Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
What is it about Swiss skincare in general?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:07 am      Reply with quote
I'm just not sure what puts the Swiss above the rest. I mean, Cellcosmet is very popular, but too expensive for me.

There are so many lines, some are sold through reps like Arbonne RE9 that, while not made in Switzerland, says it was formulated there.

Then there drugstore brands like Skincare Switzerland...I finally saw this at Walgreen's (Along with Arnaud...or Institute Arnaud...I don't remember the proper name of the line but it was on a thread a few months ago...). It's sold in Switzerland but is quite a bit less than the higher end Swiss skincare.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18160 www.skincode.com

One of my NY's resolutions is to finally settle on skincare. I'm going to be 27 next month and plan on taking a truly active approach to anti-ageing and keeping my skin looking great. I've been bouncing around from product to product just because...but now I want to settle into a routine for 2007.

Do the Swiss know something the rest don't? Is it truly worth the investment? I'm not sure I could afford Cellcosmet at this point, but perhaps Skincode Switzerland, or another line, would be okay?

Thanks in advance.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
yeah, also wanna know why they are all so expensive.
But 27 is a bit too young for them, right? Rolling Eyes
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
I don't think I'm too young to start thinking about the signs of age (preventing them anyway). I live in AZ where there are 350 days of sun and I rarely wear sweaters and cover up completely. While I know sunscreen is essential, I really want to start preventing aging. I look at it as being more proactive. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:25 am      Reply with quote
I believe the Swiss are ahead of most in skin care because many Swiss companies have been researching the subject for many years and probably have a much better understanding of the skin and how it works. I am a Valmont fanatic because it works for me. I also love Remergent (because my skin likes it too) but if money was no issue then it would be L Elixir every day. Forgot to add that Cellcosmet is a winner too as I use their cleanser/toner/exfoliant/activator.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:39 am      Reply with quote
I have been testing Skincode Switzerland for the last month. I have just come home from vacation so I will be writing a review soon.

Some of the products I really liked (the eyegel, regenerating nightcream and sos radiance cream), some not so much (the protective day cream). But in general I think it's good value for money!

Hm, I just hope that my darling hasn't thrown away the box with ingredients.Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:50 am      Reply with quote
bushy...I wish I could afford to go for Cellcosmet...maybe in the future when both my husband and I have jobs (we are both graduate students). This is one line that I'm definitely going to try when my finances will be a little bit more forgiving. Hence I'm fighting the urge to order the sample set...I'm afraid I'd love it too much!

Schnee...I'm very much looking forward to your review!
I'm looking at only a few of the products, as I'm happy with some of the ones I already have.
I'm looking at the Purifying gel cleanser, contour eye cream, and toner (maybe...I'm seriously not a toner person).

Thanks guys!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
I am a fan of swiss products too. Valmont and Cellcosmet are both pretty awesome. Havnet tried la prairie,swiss line and junvna yet. Those are the top 5 Swiss brands.
They are expensive. compare to a 20 bucks drug store cream, those 200 per bottle swiss creams may not deliver 10x the result. My hubby always saying i paid way too much for those all similar ingredients. I knew it but i just can't help!
Paris when i was a graduate student 3 years ago, i couldnt afford any of the brand names either. I am sure you can still find cheaper yet still good replacements.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
oh i also love Sisley, this line is not cheap at all compared to those swiss products. but i am thinking of switch it to cellcosmet after i finish sisley.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Personally, I thought SwissCode was as expensive as Cellcosmet & Valmont.

When I was in my early 20's and in school, I wouldn't even dare go near these expensive brands! Stick to some good brands that you can get from the drug store.
For example,
Neostrata
Cetaphil
Moisteral
Lac-Hydren 12% AHA
Some of Neutrogena
Baking Soda, to mix with Cetaphil and use as a facial & body scrub

Maybe just invest in a good sunblock for now.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Nothing Paristroika! I think the high end lines PROBABLY use more science behind their lines but that could be questionable. Theres no need for skin care to be extremely expensive. I'm over that now.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:16 am      Reply with quote
i am glad someone brought this up again. I needed another cleanser for my husband and i remembered someone mentioning the new lines at walgreens, so i headed over there to check it out. I ended up getting him the gentle cleanser by la fleur organique. I swear, it is identical to the cellcosmet cream cleanser...the smell, texture, and feeling after washing. It may be just a teeny bit more fluid than the cellcosmet. now my interest is peaked for their other products.

liz

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
I think I might venture into this line once my current cleanser runs low...I'm fighting the urge to "shower it" which is what I do to use up cleansers, but honestly, the 100% Pure Seafoam cleanser is fabulous and would be GREAT for me in the morning in the shower because of the refreshing properties of the cleanser...ahh there I go justifying a reason to buy this now. Argh!

I'm intrigued by abejita's comparison with cellcosmet though.

I couldn't find the ingredients for Cellcosmet's Cleanser at all, but here is the La Fleur one:
Citrus Aurantium Amara Flower Water Bitter Orange, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil Sweet Almond - Organic Ingredient, Corylus Avellana Seed Oil Hazel - Organic Ingredient, Myristyl Alcohol Myristyl Glucoside, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Hamamelis Virginiana Leaf Water Witch Hazel - Organic Ingredient, Cera Alba Organic Ingredient, Citrus Nobilis Peel Oil Mandarin Orange - Organic Ingredient, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Oil Orange - Organic Ingredient, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil Organic Ingredient, Salvia Sclarea Oil Clary - Organic Ingredient, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil Sunflower, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract Rosemary, Tocopherol, Stearyl Alcohol, Chondrus Crispus Carrageenan, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Benzyl Alcohol, Dehydroacetic Acid

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Paris-here's the ingredients for the Cellcosmet Purifying Gel:

Water, Propylene Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG-7 GlycerylEthylhexanoate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, French Rose Extract, Matricaria Extract, White Oak Bark Extract, Carbomer, Triethanolaimine, Imidazolidnyl Urea, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Magnesium Nitrate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, FD&C Blue No. 1 (CI 42090)
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
So, today I stopped by and got a tube of Skincode's gel cleanser. If all the skincare gods are aligned, maybe I'll like it as much as my beloved cellcosmet gel cleanser. We'll see, I'll let you know after I try it tonight. Also, they have a ton of samples of all their new lines (at walgreens) it may be worth stopping by there and picking up some samples...can't hurt anything.

liz

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Paris,
the price is sometimes a very relative issue. I.e. I use the Cellcosmet eye cream and like it (although we couldn’t find the reason why it should work – see Theresa’s thread about that). Yes, it’s a pricey product, but it goes a looong way. I’ve used it since June twice a day and it’s still not finished (1.03 oz pump bottle) – taking that into consideration, it’s a good investment.
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

When I was in my early 20's and in school, I wouldn't even dare go near these expensive brands! Stick to some good brands that you can get from the drug store.
For example,
Neostrata
Cetaphil
Moisteral
Lac-Hydren 12% AHA
Some of Neutrogena
Baking Soda, to mix with Cetaphil and use as a facial & body scrub

BEWARE of baking soda!
Read Carekate tirade:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=174460&highlight=baking+soda#174460

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry but I don't get it. Maybe somebody need to spell it out for me.

I read in Paula Begoun book that mixing Baking Soda with Cetaphil is a good physical scrub. I even read some celebrities doing this.

What is the worst thing Baking Soda could do? In Paula's book, if I remember correctly, she stated the more Cetaphil you add to the Baking Soda mixture, the softer the scrub is. The less you apply of Cetaphil the harsher the scrub.

I find it to be less harsh then MD Formulations Face & Body Scrub.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL---THANKS for the ingredient list for the purifying gel! Off to compare!!!

abejita wrote:
So, today I stopped by and got a tube of Skincode's gel cleanser. If all the skincare gods are aligned, maybe I'll like it as much as my beloved cellcosmet gel cleanser. We'll see, I'll let you know after I try it tonight. Also, they have a ton of samples of all their new lines (at walgreens) it may be worth stopping by there and picking up some samples...can't hurt anything.

liz

I haven't paid attention to the display at Walgreen's but the next time I'm in I'll definitely look for samples.

Quote:
I’ve used it since June twice a day and it’s still not finished (1.03 oz pump bottle) – taking that into consideration, it’s a good investment.

lin23...WOW, twice a day since June? I'd probably only use it at night, once...so it would probably last even longer. hmm the wheels are turning. It might be more economical than I'd previously assumed...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
I looked all over my Walgreens tonight and didn't find any new brands of skincare. I guess they haven't made it this far south yet? hmm
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, can't help you with that. I am sure someone else would.
I must say that becareful that you are not getting something that will be a waste of your money. Don't rush into it and better yet, maybe ask your dermo what she/he thinks of this line.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
I looked all over my Walgreens tonight and didn't find any new brands of skincare. I guess they haven't made it this far south yet? hmm

How far south are you? I am in Dallas, TX and it is all over the stores here. I went home to South Louisiana for christmas and it was in the walgreens there.

liz

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
I dont know what the Swiss do but I absolutely love all swiss skincare, Cellcosmet, Valmont and Juvena being my favourite.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:47 am      Reply with quote
What has everyone tried from Juvena?
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:20 am      Reply with quote
RE the Swiss & skincare

Maybe we're overlooking something more mundane here....like the tax system (or lack thereof). Maybe Switzerland can attract the best researchers etc because of some tax advantage. Just a thot...

The Swiss certainly seem to excel in many areas requiring thorough research, precision and quality. But why their products are generally more xpensive may also have to do with import/export regulations with Switzerland (just a thot), and their internal tax structure cuz everything manufactured in Switzerland, not just skincare, seems to have a high price tag.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I would agree with you on that. Also, if you take a look at Amore Pacific, the cost is very high.
But I think above that is the exclusive right to certain ingredients and scientist research on different chemicals/ingredients.

That is what we are paying for. Smile It is well worth it because at least we know that it is a higher grade of quality and scientist is doing their darnest to do a good job. Very Happy
I think Estee Lauder and other department namebrands dictate their scientist on what they have to do instead of allowing them to experiment due to lack of funds. I think the owner/share holders & CEO is keeping most of the money in their pocket.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |