Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Retin A - will it ADD sun damage?????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have a question regarding retin A. Someone posted this on another board - what do you say to this? Will using Retin A damage the skin? Is it impossible to use sunscreen in a way that will prevent this? Im using Eucerin SPF30 which has zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and chemical sunscreen. I also use Australian suncream (dont like it much, kinda greasy looking after applying) and Neutrogena dry touch. How often do I have to re-apply - I cant see myself doing this every two hours - its too much layering for one. Is this necessary if its waterproof?

I was looking at a magazine yesterday and there was an article on Skin care. The girl was in her late 30s. She had before and after pictures taken with a special camera and she went on this skin care program that also included retin A and sunscreen, I think she used SkinCeuticles sunscreen. When the after pictures were taken her skin showed alot of sundamage that wasn't there before, she asked her doctor about it, since he was the one that put her on this special skin care program and took all the pictures, anyway the doctor said the sundamage was from using Retin A and she did have sundamage on the upper layer of her skin but the colagen was building and thicking. So if colagen is thickening, will that help the sundamage and help keep wrinkles away some? I'm wondering if using Retin A or Green Cream will be bad in the long run. Will it cause more wrinkling even though we are using a good sunscreen. It's just kind of scary.[/i]
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
If you use Retin A at night (which is the only recommendation I've ever seen), and a good sunscreen during the day, provided you don't spend hours laying out in the sun, you aren't going to have a problem.

The quote you cite is a report from someone who read about someone else in a magazine Rolling Eyes . I wouldn't take it too seriously.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree with Katee, if you use it at night and a REALLY GOOD sunscreen during the day I think you would be fine.

Here are a few really good SS:

Sofina Nuance Up-totally matte and wont break you out. Alot of raves around here for this one. It comes out to be about $31USD.

http://www.bobodave.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=134

Kiss Me Sunkiller Super Block Skin Tone Milk, suppose to be as good as Sofina and its only about $12USD through this Ebay seller. I havent used it but I did order some today!

http://cgi.ebay.com/KISS-ME-SUNKILLER-SUPER-BLOCK-SKINTONE-MILK-SUNSCREEN_W0QQitemZ180043791470QQihZ008QQcategoryZ31774QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180043791470

And lastly if you are going to be out in the sun all day and need to reapply SS, you can try this powder SS. You just dust it on like you would loose powder. Pricey but probably worth it.

http://www.nextag.com/powder-sunscreen/search-html

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Vonstella! The powder sounds great in addition during the day - never heard of powder sunscreen before Smile
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
If you don't use as high a PPD sunscreen as you can tolerate, yes
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
What is a PPD sunscreen??
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Monica34 wrote:

If you do a search on EDS you will get a ton of results as it has been talked about extensively here, you can also do a google search.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
my derm has always said that retinoids reduce the risk of skin cancer -- that's one of the reasons he keeps me on it. apparently it normalizes the skin and reduces damage. I know several other people not through my derm that are on it for sun damage reasons. So although it increases your sun sensitivity, as long as you are careful in the sun in ought to reduce your damage according to my doctor.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
my derm has always said that retinoids reduce the risk of skin cancer -- that's one of the reasons he keeps me on it. apparently it normalizes the skin and reduces damage. I know several other people not through my derm that are on it for sun damage reasons. So although it increases your sun sensitivity, as long as you are careful in the sun in ought to reduce your damage according to my doctor.

I agree with this, and you have to consider the people who don't realize how easy it is to get sun damage. I have told my mother over and over about how the products she uses increase her sensitivity to the sun and what that means, but sometimes, she will still not wear sunscreen the day after getting an aha peel. She rationalizes that it is only a few (around 15-20) minutes in the sun (the south florida sun...) She wears sunscreen normally, but I'm sure those few times in the sun after peels have done so much damage. A lot of people really can't grasp the concept of how much little sun it takes to do serious damage when your skin is compromised by exfoliating products.
lesleyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 am      Reply with quote
I used prescription Retin-A for five years and got amazing results but at the same time I GAVE UP SUNTANNING FOR GOOD. It's not a good idea to use Retin-A and indulge in sun-tanning as you risk more damage and your skin has much greater sensitivity. My doctor advised that I wear a sunblock every day even when it's cloudy.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:28 am      Reply with quote
Monica34 wrote:

Here's a simple description from the FAQ at the top of this forum
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=162146#162146
Quote:
What does PPD mean?
PPD means Persistant Pigment Darkening and it's a measure of the UVA protection. SPF is only a measure of the UVB protection.

Manufacturers' claims on the bottles are mostly rather vague about the UVA protection. PPD is our way of seeing through manufacturers claims. These days most claim 'broad spectrum' protection, but how broad is broad? The mineral screens, such as Shiseido or Sofina are usually only 8PPD, whereas the Euro screens such as Anthelios Fluide Extreme are as high as 28PPD (or more) - so you can see a massive difference for the same 'broad spectrum' advertising claims. (I wrote this on another site. I'm assuming it's my copyright)

For UVA protection there is also the Japanese PA rating, but the highest, PA+++ , only seems to equate to PPD8 so it’s out of date and not so useful. In the UK there is the Boots star rating system of up to 5 stars, but again it’s more vague than PPD. You can easily find the PPDs online if you do a search or check main brands on this page at MUA http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreens

popular high PPD screens here are the Avene Tinosorb range and Bioderma.
HTH Molly Cool
Tammy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:36 am      Reply with quote
Retin-A is one of the proven products that can reverse signs of sun damage to skin. However, as with other retinoids, it is important to use a sunscreen. You'll thank yourself for using it in the years to come.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:02 am      Reply with quote
My pigmentation problems started when I first used retin-a about 20 years ago-the gel for acne. The ONLY reason that happened was the derm didn't bother to tell me to wear sunblock & stop tanning.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |