Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
HELP -Hair breaking due to straight perm & Kerastase
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:25 am      Reply with quote
I tried the straight perm and now my hair is breaking a lot. I am trying the Philip B haircare line, but would appreciate any help on what else may be effective to salvage my hair. Please don't tell me to cut it or I'd cry. I got a pixie cut 3 years ago. Never again! A friend's hair looks horrible now, too, because she did the straight perm so many times now. It's totally lifeless and frizzy. She said she's going to just grow it out, but if I got any great tips from you, I'll pass them on to her, too. She'd appreciate it. My hair doesn't look that dry or frizzy, but the breakage is driving me mad. I am also going to try Kerastase shampoo and conditioner. Has anyone tried Kerastase?
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
I did try Kerastase conditioner, and I like it very much.
You can also try Ojon. I used it only one time (I just got it), and I like it a lot. Here is a link: http://www.ojonhaircare.com/
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Ojon's suppose to be good, a bit pricey though. If your hair's damaged I'd try protein packs and then a deep conditioner like Ojon. If there's a Sally's near you I'd recommend the Generic version of Joico K-Pak Reconstructor, it's a great product for like $5. If you use shampoo, do that before. Then work the reconstructor into your wet hair and wrap it in a plastic shower cap (WalMart sells disposable ones for cheap) or even plastic wrap. Then ideally, you would use some kind of heat. You could warm a damp towel in the microwave (carefully, they can singe) and wrap that around your head for about 30 minutes. You can also use a hair dryer aimed at your hair, or a hood dryer if you have one. Then rinse the DT out and -- important -- follow with a moisturizing conditioner. This is essential after a protein treatment and prevents the excess protein from making your hair feel rough.

I remember when I got the japanese hair straightening done when I was in Korea a few years back with my mom, had the same prob with breakage.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

I use Kerastase religiously. I've used so many of their products, but I find that the most simple of their ranges is the most effective: Bain Satin and Lait Vital. Lait Vital, which is an extremely light conditioner, is brilliant--it gives just enough moisture and leaves your hair feeling and smelling really clean, not over-conditioned. For yourself, you may want to try out the oleo-relax sh&c, which are really great for a softening and strengthening boost.
My sister, who owns a salon, is raving about the brand new Logics line, which she says turned her brittle, overly-colored hair into a shiny, bouncy mop. So she says; when she sends me some I will give you an update,
Phytophlage would be other recommendations for you, as well as pre-shampoo treatments. I hope that helps you, and good luck. I've also heard excellent things about Ojon.

--avalange

p.s. stay away from bumble and bumble, it will make your hair DRY and unmanageable!

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme, thank you for the suggestion! There's a Sally near me. Thank goodness. I ordered Kerastase, but am afraid I can't keep up buying this line. So expensive. So the $5 product line at Sally would be a life saver. I got tons of disposable shower caps I saved from staying at hotels. haha These are coming in handy now. I really appreciate the great tips. I am going to pass them on to my friend, too. Her hair is awful, but I never told her that. She knows that her hair has got frizzy, so no need to remind her. LOL
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I was the only one that took those disposable shower caps from hotels Laughing

Oh also, if you want to save some on a deep conditioning treatment, you can make some yourself. Someone on here suggested half shea butter and half wheat germ left in overnight, but it smells REALLY bad! Another recipe:

1/2 of an avacado, chopped into small pieces
1 1/2 tbs of olive oil
3 tbs of honey
1/2 a can of coconut milk

Blend all the the ingredients together in a blender. Freeze the rest to preserve it. I love coconut milk, so rich and conditions well, I do coconut rinses.

Another one I do when I condition daily is

conditioner and about 1-2 tbs of olive oil with 1/2 tbs honey.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
avalange, great! Thank you for your post. I do appreciate and it helps. I bought the dermo-calm line, and tried the conditioner once. The shampoo has not yet arrived. I tried the Philip B line twice now, and like the results. I tried his rejuvenating oil and left it marinating overnight. It does seem to help. I used his entire line: shampoo, conditioner, finishing rinse, and oil (actually you oil first before shampoo). Seems good. The entire line cost me $40 from skinstore.com with 20% discount. Anyway if anyone is interested, I can post more results from Philip B. The only problem is the oil comes in a 2 oz bottle, and I think it will last only 3 times. It retails for $30 but skinstore sells it for $15 and I got 20% off. So even that, it's about $5 per treatment. I am not sure how many treatments I need, or if I have to order more. I tried Kerastase conditioner once, and think it helps to detangle my hair much better than Philip B deep conditioning rinse.
Ciao!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme, haha, nope, you're not the only one. My boyfriend thinks I'm a pack rat, but I told him that I'm not since a pack rat (in my own definition) is someone who packs lots of stuff they won't use, but I do use these things I lovingly collect. Just a matter of when! haha
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Kerastase has been a life saver for me! It is the only thing that I let touch my hair. I evn bring it with me to hair appointments (of course, my stylist thought I was nuts, until she felt the difference when washing my hair! Then, she had me write down the name and where I get it!)

I have never permed/straightened my hair, but I can tell you that I have very coarse, dry brittle frizzy hair. Very attractive, I know Laughing I had tried everything under the sun, nothing worked as well as I wanted. Sure, Kerastase is a MAJOR splurge, but it's soooo worth it. I finally have (almost) normal hair! I can finally grow it out without tons of breakage and frizz!!!

BTW, I use the Oleo Relax Shampoo and Mask, Plus the Aqua Oleum. Works wonders!!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
mper, thank you! I really appreciate your input. Are you using the mask in lieu of conditioner? Do you leave it on a long time? I am really afraid I'd get addicted to the stuff and my wallet would have a huge hole. LOL I am going to get the oleo-relax serum. I heard a lot of good things about it. I actually like Pantene serum, too.
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Your quite welcome. I'm always quite glad to spread the good word of Kerastase!!! Laughing I always get asked if I'm one of their sales people!

What I do, is shampoo with oleo relax, squeeze the excess water out of my hair, put the mask on as the conditioner. Then, I wrap my hair in a plastic shopping bag, and go watch tv for about an hour. Hop back in the shower, rinse, then put the aqua oleum on for about 5 minutes while I'm soaping. Rinse. Then I finish with a few pumps of the oleo relax serum.

I know, this sounds like a whole lot to do when simply washing your hair, but like I said, the results truly are worth it. I went home for xmas, and my family hasn't seen me since I started using it, and they thought I got extensions, or was wearing a wig. They just couldn't believe it was MY freakish hair. For xmas, I bought my mom the entire set, and she called me last night, half in tears, because she couldn't believe how nice her hair was.....she has hair like mine, only hers is waist length!!!

Hope this helps, and please forgive my rambling, I just get so excited about this stuff!!! Anxious

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:17 am      Reply with quote
mper, thank you for the routine. I will try to buy the rest, i.e. mask and serum. I already bought the shampoo and conditioner. I wonder where can you buy these at a discount. Do you buy yours online?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:19 am      Reply with quote
aries, weird or what but I just noticed you gave me a homemade formula for conditioner. Sounds yummy and I got to try it. I got another recipe that involves banana, honey, and eggs, but I must tell you that while it seems to work the banana left quite a big mess in my hair. lol
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:22 am      Reply with quote
Cherisse, I had a lot of damage a year and a half ago due to over-processing. Most of my hair was completely fried. What worked the best for me, was conditioner-only shampoos, phyto 9 leave-in (sometimes 3x a day) and phytocitrus mask left on overnight.

Unfortunately, nothing will repair damage like that; the best you can do is make it a little more manageable. I had frequent trims and last month, I cut off the last 3 inches of damaged hair. My hair is just touches my shoulders, but it is so nice to have healthy hair again.

Good luck! Smile
Genie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:03 am      Reply with quote
I love Keratase shampoos and conditioners! My favorite shampoo is the volumatif one. I try to switch to a cheaper shampoo once in awhile and keep coming back.

After any processing of my hair, my mom (former salon owner) always drenches my hair in Joico K-Pak, puts a disposable shower on me and sets me up in her portable dryer. It makes my hair so shiny and soft.

Good luck!
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:10 am      Reply with quote
My hair is growing quickly after I started using Mane N'Tail shampoo and conditioner.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
aries, weird or what but I just noticed you gave me a homemade formula for conditioner. Sounds yummy and I got to try it. I got another recipe that involves banana, honey, and eggs, but I must tell you that while it seems to work the banana left quite a big mess in my hair. lol

I tried the whole banana thing once too, took FOREVER to wash that crud out of my hair. I hear avocodo works nicely too along with mayo.

Oh here's a good read, I found it very informative.

http://p069.ezboard.com/fblackbeautyblackhair86911frm13.showMessage?topicID=652.topic

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
I tried the straight perm and now my hair is breaking a lot. I am trying the Philip B haircare line, but would appreciate any help on what else may be effective to salvage my hair. Please don't tell me to cut it or I'd cry. I got a pixie cut 3 years ago. Never again! A friend's hair looks horrible now, too, because she did the straight perm so many times now. It's totally lifeless and frizzy. She said she's going to just grow it out, but if I got any great tips from you, I'll pass them on to her, too. She'd appreciate it. My hair doesn't look that dry or frizzy, but the breakage is driving me mad. I am also going to try Kerastase shampoo and conditioner. Has anyone tried Kerastase?

i used kerastase years ago but i am not that impressed to be honest even though my stylist (who i love) keeps trying to get me to buy it. if you have hair which breaks like mine does you must try redken anti-snap range. they have a mask which is a life saver and also a leave in conditioner which is excellent. use it every day for a mth or so at first until your hair feels better and then twice a week. use the mask once a week. Smile
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I get almost all of my Keratase from Ebay now. There used to be a seller on Amazon that I liked, but they went out of business....selling too cheap, not enough profit I guess!

Anyways, I can usually get the mask for about $60, and I just recently found a box of Aqua Oleum for $161, free shipping (normally around $300) Box contains 30 vials, each of which a salon charges you $40 to $50 per treatment. Pretty good deal! Saved about $1300! I'm trying to get the spa at the Inn I work at to take advantage of this!

Make sure that the seller has a high rating, and alot of feedback, because at cheap prices, you have to watch out for the fakes! Hope this helps Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
aussiegirl wrote:
Cherisse wrote:

i used kerastase years ago but i am not that impressed to be honest even though my stylist (who i love) keeps trying to get me to buy it. if you have hair which breaks like mine does you must try redken anti-snap range. they have a mask which is a life saver and also a leave in conditioner which is excellent. use it every day for a mth or so at first until your hair feels better and then twice a week. use the mask once a week. Smile

Thank you, Aussiegirl. I will try Redken next. I decided I don't like Philip B line. My hair does not behave even though I use it as instructed. It's not doing anything more than my Pantene.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
Cherisse wrote:

I tried the whole banana thing once too, took FOREVER to wash that crud out of my hair. I hear avocodo works nicely too along with mayo.

Oh here's a good read, I found it very informative.

http://p069.ezboard.com/fblackbeautyblackhair86911frm13.showMessage?topicID=652.topic

Wow, thank you! Great stuff. I printed it out to read more at home after work. Happy new year.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
mper1327 wrote:
I get almost all of my Keratase from Ebay now. There used to be a seller on Amazon that I liked, but they went out of business....selling too cheap, not enough profit I guess!

Anyways, I can usually get the mask for about $60, and I just recently found a box of Aqua Oleum for $161, free shipping (normally around $300) Box contains 30 vials, each of which a salon charges you $40 to $50 per treatment. Pretty good deal! Saved about $1300! I'm trying to get the spa at the Inn I work at to take advantage of this!

Make sure that the seller has a high rating, and alot of feedback, because at cheap prices, you have to watch out for the fakes! Hope this helps Very Happy

Yes, mper, I'm definitely scared about fakes being sold on ebay. Today I got my Kerastase shampoo, but it's a small 250ml bottle. I wonder how long it will last?
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
The shampoo lasts a long time. Even in my long thick hair, a little goes a long way. I'm guessing my bottle of about the same size will last me at least 2-3 months! Dancing

Sun May 05, 2013 3:20 am      Reply with quote
Some shampoos are really helpful to stop hair fall and to grow new hair. I am using a minoxidil 15 since past 4 months and getting a wonderful results. I must suggest to use this product if you really love your hairs.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 05, 2013 6:35 am      Reply with quote
I didn't read thru all the replies (sorry) but have to say too much protein/keratin will cause your hair to break. Keratin is all the rage these days, but look for a "moisture recovery" treatment instead.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |