Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mineral Make up Primer?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
Well, after a lot of trial and error, I've found that my mineral make up (I wear Alima) stays on a lot longer and looks a lot nicer if I use a primer, so now I'm on the hunt for the perfect primer. After suffering for months with a face full of clogged pores my skin is finally clear, so I wouldn't touch one of those nasty silicone-based primers with a 10 foot pole. I've been using Jurlique's Rose Silk dust and it's been working well--- smells great, hasn't caused a single clogged pore, and make's my make up look nice. However, some days it's just a bit drying, so I thought I'd look at other options. Has anyone used silk powder? I hear it's a good, less-drying option. I also have a primer from meow cosmetics that I haven't tried yet, so I'll test it and report back, but I'd also like to hear what everyone else uses. TIA!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Liz,

I just got the EDM 100% silk dust. The finish is a million times better than Jurlique but is makes me itch like crazy! Im wondering if there is some mica hiding in there! Confused That would be really lame...

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
Hey Liz,

I just got the EDM 100% silk dust. The finish is a million times better than Jurlique but is makes me itch like crazy! Im wondering if there is some mica hiding in there! Confused That would be really lame...

Hi vonstella! That's really odd about the itching... Confused Is it making you break out at all?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
I love CareKate's Silk Dust. It's lovely.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
cedar wrote:

I tried a sample of this in lavender and LOVED it--- I'll def. order some as soon as I use up my Jurlique. However, I vaguely remember hearing about carekate making a new version that contains silk dust--- is there any truth to this I wonder?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
vonstella wrote:
Hey Liz,

Hi vonstella! That's really odd about the itching... Confused Is it making you break out at all?

No breakouts and controls oil like a dream AND no white cast! However, I can hardly stand to have it on my face. I think Im going to send it back for an exchange as there was a bit of a labeling misshap. I want to make sure its just not the batch I got cause it works SOOOO well.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
cedar wrote:

I wanted to try it but I noticed that her version contained talc, which I dont use.

cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, sorry Vonstella. I have the citrus and it is so lovely.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
cedar wrote:
Oh, sorry Vonstella. I have the citrus and it is so lovely.

No need to say sorry! Very Happy I bet the citrus is fab!

miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have started to stray and began using several types of silicon based primers, but after trying all the "big brands" like La Prairie, Clarins, Smashbox etc.. I still prefer Pure Luxe Line eraser... and I still can't tolerate much more than 2-3 times a week without feeling clogged. I think I have this unreal love affair with primers and highlighters, they make my skin look great for about 3-4 hours until the oilies start and then everything goes into meltdown mode.

I find the Silk Dust slightly drying too, but somehow when I used my glycerine emulsion it made my regular Pure Luxe MMU (more drying than Alima) go on like cream.. even on top of a generous dusting of Silk Dust. Perhaps you could try a primer which is more moisturising to go underneath the Silk Dust, or just use pure silk during the winter months.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:32 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
cedar wrote:

I tried a sample of this in lavender and LOVED it--- I'll def. order some as soon as I use up my Jurlique. However, I vaguely remember hearing about carekate making a new version that contains silk dust--- is there any truth to this I wonder?

FYI - My Silk Dust actually contains silk powder, unlike Jurlique's version (at least, they don't list "silk powder" as one of their ingredients").

Vonstella - the first batch of Silk Dust I made did NOT include talc and it was lovely. But I personally haven't noticed any "performance" differences between the original version I made and the newer one that has talc added....I've got to make a new batch of Silk Dust this weekend so I can easily leave out the talc ingredient if that's what you guys would prefer.

BTW, I'm toying with the idea of adding ground pearl powder -- the stuff from "Pearl Creme/Paste" fame -- to my Silk Dust recipe (or maybe making a separate version that includes pearl powder) because it is self-adjusting and would mattify oily skin but wouldn't over-dry those with normal-to-dry skin. Does that sound like something you guys would be interested in?

Just let me know! If there's ever an ingredient in one of my formulations that you don't like or have questions about, just ask. I'm not necessarily "married" to a specific ingredient if I can find a viable alternative, but I don't know what you guys want unless you tell me! Case in point: ManSlayerLiz's allergy to castor and emu oils have led me to eliminate those ingredients in all but one of my recipes (La Vie En Rose's "Bruise Balm") because there were other oils I could substitute that would provide the same benefits. But you gotta TELL ME these things or I won't know!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:37 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
manslayerliz wrote:
vonstella wrote:
Hey Liz,

No breakouts and controls oil like a dream AND no white cast! However, I can hardly stand to have it on my face. I think Im going to send it back for an exchange as there was a bit of a labeling misshap. I want to make sure its just not the batch I got cause it works SOOOO well.

FYI - you can order 100% PURE silk powder from TKB Trading -- that's what I use as the basis for my Silk Dust -- and that way you can be certain that there's no mica or other itchy stuff in it....here's the link: http://www.tkbtrading.com/index.php?item=315&ret=http%3A%2F%2F72.37.149.157%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D2%26category%3D13

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carekate. That sounds like a great idea to use the pearl powder. I LOVE your silk dust, but it is just a tad drying for me. I think that this would be a great option for us gals who aren't really on the oily side, but love the mattifying effects & primer benefits of your powder.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi carekate! I for one would LOVE to try a primer that contains pearl dust!! Although either way I def. plan on ordering a full-size jar of your lavender silk dust because it's waaaay better than Jurlique's. However, like vonstella, if I have a choice I def. prefer to go talc-free. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:

FYI - My Silk Dust actually contains silk powder, unlike Jurlique's version (at least, they don't list "silk powder" as one of their ingredients").

Vonstella - the first batch of Silk Dust I made did NOT include talc and it was lovely. But I personally haven't noticed any "performance" differences between the original version I made and the newer one that has talc added....I've got to make a new batch of Silk Dust this weekend so I can easily leave out the talc ingredient if that's what you guys would prefer.

BTW, I'm toying with the idea of adding ground pearl powder -- the stuff from "Pearl Creme/Paste" fame -- to my Silk Dust recipe (or maybe making a separate version that includes pearl powder) because it is self-adjusting and would mattify oily skin but wouldn't over-dry those with normal-to-dry skin. Does that sound like something you guys would be interested in?

Just let me know! If there's ever an ingredient in one of my formulations that you don't like or have questions about, just ask. I'm not necessarily "married" to a specific ingredient if I can find a viable alternative, but I don't know what you guys want unless you tell me! Case in point: ManSlayerLiz's allergy to castor and emu oils have led me to eliminate those ingredients in all but one of my recipes (La Vie En Rose's "Bruise Balm") because there were other oils I could substitute that would provide the same benefits. But you gotta TELL ME these things or I won't know!!

If you could make a talc-free version with real silk powder I would for sure buy from you! The talc was my only draw back.

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
Hey Liz,

V-- so sorry to hear your bad reaction to this - I've tried it, posted a review and it's absolutely lovely. It really is 100% silk dust and definitely reduces the shine before applying foundation. I'm very sensitive to talc, cornstarch, bismuth and rice powders, this stuff is perfect for me. Carina [owner of EM] posted on her blog that some of their products were mislabeled, I wonder if you were actually shipped the wrong product? Their customer service is so good, they'd probably do an exchange.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
vonstella wrote:
Hey Liz,

V-- so sorry to hear your bad reaction to this - I've tried it, posted a review and it's absolutely lovely. It really is 100% silk dust and definitely reduces the shine before applying foundation. I'm very sensitive to talc, cornstarch, bismuth and rice powders, this stuff is perfect for me. Carina [owner of EM] posted on her blog that some of their products were mislabeled, I wonder if you were actually shipped the wrong product? Their customer service is so good, they'd probably do an exchange.

Oh yes, I know! Ive already emailed them, I think I am going to exchange it just in case.

hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:43 am      Reply with quote
I've been using a mixture of pure silk powder and pearl powder as my primer for over a year. I love it!

Carrie, that's the mixture ... 2 parts silk, 1 part pearl [plus titanium dioxide and zinc oxide for sunscreen purposes] ... that I sent to you last July for your Mom.

It's the silk powder, however, that's self adjusting. The pearl powder is very healing and anti-inflammatory ... but the silk powder alone will absorb oil where the skin needs it to ... and retain moisture where the skin needs it to.

I've also used just straight silk powder [from TBK] and it's fine as well ... particularly as a primer or finishing powder.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
It's the silk powder, however, that's self adjusting. The pearl powder is very healing and anti-inflammatory ... but the silk powder alone will absorb oil where the skin needs it to ... and retain moisture where the skin needs it to.

That makes so much more sense now. I've been using Carrie's silk dust as primer + finisher for about 2 weeks prior to adding the pearl powder which I just did a few days ago when I got it. At first the silk dust really stuck to my flakies and left my skin feeling taut and dry. However a week into it that feeling was gone, and when I smile no tightness or those tiny lines when I stare at myself anymore - so my skin seemed to have adjusted to it. After using the pearl silk dust the first time I found that it left my skin SLIGHTLY taut but I had this big cyst I kept picking at Embarassed and by the end of the day it WAS less inflamed. I also found with the pearl powder added my skin felt fresher LONGER - with silk dust I wouldn't have to blot for 8 hours but sometimes with makeup on for that long your face feels a bit "icky", but with the pearl powder my face felt fresher and it had less oil at the 8 hour point.

I'll be writing a more detailed review about this later on when I've used this longer but what hpjrt said really makes sense as that's how it feels to me when I use it. The pearl cream doesn't feel as dry on now either after using it for a few days but I find it seems to make the parts with acne dryer - perhaps that proves it's working on my acne?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |