Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
which ingredients to avoid when choosing a face cleanser
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
liangzhiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:46 am      Reply with quote
When choosing a face cleanser, which ingredients should I avoid? I am going to change the face cleanser and makeup remover, but don't know how to choose. I like to seperate makeup remover and face cleanser. I remember there was a post before in which one of forum members mentioned to avoid some ingredients when choosing a good face cleanser, but can't find it any more. If someone knows, please give me the link, or tell me again. Thanks a lot
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
hello,

it really depends on what type of skin you have... are you oily? dry? combination? What kind of properties do you like in a cleanser--foamy? creamy? gel-like? these things count, since washing your face is such a personal ritual. Right now i am really into sanoflore's foaming rosewood cleanser, which contains no harsh surfectants (i.e. sodium laurel sulfate --you'd do best to avoid it or anything that sounds similar), and has a light foaming action, and smells great. But I also love creamy cleansers that I rub into my damp, but not wet, face--this removes all of my makeup and leaves my skin feeling fresh and rejuvenated. I have dry skin,however--so my recommendations, even on an ingredient level, would not necessarily be good for you.
BUT, as for a makeup remover, pure jojoba oil would do the trick, and then a light cleanser.

In general, I think it is wise to always read the labels and make sure that there aren't too many ingredients, chemical or natural. PSF (pure skin formulations), Osea, Dr. Hauschka, Desert Essence, Sanoflore, Burt's Bees, Epicuren, Skinceuticals, IS Clinical, Juice Beauty--all of these brands, in my opinion, have excellent formulations without too many additives or extraneous ingredients.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
i don't know what post you are referring to, but in general, the word on the street is to avoid sodium laurel sulfate and its variants, ureas, anything including aluminum, and parabens. but the most important thing is ratios. For instance, I'd never put this on my face--neutrogena cleanser:
Ingredients:
Purified Water, Sodium Oleate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Disodium Cocamphodipropionate, Sodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Lauramide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Triethanolamine, BHT, Trisodium HEDTA, Citric Acid, FD&C Blue #1, D&C Red #33, FD&C Yellow #5, Fragrance
Because it has so many surfectants and fragrance and additives. On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to put this on my face, and I have many times before:

Epicuren apricot cream cleanser:
Purified Water, Safflower Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Grain Alcohol, Rice Bran Oil, Avocado Oil, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Xanthan Gum, Natural Apricot Essential Oil. Hypo-Allergenic.

I hope that helps!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi--i came across a MUA notepad listing the different types of surfactants and thought it might be useful here:

http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/marmalade80/

scroll to the middle towards the end and it has a listing of what are considered gentle, mild, and harsher surfactants.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I got Cerave cleanser today. It says it doesnt damage the skin barrier and has no SLS. It does have very mild detergent though. I love Cerave lotion already, which I have been using together with emu oil for a while now. The cleanser has HA, glycerin, ceramides etc. to retian moisture. I have yet to use it though Smile
bubbleoffplumb
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted - GREAT link!
I've bookmarked it for safe keeping.

I've been using rosehipseed cleanser for a bout a year now - t's a definate repurchase for me.
it fit all my requirements-

simple cleanser
no detergents
ph (5.5)

I get mine from dianayvonne.com
I think she gets it from professional solutions.
not sure if the formulation is exactly the same. it was my understanding that pf's contained soome detergents, but diana had them make some for her w/o the detergents added.

diana yvonnes Ingredients:
Purified Water, Olive Oil Castile, Vegetable Glycerine, Rose hip See Oil, Essential oils, Seaweed Extract.

usually recommended for dryer skin, but some oilier folks use it too. samples are available.

it's a tough task, finding a good cleanser.

as far as makeup remover - i agree with avalange's suggestion. a simple oil - jojoba or emu would work nicely to get heavier makeup off, then follow with a cleanser.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:08 am      Reply with quote
bubble,

that sounds like an excellent cleanser that I would totally use--I'll keep it in mind for the future, thanks for mentioning it!

--avalange

liangzhiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Thanks all for your reply. My skin is a bit dry and sometimes sentitive. So I try to avoid those harsh ingredients. All of your information is useful for me. Thanks. Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |