Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Job Offer!!! Need advice!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, so a few weeks ago I helped out a friend as a production assistant to see what it was like and get myself in the door at the marketing company she works freelance for. Well, I just got a call from one of the managers at the company and she needs a Production Director for a spring catalog. I'm actually off tomorrow so I told her I would call her mid-morning to discuss the details.

I'm absolutely THRILLED about this opportunity, but here's the deal. She stated that she would need me right away through about March 1st. So, I'm assuming she wants me to work freelance like my friend does. Well, the problem is, I currently have a nice paying full-time job with all of the perks, so jumping to a 2-month freelance job is obviously a huge hang up for me, even though it pays almost twice what I'm currently making (NICE!). My plan is to let her know how much I really want to do this, but also find out if there is a long-term opportunity with the company assuming everything works out and they like me and all. I think that if she says there is a good chance for long-term employment, that would be the only way I could agree to do this, right? I mean giving up a steady job even though I hate it would be crazy if she said there was absolutely nothing available after March.

I also have to let her know that I can't work immediately since I need to give my current employer a 2-week notice, but could work evenings to get started. I've been in this management position for 4 years and it just wouldn't be right for me to up and leave like that. I hope that won't be a deal breaker.

So, given all of this does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Or anything I shouldn't do or say when I talk to her tomorrow. I'm just soooo excited about this! Thanks in advance everyone!!! Very Happy
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
My opinion is yes it's risky to give up your guaranteed wage for just a 2 month position so yes you need to find out if there is a chance for a permanent position.

On the other hand, I also think life is too short and if you're doing a job you hate, then get out!

If you can't work out your notice, then it wasn't meant to be.

Good luck Smile
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
Some random thoughts:

Can you work evenings and weekends (and keep your regular job)?

If you wanted a long-term job with them you'd probably have to get something in writing. I'm not sure how legally-binding a verbal would be "yeah, do this temp project and there's a good chance we'll give you a regular job".

Also consider your job pays benefits - freelance won't.

Good job on having a conscious and giving 2 weeks! I believe in karma and giving 2 weeks is the respectable thing to do.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Could you take a leave of absense from the first job? Some companies are really good about that when they don't have to pay you. That way, you'd have both.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
c4ward wrote:
Could you take a leave of absense from the first job? Some companies are really good about that when they don't have to pay you. That way, you'd have both.

Unfortunately I work for the government and they frown upon taking this type of leave.

Rjez wrote:
If you wanted a long-term job with them you'd probably have to get something in writing. I'm not sure how legally-binding a verbal would be "yeah, do this temp project and there's a good chance we'll give you a regular job".

I know that it wouldn't be a definite commitment, but I need to at least know that an opportunity is there before I just take a 2-month assignment. I plan to let her know about my situation, concerns, etc. but also ensure that she understands how much I want this as well. The evening and weekend thing will also be an option. I just agree with sarahb that life is too short not to take some risks, especially if you are miserable in the job you are currently in. Besides my family could always back me up if need be...knock on wood!

And regarding the benefits, it wouldn't really matter to me if I have to take out my own policies as I would be making almost twice as much as I currently do!
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
I agree it's risky. But (BIG But), I have to go with sarahb in that life really IS too short to do a job you hate.

A year ago I quit a very good paying local government job that I hated. Didn't have ANYTHING on the horizon AND I was 55 at the time. Gave 5 weeks notice and gone....

Amazing opportunity came up just a couple of months later. It fell into my lap, so to speak. My local vet asked if I'd like to do it and I said, "YES!!!". I now work from home as an Executive Director of a new animal charity. I'm setting it up and running it.

So, get your questions answered. If satisfied, do go for it! It sounds like an amazing opportunity.

Ari

p.s. I've always been the cautious type and wouldn't have done this sort of thing before. I'm sure I missed opportunities because of that.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
hey tamgirl,
first of all, congratulations on this prospective new job and position-- its great that you are heading in the direction where you can be excited about what you do, after all, if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life Wink
as for what you should say to the boss of the freelance position: exactly what you told us; you are excited about the prospect about working for them, but given your circumstances, that you need a little assurance that their is potential for a permanent position, on the contingency that it works for both parties of course. i think that this is not only fair, but it speaks volumes about your character and sense of loyalty to respectfully give your two-weeks. in fact, those are exactly the type of people they want on board. goodluck and again congratulations!
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I think it sounds like an exciting opportunity! Just be sure if you do take it and if they can't guarantee anything permanent, that you feel comfortable financially for a little while until you were able to find something else after it ended. If this is something you really want to do though, it sounds like a GREAT opportunity to get your foot in the door. I hope it works out for you! Smile
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
As cornball as it sounds - you gotta do what you love (as long as you can pay the bills!)..If you have enough of a financial cushion to allow for a pocket of unemployment following the contract (if nothing permanent evolves) and if your current job sucks - then take a cautious leap! Just make sure that you don't corner yourself into a position where you might compromise your current assets (unless you don't care about stuff like that)...First and foremost, you have to be happy - so weigh out the pros and cons and then hit the gas! If you can't afford to do it full-time, maybe you can convince this prospective employer to take you on part-time...If you are really game, perhaps you could swing the contract and keep your day job for the time being....
Good luck -and let us know what you do!
Pudoodles
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone! I will report back after I get off the phone with her tomorrow. I truly appreciate all of your advice and support! Very Happy
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Okay so I just got off the phone and I think it went really well (fingers crossed). She basically told me a bit about the job and said it ran through the first week in March, but she wasn't sure what my availability was like. So then I proceeded to tell her about my current job and that I'm really looking to get into the marketing field long-term. She said that she and the owner have actually been talking about making this a full-time position b/c they have a high turn-over rate and it's tiring on them to keep training new people to cover this catalog. The only reason they haven't before is because the catalog I would be producing isn't a year-round job (more like 8 months), but that they were talking about giving this person other assignments in the off time.

I also told her about the two-week notice and she said she would definitely want me to give it and that she could handle the project for another couple of weeks. She still wants me to meet with her in person to go over the job assignment and make sure I want to do it. So, I'm planning to take off a couple of hours early on Tuesday to go meet with her. She said that would also give her some time to talk to the owner about making it full-time. So, please keep your fingers crossed for me! Pray I will report back after I meet with her Tuesday. Thanks again everyone! Very Happy
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:50 am      Reply with quote
That sounds great!!! I'm so happy for you! Dancing
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:52 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Okay so I just got off the phone and I think it went really well (fingers crossed). She basically told me a bit about the job and said it ran through the first week in March, but she wasn't sure what my availability was like. So then I proceeded to tell her about my current job and that I'm really looking to get into the marketing field long-term. She said that she and the owner have actually been talking about making this a full-time position b/c they have a high turn-over rate and it's tiring on them to keep training new people to cover this catalog. The only reason they haven't before is because the catalog I would be producing isn't a year-round job (more like 8 months), but that they were talking about giving this person other assignments in the off time.

I also told her about the two-week notice and she said she would definitely want me to give it and that she could handle the project for another couple of weeks. She still wants me to meet with her in person to go over the job assignment and make sure I want to do it. So, I'm planning to take off a couple of hours early on Tuesday to go meet with her. She said that would also give her some time to talk to the owner about making it full-time. So, please keep your fingers crossed for me! Pray I will report back after I meet with her Tuesday. Thanks again everyone! Very Happy

EXCELLENT news!

I didn't realize how unhappy you were in your present job. Like everyone says - life is too short to be in an unhappy career.

I was making an obscene amount of money at my last job but was soooo unhappy that the money just didn't matter anymore.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:03 am      Reply with quote
That sounds so promising! I'll be sure to keep my fingers (and toes) crossed for you! Wishing you the best of luck! Very Happy
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Great news TAMgirl and best of luck on Tuesday Very Happy I'd suggest you ask her why there's such a huge turnover rate though Confused
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
Great news TAMgirl and best of luck on Tuesday Very Happy I'd suggest you ask her why there's such a huge turnover rate though Confused

I know why. The problem is that they are currently only contracting this work out and there are several month gaps in between projects. So they train someone to do the first catalog which requires about a 4 month commitment and when that's over they don't have another project for them for another 2-3 months. By then those people have moved on to other jobs and the company is stuck having to find someone all over again. If they employ someone, not contract with them, full-time, then the person will most likely stick around for a long time. At least I would anyways! Very Happy
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Ahh, that makes sense then, OK, I'll stop worrying Laughing
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Way to go, Tamgirl! Sounds like you are in the driver's seat - which is what you want! I hope it all pans out in your favour - working at something you love is the best feeling in the world!
Pudoodles Very Happy
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:19 am      Reply with quote
TAMGirl - perhaps you can take the initiative and start creating ideas of what you could do for them during the off-time? When I've been a hiring manager I've always had success approaching management with a list of duties and salary comparisons (vs. outsourcing).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
TAMGirl - perhaps you can take the initiative and start creating ideas of what you could do for them during the off-time? When I've been a hiring manager I've always had success approaching management with a list of duties and salary comparisons (vs. outsourcing).

I'll definitely be thinking, but they already have ideas. They are a very large marketing company and she mentioned that they could put me on some other accounts during the off times. If you have any suggestions for me to give them, please do tell! Very Happy

Thanks to everyone again for your support! I will keep you posted!
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
They are a very large marketing company and she mentioned that they could put me on some other accounts during the off times.

Perhaps you can list a few transferrable job skills? It might be skills they've already thought of ... but it's great if a candidate is so eager that they are also brainstorming.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Okay so I just got back and now I'm not so sure any more. Rolling Eyes While the job still sounds pretty good, she didn't give me an indication yet on salary (but asked what my salary requirement was Embarassed ) and what she said about the vacation/sick makes me worry a bit. I know that I am VERY spoiled in my current job because I accrue a LOT of vacation time. I think it's about 4 weeks/year and that doesn't include another 10 days of holiday time off. So technically, I could take 6 full weeks off a year, not counting sick time. Sick time is even more absurd in the government since it never stops accruing and always carries over from year to year. So back to the new job. She said that everyone gets 4 "personal" days per year which can be used as sick or vacation time, whatever you want. Then she went on to say that you accrue leave over time and although she wasn't really clear on how it works (she's under a different leave system from being grandfathered in) she's pretty sure that after 1 full year you earn 1 week. Then after 5 years you've earned like 2 weeks. Is this really how it is in the non-government world? I just think it's crazy that it takes 5 years of working there before you get 2 whole weeks! Shock

Again, I know I'm spoiled with the time I have available to me in my current job, so now I just have to decide which one is worth it. A job I hate currently but can take pretty much any time off, or one I would really like but never get to take any time off? WHY do I have to choose?!? Mad With traveling being one of my passions I'm inclined to stay. I have applied for another job within our system (different location and under different management which is KEY to why I've been so miserable), so I probably should hold out on that. Besides, if I stay with a company that gives me more time, then I could really consider training to become a dog physical therapist which I would LOVE to do. I know I'm such a lunatic but I just want to be happy with my job! Laughing

By the way, the company is going to call me Friday or Monday when they've made a decision and let me know.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
I am surprised about the vacation time! Most jobs I've been at (or interviewed at) have either given 2 or 3 weeks to start (acruing on a monthly basis), plus usually sick/personal days extra. Having to work 5 years to get two weeks off would be really hard!

You'll know what the right decision is when the time comes. It's always scary contemplating a big move like this, but you'll know in your gut what would be best for you. Both will have their pros and cons ... so you just need to decide which things are more important. Good luck!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
c4ward wrote:

Unfortunately I work for the government and they frown upon taking this type of leave.

Rjez wrote:

I know that it wouldn't be a definite commitment, but I need to at least know that an opportunity is there before I just take a 2-month assignment. I plan to let her know about my situation, concerns, etc. but also ensure that she understands how much I want this as well. The evening and weekend thing will also be an option. I just agree with sarahb that life is too short not to take some risks, especially if you are miserable in the job you are currently in. Besides my family could always back me up if need be...knock on wood!

And regarding the benefits, it wouldn't really matter to me if I have to take out my own policies as I would be making almost twice as much as I currently do!

Yes, I agree, they do frown on personal leave. But there is this guy I know, he always does it but never gets fired. I know that they try to get rid of him, but he is always one step ahead. I don't get how he does it? hmm
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Okay so I just got back and now I'm not so sure any more. Rolling Eyes While the job still sounds pretty good, she didn't give me an indication yet on salary (but asked what my salary requirement was Embarassed ) and what she said about the vacation/sick makes me worry a bit. I know that I am VERY spoiled in my current job because I accrue a LOT of vacation time. I think it's about 4 weeks/year and that doesn't include another 10 days of holiday time off. So technically, I could take 6 full weeks off a year, not counting sick time. Sick time is even more absurd in the government since it never stops accruing and always carries over from year to year. So back to the new job. She said that everyone gets 4 "personal" days per year which can be used as sick or vacation time, whatever you want. Then she went on to say that you accrue leave over time and although she wasn't really clear on how it works (she's under a different leave system from being grandfathered in) she's pretty sure that after 1 full year you earn 1 week. Then after 5 years you've earned like 2 weeks. Is this really how it is in the non-government world? I just think it's crazy that it takes 5 years of working there before you get 2 whole weeks! Shock

Again, I know I'm spoiled with the time I have available to me in my current job, so now I just have to decide which one is worth it. A job I hate currently but can take pretty much any time off, or one I would really like but never get to take any time off? WHY do I have to choose?!? Mad With traveling being one of my passions I'm inclined to stay. I have applied for another job within our system (different location and under different management which is KEY to why I've been so miserable), so I probably should hold out on that. Besides, if I stay with a company that gives me more time, then I could really consider training to become a dog physical therapist which I would LOVE to do. I know I'm such a lunatic but I just want to be happy with my job! Laughing

By the way, the company is going to call me Friday or Monday when they've made a decision and let me know.

WOW, your current job is really good then. As for the personal days off with the possible new job, that is typical. It seems to be getting worse in the job market. Confused
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |