Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Is just water enough to cleanse face in the AM??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Is it enough to use water and a microfiber face cloth to cleanse your face in the morning? Do you need a cleanser? My skin is normal to dry, no acne or breakouts.

I would rather skip it in the morning. I feel as if a plain microfiber face cloth and water are fine on its own. I only use a light lotion mixed with a bit emu after Retin A at night. Nothing heavy, no mineral oil etc.

In the AM I use a LA exfoliant first, then moisturizer and sunblock after 30 min.

Not using a cleanser would also keep my skin's ph at the right level for the exfoliant.
Bunny7475
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Yes. My esthetician highly recommends this and I practice it with no problems.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Bunny - good to hear your esthetician actually recommends this Smile
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes estheticians don't know either. I have read more often than not, that you should always cleanse twice a day because your skin sheds skin cells even when you sleep.
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
I think go ahead and use a very gentle cleanser, too.

It's like water will already irritate your skin (not that you'll necessarily be conscious of it, but the environment inside your skin will change - pH will go up). But it's not something to freak out about; your skin will correct.

But still, for that irritation, you'll only get a half-arsed cleansing job.

I figure, if you're going to irritate, why not add in a gentle cleanser and actually get your skin completely clean.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Using just water sounds great and if it works for you, even better! Do you wear any moisterizer overnight?
anixia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I dont even wet my face in the morning, I just dab my eye area to wash all the "sleep" away. I just get too dry, especially in the winter. I wash my face at night with DHC oil in my shower and apply moisturizer, by morning its all soaked in and my skin is just fine. Ive been doing this for years. I use a power mineral foundation, so no shineyness even by days end.

But my skin is very hands-off, usually the less I do to it the better.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Many times I just splash my face with cool water. Now that I'm using such great products - my face isn't a grease pit in the morning.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
nope, not for me, i always use a gentle cleasner in the morning coz my skin is kind of greasy.
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
I find my skin is pretty greasy in the AM so I have to use a cleanser. I have tried the just rinsing with water method but I prefer the slightly squeaky clean feel you get after using a cleanser. So I just use a very mild foaming cleanser & use Dr H cleansing cream at night in order to get a deep clean.
whitedewy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
yes, if you aren't very oil skin
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:17 am      Reply with quote
I have the experience that “over-treating” (using too much products) irritates my skin. I don’t use actives in the evening : after cleansing it thoroughly with EveLom I put on a moisturizer only (my skin is dry, especially during winter). So a.m. I use my muslin cloth only, with hot water and then with cold one. It feels clean but not over dried. And I’m happy with it.
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
I have the experience that “over-treating” (using too much products) irritates my skin. I don’t use actives in the evening : after cleansing it thoroughly with EveLom I put on a moisturizer only (my skin is dry, especially during winter). So a.m. I use my muslin cloth only, with hot water and then with cold one. It feels clean but not over dried. And I’m happy with it.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:49 am      Reply with quote
Would just cleansing with water suffice if one puts on a moisturizer, well in my case emu oil+HA serum or any other actives at night? I feel as though there will be some buildup if I don't cleanse with at least a gentle cleanser in the morning.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I also just use a little bit of water and a cloth to wash my face (even less water in the winter months) and truly, this approach was what made the most positive change in my skin.

I don't wear foundation so I don't feel the need to really wash off with anything other than water. I will on occasion use a makeup remover if I've been wearing any mascara but other than that, just plain water and a washcloth work well for me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
I think water with microfiber cloth should be enough, water by itself would not be.

I tried it a few times, and really loved it, but me being me I overdid it immediately and had a few rough patches after scrubbing too hard with the microfiber cloth.

If it works well for you why change?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use water only for cleansing, but as I got older, I start to get the black head, YUCK! Now, I always use cleanser
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
for me, water in the am is not enough to clean my face. i work out and i find if my face is not free of moisturizer/serums, i get a lot of clogged pores. in addition, when i am using an acid treatment, i am afraid it will seep into my eyes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
Before, I was too lazy to use cleanser & toner and I only used water in the morning.

One morning I tried a sample of Clarins one-step cleanser with cotton pad and discovered that my face was quite dirty even my skin type is normal. I then purchased the full size one-step cleanser coz water itself may not wash away the dirts.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
I don't like using water only to wash my face in the A.M., because our skin cleanses/purges itself at night and sometimes I wake up feeling a bit oily. Also, I live in L.A. and I just think our environment here tends to be dirty.

Plus, God knows which one of my cats might've drooled on me during the night, or rested her tail across my forehead while sleeping! (I actually woke up one time because one of them had put the tip of her black tail under my nose/above my lip - I was thinking "If anyone walks in here, they're going to think I look like Groucho Marx or Hitler!") I prefer a gentle, non-foaming cleanser, but when I'm running late, I have been known to splash thoroughly with water and run a toner-soaked cotton pad over my face after patting dry.
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is too oily it cannot be cleaned with just water Confused
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
I always thought that the world would come to an end if I didn't wash my face every morning, however, I've recently started only washing my face at night and I swear my skin has never looked better. If you are a little nervous about not washing, I would highly recommend trying Zenbiotic's rinseless cleanser (www.zenbiotic.com)--- you just spray it on and then wipe it off with a cotton pad and your face is clean but much less irritated than if you washed it with water.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
I always use water and a washcloth and nothing else in the am, that's always been enough for me,since I was a teen, On saying that, I have normal (not oily/not dry)skin so maybe that's why it works for me!
Maureenall
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I use a wash off cleanser.

Happy New Year
Wawa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I believe it really depends on the individual. My mother has been only using warm water and washcloth both AM and PM for most of her life (she does use some cleanser when wearing makeup). She's in her late 50s now and she has the best skin I've ever seen. She does have some wrinkles though, but that should not have anything to do with cleansing routine.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |