Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Info pls on vit. c, AHAs/BHAs?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
roopdh
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 16, 2004 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
As the subject header suggests, and at the risk of sounding very naive...I figured it would be best if there was a reference post as to the benefits of vitamin C serums and AHAs such as glycolic acid, and BHAs such as salicylic acid. What the pros and cons might be.

I am trying to research on my own but the honest advice of those who have used/use these products and the lovely ladies of EDS is far more valuable and I believe should help everyone like me who is a little, umm well say, confused Laughing . Thanks.
Jadeeyes

Mon May 17, 2004 12:10 am      Reply with quote
Hi roopdh,

I hope the following links will help:

http://www.basiaandcarol.com/peels-1.htm

http://cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=SKIN

Julia
Mabsy

Tue May 18, 2004 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting the references Julia!

Roopdh - well my (naive) understanding or observations about the three are:

AHA - helps speed up exfoliation of dead skin cells - thus revealing fresh new skin. This may give you a brigther complexion, perhaps reduce the depth of some wrinkes as well and help fade some discoloration. The removal of dead skin cells can subsequently help reduce acne because pores are not being blocked by dead skin cells (which is what commonly leads to acne). Must wear sunblock when using this.

BHA - More effective at penetrating pores than it's AHA cousin - so often used to directly fight acne (frequently in combination with AHAs). Thus you see this featuring in pimple remedies.Not as good in fighting wrinkles etc as AHA because it doesn't penetrate the skin enough but stays on the surface.

Vit C - powerful antioxidant that may help smooth the skin, decrease depth of wrinkles, fade pigmentation etc. No exfoliating effects found here Smile

That's the summary of my knowledge about it Smile
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Mabsy:
When should one introduce vit C product into one's skincare regime? It seems to me that vit C products are targeted more to fighting wrinkles, but if I dont have wrinkles, can I use it too? What do you think? Thanks!
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I did quite a bit of research on C before using it. If you want to read the research by the father of topical Vitamin C himself, enter "Dr. Sheldon Pinnell" into any search engine. He worked at Duke University and did much of the research that has led to techniques to stabilize C so it can be used topically today. He started Cellex-C and his children founded Skinceuticals. I have used both products but have moved on to another C serum - C+ Firming Serum from an online only company -www.cellularskinrx.com. It's half the price of the others and since I'm going to use C forever, figured I better find the best value now...

Here's why to use C:
-Antioxidant prevents free radical damage. When your skin is exposed to UV light, pollution, smoke and other environmental insults, it forms free radicals. These are little O1 molecules running around looking for other O molecules to hook up with - O! wants mostly to be O2. Usually the O1 attached itself to your collagen layer. The result: the layer becomes brittle and thin over time. That's when you start noticing that your skin is thinner and crepier-feeling and looking. The protection that C gives against free radical damage stops this from happening. The result: your skin maintains it's natural firmness and tone.
-Additionally, C has been show to actually stimulate collagen production. A thicker collagen layer means you look younger - think of how firm and thick a child's skin appears.
-No matter what you get - make sure it's l-ascorbic acid (not magnesium ascorbyl palmitate, etc. - these must be metabolized by your skin into l-ascorbic acid. The extra step makes them harder to absorb and less effective.) Make sure it is stable. C cannot be put with E or other oils - it will degrade. Simplest solutions are best with low ph. Go for 10-15% concentrations. Any greater does not help. Skin can only absorb so much C (just like your body) and higher concentrations will only irritate.

I apologize for the length but hope this helps. Good luck!
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Maybe a bit off-topic, but still related... Almost six months ago, I started using the Facial Cream from MD Formulations, with 14% glycolic acid, because of very dry and flaky skin. It has helped wonderfully, and has also helped me get rid of the stubborn pimples I had a tendency to get on my chin. But can I go on using this forever? I have used it both day and night under my regular moisturizer (and with a SPF 15 on top at daytime). Can AHAs do anything at all to prevent aging? Or is it better to consider a Vit-C product? If so, in addition to the AHAs, or as a substitute?

(BTW: I am 32, no visible signs of aging, but want to prevent)
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Sounds like you are right on top of the premature aging issue and taking good care of your skin. AHA's are wonderful for brightening, improving clarity, evening out skin tone due to the exfoiation properties. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use forever. (If your skin can take it - 14% is pretty high...at least for my skin.) I use my C in the AM. Alternate Retin-A and an AHA moisturizer (8%) every other night. If I use all together, it's hell to pay with irritation, etc. I always tell anyone and everyone - if you do just one thing for your skin - use sunscreen! Since you've got that taken care of - looks like you can look forward to looking 32 for a long, long time. Smile
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 10:33 am      Reply with quote
So I don't need both, then? I will of course talk to my esthetician once I'm back home, but you seem very competent to me. I feel I'm on the right track with the AHA (btw, it stung like hell in the beginning, but I haven't noticed any redness or anything after that period, and my skin is even LESS dry), and hardly use any masks and only twice a week the Daily Microfoliant from Dermalogica. Sometimes less is definitely more!

Now I just need to find a good moisturizing eye cream (Cellcosmet?) to be happy...
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 10:42 am      Reply with quote
I would use both - C in AM and AHA at night. The C is just so great for prevention and protection....
roopdh
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 11:19 am      Reply with quote
I have another quick question and that is I have combo skin and everyone seems to recommend the AHA's for dry skin types.

Will it be too rich for me or someone who has oilier skin than myself even?
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 11:31 am      Reply with quote
As far as I know, (or from my own expeience) the AHA is actually good for or more suitable for oily skin than dry skin Wink AHA/BHA may be a bit drying for dry skin (depends on the strength). Since I have combination skin, I usually need extra moisturization in addition to AHA/BHA esp. in winter.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I agree. I have combo skin and have never had a problem with the AHA's. BHA's however, do tend to dry my skin out.
roopdh
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Any recs for AHA's or BHA'S?
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 11:58 am      Reply with quote
oh, roopdh, I use the cheapest one imaginable - I'm embarrassed to admit it. AlphaHydrox face cream and/or the Suave Alpha Hydrox cream. You're laughing at me now, aren't you? They work for me though. I have a precious little one and I have to look good but have to do it on the cheap. Saving for bigger priorities, you know...Smile
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
Betterat40....

Thanks for all this wisdom...I am in the process of choosing a Vit C serum (for the very first time) and this is valuable information which will help me shortlist( Exclamation Exclamation )...

Thank U!!

Nikita
roopdh
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Okay here's another quick question...do you use glycolic acid on its own in a serum form (or lotion I suppose) or is it better to get it in another forumulation like an MD product, etc?

not sure if I asked this question correctly Confused
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
No problem, Nikita. I just can't see any reason to pay 80 bucks for something I can find for less than half. I just hate that women are forced to pay so much for all the things that help us to look good. I've spent a fortune on creams, etc. that did nothing. Now, I'm older and I've figured out the "game"...If I can't find info that tells me it works or get personal recs then I say no way now. I know that's not so much fun or thrilling as a $200 day at the cosmetic counter..but now, I like to have the $200 day at the Four Seasons instead. Smile
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Roo, are you asking me? It's just a cream and it's alpha hydroxy acid - not in glycolic acid form. I'm sure there are better ones out there. I just know these cheapies work for me.
roopdh
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2004 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks betterat40, sounds like a good option the AHA lotion.

Any other recs on using AHA's in glycolic form alone, or in formulations? In either case what product/brand is recommended?

Also what age can one start using Vitamin C?
Mabsy

Wed May 19, 2004 5:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi Bbiz!

I think that while people that have wrinkles would see more visible results with vit C serums than say people without wrinkles, the benefit is there for both. Vit C also prevents damage from environmental causes so even though you may not see any obvious benefit it is "working" to protect your skin.

I use it (I'm 27) even though I don't have any wrinkles. Mainly because I've read a fair bit about it and it sounds like a good preventative treatment.

bbiz wrote:
Hi, Mabsy:
When should one introduce vit C product into one's skincare regime? It seems to me that vit C products are targeted more to fighting wrinkles, but if I dont have wrinkles, can I use it too? What do you think? Thanks!
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2004 5:17 am      Reply with quote
What is a good serum to try for a first-time-user? Any tips?

As I wrote above, my skin is dry, and I use a cream with glycolic acid at night under my moisurizer.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2004 5:27 am      Reply with quote
Nemi, I posted above but I use a 12% concentration, low ph to help with absorption, and stable l-ascorbic acid serum. I found it atwww.cellularskinrx.com. I used Cellex-C and Skinceuticals before and I found they worked just fine. I just thought they were a bit pricey. I found this C Serum for $38 and a full one ounce. I've been using it for about four months now and I love it. You are smart to think about starting on C to counteract environmental pollution, smoke and UV light. (not a sunscreen though)...Good luck!
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2004 5:37 am      Reply with quote
Wow, the price is really nice! But so many companies charge ridiculous shipping rates to send to Norway, so EDS is maybe a good option after all? I am considering the SkinCeuticals Serum 10. But a friend of mine told me that it's best to start using such a thing in the winter, and not during the summer months, since it can be irritating? Any opinions on that issue? Very Happy
roopdh
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2004 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Okay after some researching on EDS I came across a few glycolic acid formulations in the MD line of products (mind you given that there are so many lines sold here, I really only got to scroll through one or two last night Razz ).

Well I didn't come across any strictly glycolic acid tonics or what not, but I did manage to see a few creams and lotions that had AHA's/glycolic acid in them. Is this how most of the ladies (and gents) are incorporating the AHA's into your skincare regimen? And which products are you using...I'm eager to get started on using these Very Happy

*********edited*********
I found a glycolic toner from DDF, anyone rec. this?
Mabsy

Thu May 20, 2004 2:06 am      Reply with quote
Nemi - I haven't had any problems with irritation, but you should start off with a low concentration (e.g. 10%). I actually think that vit C serums would be most beneficial in summer because they help block damage from UV rays. I haven't heard or read any recommendations for starting on vit C serums in winter. I'm currently using the Vivier 20% serum and have not experienced any irritation at all. Keep in mind that my skin is not sensitive though and rarely reacts badly to skincare.

Roopdh - I'm not sure that there are any strictly glycolic acid tonics. Glycolic acid has to be used in low concentrations so you will see it mostly as an aditive and not a concentrated product (if that's what you mean).

Mabsy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |