Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Donell Super Skin Brightening Cream (1 oz) Bioelements Urban Detox (29 ml / 1 floz) Juvena Pure Cleansing Refining Peeling (100 ml / 3.4 oz)
I want to wear earrings again!

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Shawna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies!

I have had my ears pierced since I was a young, awkward pre-teen girl, and I never had a problem with the piercings becoming irritated or infected... until a few years ago. I don't know exactly when this started happening, but every time I wear earrings the piercings are red/irritated/painful/crusty by the end of the day. This lasts for several days after wearing earrings, too.

This even happens when I wear good quality earrings like the ones I bought for my wedding.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can treat this area so my ears don't get angry every time I want to wear earrings? It's pretty unfortunate!

Thanks!
Shawna Smile
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
I had the same problem as I had my ears pierced when I was young and had to let them close up their were getting so infected. A few years ago I got them pierced again and the advice that I was given was not to wear studs but earings that you could move gently with no pressure on the ear lobes and it has really worked though it was hard to get earings that did not look like gypsy rings at the same but no trouble now. I had to dab them with a little antiseptic on a cotton bud every day but I am glad now that I did.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
This happens to me, too, when I don't wear earrings everyday. If I go too long without them, the piercings get irritated when I do try to wear a pair.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Me too. I have more or less given up on earrings.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
if you have sensitive skins, you have to wear earrings made of gold only.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
My ears took forever to heal, and became irritated at the drop of a hat. My nose piercing did the same thing.

I don't necessarily agree you have to wear only gold. I too was told this (my mom has the same problem and this is what she was told as well) because I was "allergic to everything else."
However, once I switched to stainless surgical steel hoops for my ears and also for my nose, it healed much better. This is what my doctor recommended. They were much easier to keep "gunk free" and I washed with an antibacterial soap (Provon Medicated Lotion Soap) I purchased at the piercer (NOT a mall piercer or anything, professional piercing studio where ALL they do is piercing...no tattoo either). There is also a wonderful sea salt spray that healed my nose and ears...it's called H2Ocean Purfied Ocean Salt Water spray.

Avoid Hydrogen Peroxide and Rubbing Alcohol!!!

Avoid sterling silver or cheaply made earrings though. Sterling silver is one of the most reactive metals to the skin. Bad news! And, well, cheap is self-explanatory.

You have to treat your piercing, whether in your ears or where ever, as a wound...since that is what it is. If I can conquer angry ear piercings...anyone can!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
My ears took forever to heal, and became irritated at the drop of a hat. My nose piercing did the same thing.

I don't necessarily agree you have to wear only gold. I too was told this (my mom has the same problem and this is what she was told as well) because I was "allergic to everything else."
However, once I switched to stainless surgical steel hoops for my ears and also for my nose, it healed much better. This is what my doctor recommended. They were much easier to keep "gunk free" and I washed with an antibacterial soap (Provon Medicated Lotion Soap) I purchased at the piercer (NOT a mall piercer or anything, professional piercing studio where ALL they do is piercing...no tattoo either). There is also a wonderful sea salt spray that healed my nose and ears...it's called H2Ocean Purfied Ocean Salt Water spray.

Avoid Hydrogen Peroxide and Rubbing Alcohol!!!

Avoid sterling silver or cheaply made earrings though. Sterling silver is one of the most reactive metals to the skin. Bad news! And, well, cheap is self-explanatory.

You have to treat your piercing, whether in your ears or where ever, as a wound...since that is what it is. If I can conquer angry ear piercings...anyone can!!!!

good to know, at least gold works for me it normally settles the irritation from sterling silver. yeah i gave up buying any cheap sterling silver earrings. will try stainless steel next time.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
I never wear sterling silver earrings anymore. I never knew about the reactivity and skin with this type of metal (I was just thinking "pure" like gold, ya know?)

I do wear gold still, but I say "no go" to sterling silver...at least to anything that goes in a piercing.

A pretty necklace or ring is another story...<hint to hubby!>

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Gold ones are the only ones I can wear without irritation.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I don't really think the holes are closing up and causing the irritation, but I guess I don't know. Once I get the ears to be less reactive, maybe I'll try wearing earrings more regularly as a preventative measure.

ParisTroika- when you say you wear surgical stainless steel hoops, is that the kind of thing you can find at jewelry stores? Or can I only find those at professional piercing boutiques? There are a lot of "Something Silver" stores near where I live and I wonder if it's all sterling. I want cute jewelry!

Smile
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Now, this is really weird. Got my ears pierced at 15 and I can't/couldn't wear 14-24K gold 'cause it really irritates and turns my skin greenish where it touches. Nickel is just asking for trouble for me. Sterling Silver earrings and anything with Stainless Steel posts are the only ones I've ever been able to wear. Sterling are my faves.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
I got mine from a professional piercer. I don't think you can find the surgical grade steel in jewelry stores or boutiques...I was told even though they say "surgical grade" they aren't. Plus, I professional piercer should sterilize it for you and place them in with gloves on. The stuff you get in boutiques is NOT sterilized, so putting them just adds to the problem.

The way I looked at it, while they were kinda plain, once I truly healed, I COULD wear cute earrings again.

I'm sure everyone is different. My doctor explicitly told me no sterling silver...but I can wear gold no problem.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
I believe I read that nickle, found in Sterling silver, is the culprit of itchy, red ears. 24K gold shouldnt pose any problems, or platinum.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Check these out-- I think they'd be perfect for someone with your condition! (cute, too!^-^)

http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.asp?WID=%7B60E5B73A%2D026E%2D4F72%2DBF67%2D87DDD2EC4518%7D&productid=1371

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Weird...I was thinking about this the other day. I have stopped wearing earrings completely. I have had my ears pierced a few times (not all over my ears, but the same place)and each time my ears got infected. I used the solution they sold me and numerous other anti-bacterial cleansers. Even if I wear earrings for a few hours, my ears become bothered.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Yes definitely becareful of the material the earring is made out of. I think sterling silver and gold are generally safe. Although I have heard of some people only able to tolerate white gold. Also, perhaps clean the earring with alcohol prior to wearing as well as the earring area. Another suggestion would be not wearing earrings to bed and do not get the ear area wet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
I used to get infections too, and I can second (third?) the surgical stainless steel posts.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Check these out-- I think they'd be perfect for someone with your condition! (cute, too!^-^)

http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.asp?WID=%7B60E5B73A%2D026E%2D4F72%2DBF67%2D87DDD2EC4518%7D&productid=1371

Yes, titanium is a good metal for allergies...but titanium will dull over time. My nose stud is titanium and does not have the "platinum sheen" it used to (the website does not mention this).

To reiterate...do NOT use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on a piercing:
http://www.uhs.berkeley.edu/home/healthtopics/bodypiercing.shtml

If you are going to clean your earrings with alcohol, make sure it is completely dry before you insert your earrings. Even on healed ears, it can cause peeling.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:54 am      Reply with quote
i had trouble with my earrings for years (read decades) and was able to solve the problem in one word -- platinum.

not stainless steel, not just gold, and not just white gold (though it's better than yellow) -- platinum. i have a small pair of diamond studs and they're about all i ever wear (can even sleep in them or wear them for days with no irritation). deadly dull, but at least i have no problems. my mum got me some gorgeous white gold hoops that i can wear for a dinner out, but any longer and my ears get inflamed. i am slowly going to replace my favourite earrings with platinum placements whilst all the rest have gone to friends and relatives.... some people are just that delicate -- and i am one of them Rolling Eyes
Shawna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks again for your input, ladies. I just realized that I do have a nose piercing where the post is surgical stainless steel. So, maybe that's the way to go for me right now.

Isn't it weird that I grew into this reaction to earrings? I never had it before.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Shawna, I find that I am "growing into" a lot of allergies myself, so it may not be that unusual.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:45 am      Reply with quote
I think it's actually very common for allergies to develop over time, to the point where you suddenly seem to become allergic to something which never used to cause you any problems - very aggravating though. I can wear gold or platinum earrings with no problems, anything else seems to make my ears itch like mad.
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah ! you sould try white gold earring. Specialy rings and try to wear them all the time for a couple of weeks. You can turn them aroud every night and desinfect them . Good luck !

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
I WISH i had the earlobe allergy problems! I am a former 80's Cindi Lauperer...and as such, have stretched my earlobe holes (yeah, it's real nice... Rolling Eyes )..I've resigned myself to clip earrings...Sadly, the clip earring market is dry...the only clip earrings out there on the market are the ones that my nana would wear! (not that all nanas would wear ugly clip earrings!) and no disrespect to Forum nanas!
Pudoodles
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Pudoodles - I no longer have pierced ears and absolutely hate the usual boring and clumpy clip-ons. However, I have found some great sites that help solve my problem:

This is an American site which sells converters very cheaply (they convert post earrings, but not the hook type, into clip-ons) - http://www.earringdoctor.com/converters.html

This British site sells similar converters which are more expensive, but more comfortable -
http://www.translife.co.uk/erol.html#2714x0&&

Another British site. This one sells really nice crystal drop and stud earrings, most of which are available with clip settings -
http://www.ljdjewellery.co.uk/default.php?cPath=716
System
Automatic Message
Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pevonia Phyto-Aromatic Mist (200 ml / 5 oz) Bioelements Urban Detox (29 ml / 1 floz) Vivier Hydration Pack (3 items)