Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Can anyone help a girl picky about mascara?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys! I just ordered JM, and now I'm trying to find a good mascara to go along with the fab lashes I will have (hopefully!)

Here is my laundry list for my HG mascara:

1.No clumps
2.No smudging
3.No (extreme) stiffness of the lashes...I like mine to be somewhat flexible
4.Good volume and lengthening
5.Bonus would be if they were slightly glossy

I have tried a few mascaras, I'm now using Loreal Panoramic curl, but stopped using that because it didn't look at all natural, lashes all clumped together.

So girls if you have a Holy Grail mascara you think I should try, please share!!! Very Happy

ps--told you I was picky Razz

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
I thought this thread would pick up quickly!!! Maybe you guys don't need mascara anymore due to lash growth serums!!!! Dancing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
My absolute favourite that I come back to time and time again, is Lancome Definicils. LOVE this stuff! I find it doesn't clump nor smudge (and I have a big problem with smudging since I need to wear concealer under my eyes), gives nice length (although not hugely exagerated), and I think it doesn't make lashes feel too stiff. I just wish it were cheaper (I hate paying so much for something you're supposed to throw out after around 3 months), but it's totally worth it for me.
Angyl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
I was using panoramic curl too, but it started getting REALLY clumpy about a month in. I'm surrently using Milani's curling mascara, which was fine at first, but is not so good anymore. Kind of stiff.

I'm thinking about trying that CG one with the new brush? I wish i could find one that did hte curling for me. My eyelash curler pinches my eyelids Crying or Very sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
I really love Senna's TLC mascara and Lancome's Definicils would be my second choice!
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
I like Lancombe Definicils too. My only complaint is it seems to get clumpy on the wand and not go one as well, within a couple of months of use. Another cheap one I like, that has a slim, brushless wand, is Mabellines Lash Discovery. It coats nicely, but will not thicken your lashes.
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
I also like Lancome's Definicils.
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I used to love Lancome Hypnose. BUT now that I've tried Dr Hauschka, I will not go back. It meets your criteria, and the neatest thing about it, my lashes aren't crispy when I wear it. They feel soft and conditioned.
klaux

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Loreal Voluminous is my all time favorite - no clumps at all!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Shiseido's Natural Combing Mascara is nice, one of my fav mascaras that give me defined natural lashes but it won't really give you volume or length. You could give Lancome's L'extreme a try - no volume but lengthens and definitely not clumpy or stiff either. I think it's quite difficult to meet your criteria because all the mascaras that give you a nice natural look won't help with lengthening or volume and all and anything that helps with volume will generally be heavier and may clump more readily.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
the best thing I've tried that I can layer without clumps is Duwop's Lash Laquer (double-ended with gloss and mascara) and Shu Uemura's Basic mascara.

But ... I don't think those give too much volume or lengthening.

Glossy - Clinique High Impact dries glossy but Duwop's has a clear gloss or you can always pick up Bourjois' Wet Look gloss to add on top of mascara.

Now that my lashes are getting really long I'm looking more for no clumps and volume. I was going to try LashFusion but my Sephora doesn't have it yet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I like Lancombe Definicils too. My only complaint is it seems to get clumpy on the wand and not go one as well, within a couple of months of use.

I sometimes find that too, however the last time it happened I just took a cloth and wiped down the wand and it really seemed to help. Guess you waste some product that way, but it did make the brush nice and non-clumpy again and it seemed to last for a while before the wand got a bit clumpy again. Smile
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
I looooove my DiorShow. Another one that will do in a pinch in Max Factor 2000 Calories. I also like CG's Super Thick Lash. I use these last 2 when I'm feelin' cheap!
jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:30 am      Reply with quote
I'd like to recommend Lash Queen Mascara from Helena Rubinstein. Fabulous one!

Diorshow is my favorite,but maybe a bit stiff.
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanx guys! Looks like the majority is leaning towards Lancome. I'm not too concerned about the price if it worked. Hell, I just plopped down a huge chunk for JM! Laughing

I've heard such good things about DiorShow and Maybellines Full and Soft on other websites (MUA) They seem like two different extremes, maybe will try Lancome, then Full n soft to see if that works. If that doesn't, maybe splurge on Dior. I have never found a good mascara, but then again, by my criteria..... Rolling Eyes Wink

Any other suggestions are very welcome. This girl needs help before she spends more on mascara than she did on her JM! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:26 am      Reply with quote
two others to look out for is the new formulation by Sisley and by By Terry.
sharons123
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:36 am      Reply with quote
I used to use Lancome Definicils but changed to Mac Pro Lash about 2 years ago (or more) and have never looked back. It's a lovely mascara that doesn't clump or smudge.

I loved Lancome Definicils, but begruded paying all that money (I think it was about £14 or £15 at the time) for mascara. Mac is about £10, which I still think is quite expensive, but it's worth it Very Happy .

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:24 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I like Lancombe Definicils too. My only complaint is it seems to get clumpy on the wand and not go one as well, within a couple of months of use. Another cheap one I like, that has a slim, brushless wand, is Mabellines Lash Discovery. It coats nicely, but will not thicken your lashes.

M's Lash Discovery is my all-time favorite cheap mascara. I've tried many others, but keep going back to it!
I also like Dr. H's for daytime wear.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Shiseido Mascara Base is HG & THE BEST! It will make any other mascara you put on top of it work so much better & will definitely add volume. I don't really need to wear mascara on the top anymore, unless I need to look extra fabulous, but I always use this on my bottom lashes since growing my upper ones with JM. This is b/c my top lashes look fake since they're so long, especially on a pacific islander girl like me. I find that using the Shiseido base followed by mascara evens my bottom lashes out with the top for more balanced proportion.

There is also a product called Fast Lash that is fluffy fibers that you tap onto your lashes after putting one coat of mascara & then adding another coat of mascara. You can use it to add volume or just at the very tips of your lashes to add more length. Depending on how much you use, you can achieve the false lash effect for special occassions, without have to wear falsies.

For very natural, no clump & good for your lashes: Pur Minerals (no tar-good lash conditioning ingredients, Dr. H (no clumps no matter how many layers you slather on) Terry (contains proteins that are good for the lashes)

I also like Cover Girl Lash Exact & Lash Discovery, for no clumps, but these are especially good for the bottom lashes.

Volumizing Mascaras: High end - DiorShow or YSL faux cils - ysl also has beautiful & subtle shades, ie. plum, blue, etc. Drugstore: L'oreal Voluminous. Although, with the volumizing formulations, you do have to use a metal lash comb to avoid any clumping - Tweezerman makes a good one.
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you guys for all of your wonderful suggestions There are just way too many mascaras out there to try!

I popped by walmart on the way homem from work last night, and on a whim, picked up the Maybelline Full n Soft (waterproof). I was really amazed! It fit every single one of my criteria, except I did find it to smudge a bit under the eye (strange for a waterproof mascara....) Very easy to swipe away though, and washes off decently. Made my puny lashes longer, and thicker....without ANY clumps! That's a wow for me, because everything I have used clumps on me. I will keep using it for awhile, until I get bored (or fed up with smudgies) then move on to the next (hopefully) fabulous product! Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, and one more thing.....has anyone tried cake mascara? I know Paula Dorf and I think Lola Cosmetics makes some. I've always wanted to try it, but sounded it bit weird. Let me know if you've had any experience with this! Confused

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
ive been doing this for a long time: instead of using a real mascara, i use clear on my lashes, then carefully paint them with liquid eyeliner.

here, you have control over how much color you use and if you screw up with the clear, you can fix it super easily.

you dont get clumps if you have a good liquid eyeliner, and the smudging issue also has something to do with the eyeliner. your lases are flexible this way, because both products are usually really light.

hope this helps. Smile
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
I havent found my HG mascara but I think Neutrogena Weightless Mascara would fit your requirements. It has no wax in it so it does not feel stiff or thick on your lashes. It it a great everyday mascara...for more drama I like Full & Soft or Max Factor 2000 Calorie but these both flake like crazy. Good luck.
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Manda--What kind of clear mascara do you use? Everyone I've tried makes my lashes clump like crazy! It would be great to find a good one for when I want a no-makeup look, but a little curl....especially when my lashes start growing out

Olivia--Maybe I'll try the Neutrogena one next.....I love the effect of the Full n Soft, but the smudgies are driving me nutters!!! It may be do to the fact that when I'm outside (I live and work by the water, so even tho it's cold, I still like to spend time out there on my breaks and such) my eyes water with the cold and wind a bit. But it says right on the freakin tube "WATERPROOF" Brick wall It's NYE, and after work, I'm going to do a little partying....hopefully it will last a couple of hours at least.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I think you might like Tarte's Light, Camera, Lashes mascara. It gives a little bit of volume, and it goes on so smoothly and so naturally that I don't even need to comb it afterwards--- I just apply and go. I prefer a more dramatic look, so when I have time to apply it properly I always prefer Lancome's Fatale, but when I'm in a hurry I reach for this one because I can just apply it and go.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |