Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
any experience with bifocal *contact lenses*?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:43 am      Reply with quote
I think I am teetering on the brink of needing bifocals. I may be able to put it off another year, but I said that last year, so I probably need to look into this really for sure now. I prefer to wear contacts (not interested in LASIK, etc.) but not a lot of people I know have experience with bifocal contacts. Can anyone tell me if they've tried these, what brand they used, how they liked them, what adjustment period they went through, etc.? Thanks!
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I am also teetering on the edge of these, and have been asking around.

A couple of friends have them and are surprisingly un phased by them.

They seemed to adjust really well, no problems.
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have used monovision for about 10 years. This is where one contact is for close up and the other eye, usually the dominant one, is for distance. It was much easier to adjust to than my bifocal glasses!
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the bifocal and couldn't stand them! I, too, am doing monovision.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
OK, this will sound dumb. Embarassed But with the monovision contacts, do you have to close one eye to read up close, or do you always have both eyes open for distance and/or up-close reading?

I made my eye doc appointment for early February, so that's a start...
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
No. Your brain handles everything and causes your eyes to focus as it would naturally.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! Thanks, Ari. My brain would be smarter than I am then! Laughing
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
marci, you're hilarious!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
Wow! Thanks, Ari. My brain would be smarter than I am then! Laughing

Ain't that the truth! I am afraid that I would just go around in circles.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the monovision lenses first and could not tolerate them. It takes weeks or months for your brain to learn how to see with this system and I felt like I had motion sickness the entire time.

I scrapped those for bifocal lenses about 4 yrs ago and I couldn't be happier with them. There is a trade-off though. I lost some of my distance vision with these. Not much, but it's enough that I wear a special set of glasses on top of my contacts for night driving.

Hope this helps!

-Cheri
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
Now that's really interesting. I had the opposite experience. The bifocals made me disoriented and a little nauseated. And, the monovision took about 1 1/2hrs to completely adjust to.

Well, there you have it marci. I guess it just depends on the individual. My optometrist let me try each type and walk around for awhile to see how I liked them. Since my optometrist's office was next door to a mall, I went shopping for about 30 minutes with each pair of lenses, first one pair and then the other and then made up my mind. Maybe your doc will let you do that, too.

Ari

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:47 am      Reply with quote
My experience was like Ari's. Seems like it took an hour or so to adjust to monovision. I didn't even try bifocal contacts. I would guess that they are more expensive so my eye doctor preferred to go the monovision route. I don't wear my bifocal glasses much but when I do they make me nauseous. It is amazing what your brain can adjust to!
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:22 am      Reply with quote
That is very interesting that there are strong preferences for one or the other (monovision or bifocal lenses). I guess that I will have to test drive both, assuming that my eye doc offers both as an option. I appreciate your sharing your experiences! Smile
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the thread and all the posts. I'm facing this problem too and my eye doctor wants me to actually buy each type of contact to see which I'd do better with.Shock So happy several mentioned their dr's let them experiment. I will demand this from my doctor Bad Grin !!

Thanks again.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Donnababe, I just don't understand that nonsense. Every eyedoc I've ever had sample lenses. My doc was the one that suggested I walk around a bit in both pair before deciding. I didn't even know I had that option. I can understand your eyedoc being a bit hesitant on the bifocal lenses (maybe). But, you can certainly try the monovision in his samples of daily wear lenses like focus dailies. That's what I wear, by the way.

Ari

p.s. For others interested in this topic. Do forget about astigmatism issues with contacts. I have astigmatism in one of my eyes (don't know/can't remember which one) and have been wearing contacts from age 18 to 56. Let's see, that's 38 years. LOL

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have the monovision lenses, and have had them for a few years. My optician says he wont be able to do them for much longer, as the discrepancy between the two eyes would get too extreme Sad .

I guess this is because I am VERY short sighted to begin with Sad
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Gosh, catski, how nearsighted are you? I thought I was nearly blind. With monovision, my lens prescription is R: -4.50 (far) and L: -2.75 (close). With lenses, I correct to 20/10.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle, I'm not sure what my lenses are right now that I have two different..

I think before all this shifting of my vision with age, I was a straightforward -6.

Thank the lord for contact lenses...
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
wow. I used to be a -5 in both eyes. But, I guess with getting older, the far vision has improved a little bit.

A

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
I started wearing specs age 7,and contacts age 17, so I dont know any different.

But I do think about what would have happened to someone like me in the days before spectacles.

Unimaginable!
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
I'd love this topic.

To: marci65,

hehe ,I also have the same question in mind as yours. Embarassed Embarassed Cool
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Just posting back with an update. I went last week for my eye exam. My eye doc had the bifocal contact lenses, so I didn't get the chance to try monovision lenses -- and I was not really wanting to go the monovision route. I have a steep base curve (steep corneas) and I am hard to fit in regular soft lenses anyway, so the multi-focal contacts did not fit my eye well. They slid around every time I blinked and it took several seconds after each blink for them to settle somewhat correctly on my eye. Sad I was soooo bummed. Had they fit me, I would not have hesitated to go that route -- for the first time in many years, I was able to see distance and close-up with contacts on. However, my vision became blurry after a few minutes because the lens just didn't sit well at all. My eye doc gave me the demo pair of bifocal (progressive, really) lenses just in case I wanted to mess around with them more at home. But I ended up ordering regular contacts for distance and will have to make peace with using reading glasses when needed when I wear my contacts. Sad

On the glasses front, splurged and got a new pair of frames that I'm happy about, and they will have the progressive lenses, so that I can see better at all distances after I get used to them.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry the bifocals didn't work for you, marci. It's a bummer about the lenses. But, hey, the glasses sound great!

Ari

p.s. Had my annual today. My prescription hasn't changed in 17 years. Not bad for an old broad, huh?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Aw.. it's okay. Atleast you got a pair of new frames that you're happy about! Glasses are sexy too!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for making me feel better about the situation! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |