanium dioxide that is in mineral make up. But that was based on lab experiments so I'm not sure how much reduction in sun protection you would get in real life.

As the Remergent SPF30 doesn't contain avobenzone, it should be fine to use with mineral make up.

btw, I don't see any sunscreen ingredients in the SPF15 product. Perhaps these have been left out in the listing?
havana8

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:31 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
The sunscreen ingredient to worry about when using mineral make up is avobenzone. There is some evidence that it is destabilized by zinc oxide and titanium dioxide that is in mineral make up. But that was based on lab experiments so I'm not sure how much reduction in sun protection you would get in real life.

As the Remergent SPF30 doesn't contain avobenzone, it should be fine to use with mineral make up.

btw, I don't see any sunscreen ingredients in the SPF15 product. Perhaps these have been left out in the listing?

Good eye, m1rox! Yes, definitely missing. Here is the corrected listing:

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 5%, Avobenzone 3%
Other Ingredients: Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Diethylhexyl 2, 6-Napthalate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Arachidyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Behenyl Alcohol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Laureth-7, Lecithin, Micrococcus Lysate, Plankton Extract, Polyacrylamide, Steareth-2, Steareth-21, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Tocopheryl Acetate
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Ha! The SPF15 one contains avobenzone and it is also not photostable (combination with octinoxate is unstable). The SPF30 seems to be a much better option. Which is probably why the SPF15 is being offered at a steep discount.

Sorry, I can't help you with the finish or wearability of it as I haven't tried this one. The PPD would be too low for me (it's sunny here all year round).
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Thanks bushy and havana8 for the excellent posts!
I tried the whole Remergent line, but found it too expensive to continue with. Didn't see much improvement actually, altho I understand it's mainly a "protection" rather than a
treatment product, right?
I thought the SPF 30 was way too matte for my normal skin. I switched to Devita 30 and like it - inexpensive, all physical (Zn), and lightweight. But of course we each have our favorites!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:49 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Ha! The SPF15 one contains avobenzone and it is also not photostable (combination with octinoxate is unstable). The SPF30 seems to be a much better option. Which is probably why the SPF15 is being offered at a steep discount.

Could you please point me in the direction of the scientific evidence behind your statement as I cannot find anything to substantiate what you are saying?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:38 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 5%, Avobenzone 3%

with octinoxate having estrogenic effects and avobenzone being unstable in light, this sunscreen cannot get on my wish list! Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:16 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
m1rox wrote:

Could you please point me in the direction of the scientific evidence behind your statement as I cannot find anything to substantiate what you are saying?

Hi all, am not trying to provide any evidence or whatsoever.
i was doing search at yahoo and came upon this link that has many articles on those ingredients
http://www.mongabay.com/health/medications/Avobenzone.html

Basically, the usual comment is that the best UV blocker are titanium & Zinc.(but they leave residue).
ENvironmental Working Grp has raised concern over chemical like Avobenzene being it will degrade quickly in the sun. But most brands that contain it, have them formulated in such a way to prevent that. Also concern that Oxybenzone can discrupt endocrine function , lead to free-radical damage to the skin etc.

BUT many Doctors have said that there are not enough evidence and research to support all this claims(so far).

So everyone, i guess we have to take heart in whatever we choose and have faith in it. If u don't feel comfortable in using anything, just change. I think one can never be 100% sure of the stuff they are using whether from reputable or less-know brand. (it also apply to our food intake too) BE HAPPY Laughing
Fairrene
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:20 am      Reply with quote
Can check out this website by ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING GROUP that has many issues on their list. One of which is the list of recommended sunscreen.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/findyoursunscreen.php?&sunscreens=1&&atatime=500
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |