Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
A preliminary review of Braun's Silk-epil (epilator)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Angyl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Seeing as we've been talking a lot about hair removal lately. I got tired of my razor. Not that it wasn't fantastic (I was using Intuition), but I hate shaving. I'm lazy. I'm also poor, so going to a salon to wax isn't a good budgetary option.

I thought i'd look into waxes, so I tried Surgiwax. First I tried the jar kind, which was way tooo meessy. THere's still little fragmetns of wax all over the spot where I tried to wax. Then I tried the strip kind. It's pretty good, but it kept missing the little hairs.

I caught a fantastic deal at my BBB, mostly beucase of a pricing error, and I got the Silk-epil for aroun $40.

Holy Jesus!

It does hurt like waxing, or really fast tweezing, but it works well! All the little hairs are gone, minus some stubble I'm waiting to grow in. I tried my legs first, then my underarms. The I took a deeeeep breath and did my bikini. It's not for the faint of heart, but it wasn't that bad, I swear. The pulling is kind of like "fast tweezing."

There are some cons: I don't like how noisy the thing is, or the fact that you have to have it plugged in to use it, but otherwise this might be the end of me and the razor.

I'll keep this updated as I use it more. I really do like it. I think I described it to a friend as "painful like waxing, but cheaper"

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered this too and I can't wait to get it. I hate shaving my legs and even right after I shave, you can still see the dark stubble. The bikini line pain isn't something I look forward to, but I hate waxing. I actually like to pluck-- sometimes I will spend an hour plucking my underarms. Using an epilator will be a time-saver!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:20 am      Reply with quote
As for the bikini line..... do not attempt to go any further inwards!!! I found it left the most horrific ingrown hairs afterwards, it will never be as clean as hot wax. Plus the pain soon becomes unbearable because you are treating such a small area at once, so slowly.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:39 am      Reply with quote
So long as you clean the epilator properly after it has been used (mine came with a brush and it is suggested to use an alcohol - I use Isocol) and lightly moisturise the skin after epilating, then you should not have ingrown hairs. I have been using Rosewater and this seems to work well as it is moisturising but not greasy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:55 am      Reply with quote
I ordered one from ebay, cant wait to use it on my moustache and face,kinda scared though thats it going to chew up my face,I have never used one of these things before.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
So long as you clean the epilator properly after it has been used (mine came with a brush and it is suggested to use an alcohol - I use Isocol) and lightly moisturise the skin after epilating, then you should not have ingrown hairs. I have been using Rosewater and this seems to work well as it is moisturising but not greasy.

Sadly, none of that worked for me, bushy. I cleaned it with alcohol religiously straight after each use. I also applied soothing moisturiser to my skin afterwards, and exfoliated thoroughly every day. Still got really bad ingrowing hairs.

I've actually begun to wonder whether this is because my hair is curly? I know it sounds strange, but perhaps the hair grows wonky and ends up staying beneath the skin.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Which model is it? Think there's a few Brauns out on the market....wonder how this works for a brazilian type hair removal. I wax and I'm sure this hurts lets.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
Which model is it? Think there's a few Brauns out on the market....wonder how this works for a brazilian type hair removal. I wax and I'm sure this hurts lets.

you must be crazy!!! Shock trust me, waxing is most definitely the way to go down there!
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Majorb, I tend to think that the type of moisturiser may be a contributing factor to ingrown hairs. If the moisturiser is one that can clog the pores then you may end up with more ingrown hairs. I used to get ingrown hairs with waxing but after changing to using rosewater afterwards, have never had one since and certainly don't have any with the epilator.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:54 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
Majorb, I tend to think that the type of moisturiser may be a contributing factor to ingrown hairs. If the moisturiser is one that can clog the pores then you may end up with more ingrown hairs. I used to get ingrown hairs with waxing but after changing to using rosewater afterwards, have never had one since and certainly don't have any with the epilator.

I've used lots of different moisturisers - some very light and some heavier - afterwards, but never rosewater. Is it just plain rosewater that you use, bushy? And how often do you use it instead of normal moisturiser?

Unfortunately, I also have the problem of very dry skin, so need to moisturise my body once a day, otherwise it gets dry and then ends up flaky. So the rosewater option alone would likely not work for me, but it may give others experiencing the same problem (but with less dry skin) something that may do the trick.

Must admit that I do love rosewater as a toner, though. It's very light and gentle. Plus the glorious scent!
Angyl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=153490&catid=50621&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=50621&trxp2=153490&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

I think this is the one I have. I'm not sure I'd use it on my face, I think I'm going to stick with the Surgiwax strips for that.

The moisturizing is important. I also try to use it after the shower, when my pores are more open and I dont have lotion on.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
ariesxtreme wrote:

you must be crazy!!! Shock trust me, waxing is most definitely the way to go down there!

Really? Guess I'll just stick to waxing then since I do it all myself. Although I suppose I can purchase for the legs and underarms.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Majorb, I use either Kosmea or Renew Rosewater Mists depending on which one I can get locally at the time. Both contain rose oil, aloe vera and marshmallow. In winter, I use this twice a day, morning and night for about three days after epilating (or when I shaved or waxed) and then change to Kosmea body moisturiser after that which also contains rose oil. In summer, I just use the rosewater mist. It just may be that this combination is kind to the pores. I find the rosewater mist is rather moisturising.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Angyl, it is not a good idea to use an epilator after a shower as it is most efficient when the skin is completely dry. The instructions that came with mine were quite emphatic about using it only on dry skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:41 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
Majorb, I use either Kosmea or Renew Rosewater Mists depending on which one I can get locally at the time. Both contain rose oil, aloe vera and marshmallow. In winter, I use this twice a day, morning and night for about three days after epilating (or when I shaved or waxed) and then change to Kosmea body moisturiser after that which also contains rose oil. In summer, I just use the rosewater mist. It just may be that this combination is kind to the pores. I find the rosewater mist is rather moisturising.

They sound absolutely gorgeous, bushy! I really liked the Kosmea Rosehip Oil you recommended a while ago, so would definitely be more than happy to give these a try. Because I'll need to shave between laser removal treatments, I'll try and get hold of one of the sprays and use it for moisturising afterwards. (Even shaving gives me ingrown hairs, sadly.)
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |