Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to organize make-up?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Hello everybody,

Hope you had a good holiday. I wanted to do my eyes for Xmas day and realized I have tons of the same eyeshadow in subtle shades (beige). All my eyeshadows are individual little pots from MAC and Bobbi Brown. I'd like to organize them into some kind of box so that I can see them all instead of digging randomly into a drawer. Does anybody have a good solution? Oh, and same goes for lipstick. The only thing I'm good about is blush- I only have three - a pink, a bronze and a daily (all from MAC). Wish things were that simple with the rest.

Thanks

Cat
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 am      Reply with quote
i have same problem too, i am a very disorganized person, would love to hear out solutions.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
You can go to any good art supplies store and buy an artist's paint palette...then sort your goodies by product type and colour family and then just glue your pots onto it. If you need your products to travel with you then use a velcro system (you can get at any craft store-like "Michael's" in Canada for example). This way you can "pluck" your pots from your palette, toss them into your handbag and then reattach them to your artist's palette when you no longer need them on your person. What is also great about this is that you can hold your palette in one hand and have easy access to a zillion colours at a time (the only pain in the @#$ is screwing all the lids back on when you are finished playing with all of your colours!) Confused
Pudoodles
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I absolutely love the train case I bought from Sephora (it's one of my favourite purchases from last year). I have the Midnight Train Case and it's perfect to hold all my makeup and make it easily viewable in the mornings. Mine is a fair size, but I know they make them smaller as well (or larger). I used to have everything in those little cosmetics bags and it would be tough to dig through it each morning and now it's so nice to see it all spread out before me ... it helps me use things I wouldn't normally since it's all in front of me.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Moonstarr wrote:
I absolutely love the train case I bought from Sephora (it's one of my favourite purchases from last year). I have the Midnight Train Case and it's perfect to hold all my makeup and make it easily viewable in the mornings. Mine is a fair size, but I know they make them smaller as well (or larger). I used to have everything in those little cosmetics bags and it would be tough to dig through it each morning and now it's so nice to see it all spread out before me ... it helps me use things I wouldn't normally since it's all in front of me.

Hi Moonstar Very Happy - sounds interesting - how much did it cost (Canadian or American dollars)
Thanks!
Pudoodles
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Moonstarr wrote:

moonstarr i am interested in the train case, do you have picture to show us what it looks like?
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
If you do a quick search on Sephora.com, you'll come up with the various train cases. They cost about $90. I need to touch it though to know if it'll work, so I'm waiting for the w/e. The idea of Artists palettes sounds great (and cheap). Any others, guys? I hope that gracedhy and I are not the only 2 people who hoard tons of the same color because they can't see them... Rolling Eyes
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I recently went to the Container Store & revamped all my makeup containers. Acrilyc containers are nice because then you can see exactly what's where. I know there are organization stores on line. It helps if you have a rough idea of what you need to store & the space you have to store it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
I use only a few items on a daily basis (1 or 2 neutral eye shadows, 1 eye pencil, 1 blush, have a choice of 2 or 3 foundations, 2-3 concealers) - these I keep in the bathroom; the rest goes into plastic drawers in another bathroom (or soon basement) and these are placed in a draw per type of products - one for eyes, one for lips, etc. They are small drawers, but I managed to accumulate so much stuff over the years (what a waste of money)..

Not a very good solution, but ..

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
c4ward wrote:
I recently went to the Container Store & revamped all my makeup containers. Acrilyc containers are nice because then you can see exactly what's where. I know there are organization stores on line. It helps if you have a rough idea of what you need to store & the space you have to store it.

Hi C ~ did you go to the Container Store in Century City? If so, WHERE is it? I used to go to the one in Costa Mesa all them time when I lived in Orange County, and see that there is now one up here in L.A.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
hmmm.. my make up is very disorganised. well, it isnt actually, it just LOOKS it..

my own little system that is nonsensical and chaotic looking.

It would be quite something to have an elegant looking arrangement. Wink
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
Hi Moonstar Very Happy - sounds interesting - how much did it cost (Canadian or American dollars)
Thanks!
Pudoodles

Hi Pudoodles, Agent-00-CAT was correct .. it was $90 US I believe, however I think I was charged more like $130 CAD for it when they applied the exchange, etc. A little pricey, but WELL worth it ... I love it! AND it's really good quality so it should last a long time!
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Moonstarr, does it open like a drawer and you have the little pots in there or are there slots you can put the pots in?
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Moonstarr wrote:
Pudoodles wrote:
Thanks!
Pudoodles

Hi Pudoodles, Agent-00-CAT was correct .. it was $90 US I believe, however I think I was charged more like $130 CAD for it when they applied the exchange, etc. A little pricey, but WELL worth it ... I love it! AND it's really good quality so it should last a long time!

Hi Moonstarr Very Happy that is not bad at all...I'm going to check it out right now...the pricing is competitive - especially if you compare with big guns like MAC!
Pudoodles
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Moonstarr, does it open like a drawer and you have the little pots in there or are there slots you can put the pots in?

The one I have opens in the middle, then you slide each of the trays out (so you end up with two areas on each side to place your products, plus one deep area underneath). I thought the one that opened in the middle might be more stable than the ones they have that open with all the trays opening to the same side (I would think they would tip over).

It doesn't have slots for pots, however it comes with little dividers that you can place at different intervals, so it is somewhat adjustable. With my MAC eyeshadows, I just have them laying flat so I can see the colours, however the trays are deep enough you could place them on their side in a row (so you could get more in there).

This is a picture of mine linked from the Sephora site.

Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
c4ward wrote:

Container Store is only in the United States? I think I have seen some of their stuff in Martha Stewart magazine and I love some of their stuff!
I wish I could find it here in Canada.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Moonstarr wrote:
Agent OO-CAT wrote:

The one I have opens in the middle, then you slide each of the trays out (so you end up with two areas on each side to place your products, plus one deep area underneath). I thought the one that opened in the middle might be more stable than the ones they have that open with all the trays opening to the same side (I would think they would tip over).

It doesn't have slots for pots, however it comes with little dividers that you can place at different intervals, so it is somewhat adjustable. With my MAC eyeshadows, I just have them laying flat so I can see the colours, however the trays are deep enough you could place them on their side in a row (so you could get more in there).

This is a picture of mine linked from the Sephora site.

cool, thanks for the picture, i only wish the case looks more girly, this one looks like guy's tool box to me.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
gracedhy wrote:
cool, thanks for the picture, i only wish the case looks more girly, this one looks like guy's tool box to me.

That reminds me ... that's exactly what my BF suggested I get (when I was looking), although he suggested that (tool box) or a tackle box! Seriously, it probably would work really well, but that would even be less girly. Laughing
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
One solution is to "de-pot" your MAC eyeshadow pans (there are many tutorials online, particularly spektra.net), glue magnets and labels to the backs, then place them into one of MAC's empty 15-pan palettes. I use the 15-pans for storing colors I don't use on a regular basis, and use the 4-pan palettes for my everyday colors. Bobbi Brown's eyeshadows are rather large, but she does sell palettes to hold several at time, so they're neatly organized.

Another is to get a traincase of some kind to organize your stash. I also really like the mini chests of drawers that IKEA sells.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Nijey, that's a really good idea.

So, yesterday I went to the art supply store and bought 2 9-pot artist palettes. The BB eyeshadow fit well in these, though the whole thing becomes huge.

At the store, I also saw some artists' cases, which aren't too different from the cosmetic cases we've been discussing but cheaper (about $35). Next time I go I'm taking a BB eyeshadow with me to see how many I can fit per tray.

A tool box might also work well...

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Ijust found that Bobbi has a 6-pan palette!!!!
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
I bought similar looking train case from walmart- the brand is Caboodles, its huge, and only $35!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use a specialized make-up organizer but over the years I found it annoying to clean out all the dust/powder from the make-up. It always looked so messy. Now, I keep mine in a cute Prada make-up bag. With that being said, there is a couple of things that I don't carry with me. For example, my foundation. I keep that in my medicine cabinet. I can't help but wonder if that is the right place to store it? Also, I have my loose powder kept there and make-up brushes.
Does anybody have a better way of how I should store my make-up?
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
today i found a silver train case in shoppers drug mart, with brushes and eye shadows loaded inside, costs 65 canadian dollars!
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:11 am      Reply with quote
So, I got two Bobbi 6-pan palettes and it's working quite well having all the colors under my nose. I looked at getting a 4-shadow palette from MAC but can't figure out how to de-pot the eyeshadow. The tutorial on Spektra is for a different eyeshadow brand that has a little hole at the bottom of the case. I removed the sticker from one of my MAC eyeshadows but there's no hole to push the shadow from. Does anybody have any suggestions? TA!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |