Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Rant about shopping!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sure you gals are all familiar with this situation but what is it about snooty sales people at high end shops? What is it that makes them think they are above the customers they attend to? It's not as if they are any wealthier, smarter (in most cases) or generally better than the customers.

I was at Holt Renfrew Vancouver at the Scott Barnes countner trying to get my Trio blush in Samba (great reviews on MUA BTW) The lady ignored me the whole time I was trying on colors and when she finally but reluctantly attended to me after I requested assistance, she was a BIT*CH! Even while she was waiting for me to pay, she held out her hand impatiently before I even had a chance to reach into my pocket (I'm a very efficient shopper so I wasn't even doing it slowly) I did not have a purse or bag with me and she had the nerve to ask if I wanted a bag for my purchase as if it was an inconvenience for her! I've honestly never encounted a worse salesperson than her. If you happen to be there, avoid the tall blonde and let someone else have the commision.

I had errands to run in the rain so I was in a gortex jacket and running shoes but I wasn't unkempt or looked as if i was going to waste her time.

Anyway, I can order it for $45US if I ordered it and got it shipped to my US mailbox but I was impatient and ended up paying $65.54 Cnd after taxes.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I hate it, too. That's about the time I step back and say firmly & authoritatively, "I want a manager, NOW!" I don't yell. But, I am loud enough for those very nearby to hear. I spent too many years in cosmetics retail to put up with that!

What really gripes me is waiting and waiting to get assistance from someone who isn't busy (and knows I'm there waiting) and, then, hubby walks up and the salesperson runs over to ask if she can help him! He says, "I'm with my wife", pointing to me." She says, "Can I help you?" I say, "No. Not now." and leave. This has happened dozens of times over the past 25 years. Just makes me see RED!

Ari

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, that makes me so mad. I forgot to mention it was totally dead when I went too! It was early in the day and there was not one single person there. I don't know what it is but girls don't want to help girls with anything. I've often heard that the greatest barrier to advancing in a career is another woman!
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's because we're somehow taught to look at each other as competition. And, that goes back thousands of years. It has made it's way into the business world too, unfortunately. We could help each other soooo much if we just would. This forum is a prime example of the better qualities winning out. So many members here are genuinely helpful and caring. So, I believe it'll get better over time.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
If I have terrible customer service, I seriously am reluctant to go back to a store, even if I had no problems before that.

My husband and I, who were next in line at a store, were forced to wait because the sales person decided to help the lady STANDING BEHIND US first. He actually had the audacity to look AROUND us and ask HER if she needed any help (we were in line first, she had just shown up in line). I didn't even hesitate when I tossed the items I was going to buy on the counter and told him I was shopping somewhere else and he could sit on the fact he just lost a sale.

I've never gone back to that counter. I see him there all the time though. I refuse to give him any business (they get credit for sales at this place).

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Yep. Lots of stores and eateries have lost my piddlin' business. I don't think that gets noticed like demanding a manager, you know?

I once told a snotty server at a restaurant, "I think you have our relationship confused. I'm profit, you're overhead." I got such a blank stare that I decided that went right over her head. (probably had to ask someone later what it meant.)

Oh well. Needless to say, no tip for her.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
Yep. Lots of stores and eateries have lost my piddlin' business. I don't think that gets noticed like demanding a manager, you know?

I once told a snotty server at a restaurant, "I think you have our relationship confused. I'm profit, you're overhead." I got such a blank stare that I decided that went right over her head. (probably had to ask someone later what it meant.)

Oh well. Needless to say, no tip for her.

Ari

haha! Ari, that's fabulous. I'm sure she had to ask someone about that!

As for tipping, if you REALLY want to send a message (I worked in restaurants for a few years), leave a penny. Why? Because if you don't tip, the server assumes you just forgot, and gets pissed...but still doesn't equate the lack of tip with terrible service. By leaving a penny, especially right on top of the bill you just paid, it sends a message: No I didn't forget to tip you, I'm putting this penny down because that's how much your service was worth!"

I knew a girl that got a penny in a restaurant I worked in during high school...she cried and quit that night. She was a HORRIBLE server...we always had to pick up her slack, and she was rude.
I don't know of this practice in many places, it was common in N. Michigan, where I grew up...I introduced it down here and had to elaborate for a fellow server when it happened to him at a steak house I worked at three years ago. It didn't phase him, he ended up going into bar tending at a local bar.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean by those snooty Holt Renfrew salespeople. They judge customers based on what they wear, which is so shallow, and really their own loss. I find that when I go in with no makeup, casual clothes and backpack (standard college uniform), I am ignored and given attitude whenever I ask for assistance...however if I go in all made up and wearing fancier clothes, they scurry to help me. The lady at the Nars counter was most helpful and "nice" when I told her I was there to buy a bunch of products for Christmas, but she totally gave me attitude when I went back to return the foundation which broke me out. No smile, only one-syllable conversation. Tsk tsk.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean about Holt Renfrew. Whenever I go there, it's the only store I actually DRESS UP to go shopping at! Otherwise I figure they will just look at me like I shouldn't be there (or just ignore me). Kinda crazy. It's unfortunate they're the only store in town to carry some makeup brands you can't get anywhere else in the city and all those beautiful designer bags I lust after so much. Smile
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree....The Holt's in my city is a joke! (sorry Holt Renfrew employees)...The false airs and graces are almost comical! Just nickels trying to be quarters...Ari: Your restaurant one-liner was brilliant!
pudoodles
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
I actually prefer to be left alone and shop in peace so I dress down to go shopping-its more comfortable to shop in runners anyway but when I've picked an item out, I expect for the salesperson to help me out without an attitude. I've had a few helpful ladies at Holt's but many are snooty. I hate to generalize but the wannabe ones who "dress up" for their "glamour" job are the worst ones. I love nice stuff but I would rather shop online. The selection is better and I save lots.

Regardless of their career status, everyone should be kind to others but c'mon, what right does a sales person have to show their paying customers contempt? Anything less than common courtesy and basic service is downright unprofessional.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:08 am      Reply with quote
I agree with everyone here. I dread the Holt's in Vancouver - even when I buy something the sales isn't very nice, sort of like I'm not buying enough or what I'm buying is not expensive enough. Also sometimes I'm there to check out the NEW arrivals, new colours or scents, but the sales always stare as if I'm a thief or something Mad I also hate it when I'm the only customer there and the *TWO* sales could just be sitting instead of helping me. I look sort of young so even when I'm dressed nicely the sales always give me this look that makes me feel like I can't afford their products or something.

Apart from Holt's I had the worst experience at Salvatore Ferragamo that made me NOT go back ever again. I went in to look for a wallet and the Asian ladies that were there was staring at me very very rudely and then one of them came up to ask if she can help me in a tone of voice that obviously showed she does not want to help me but was just afraid I was there to steal something. They were literally "looking down on me"!
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:32 am      Reply with quote
While I'm not rude back, I match the tone of voice that they use with me. Here is my personal general experience with Holt's

Men's dept-nice and helpful
women's shoes-ok
women's hats and accessories-helpful enough
lingerie-pushy but helpful
cosmetics-a mix of pushy sales tactics, rudness, and helpful. philosophy, estee lauder and laurier mercier were nice; La Mer was pushy, YSL, Bobbi Brown, and Scott Barnes were almost rude
Fragrance ppl in general were a bit in my space
upstairs ladies dept- main section helpful but the designer sections were a bit snobby...all around not too bad.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Yep! Thats why I love shopping over the internet.
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Long story short

Last week I went shopping at Mexx Clothing. It was the firts time I actually pay attention to the clothes. I find a nice shirt but when it read the label it was a number insted of (s,m,l,xl) that im used to see on tops. Usully when I shop for pant I go whit numbers but it never hapend to me to buy a shirt by number. anyway. i ak the women at the changing room
-scuse me, what does 4 mean ?
she answer
-SIZE 4 !
What a bumbass answer. Dah!
She was so rude. Teh I explain a little bit more my question and she finally says that it was like a small. Bravo! dumbass!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I hate bad service. I mean, what do they get out of it anyway? I used to work in retailing and it was fun talking to customers and help them find things they need. You go there to "work" and honestly, it's really boring if you are lazy and don't do anything.

The Holt Renfrew we have here is alright. I find that some MAC SA can be really cold, but most are really pleasant. I don't know why SA judge people by their appearance. From my experience in retailing, some of the biggest sales were from averagely dressed customers.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
This is one of my WORST pet peeves!

Whenever I get a bad experience, I try to contact the manager and/or owner, especially if it's somewhere I'm likely to return. You're actually doing them a favour when you tell them about the problem, then they can do something about it. Otherwise, they will never know, the employee in question will be kept on board and more and more unsatisfied customers will stop shopping there.

When it is not a store I intend on returning to, I do nothing but decide to never purchase there again... their loss!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
I once told a snotty server at a restaurant, "I think you have our relationship confused. I'm profit, you're overhead." Ari

That is great! I'll have to share that with my Dad. The one he uses is "Try to think of me as a customer".

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
freefall2 wrote:
Arielle wrote:
I once told a snotty server at a restaurant, "I think you have our relationship confused. I'm profit, you're overhead." Ari

That is great! I'll have to share that with my Dad. The one he uses is "Try to think of me as a customer".

Too cute!
Janna
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
I agree Ari.

or.....

(Kinda OT but related) How about when you are eating out and the waitress comes over and gives all the attention to your boyfriend and totally ignores you. I am not talking about flirting with him or anything. I am talking about directing all her questions towards him. Are you ready to order? Would you like an appetizer? More tea? etc etc. It pisses me off royally. Mad
Janna
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I agree Ari.

or.....

(Kinda OT but related) How about when you are eating out and the waitress comes over and gives all the attention to your boyfriend and totally ignores you. I am not talking about flirting with him or anything. I am talking about directing all her questions towards him. Are you ready to order? Would you like an appetizer? More tea? etc etc. It pisses me off royally. Mad
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Yepper. That one gets me, too. Since I'm just a woman, I couldn't possibly know what I want to eat. Laughing Laughing Laughing

My hubby has been great about that. He just looks at me until the server does. Makes them kinda wiggle for a moment. Then, I answer.

The following story is a little long:

After he and I had been married for a couple of years, I needed a new car. I knew exactly what I was looking for in a car, if not the actual model and make. All the sales staff wanted to deal directly with him. The finance manager directed all his "stuff" to hubby who consistently deferred to me. They didn't get the picture.

So, having negotiated the price I wanted, etc., the sales manager got the papers ready to sign and instructed hubby to co-sign. My darling hubby refused. They stated it was their policy. I was flabbergasted! DH responded with, "If I came in to buy a car, would you want her to co-sign?" "No." "Is there something wrong with her credit?" "No, it's excellent." DH said, "This is my wife, not my daughter. She is an adult. She has her own job and her own bills. And, if you insist on "your policy" we'll go somewhere else." He then turned and looked at me and said, "Is that okay with you?" I said, "Yes, it is. Let's go." Needless to say, he didn't co-sign for me. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, I just love that one.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Ari,I can't believe people are that backwards. Here, they could have sold a car. I'm glad you didn't buy it there.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
No, actually, I did buy the car there. They knew we were serious (and we were!) about leaving so they backtracked on that and re-processed the papers without his name on them. The finance manager had gone to the dealership owner and our salesman and really got an earfull! We could hear the owner's voice 3 offices away. Surprised Surprised Surprised

I really believe it WAS their policy up 'til that moment.

Ari

p.s. I like to think that the next woman got treated a whole lot better.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
It just makes me laugh how those who work in retail feel superior to others. It's not like it's a career that requires a universtiy degree! Give me a break. And I'm sure most of the people who shop at Holt's to begin with make tons more money than the salespeople who work there. Now I'm not bashing ALL retail salespeople, please don't misunderstand. Hey I've been one myself back in the day. But not once did I feel someone was inferior to me and couldn't afford the goods in my shop. It's just plane rude and ignorant no matter what profession you are involved in. Courtesy and respect go a long way. It's a lesson all should learn.

PS That penny tip made me laugh. God knows I've felt like doing that plenty of times.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |