Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

shelf life of beauty products
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
I was Googling this morning and found this on the About.com website. I thought it was helpful, so posting it here in case anyone might be interested....

"Here's a quick guide on the shelf lives of typical beauty products, listed in alphabetical order...Please keep in mind that these are estimates...

Concealer Up to 12 months.
Powder 2 years.
Cream & gel cleansers 1 year.
Eye liner Should be sharpened regularly. Will last up to 3 years.
Eyeshadow Will also last up to 3 years. Extra tip: A dark eyeshadow can double as eyeliner, in fact, most makeup artists swear by eyeshadow used as eyeliner. You'll need a super-flat eyeliner brush for this (MAC & Aveda have the best brushes). Get the brush a little damp & dab in dark eyeshadow (black, brown or deep jewel-tones work great). Wiggle the brush into your lash line focusing on the space between your lashes, then sweep the color just above your lash line.
Brushes Wash every 2-3 months in a mild detergent
Sponges Wash weekly & discard monthly
Foundation Check the ingredients: A water-based foundation will last up to 12 months, oil-based will last up to 18 months. You may find you need two different shades of foundation each year: One for summer when your skin is naturally darker & one for winter when you're lighter. Extra tip: If your water-based foundation dries out before it's expiry date, simply add a few drops of alcohol-free toner & shake to get rid of clumps. No need to do this to oil-based foundations. Because they contain oil, they will tend to separate. You have to shake anyway.
Lip liner Up to 3 years. Extra tip: Skip the push-up lipliners. They're expensive, tend to break & you never really know how much you have left until you run out. No need to spend money on lip liners, there's no secret to greatness for this product. Save your money for powders & foundation.
Lipstick Some experts say 1-2 years. Others say up to 4 years. What everyone agrees on is that if it smells rancid, throw it out, it's spoiled. Extra tip: If you store lipstick in the refrigerator, it will last longer. Bonus tip: Want your lipstick to last longer during the day? Shade in lips with lip liner before applying lipstick.
Mascara This product expires the fastest: Throw out after 4 months. Extra tip: If you don't want your mascara to expire faster than its fresh date, don't pump the wand in & out, you're only exposing the product to drying air.
Nail Polish Up to 12 months, depending on the quality & how many times you take it on a plane (the cap always unscrews on me during flights, leaving my purse a -- fume-y -- mess!)"
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Marci. Most of these things last longer than I expected.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:32 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Marci, great info! I only use Mascara once a while, within 4 months maybe i only use 5 times, it's a big waste of money.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:38 am      Reply with quote
I think it can be a YMMV thing also. I'm sure there are people who can use a mascara for 5-6 months with no problem... and I can't go 3+ months between washing makeup brushes without having breakouts Very Happy

The article caught my interest since I figured "out with the old, in with the new" for my makeup, too. I know there are things in my drawer that I once loved and was keeping around just in case I decided to re-love them (after several years!) Since the spirit didn't move me after all this time to use the items again, into the trash they went.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this Marci - interesting info!
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Mascara lasts longer the less you "dip." I try to use it on both eyes with one dip (meaning, the first time I take it out of the tube when I apply). It will turn bad faster if you pump your brush up and down (a habit I picked up from Mum). I always replace my mascara once it starts to smell funny...which is usually 3-4 months. But I use it every day so sometimes I've got to replace it sooner since it runs out.

I'm thinking maybe the same thing for lip glosses. I recently found a gloss I bought six months ago, I used it every day for two weeks when I first purchased it...I put it on and it tasted TERRIBLE, very strange and icky smell as well...I knew it went bad because I did NOT buy it that way.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
good info. I tend to stock up... now I know how long I should keep them
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
great info must check my nail polish have them for years only wear polish occassionally since I discovered nail hardener that has glossy finish and wears away gradually. Never had lip liner for more than 3 months as I find it impossible to get a tip on it with pencil topper.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Marcy. Thanks for the information. I keep some things too long.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the info
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for that, I just realised I have a few lipglosses & things that I've had for over 4 years now. Confused ooops! Embarassed
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
thank. Smile
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the list! You know, I have ALOT of makeup that is "past-due" according to the list. Mostly eye shadows and some blushes. Mascara is the only thing I usually throw out after about 4 months. I guess if something doesn't look like it has "turned" and the consistency still seems OK, it should be OK to use. I have this MAC eye shadow that's probably 5 - 6 years old and it still seems as good as new. I'm so bad with all my makeup too, because I have SOOOO much (I get bored so easy and am easily enticed by pretty new packaging Very Happy ). I rarely ever finish anything, except for most of my lipsticks. And about every 6 months I'll go through my stash and get rid of all the things I know for sure I won't be returning to.
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks....you sould make one for skincare too, could be really helpfull !

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
thanks a lot. That's great
nutella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Smile
I have had my mascara for a year. lol

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Just posting back that I ditched 2 of my old favorite lipsticks today -- I had been using them for a while and today I noticed that they smelled like old stinky crayons and went on very thick and waxy. After hitting the trash, I looked at my first post -- and I know for sure that they were *at least* 1-2 years old. Ick. I can't believe that I didn't get rid of them sooner; they had been suspect for a while and it didn't register.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Very helpful.
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Just thought I would throw this in just incase someone didn't know; nowadays a lot products have a little picture on it indicating shelf life.
Look for a picture of jar with the lid open, it will say "12", "24", etc. The placement isn't always the same so on some products you have to look for it.
Example: My PTR Buffing Beads say "24" on it.
Hope this helps someone!
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, this is very useful information. I was just wondering how long I've had some of my creams. I have a terrible habit of trying new things before I finish up the product. I still have samples of Sisley products that are not opened (small packages). Is it safe to assume the expiration dates apply only to things that have been opened? These packages are still sealed tightly and I haven't used/opened it yet.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:56 am      Reply with quote
dalguy wrote:
Just thought I would throw this in just incase someone didn't know; nowadays a lot products have a little picture on it indicating shelf life.
Look for a picture of jar with the lid open, it will say "12", "24", etc. The placement isn't always the same so on some products you have to look for it.
Example: My PTR Buffing Beads say "24" on it.
Hope this helps someone!

Well, it definitely helped me! Very Happy I've seen that and had no clue what it meant. Thanks for mentioning this!
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
Due to the question about the shelf life of perfume, I found this additional list from this website:
http://www.joseibi.com/store/view_article.asp?idArticle=38

I've formatted the list to be post-friendly. I have not checked this list against the one in my first post, so it's possible there is conflicting info, since they are from different sources.

"Below is a table of information regarding the shelf-life of your beauty products:

Mascara, eyelash curler pads -- 3 months
Never fool around with anything that touches your eyelashes/eyes!

Eye gels and creams -- 3 months
Daily exposure to air and germs makes this the most contaminated product.

Liquid foundations (cream and liquid) -- 3 - 6 months
Cream foundation in a jar should be tossed every 3 months.
Concealers (cream and liquid) 3 months To extend its shelf life, wash your concealer brush after each use.

Natural body cleansers -- 6 months
Most of the time, you use them up long before the toss date anyway!

Face creams and lotions -- 6 months
Not only are they prone to bacteria growth through daily exposure, most moisturizers contain antioxidants such as Vitamins A, C & E, which are very sensitive to light and lose potency very quickly.

Eye shadows, eyeliners (liquid, pencil) -- 6 months
Your eyes are the most infection-prone area of your face. Better safe than sorry!

Toners and essences -- 1 year
Even if you can keep bacteria growth to a minimum (we don't know how), the potency of most of the active ingredients in toners and essences, especially Vitamin C and AHAs is lost after a year or so.

Powders (pressed, loose) and blushes (powder) -- 1 year
Try washing your makeup brush after each use--it will prolong the life of your powdered products. For cream blushes, toss after 3 months.

Lipsticks -- 1 year
Colors will change after a year or so, even if you keep them in a cool, dark place. Ladies who keep theirs in a purse should know that body heat and outdoor/indoor heat will also affect the consistency of lipsticks. (check for humid drops on the lipsticks)

Face wash (cleansing oil, foam or gel cleanser) -- 1 - 2 years
Unless you wash your face once a week, your face wash will usually be depleted after 3 months. But of all the beauty products, face wash lasts the longest after opening.

Perfume and fragrances -- 1 year
Even if you use them once a week and keep them in a cool, dark place, the scent or fragrance will only stay intact for a year. To keep the fragrance from changing before the toss date, keep the perfume inside its own original box in a cool, dark place.

The best ways to preserve your beauty products to maximize their shelf life are:

Keep them in a cool, dry and dark place away from sunlight, humidity and heat (that means away from your bathroom); Wash your hands thoroughly prior to using any cosmetics or skin care products. Try not to double-dip.
Wash your makeup brushes and sponges/puffs after each use.
If your cream comes in a big jar, you can sterilize several small containers and put the cream into the smaller containers. Use a sterile utensil to distribute the cream.
Try not to carry too many products with you in your handbag. Body heat and indoor heating can change the consistency and even color of the products."
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for taking the time to post all that. It has some great guidelines. Smile

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
I find these guidelines interesting and I wonder how they apply to products that have not yet been opened? I'm resurrecting this old thread because a few weeks ago I found myself needing a good night moisturiser and having searched through my samples I found one of Valmont Regenetic and also on of my beloved Cellcosmet Eye Cream (I can't believe I had a sample of this I didn't know about!). I hesitated to use them because they are probably about 3 years old but they were sealed so I thought I'd try them. The Valmont cream was exactly as I remember it being - same scent, same texture, same appearance. The Cellcosmet cream though was yellowy and had a different texture than what I recalled. Hence, I used the Valmont (and still am using it, with great moisturising results) and heart-breakingly threw away the Cellcosmet sample. I came to the conclusion that when it comes to sealed products, if it still looks, smells and feels the same then it's usable (unless it has specific actives that oxidate but I assume this would change the colour/texture) whereas if it separates, smells different or has a different texture then it's obviously going in the bin.

What are your thoughts on the topic? How long is acceptable to keep an unopened skincare product?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy - I personally think these rules apply to items once opened. BUT - if you've had something hanging around for a really long time - you might have to apply the rules then. Rolling Eyes

Off to clean out my drawer Exclamation

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |