Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Calling all mothers for pregnancy questions
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi all mothers,

I found out I am pregnant, and am on my 11th week now. This is my first, and I have tons of questions, thought it would be fun to start a topic for some fun talk.

I did a lot of research on the internet for the basic DOs and DON'Ts, but there are some sayings can only be confirmed by experienced moms, would love to hear your past experience.

The biggest curiousity of mine also lays on whether it's gonna be a boy or a girl. I found so many myths on the internet :
- breaking out like crazy if it's a boy
- morning sickness if it's a boy
- crave for orange juice if it's a girl
- hands become soft if it's a girl
- hips grows more if it's a girl
- and does the first born always come weeks before than the due date ?

Did any mothers drink coffee while they are pregnant ?

Which month did your tummy start showing ?
How many months did you continue to go to work ?
How many months did it take your body to go back to normal size ?

I also heard that I am not supposed to have any sort of renovation going on at my house while I am pregnant, otherwise the baby will have some imperfections, anyone had that experience at all ? I just bought a house and renovation has been going on, and this scares the hell out of me....

Any comments and past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
The lost mother-to-be

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Very Happy Congratulations Diderot Very Happy I have 3 kids (9, 7, and 4). With this being your 1st, your stomach probably won't pop until at least 4 mos.

Eat healthy for ONE, that way you can get your figure back in about 3-4 mos.

I found whatever foods I was craving were really due to the baby cuz that's what they like now!

If you plan to nurse, sleep in a bed (double+) w/ the baby. This was my SECRET WEAPON Exclamation I did this w/ #2 and #3. I got great sleep, the babies slept THRU THE NITE IMMEDIATELY, and you WON'T roll over on the baby. I'd change their diaper once in the nite, roll on my side, and the baby would nurse and we'd both fall asleep. Some of my sweetest memories are of this experience - their little heads would always be facing me. I truly believe it made them feel secure.

Each pregnancy/delivery is VERY different. Just b/c it's your first doesn't mean it will come early.

Yes, you will be an anal mother w/ your first - we all are!

Cherish this first time experience - there's nothing quite like it.

Attach DH ring on a string, hold it still over your belly (like you're hypnotizing it). If it moves side to side, it's a boy; if it moves in circles, it's a girl!

Let me know if you have any other questions Smile
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Congrats Diderot!!!! I don't have any answers but just wanted to wish you all the best!

P.S: To other moms, is the no wine, no soft cheese really really true? Any French ladies wish to comment?
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tsjmom,

Thanks so much for your quick and informative reply. So are all your kids the same sex ? If not, do you find anything different while pregnant with a boy or a girl ? I know I know, but I am really curious and I am having fun guessing...

when will one starts to get clumpsy ?

Thanks again,
D

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:03 am      Reply with quote
diderot wrote:

The biggest curiousity of mine also lays on whether it's gonna be a boy or a girl. I found so many myths on the internet :

I dont know about those myths, I knew my son was a boy the moment I got pregnant, dont know why I just knew!

diderot wrote:

I also heard that I am not supposed to have any sort of renovation going on at my house while I am pregnant, otherwise the baby will have some imperfections, anyone had that experience at all ? I just bought a house and renovation has been going on, and this scares the hell out of me....

Thanks much,
The lost mother-to-be

I had coffee while I was pregnant but not everyday and only one small cup at a time. Just plain coffee too. This works well for when you "plumbing" gets backed up and you need er, um...relief. Embarassed Small amounts of caffine are ok, I just wouldnt go over board.

I started really showing in my 5th month but, I was also all of 105 when I got pregnant so any extra weight showed up sooner on me. By eight months I was a whale! Laughing

It took me about 3-4 months post pregnancy to lose weight. I didnt do anything special, I ate right and took 30 min walks daily. Looking back I wish I had done more pilates and yoga. They are the perfect low impact workouts, and they relieve stress and increase stamina, both good for a new mom. There are yoga DVD's you can do while pregnant, I really recommend doing one, it will increase your flexibility and keep you toned. Just avoid weights and abs.

As far as renovations, sorry I think thats total crap! The only things you should be careful about while they are going on is, dont lift anything heavy, dont hang out in newly painted rooms and dont let yourself get stressed!

I was due Feb 12th, my son didnt come until 2 weeks later, the Docs wanted to induce but I wouldnt let them. I knew he would come when he was ready.

I wish you tons of good luck and happiness with your new addition!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:05 am      Reply with quote
diderot wrote:
Hi all mothers,

Hi, diderot! I have a boy and here are my answers.

I found out I am pregnant, and am on my 11th week now. This is my first, and I have tons of questions, thought it would be fun to start a topic for some fun talk.

I did a lot of research on the internet for the basic DOs and DON'Ts, but there are some sayings can only be confirmed by experienced moms, would love to hear your past experience.

I had the best skin in my life when I was pregnant

almost no morning sikness

I was due September 1, and my boy birthday is September 2.

I'm a heavy coffe drinker, but during my pregnancy, I had only decaffeinated coffee and tea.

2-3 months.

in 2 months after delivery I wore my pre-pregnancy jeans.

i think this is superstition, the same as 'you cannot cut your hair during pregnancy, you cannot knit...' It's up to you if you want to believe it. I never did.

Thanks much,
The lost mother-to-be
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
diderot wrote:
Hi all mothers,

Thanks much,
The lost mother-to-be

diderot, congratulations! I miscarried in June and now I am ready again for trying.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:20 am      Reply with quote
a question for all mums, do you wear make-ups during pregnancy? what cosmetics is not safe for pregnant woman? I know essential oils should be avoided.
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:35 am      Reply with quote
wow....I am thrilled seeing all the helpful replies, thanks so much for the replies and congrats Razz

It's a relief to hear the renovation thing is crap, I have been bothered by it for the last months.

People have been telling me tummy usualy starts showing on the 5th month, but it depends on your body. I weighed 96 and am now 102 on 11th week, I am watching it closely, I am eating all I wish, like always (I have the apetite of a pregnant woman BY DEFAULT), so I really have to watch it now when I am really pregnant, and I will eat healthy for ONE.

I still wear makeup, but minimum (as usual) and mostly natural skincare and makeup, but I am trying not to be too anal about everything, I can easily drive myself nuts if I do. I still have bath (not too hot), still use essential but moderate amount, and stay away from dangerous ones. Lavender oil is debatable, I found a lot of products for mom-to-be actually contain it, so it can't be that bad.

gracedhy, best luck to you, I am sure we will hear good news from you sooner than you expect Wink

I think Yoga will be on my MUST list, will get on it soon.

There are so many worries and questions for me for months to come I am sure, I am glad there are so many moms here on the forum Laughing

Thanks a million to all,
D

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
tell you what, when i was two months people started noticing my tummy. i guess that really depends. During the first two months I stopped exercising totally, that's why i gained weights pretty fast.
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:49 am      Reply with quote
First of all...A BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you diderot! Questions are going to be non-stop from here on out, just thought I'd warn ya! My son is going to be 9 months old on January 12th and my heads been spinning since I learned I was pregnant in August of '05! I didn't experience any of the myths associated with having a boy. I found out what the sex was when I had an amnio done at 16 weeks.

I have heard your first is usually late, thats what my midwives told me anyhow.Ds is my first and he was 11 days overdue. I was induced into labour with him, but if I had to do it over again I think I would wait it out...induction was such a long process (for me anyhow)!

Did any mothers drink coffee while they are pregnant ? Well I drank regular coffee, my midwife told me to limit myself to 2 cups a day though.

Which month did your tummy start showing ? My tummy started showing around the 3rd month.

How many months did you continue to go to work ? I worked up until my 4th month, I would have worked longer but I was layed off from my job due to a company closure.

How many months did it take your body to go back to normal size ? Ha, Ha....I'm still working on this one! I developed a severe sweet tooth during my pregnancy, probably due to quitting smoking and it hasn't left me! I gained 50 pounds while preggo Shock I've lost almost all but 10 stubborn ones! But I'm starting to gain back again due to the ol' Christmas holidays, so I got to start watching what I eat again and hopefully I can get the rest off before summer! Everyone is different though, your body changes so much when you have a baby, and if you plan on breastfeeding, you may lose or may not, it all depends. I would be generous and give yourself a year to lose the weight anyhow! It also depends on how much you gain during the pregnancy, if you stay within a reasonable weight gain, you may take it off within 2-3 months post-partum.

I don't know too much about home renovations, although I wouldn't recommend getting up on any ladders, or being around toxic paint fumes and things like that!

Well, I want to wish you a joyous pregnancy D...enjoy this wonderful time, its truly an experience you will never forget! If you have any other questions feel free to pm me anytime, and hopefully I can help sort them out for you! There is a great site atwww.babycenter.com where you can find your birth club (the date you are due) and get to talk to other moms that are going through the same pregnancy highs and lows you are and they also have excellent resources, it helped me alot when I was pregnant, and it still does whenever I have questions about my son.

Oh, and we are all "lost-moms" at first, I wished a how-to manual came with my son a few times! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:52 am      Reply with quote
I never excercise, casue I eat even more when I do, trust me, my apetite is no joke, and often embarassed by waitstuffs in restaurant, asking if I am expecting someone whenever I order. I am hoping being pregnant won't increase my apetite even more, I WILL GO BROKE before the baby's out Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:57 am      Reply with quote
diderot wrote:
I never excercise, casue I eat even more when I do, trust me, my apetite is no joke, and often embarassed by waitstuffs in restaurant, asking if I am expecting someone whenever I order. I am hoping being pregnant won't increase my apetite even more, I WILL GO BROKE before the baby's out Confused

you are so lucky, how can you keep such a perfect weight without any exercise and still eat a lot? i have a really big apetite too, i eat more than my hubby. unfortunately i have been fighting my weights all the times. I am 115 now.Sad
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Oh, one more question, I seriously don't have any particular cravings yet, and everyone has been telling me there will be a few things you crave for during pregnancy, does the cravings start from the begining or much later ? Should I be having the cravings now ?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:04 am      Reply with quote
I know, it's embarassing, my hubby eats like a bird and he is 6ft 1. I eat so much, I can eat him if he comes closer to me when I am hungry, it's EMBARASSING.

I guess it's the genes which runs in my family, and also, not only I eat like a pregnant woman by default, I DRINK WATER like a WHALE, about 3 gallons and UP everyday. My mother always joke that I shouldn't jump into the swimming pool when I was a kid, cause I would probably drink half of the pool water. She even was concerned at one point that I have diabetes, since I eat and drink like there's something wrong with me.
Oh well.

D

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:15 am      Reply with quote
I forgot to add that I worked until my 8th month. I had an office job so I was sitting the whole day.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:19 am      Reply with quote
diderot wrote:
I know, it's embarassing, my hubby eats like a bird and he is 6ft 1. I eat so much, I can eat him if he comes closer to me when I am hungry, it's EMBARASSING.

I guess it's the genes which runs in my family, and also, not only I eat like a pregnant woman by default, I DRINK WATER like a WHALE, about 3 gallons and UP everyday. My mother always joke that I shouldn't jump into the swimming pool when I was a kid, cause I would probably drink half of the pool water. She even was concerned at one point that I have diabetes, since I eat and drink like there's something wrong with me.
Oh well.

D

I ate/drank alot too! I could eat 2 6oz steaks plus sides in one sitting! Listen to your body, it knows what you need to help build your baby. I later found out that I had an iron deficiency, which explains the constant steak cravings! Wink

loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:32 am      Reply with quote
Diderot,
Big congratulations.

I am casting my mind back 25 years when I had my first baby. I didn't show until I was about 5-6 months & breastfeeding got rid of the baby fat within weeks.
My sons GF is 20 weeks pregnant & her bump appeared virtually right away.

I had heartburn with all four pregnancies 3 boys & a girl.

With my eldest son my waters broke at midnight on the day he was due.
My second son my waters broke at quarter to midnight the day before he was due so they were both born on their due dates.

My third son was six weeks early, which was a shock because I was definitely expecting him to arrive on the due date like his brothers.

My daughter was three weeks early.

Too be honest I didn't have any noticeable differences in the pregnancies except for the fact I thought Natalie was a team of football players, she was always moving. You could see her limbs and kind of grab them, twas weird.

I did drink coffee & eat things you are not supposed to but there were not all the rules & regulations in them days.

I worked up to 8 months with the eldest. I'm probably not a good role model actually. When I was 8 months 2 weeks pregnant with my eldest my hubby & I went up to Wembley on his motorbike. Shock

Anyway my advice to you is enjoy it. A little bit of what you fancy does you good. Wink A happy mum makes a happy baby.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:01 am      Reply with quote
diderot wrote:
Oh, one more question, I seriously don't have any particular cravings yet, and everyone has been telling me there will be a few things you crave for during pregnancy, does the cravings start from the begining or much later ? Should I be having the cravings now ?

I didn't have any cravings, my husband is still surprised about it, he tells everybody that I was low-maintenance pregnant women. Laughing
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:04 am      Reply with quote
diderot - I just luv the excitement of first time motherhood! I have a "princess sandwich". My cravings all started after the 1st trimester due to morning sickness.

Expect some hair loss after delivery.

Stock up on maxi pads for after the birth (no one told me that one!)

People will treat you like a goddess w/ your first one. For the 2nd, 3rd, etc they seem to think "Well she knew what she was getting into" as they see you struggling w/ a toddler, stroller, and huge belly!

Get one of those dressers where you can attach a changing pillow on top. What do you do w/ a changing table after the kids are out of diapers?

Buy baby clothes sized DOUBLE the age of your baby (ie 3 mo old = 6 mos size clothes). You can find really ccute clothes at resale shops for the under 2 set b/c they don't wear their clothes out as fast and they're not in them for that long anyway!

If I think of any more tips Ill let you know Smile
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Just thought of another one - get a double stroller w/ large wheels and large underneath basket for the first. The big wheels make it easier to roll along uneven sidewalks, etc. The double kind that lay out flat are great for sleeping baby and shopping, and you're gonna need a ton of storage Laughing
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Congratulations. Babies are wonderful.

I started showing at about 4 months but did not gain much overall even though it felt like I was eating all of the time. I do not think coffee is that bad. I looked it up on MEDLine back then and found that most studies did not see any difference. That said I did not feel like drinking much coffee. I was taking Heparun every day for blood thinning due to miscarriages. You're doing great 11 weeks is a good time (end of morning sickness).

Renovations are probably not a good idea because odd smells did bother me.

I lost some weight right away but most stayed until right before dd was in kindergarden and I went on a low carb diet (still on it nearly 4 years) and I am thin now. I think as long as you are active you can lose fast.

Take the time you need. It depends on what you do and what help you have. My dd did not go to any nursery school until she was 3.5yo but if I had it to do over again I would have started her part time at 2yo just to develop play skills (she is still shy in a group at 9yo and I have noticed that those who were in preschool are much more outgoing. I looked this up and it seems to be generally true although it is certainly a controvertial topic).

My last and probably most important advice to you is relax and have fun and do not listen so much to all of the "advice" you will be given. At this time even total strangers seem to feel compelled to give advice on pregnancy, child birth and child rearing. You can be polite but most of what you hear is nonsense. I was shopping one day and a woman came up to me and said she knew I was having a boy because of the way I was carrying. From frequent ultrasounds I knew she was a girl but it bothered this women so much that she followed me around the store harranging me.
A pregnant belly seems to draw wackos.

Have fun!!!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:31 am      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:

A pregnant belly seems to draw wackos.

Never were truer words written! Laughing

puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Congratulations!!

Go to babyfit.com its an AWESOME site with lots of help and support from other pregnant mothers. Join your Due Date club on the forum and you can talk to other moms due the same month as you!

I'm on the site and I love the Q&As, plus it really helps with support and "silly" questions, which are never really silly in real life Smile

As for the myths you had asked about...out the window!

I'm expecting a boy in early Feb. and a girlfriend of mine is expecting a girl. She and I both had SOME of the classic myth symptoms indicating gender, but for the most part, its all wroooooong.

I DID breakout, but its very common in either sexes. I did NOT have ANY morning sickness at all (thank God!). I can't really comment on the hands and hips issue because I'm so swollen right now! I don't think I had any major changes in my body during the 1st trimester. I more or less looked the same with a little bit of bloating (normal).

I started to show at about 5 or 6 months. I'm quite small for being 8 months pregnant. People often commented that they were surprised I was pregnant. I hear this is common with first pregnancies as your body has been through that kind of stretch before. Apparently, in subsequent pregnancies, your body gets bigger faster!

As for how long I worked for....I'm on medical leave right now and have been off since the end of November. Let me tell you, if your doctor is willing to let you go off early and you have benefits through work, take it. Your body will really appreciate it!

There are a lot of superstitions surrounding pregnancy. Another couple we know - they are Chinese (my hubby and I are Chinese as well), but they are super superstitious. They didn't do any renos, no hammering nails in walls, restrictive diets etc.

Yes, I am still drinking caffine, but only in moderation. You are "allowed 300mg of caffine. If you look on the babyfit website, they will give you a breakdown of how much caffine there is a coffee, tea, coke, etc. Its very helpful. BTW coke is only 30 mg and coffee and tea depending on the brew is not as much as you think!

Anyway - Congratulations again!! So exciting! Very Happy
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Most of the advice I get here so far are what I am planning to do, such as start school for the kid early, and not buying a changing table since it's not gonna be useful for long. Part of the reason is that my sister just had a baby early this year, and she went NUTS getting all the stuffs, and seeing everything got stored away after 2 months of use...it's not only a waste of money and space, it also gives me a headache just by looking at the toys,clothes,STUFFS all around the house. To be honest, my mother nature still hasnt kick in yet for me, I am waiting for the day when I am reading to shop in Baby stores and be able to ooh and aah about things....will that day ever come ? I will of course love my baby, don't get me wrong, but I am not the baby craze type, if you know what I mean. If anyone watched "sex and the city" before, I am definitely NOT the Charlotte type, but more the Miranda and Carrie mix.

I still can't picture me being a mother, FREEDOM is the number one thing for me, still is. Crying or Very sad

I am happy, but at the same time, very very nervous and worried, not sure how will I able to cope with it....

D

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |