Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
You know you need a facial when....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:28 am      Reply with quote
If you get facials done professionally (at salon, doctor's office, esthetician), what triggers you to go back for the next appointment? Are you a customer that schedules regular appointments? Do you wait for a big event to come up before you go? Does your skin scream to you that it's time for another visit?

I schedule mine at regular intervals, about every 8 weeks. I don't get microdermabrasion, so I don't need to plan around possible extra redness, adverse reactions, etc.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
I schedule mine at regular intervals, say, once in two weeks. i normally buy a package for 20 treatments so that i can enjoy some discounts.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I don't tend to get facials - I'm not too keen on having someone mess with my face (it gets enough of that at home Embarassed ). Massages now - ooh....those I would have every month if I could afford them - yummy!!
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I usually have a facial every 6-8 weeks. Ideally, I'd prefer to have one every 6 weeks, but I don't always have time to fit it in. By 8 weeks, I feel like I *need* one. Wink If I have a special occasion coming up, I do try to schedule one for a couple of days before.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Can I ask what kind of facials you schedule on a regular basis (as in what all is involved)? I've always thought of these as a special treat like massages, not as something I truly needed. This is an interesting topic!
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
If I had my choice, I would go once a month purely for relaxation and a few extractions. The dayspa that I go to is full service and does the whole shoulder-massage, hand-paraffin dip thing with their facials and I feel sooooo calm when I leave there!

I used to go quite often for extractions - of course, back then I didn't realize that a lot of the skincare products I was using were CAUSING the need for extractions Rolling Eyes

And, of course, I used to go quite often before I had to start paying for preschool for my kid!!!

Since using ISC and Epidermx II, my skin's been pretty clear (as long as I keep my sugar intake down and take my vitamins) - so my skin doesn't really "ask" for a facial anymore.

One of these days I would like to try microdermabrasion to help get rid of some mild hyperpigmentation, though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
I would like to get one every month ...but... Sad I can afford it...so I go once every 2-3 months.Or when I can see that I got a lot of blackheads.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Can I ask what kind of facials you schedule on a regular basis (as in what all is involved)?

I put off starting facials for a couple of years, because I couldn't get comfortable with the thought of someone touching my face. So I go for just basic care. My esthetician will do some sort of neck/shoulder massage stuff as part of the facial, but I told her not to mess with that for me. She cleanses, steams, massages my face, does extractions, and sterilizes my face (not necessarily in that order). She is fabulous -- I have actually dozed off while she's done mine, including gentle but effective extractions.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
I've never had a facial.

I've had a peel, some botox, and some CACI treatments, but I never go just to get 'my face done'.

I dont like going to the hairdresser, either, and do my hair myself as much as I can..

Confused
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
I'm trying to go once every 4-6 weeks, as I always notice a great improvement after every facial. I normally just have a deep cleansing treatment as my skin always gets really congested. But I'm interested in getting an oxygen facial next time, seeing as a lot of my friends have been raving about them & I must say their skin does have an amazing healthy glow recently! Shock
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I schedule mine for about once a month. I feel like it's a deep cleansing that I can't do at home (the extractions followed by a high frequency machine).
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I used to get facials every other month. It was timed for me. I couldn't afford to get them every month.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
... I know I need a facial when I'm mistaken for guapaboy's mother Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
interesting! what kinda activity happening on your face would prompt you to go get a facial? im trying to decide when i should get one now.. eg. is it ok to get one when you have whitead/cystic or acne? dehydration? redness/irritation? inflammation?

or best to go when your skin is calm and nothing is happenin? (but when there is stuff happening on your face can you go see someone to fix it, if not dayspa then derm?)
anysound
5% products discount

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:56 am      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Can I ask what kind of facials you schedule on a regular basis (as in what all is involved)?

I put off starting facials for a couple of years, because I couldn't get comfortable with the thought of someone touching my face. So I go for just basic care. My esthetician will do some sort of neck/shoulder massage stuff as part of the facial, but I told her not to mess with that for me. She cleanses, steams, massages my face, does extractions, and sterilizes my face (not necessarily in that order). She is fabulous -- I have actually dozed off while she's done mine, including gentle but effective extractions.

If you can sleep through the extraction process, then they must be plenty gentle! I've always been invited to sleep during the facials I've had. They probably want me to relax, but who knows, they might be skimping on things when I'm asleep. Razz It's usually because it's terribly boring for me. Of course, I've also always been treated to facials. If it was my own money, I'd be awake the entire time and taking various mental notes of what the esthetician was doing so that I could get home and try to replicate it myself! (Which I did.)

I've only been impressed once with my visit to a beauty spa. That's because a laser was used to efficiently zap my acne after the third session in photodynamic therapy. I had a dozen or so facials done in different places over the span of 2 years when my acne got severe. At best, I was satisfied. If it had been my own money spent on the results I sometimes witnessed, I would have been crazy angry.

smqueen wrote:

interesting! what kinda activity happening on your face would prompt you to go get a facial? im trying to decide when i should get one now.. eg. is it ok to get one when you have whitead/cystic or acne? dehydration? redness/irritation? inflammation?

I cleanse, exfoliate, apply treatments, moisturizers, and sunscreen as required on a regular basis. I also have my own extractor and a bottle of alcohol with cotton swabs for extractions. Facials are agonizingly expensive and then you still have to tip, so I do them myself. I don't have neat technological gadgets, though...but some of you do! The visitors to this board can most likely perform one themselves, can't they?

I am not against "facials," but that's a really generalized term. There are as many different types as there are people. Are you going in for one that's holistic where they perform microcirculation massage and rub fragrant oils in? Or one that sounds exotic by placing fresh slices of oranges & cucumbers mixed with other edibles on your face? Perhaps one with the cleanse, steam, exfoliate, extract, mask, treat, massage & moisturize technique? And maybe even a peel, laser, or electro current device thingamajig? Nevermind what condition your skin is in yet. Wink

Researching spas to check if the estheticians are licensed, what they use and how they use it, and price comparisons are probably the best way to go about it.

The manager to a beauty spa once asked me, "Who do you trust more to handle your skin -- an esthetician or yourself?"

"It depends. Is my esthetician going to be even more ignorant than me?" Uh, I didn't actually say that. The manager was a family friend and all, so I made a noncommital grunt.
Maureenall
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:32 am      Reply with quote
I have a Decleor Evidence facial every month, I get a half hour back massage included, (heaven). Smile It really does make a difference to my skin and makes me very relaxed.
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
I usually go back a few days, or a week, before a special event. Otherwise, I find I need to go back when my skin looks dull or if I have a breakout.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
I normally have facial at the Decleor counter in a department store. The esthetician always reminds me every 2 to 3 months because I am absent-minded that I need to go for facial.

Recently, she quits the job and her replacement is so green and not professional so I need to go somewhere else.
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
bb2000 wrote:
I normally have facial at the Decleor counter in a department store. The esthetician always reminds me every 2 to 3 months because I am absent-minded that I need to go for facial.

Recently, she quits the job and her replacement is so green and not professional so I need to go somewhere else.

Sorry to hear about this! It took me a long time to find my esthetician. There was a time when I went to a place where the service was so bad and unprofessional I was really tempted to walk out. However, easier said then done so I endured the hour long process. Sad Sad
mooon
5% products discount

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I usually have facial once a month when I can feel the acnes burst out my face. I'm 31 but I still get some acnes when my period is coming.......I guess I can never skip facial; otherwise, I cannot get rid of my acnes Confused
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Since my post at the beginning of January, I've made the decision that I'm going to have a facial once a month. I really love the way my skin looks and feels after, and then I told myself, "what the heck, I deserve it!". Laughing
queenmary
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:24 am      Reply with quote
i always do ficial by myself, at home.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:38 am      Reply with quote
I'm trying every two weeks but cannot find time to do this often.

Re: timimg, sometimes I look much tired when I'm never tired... orlook 5-6 years older than usual me..it makes me running to my esthetician...

But I think it is more important to have all my daily routine in place every single day..in a longer term vision..it makes difference.
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I had my first facial about 4 years ago. The lady I usually go to has always urged me to get them every 1-2 months. But my skin was in such bad shape that I could never tell if the facial was doing any good. Plus, I couldn't afford going that much. I tried to go every 6 months or so. And every time she'd scold me for waiting too long.

About 2 months ago I had a facial from this lady and it was the first time I saw a dramatic difference. So I decided to try to go every 2 months so that I could try to keep my skin looking good. Well, I went the other day. I was starting to get quite a few blemishes but they were still pretty small. After the facial she said I hadn't needed a facial. She told me to get them only 1-2x a year! After four years of telling me to get them every 1-2 months and now she tells me only once a year! My skin is much better than before but I still get frequent breakouts. I definately don't think my skin is good enough to only need one facial a year. So, now I'm completely confused. I think I may just try to find somewhere else to go.
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:37 am      Reply with quote
I love facials.
I have to restrain myself to only go once a month.

It ranks up there on my list of favorite-things-in-the-whole-world. lol.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |