Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I need Sunblock!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
Could anyone suggest a good sun block for me?
I have congested skin, oily and easy to get pimples...
I am use MDF's total protecter SPF30 now, but found its quite sticky, need a good suggestion!!!
PS. what different between Zinc Oxide, and Titanium Dioxide? I heard Zinc oxide is better than Titanium Dioxide, is that ture? Confused
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Sofina nuance up is a japanese sunscreen that a lot of people prone to congestion seem to like a lot.
whitedewy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:15 am      Reply with quote
I like shiseido's sunscreen.
vava_gurl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:34 am      Reply with quote
I find skinceuticals spf30 brilliant. I like that you dont end up with that 'ghost look' and you also get an ever so slight glow to your skin. It's a winner for moi! Very Happy
WeiFen
5% products discount

Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the Kanebo White Bright Veil UV SPF 30 PA++ for 3 weeks. It's a tinted sunsceen that is like make up base. It has 3 colours; Clear, Natural and Lucent and So far, I am happy with it.

Just wandering if anyone can compare this product with Sofina Perfect UV Nuance. I can't get Sofina locally, that is the main reason I bought the Kanebo product in the first place. However, both products seem to be very similar (except that Sofina is SPF 50 and half the price) and both companies are owned by Kao Corporation.
Rolling Eyes Idea Me, thinking the Kanebo White Bright Veil is actually Sofina under another so called "more exclusive" brand name.

I am thinking of getting Sofina online once I use up my Kanebo.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
how about clinique cityblock, it has spf 15, 25 and 40, it's oil-free, wont block your pores.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
WeiFen wrote:
I have been using the Kanebo White Bright Veil UV SPF 30 PA++ for 3 weeks. It's a tinted sunsceen that is like make up base. It has 3 colours; Clear, Natural and Lucent and So far, I am happy with it.

Just wandering if anyone can compare this product with Sofina Perfect UV Nuance. I can't get Sofina locally, that is the main reason I bought the Kanebo product in the first place. However, both products seem to be very similar (except that Sofina is SPF 50 and half the price) and both companies are owned by Kao Corporation.
Rolling Eyes Idea Me, thinking the Kanebo White Bright Veil is actually Sofina under another so called "more exclusive" brand name.

I am thinking of getting Sofina online once I use up my Kanebo.

WEIFEN,have you tried Kanebo Media make-up base, it is spf22, actually in asia there are so many make up bases with SPF, it's just like sunscreen.�
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
If you can find a decent sunscreen with ZO as opposed to TD, please let me know! I've looked forever, but it's been a lost case for me!

ZO is better I think because of it's healing properties and is less chalky/reflective than TD. But any of the sunscreens that I have tried with just ZO always come out greasy and pasty/white, really yucky!

I agree with the recommendation for city block - Clarins UV plus SPF 40 protective day screen is OK, too.

I've tried the Sofina & Sunkiller route - they look really nice on, extremely mattifying and good for oily skin, plus the top ingrediant is ZO which is great, but I'm avoiding them now because the next ingrediant is chemical, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate - this stuff is a potential carcinogen & apparently can cause free radicals too. Because of that it makes me too nervous to use these products.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
good to know, ok now sofina is off my list.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but I've been having the same problem. I've been using the SVR, but it's only got 3% Zo and 11% To. I've noticed that I've gotten 2 ice pick scars on the left side of my face. Zinc oxide is a better uva block. I wish I could find a sunblock that only had those two ingredients with more zinc. Sad
leidon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have acne prone skin & love the Sofina nuance. It also works as a great makeup base.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
I use SVR 50B and like it so far ( at least more then any other).

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
I really like Shu Uemura XTR SPF 50 PA+++, also like the SPF 25 version as well. The 50 is titanium dioxide and 25 is zinc oxide, but neither one gives a white cast. The finish is nice and matte as well, does not turn oily at all.
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Cool - the Shu Uemura sounds very nice. Can you please list the ingredients?

Thanks !
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
i recommend sofina and sunkiller. i have been using both for quite a few months and i have never gotten so many compliments on the glow of my skin. not so sure about the second ingredient maybe being a carcinogen. a lot of things are considered carcinogens, including coffee. i probably do need to worry about that sort of thing but sofina and sunkiller just feel so good going on and are perfect. i really hate to think about going out looking for another sunscreen Sad .

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Girlzmommie wrote:
Cool - the Shu Uemura sounds very nice. Can you please list the ingredients?

Thanks !

I only have a box for the XTR SPF 50 PA+++ which is the titanium dioxide one, so I can list those ingredients:

Formula No 699284/03 Ingredients: Aqua/water, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, glycerin, cyclopentasiloxane, propylene glycol, terephthalylidene dicamphor sulfonic acid, titanium dioxide, drometrizole trisiloxane, triethanolamine, benzophenone-3, stearic acid, c12-15 alkyl benzoate, potassium cetyl phosphate, PEG-100 stearate, glyceryl stearate, phenoxyethanol, cetyl alcohol, mica, dimathicone, CI 77891/titanium dioxide, aluminum hydroxide, carbomer, prunus dulcis/sweet almond oil, methylparaben, tocopherol, tromethamine, xanthan gum, butylparaben, ethylparaben, disodium edta, propylparaben, isobutylparaben, alcohol, linalool, alpho-isomethyl ionone, benzyl alcohol, thermus thermophillus ferment, faex/yeast extract, polianthes tuberosa polysaccharide, limonene, eugenol, parfum/fragrance. code F.I.L.: B10424/1.

whew! that is a long list. As you can see not a 'natural' formula at all, but if you are looking for no white cast, no breakouts, no oiliness, no stickiness or balling up, this is a good one.

Sorry I do not have the box for the SPF 25, I know the SPF 25 has zinc oxide and it is light purple coming out of the tube (the 50 is white). I am not sure if the 25 contains ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, as you can see the 50 does though.

I think the 25 is made for a makeup base. I do not have problems removing either one at the end of the day, I use Eve Lom and it comes off just fine.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:34 am      Reply with quote
vava_gurl wrote:
I find skinceuticals spf30 brilliant. I like that you dont end up with that 'ghost look' and you also get an ever so slight glow to your skin. It's a winner for moi! Very Happy

are you talking about the chemical or physical formula? I used to like the physical spf 30 but im getting sick of being gunky white in it. Im really pale and it still makes me look ghostly.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:10 am      Reply with quote
purpleturtle wrote:
vava_gurl wrote:

are you talking about the chemical or physical formula? I used to like the physical spf 30 but im getting sick of being gunky white in it. Im really pale and it still makes me look ghostly.

Hi Purpleturtle I use the Skinceuticals Ultimate UV Defence SPF 30 formula. And I truly luv it and I have certainly never had that 'gunky white look'. I haven't tried the physical version so I'm not sure about that. I just find the Ultimate gives a slight glow. I have used the MD Formulations spf30 but felt it looked a bit pasty on me. I have a light olive complexion so ghosting is a no-no. Smile
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:02 am      Reply with quote
i have oily skin and Clinique Super City Block SPF 40 works great ... its oil free, very light and almost doesn't feel its on.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:05 am      Reply with quote
hendricks wrote:
i have oily skin and Clinique Super City Block SPF 40 works great ... its oil free, very light and almost doesn't feel its on.

i also recommended clinique city block, but the only drawback is it dries my skin.
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
gracedhy wrote:
hendricks wrote:

i also recommended clinique city block, but the only drawback is it dries my skin.

yeah its a little drying but i use a moisturizer underneath and no dry feeling that way.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
i am a convert from skinceuticals ultimate uv defense. i was happy while using the skinceuticals because it was a lot less oilier than other sunscreens i had tried before. once i got started on japanese sunscreens, i realized how oily the skinceuticals really was. the ingredients however don't contain that potential carcinogen girlzmommie brought attention to:

skinceuticals ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Zinc Oxide (Z-Cote HP1) 7%, Water, Cyclomethicone, Diisopropyl Adipate, Synthetic Beeswax, Hexylene Glycol, PEG-40 Stearate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Glycerin, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Beeswax, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, PEG-20, Carnauba Wax, Dimethicone Copolyol, PVP/Eicosene Copolymer, Sorbitan Tristearate, Propylene Glycol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Alcohol, Stearoxytrimethylsilane, Steareth-100, Laureth-7, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Clinique City Block is wonderful! I bought it at the airport with good price.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
I always use Clarins spf40, they have bigger bottle now.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
try La Posay too..it's great and cheap
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |