Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does anyone crochet?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
I used to crochet a lonnnng time ago, and I have forgotten everything but a chain stitch. Do you think it's easy to pick back up? Also, can you recommend any good books or videos that would help guide me as I re-learn? I know that I wouldn't be committed to attending a class; I want to do this when I feel like it, when I have time, in my own home, etc. Thanks for your help!
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
I learned how to crochet back in 6th grade...our teacher taught the class how to make squares and after everyone crocheted a few each, she sewed them together to make a blanket. All I remember, too, is the chain stitch, hmm It's enough to make a scarf, though Very Happy Sorry, not much help Confused
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
My mom tried to make me learn to crochet. I hated it, and I refused to learn. All I could ever do was make a long chain.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Umm.. I realize that doesn't actually help you. I think that, with something like that, you may be a little rusty, but once you start doing it, I think it will come back pretty quickly.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:01 am      Reply with quote
Don't mean to hijack your thread Marci, but all this talk about sewingcraft has got me excited about my last little project: an embroidered, beaded pouch for my friend. Lookie here, what do you think? (SM is her initials).

I want to learn to crochet, too. Just like you all I remember is the chain stitch Rolling Eyes .
jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:08 am      Reply with quote
oh my god, this pattern is so delicated! It must have taken a lot of time and patience.
tamifaye
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I taught myself to crochet about 6 months ago after knitting for a few years. I purchased a book called "Crocheting School: A Complete Course"(Hardcover)
by Inc. Sterling Publishing Co.and watched some online stitch videos. Those are nice short video demos of someone's hand working the stitch so you can watch. Very cool! I love the internet. http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?type_id=S

When I did a google just now to find Annie's Attic, I also found this site.
http://www.hassdesign.com/StitchLegend/.

And for the forum lovers check out Crochetville.org. I find the folks on that forum to be as nice and helpful as the folks here.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Those are great sites, tamifaye. I bookmarked them. Thanks! So it looks like a scarf is the standard first project. I better get a move on gathering supplies and resources; I was thinking that taking up crochet again would be one of my New Year's resolutions.
tamifaye
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:44 am      Reply with quote
If you haven't yarn shopped, you are in for a treat. Today's yarns are so incredible. You'll find yourself obsessing over yarn, just like skincare products. And just like skincare, more expensive doesn't always mean better. Last year with my Christmas bonus, treated myself to an expensive yarn that was on sale for $30.00 a skein. It was beautiful yarn, but it was so hard to knit that the project wasn't fun at all even though the scarf was pretty.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Forgot to share a great site for free patterns...www.crochetpatterncentral.com

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
pumpingmummy wrote:
Don't mean to hijack your thread Marci, but all this talk about sewingcraft has got me excited about my last little project: an embroidered, beaded pouch for my friend. Lookie here, what do you think? (SM is her initials).

I want to learn to crochet, too. Just like you all I remember is the chain stitch Rolling Eyes .

PM, that creation of yours is GORGEOUS! OMG! I wish I had your talent. If a friend gave that to me, something I knew she put hours of love and care into, I'd burst into tears ... its such a hearfelt gift! Just lovely ... your friend is a very lucky girl.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:19 am      Reply with quote
tamifaye wrote:
If you haven't yarn shopped, you are in for a treat. Today's yarns are so incredible. You'll find yourself obsessing over yarn, just like skincare products. And just like skincare, more expensive doesn't always mean better. Last year with my Christmas bonus, treated myself to an expensive yarn that was on sale for $30.00 a skein. It was beautiful yarn, but it was so hard to knit that the project wasn't fun at all even though the scarf was pretty.

Ditto on that--I don't crochet, but I do knit and I love checking out new yarn stores whenever I get a chance. I can spend forever in one looking at all the beautiful textures and colors and dreaming of new projects Smile Of course, I've also had good luck getting nice stuff at places like Jo Ann Fabrics and Douglas.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
I also used to crochet a long time ago - quite well, I might add! My grandmother taught me from when I was quite small. A few years ago I thought I might take it up again but the way the patterns are notated had changed and I couldn't be bothered to learn the new system. You've got me interested again, though. I used to use the fine crochet thread for table runners and similar - it ends up looking like lace. Perhaps I'll give it another go. Thanks for the reminder!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |