Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Protecting your skin when you go swimming...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
I came across Jurlique Body Care Oil and it's purpose is to apply on before you go swimming in chlorinated water.

I thought that was a great idea because my skin gets bothered by swimming pool water. This new year, I wanted to go swimming at least once a week.

Besides Jurlique product, what other namebrands sell a similar skincare purpose? What about protecting my hair?
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Skincare,

Funny, I just posted about this in my 'hard water' thread... Any oil in general will serve as an adequate barrier against the chlorinated water--in fact, come to think of it, vaseline might be the best, but I can't put that on my face. I use osea's hydrating oil or emu oil, and my skin is still a bit oily when I get out of the pool if I swim less than a mile at a time... I also rinse my whole body off immediately after swimming (duh).
For your hair, I have a practical and brilliant foolproof solution--apply a pre-shampoo hair treatment on your hair before you put on your swimming cap, and the just shampoo it out when you shower. I've used Burts Bees' Avocado Hair Butter, which is inexpensive and smells nice, and I also have Phytophlage Phytonectar and Monoi de Tahiti vanilla oil. the Monoi, while it smells the best out of the three, seems to do the least amount of work. If you have a sauna or steam room in the locker room, even better: steam your hair without the cap before showering for a couple of minutes! It's nice because swimming becomes a weekly treeatment, not certain destruction, of my hair. My favorite shampoo to use after these treatments is Phytojoba--so gentle and nourishing and has the most relaxing scent.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I read your thread but I felt unsure if hard water also meant chlorinated water.

I don't own a swimming cap...all my hair can't fit in and I find it pinches me.

Did you see the new Phyto joba hair mask?
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
hi again,

swimcaps are obligatory where i swim, so I bought a silicone one that stretches a lot and doesn't grab my hair as much as the latex ones do... I have not tried the new mask yet, I'll look for it! I just bought another supply of phytophanere, the hair and nails supplement, which I love... Oh, and hard water doesn't necessarily mean chlorinated water, but that is the main purifying agent in municipal water. I think iron and other minerals also render water 'hard.' all I know is if my conditioner washes out in 10 seconds, hard water!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, I will take a look at Sephora...as for the mask, it is new and pricy but may be worth it.
aussiegirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:20 am      Reply with quote
i find putting a leave in conditioner on may hair before putting on a swimming cap sorts out my hair and kind of stops it getting that chlorine smell. can anyone recommend a body wash which will get rid of the chlorine smell in your skin after swimming? its the one thing that puts me off swimming more often. thanks!
rickyhpierre
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Hi Skincare,

For your hair, I have a practical and brilliant foolproof solution--apply a pre-shampoo hair treatment on your hair before you put on your swimming cap, and the just shampoo it out when you shower. I've used Burts Bees' Avocado Hair Butter, which is inexpensive and smells nice, and I also have Phytophlage Phytonectar and Monoi de Tahiti vanilla oil. the Monoi, while it smells the best out of the three, seems to do the least amount of work. If you have a sauna or steam room in the locker room, even better: steam your hair without the cap before showering for a couple of minutes! It's nice because swimming becomes a weekly treeatment, not certain destruction, of my hair. My favorite shampoo to use after these treatments is Phytojoba--so gentle and nourishing and has the most relaxing scent.

--avalange

That's what I do and it really works, but I never thought of the sauna after, Brilliant idea! For the body I use Neutrogena body oil before and after, it keeps my skin nice and soft. I am in the pool 3 times a week for an hour, so without this I might be a wrinkled prune Very Happy

Ricky
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I came across Jurlique Body Care Oil and it's purpose is to apply on before you go swimming in chlorinated water.

I thought that was a great idea because my skin gets bothered by swimming pool water. This new year, I wanted to go swimming at least once a week.

Besides Jurlique product, what other namebrands sell a similar skincare purpose? What about protecting my hair?

i always wear a thick layer of moisturizing mask before i go swimming.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:29 am      Reply with quote
I've always felt bad about all my products ending up in the pool after I swim... But let's not even go there!

--avalange

la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:34 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
swimcaps are obligatory where i swim, so I bought a silicone one that stretches a lot and doesn't grab my hair as much as the latex ones do...

oooh!!! where did you get this? what brand? when i come back to paris at the end of january i'm finally joining a gym for rehab and swimcaps are obligatory as well. i have disgustingly thick and long hair and have never found a cap that holds it all in....

p.s. PM me if you need anything from the States. i'll be in LA for three weeks.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
when i was reading Mario Badescu product guide, i found they actually have a protection cream for swimming!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
bonsoir lavie,

The cap is made by TYR, here is a link to it:

http://www.the-swim-store.com/product.php?pd_id=LCS

It is much thicker and has a better 'slip' than those crappy latex ones that pull all of my hair out!
One thing: when you slather avocado butter all over your head along with a phyto scalp treatment, the thing wants to slip off your head at times. But it is better than letting all that chlorine into my porous hair!
re: your hair: disgustingly thick and long? That's a first! Who wouldn't want a mane of long, thick hair???
Re: things from LA; I cannot think of anything at the moment, but if you get a chance, make sure to visit "naimie's" in the valley--the best beauty supply store EVER! My family is in LA, and I hound them for boxes of caramel kiss hair color by feria and drugstore supplements already. Thank you so much for asking!
Happy new year!

--avalange

p.s. what gym are you joining? I was thinking of joining one too, right now I just go to the olympic size swimming pool at les halles (Suzanne Berlioz), and I was thinking of adding some pilates classes into the mix.

avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="rickyhpierreFor the body I use Neutrogena body oil before and after, it keeps my skin nice and soft. I am in the pool 3 times a week for an hour, so without this I might be a wrinkled prune Very Happy

Ricky[/quote]

This sounds like an excellent as well as cost-effective solution, thanks Ricky!

--avalange

poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
wow what a great thread! The only thing I ever thought of was rinsing my hair to get the chlorine out. This is a wonderful idea. Is it uncomfortable at all to slather oil on before swimming?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
I went swimming for the first time in a looong time!
What an experience! I went to a community swimming pool and I was sooo disgusted! :-& Not talking
I arrived and found out that there is only one change room that women, men, and children can use.
The shower room is shared also. I was so grossed out because when I was in the pool, I could have a good view of this open shower room. Some Asian men who were done with their swimming went to take a shower. They lowered their pants!!! It was disgusting to see their naked bodies! So gross!!!! Do they not know anything about body maintence? I can't get over that and what a way to end the year! To view that!? I do plan calling and write to the Mayor to complain!
There was about 4 or 5 teenage girls whom I was sharing my swimming lane with. I spoke to them and told them how shocked I am to see these men shower and everything is out in the open. One girl said "you should see this old man who comes here in a speedo(sp?) bikini!" So gross!!!

About Jurlique body oil, I slathered it onto my dry skin allover. The oil felt thick, but smelled nice and killed the chlorine smell. I thought I had applied a lot of oil on my skin but later on when I got home, I raised the glass bottle up in the light and noticed that I did not use much. As for my hair, I applied Egyptian Magic All Purpose skin & hair cream onto my dry hair. Tied my hair back and then I went for my swim. After my swim, I thought the oil came off but realized it was still on. When I got home, I scrubbed off the oil, which did not take any effort so that the oil would not clog my pores. I really enjoyed Jurlique Body Oil and will repurchase.

I bought it in Toronto because it was on sale...30% discount, so I took advantage of it but I do plan to purchase it from EDS.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |