Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Can Cleansing Oils Cause Dryness????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:04 am      Reply with quote
I had my husband use the Amore Pacific Cleansing Oil yesterday and something about his reaction really puzzles me. Let me know what you all think.

DH normally uses Zest Soap and is used to having his skin feel very clean after cleansing. I was interested to see what he thought of the cleansing oil and if he felt that it left a film or if it did not clean. First off he massaged the cleansing oil in for a few minutes and then showered. He said that as soon as he rinsed it off he still felt some residue but that after a few minutes of showering there didn't seem to be any residue but his face "just didn't feel clean". Right after he showered I asked him how his face felt after he dried it and he was sort of "well I don't know. maybe it is clean.....". Then 15 minutes or so later I saw him feeling his face and asked what was up and whether he felt it was oily or felt some residue and what he said totally surprised me. His face felt dry!!!!! I was surprised especially since I assumed that his bias would be towards thinking that there was some oil left behind. I asked him if he did anything that day which would have made his skin a little drier like being outside in the sun. I looked at the humidity and it was about the same as always and the day was if anything a little warmer. I really tried to rule out any other possible explanations before saying that the cleansing oil caused his face to be dry.

Needless to say my interest is totally piqued. Wink Could the cleansing oil have dried his skin? Have any of you ever experienced dryness from a cleansing oil? Is it at all possible that some cleansing oils are more drying than "soap"?

For those of you who are interested here are the ingredients for the cleansing oil and for his soap.
Amore Pacific Cleansing Oil
Hydrogenated polydecene, c12-15 alkyl benzoate, peg-20 glyceryl trilostearate, polyoxyethylene monoisosterate (8E.O.), isopropyl palmitate, polysorbate 80, hydrogenated isocetyl olivate, hydrogenated olive oil unsaponifiables, meadowfoam see oil, safflower seed oil, glyceryl arachidonate, glyceryl linoleate, glyceryl linolenate, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, pyllostachis bambusoides sap, jojoba seed oil, tocopherol, grape seed oil, fragrance

Zest Soap
Sodium Tallowate and/or Sodium Palmate, Sodium Cocoate and/or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Cocoglyceryl Ether Sulfonate, Magnesium Tallowate and/or Magnesium Palmate, Water, Talc, Magnesium Cocoate and/or Magnesium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide, Coconut Acid*, Palm Kernel Acid*, Tallow Acid*, Palm Acid*, Green 3, Yellow 10, *Contains one or more of these ingredients
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Theresa,
I became intrigued with the OCM and decided to give it a try. After four weeks, my skin was peeling, red and sore from being so dry. I made my own mix and I realize that I could have probably adjusted the mix but it was near the holidays and I decided to stop the OCM and experiment again in January. But yes, I definitely became dryer from using it. Next time I'm considering trying the Laventine. Two nights of Emu and my skin felt and looked much, much better.

kimberly
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Kimberly-I have heard of others having problems with OCM causing dryness. I have heard that too much castor oil can cause this. What oils were you using and in what ratios? Also, I am no expert on homemade OCM but my understanding is that since you use no emulsifiers in the oil you need to wipe your face numerous times with a hot cloth to remove the oil. Is this true? If so then it is possible that all the hot water is what is causing the dryness which wouldn't be the case in my husbands situation.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Theresa, I was using EVOO at 60 %, Castor oil, 30 and Jojoba at 10. I did the warm cloth on my face for a few minutes and then went over with two passes. As bad as it is, I usually use very warm water and didn't feel I used warmer than usual. It was as if the oils stripped my skin of all moisture.

k
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Theresa, I sampled DHC cleansing oil, and it was too drying for my skin, I had very uncomfortable feeling after using it. Also, I tried cleansing oil from GOW, and it took me 2-3 weeks to figure out that this was the problem of my skin irritation. Markey (the owner) told me that I had reaction on PEG-7 (the component from olive oil that made this oil water-soluble).
On the other hand, I used OCM (pure camellia oil), and my skin feeled very good afterward, no dryness at all.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
kimberly-thanks for explaining that! It does sound like it might be the oils.

jumpingball-I have tried several samples of the DHC and it dried my skin too. I wonder why this cleansing oil seemed to dry my skin and the others didn't? The only thing that I can think is that when I sampled this I may not have been using moisturizer in the evening but I don't recall for sure. My husband did say that the areas around his eyes where he applied eye cream felt okay but the rest of his face was dry. Maybe I am not noticing the dryness myself because I always use moisturizer. Or maybe the oils just don't dry my skin. I did OCM once with camellia oil and it seemed to go okay. How do you normally remove your oil? With hot or warm water?
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
I usually remove it with warm water and microfiber cloth. Right now I don't use OCM because the cloth feels harsh on my skin in colder weather plus I don't have time for it. Maybe I'll go back to OCM in summer.

Regarding DHC cleansing oil, I used moisturiser (emu oil + HA) on a regular basis, so I think it was not the reason for dryness for me.
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
Theresa, I had that dry feeling after the Amore P. cleansing oil but I thought it might be caused by the muslin cloth I used for washing it off my face. I felt that without the cloth AP cleansing oil left a light film on my skin.
I’ve been using EveLom for years – which is a sort of OCM – and it didn’t make my skin dry (I have dry skin during the winter, it’s normal during summer).
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
lin, you always use a muslin cloth right? So I am not so sure that it would be the muslin cloth causing the dryness. I actually had DH do the experiment because I wanted to know if he thought that the cleansing oil was leaving a film. I am glad that I did though because now I am really starting to wonder if I am drying my skin some with these cleansing oils and end up having to compensate with alot of moisturizer. I mean my skin is somewhat oily and if I don't follow my moisturizing routine my skin gets really dehydrated. I always though it was the desert but maybe the cleansing oil is part of the problem. I have a feeling that if DH continued using the cleansing oil he would need to start using a moisturizer. I just find it odd that the AP cleansing oil could be more drying than Zest soap!! Well anyway I officially finished the Amore Pacific yesterday and although I do have another bottle of it I am starting the Eve Lom tonight.
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
This is very puzzling.

First, I want to talk about residue. Which is why you had your husband try the cleansing oil in the first place. To me, reading your post, it seems like the AP is leaving a residue. And this was one of the cleansing oils that to you rinsed clean.
-After rinsing, your husband said there was a residue.
-After a few more minutes of showering, he said there wasn't a residue, but his face didn't feel clean. Which might mean there's still a residue - I mean why doesn't his face feel clean when other posters write that after using a cleansing oil their faces feel clean.
-After drying his face, he still wasn't sure if it was clean.
This exchange, for me at least, scores a point in favor of double-cleansing.

Also, Theresa's test gave me an idea. Perhaps the best way to test if cleansing oils leave a residue is with cleansing oil virgins. I remember the first time I used Shu Uemura. I thought it was horrible, and couldn't understand why so many people I knew were using the stuff. It made my face feel unclean in a way it had never felt before, and I tried desperately to rinse it off. I went over and over it again with my hands and my face still felt unclean. I then thought perhaps there was some sort of trick involved and after drying, my face would feel completely clean. Well, after drying my face still felt unclean - like there was some sort of matte finish. And I felt like I had polluted a nice, clean towel. Anyway, the whole experience turned me off cleansing oils, and I didn't try the Shu again for months. I started again because due to work reasons my face was getting really unclean, but this time around I used a second cleanser. However, some recent discussions on this forum have made me try to really notice the feel of my skin after just using a cleansing oil. I'm nearly done with a 2nd bottle of Shu. When I use it now, I still feel it leaves a residue. However, it doesn't seem as horrible as before. The first time I used Shu, I thought I was left with an awful mask on my face that I just couldn't take off. Now, this feeling has shrunk to the point, where it's more like there's just extra greasiness that doesn't need to be there. I wonder if regular use of cleansing oils desensitizes us to their feel, so that we are not good judges of residual oil.

Second, about the observed drying effect... I don't know what to say. I mean it's not like this man was using a gentle cleanser or something -- he was Zest fully clean!

I can only wonder. Because your husband felt the AP didn't rinse off clean... did he then scrub at his face a lot more than he normally does? Did he let the hot shower water rain on his face much more, when he usually just lets it splash somewhere else?

I'm at a loss. I've frickin' used Zest before - below the neck - and didn't like it. Your husband uses it on his face - and it doesn't dry him out, and he doesn't use moisturizer, and you guys live in a desert environment - but Amore Pacific cleansing oil dries him out? I must go hit my head against something now.

Theresa, perhaps you could have him double cleanse with something afterwards. That way we know there's no more cleansing oil residue, so we can be sure it's not drying residue that's making his face feel dry - but something happening during the actual cleansing process.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
I am not that attracted to trying an oil cleanser. I do own Nuxe Dry Oil and love it, but it does not leave my skin with any type of residue or leave a greasy film on my clothes. At the same time, it does not moisterize my skin. I think it is just a skin softener. I love Nuxe with the shimmer. It is a lovely make-up for the body without getting my clothes greasy and it makes my skin look like it has that glow look. I would say that yes, this dry oil dries out my skin. If I applied it at night for a night out and in the morning, I want to apply my body moisterizer on top. When I put it on the bottome of my dry feet, it did not moisterize or seal in any moister on the bottom of my feet.

As for Sonya Dakar Omega 3 oil/serum, it did not dry out my skin at all. It would sit on your skin and make your skin look glowy. But it did balance out the oilyness on my face.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
RMB this is one of those things that has me totally puzzled and is honestly making me question my opinions on cleansers!

I am actually starting to question my assumption that these cleansing oils don't leave any residue. I can always feel a film on my skin right after I rinse them off. This film varies with the cleansing oil and does decrease if I shower right after using the cleansing oil as I imagine that the water from the shower removes some of this residue. But then after I dry my face it feels clean and often if I don't moisuturize ASAP it looks dehydrated-not flakey but sort of parched. It is actually this dryness that made me think that despite the film I was feeling after rinsing the oil cleanser must not be leaving any residue because if it were my skin would look and feel greasy not dry and dehydrated.

So all along I too have been often experiencing dryness with these cleansing oils. It never occured to me that the cleansing oil might be causing the dryness though. I always assumed it was something else. The weather, dehydrated from not using enough moisturizer, etc. I mean this is an oil how could it be causing dry skin!! I never put it in the same category as other cleansers where I would say such and such cleanser overdried.

To answer some of your questions. DH did not overscrub or let the water run on his face more. I asked him to do the double cleansing and he is very opposed. He will try the cleansing oil again (very reluctantly) but since it dried his face he feels that adding a cleanser afterwards would be very bad.

Personally I don't think that the cause of the dryness is a film. If the oil cleansers did leave a film one would think that it would be oily and not leave a tight dry feeling. The dryness I felt was something that I could actually see-my skin sometimes literally looked parched.

I still am not ready to say that cleansing oils are drying but I really think I need to take another look at what I thought was a very gentle, non-drying way to cleanse my face.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Some oils on my body, cause exteme dryness, even L'Occtaine pure shea butter, my body loves it upon application, then by morning I am running for a body cream. So I can't imagine oils couldn't do the same on ones face.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
ToL MelissaMarie,

I wonder whether L'Occtaine shea butter is similar from Body Shop shea butter for body. I hate that one from Body Shop as it is very greasy and sticky.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Here's the update from DH's second trial of the Amore Pacific:

I asked him how his skin felt right after rinsing and he said that it felt smooth like there was something there but that it didn't feel bad.
After drying when I asked him if his skin felt clean he sort of paused and then said it felt "nice".
15 minutes or so after cleansing I asked him if his face felt dry and he said that it did. I actually looked at his skin and I could see that it looked very dehydrated. He ended up applying moisturizer!

I am convinced that this cleansing oil is drying my husbands skin. The day between his two uses of the AP when he used his soap I specifically asked him if his skin felt dry 15 minutes or so after cleansing and he said NO!

When I asked DH why he thought the cleansing oil was drying he said it was overstripping his skin similar to what happens if he cleanses twice with his soap. He said that maybe the fact that he spends about twice as long massaging the cleansing oil into his skin as he does with the soap may be part of the problem. (RMB I may have misunderstood what you were asking when you said did he scrub more with the cleansing oil since he actually doesn't scurb his face ever whether it is with the soap or the cleansing oil.) I don't know! I sort of thought that one of the benefits of these cleansers is that they are so mild that you can leave them on your face for a minute or two and really massage them in to remove makeup, etc.

Oddly enough the Eve Lom does not seem to be drying from the several times I used it but I am keeping a close eye on this and if I experience dryness with the EL I won't make the assumption like I did with the cleansing oils that the Eve Lom can't be the cause. lin23 also reports that the Eve Lom is not drying. Why would the EL be different? Does it have less surfactants? The EL is differnt than these cleansing oils in that it does not rinse off. It is not really water soluable. It seems that if you don't wipe it off-it doesn't come off. Is it possible that the cleansing balms and actual OCM where you need to do more than just rinse to remove them aren't as drying as the water soluable cleansing oils?

Back to the residue issue. How do you determine if a cleanser leaves a residue? Do you judge by how your skin feels right after rinsing or by how it feels after drying? If the former I would say that the cleansing oils do leave a residue but if the later I would say that they don't. As for the Eve Lom I really didn't notice any residue.
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
Is it possible that the cleansing balms and actual OCM where you need to do more than just rinse to remove them aren't as drying as the water soluable cleansing oils?

Theresa, I didn't use EL, and I don't know the ingredients of this cleanser, but I think the water-soluble component in oil cleansers is a reason of dryness. As I wrote you in my case it was PEG-7, and I even tried to dilute the cleanser with olive oil in the palm of my hand to see if it would help with dryness, but I experienced the same feeling of dryness afterward. I think OCM is not drying at all, at least according to my experience.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
jumpingball I did see your comment a few posts back about the PEG-7 but I assumed you were talking mostly about it being an issue with irritaion and not the direct cause of the dryness. I guess we are both suspecting the water-soluable component. I do think that Eve Lom has some surfactants but I am no expert here and can't say for sure what is what in the EL. I do however know that if it does contain surfactants it does not contain enough of them to make the oil water soluable.

Here's the ingredients for the Eve Lom if you want to take a look:
Paraffinum Liquididum (mineral oil), Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-30 Lanolin, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Aluminum Stearate, Theobroma Cacao (cocoa butter), PEG-75 Lanolin, Chamomila Recutita (chamomile oil), Eugenia Caryophyllus (clove oil), Eucalyptus Globulus (eucalyptus oil), Humulus Lupulus (hops oil), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Proplyparaben, Isobutylparaben, p-Chloro-m-Cresol, Eugenol, Isoeugenol.

It does have PEGs but they are followed by lanolin and I am not sure what that means. I will have to check on some of the ingredients when I have the time and of course if anyone else wants to comment on the ingredients that would be great!
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Some people who have used oils not for cleansing, but as a moisturizer have said they are causing dryness. I don't think they're causing dryness, such as impairing your skin's barrier function or something. Rather, I just think they're not doing a good enough job of moisturizing for you. I think oils have a barrier ability to help your skin, but they don't contain any moisture-binding ingredients. So some people prone to dryness might be better served with the creams and lotions that contain moisture-binding ingredients such as glycerin, urea, etc. that help draw water from deeper in the skin and better keep it bound in the skin.

Theresa - I'm reading what you wrote and it's like we're all involved in a detective story Very Happy . So I'm reading, and I think your husband's dryness has less to do with the Amore Pacific formulation, than with how he's using it. Hear me out.

Right after your husband is done cleansing - when the towel leaves his face and he's ready for the next step in his routine - he says his face feels "nice". Now this to me is not a drying cleanser. When I use a drying cleanser, my face is screaming for moisture at this point. It's like I can't apply moisturizer fast enough. I think you probably know the feeling I'm talking about. It's not 15 minutes later, but a need for moisture right away - and certainly not "nice".

The fact that your husband's skin doesn't feel dry right after cleansing, but only a few minutes after perhaps suggests that there is still product remaining on your husband's face. Then the dryness might be explained, as the emulsifiers in the Amore Pacific are fine if they're only in contact with your skin for a few minutes during cleansing and are then rinsed off. As the Amore Pacific is not meant to be a leave-on cleanser, if left on the skin those emulsifiers might interfere with sebaceous lipids trying to redistribute on the skin or other skin functions.

If your husband can make sure he's removing all the AP, then perhaps his skin will continue to feel nice. Just some guesses.

And regarding the residue issue, for me it's how the skin feels right after rinsing. That's why I feel all the oil-based cleansers I've used leave a residue. Even with the Eve Lom I like to use a second cleanser.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
RMB wrote:
As the Amore Pacific is not meant to be a leave-on cleanser, if left on the skin those emulsifiers might interfere with sebaceous lipids trying to redistribute on the skin or other skin functions.

If your husband can make sure he's removing all the AP, then perhaps his skin will continue to feel nice. Just some guesses.

So you are saying that you suspect the residue is the emulsifiers and that this is what is causeing his skin to not be able to redistirbute the natural lipids which causes dryness?

I was assuming that since the emulsifiers are water soluable they would rinse away and that if there were any residue it would consist of oils and not the emulsifiers. I was also thinking that the reason the dryness did not surface right away is because after cleansing there is extra water in the skin that will evaporate unless something is added to the skin to keep it from doing this. Once the water evaporates the dryness is noticable.
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Theresa, the emulsifiers are oil soluble, too.

They don't just get rinsed away, leaving the oil behind. Or else why would they be included in the product at all?

If there's oil being left behind, there are emulsifiers in there, too.

The sebaceous lipid thing was just my guess at a factor that might be contributing to your husband's dryness. My thinking is that if emulsifiers are on your husband's skin, they'll affect the behavior of lipids on your husband's skin.

Basically, I'm just saying that I think your husband is experiencing dry skin because there are emulsifiers remaining on his skin.

Now there are emulsifiers in all sorts of products that don't rinse off, such as moisturizers. However, in those cases their roles have been planned and their presence taken into account. In your husband's case the emulsifiers are not supposed to be there that way: they were supposed to have been removed.

Anyway, this is just my best guess right now as we work to crack this mystery.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Poking my nose in here to give my OCM experience.

The oils and emulsifiers are both being rinsed off. The PEG-7 maks it possible to get most of the oils off wihtout using detergents. (I just washed my fac with PEG-7; not nearly as nice as with oils and PEG-7.)

Your hubby's skin barrier/balance is being upset. So it feels fine right after cleansing, but moisture continues to evaporate, since the protective oils and sebum are no longer there. 15 minutes later, it feels dry to him. Dry as in dehydrated. Quick! Cover him up! For the love of GOD, girl, cover him! Laughing

OCM is good for oily skin, with excess sebum. It is not good for normal or dry skin at all. Imagine an oily residue in a cup. If you wash with only water, the oil is barely disturbed. If you wash with oil and emulsifier, you have a better chance of getting rid of most of the oil.

Of course, if you wash with alcohol or detergent or CLOROX, you get rid of it entirely. Which is what we oily gals have done for years, but it is, um, not in our best interest.

Balancing skin is the key. Your hubby does not need OCM. It takes away excess thick sebum. But if you don't have excess sebum -- it takes away your own protective layer. See?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
Your hubby's skin barrier/balance is being upset. So it feels fine right after cleansing, but moisture continues to evaporate, since the protective oils and sebum are no longer there. 15 minutes later, it feels dry to him. Dry as in dehydrated. Quick! Cover him up! For the love of GOD, girl, cover him! Laughing

Sidda-
I made a post about this before, but no one responded.

I don't feel removing the entire surface layer of sebum once (maybe twice) a day is bad at all. I think most skins can recover from this once or twice rate.

I also think it is a good thing to remove the sebum. There are impurities mired within, and many of the beneficial elements of sebum get used up - such as the vitamin E gets oxidized and the glycerol goes to hydrate the skin. Why not remove this old, dirty, used-up sebum to be better replaced by newly secreted sebum?

Also, people are always mentioning how you need to use a cleanser that removes "excess" sebum and "respects" the non-excess sebum. What's that all about? Are surfactants like smart bombs these days that they can distinguish between excess sebum and non-excess sebum?

A detergent is either going to remove all of the surface layer of sebum, or leave some. And the some it leaves isn't just going to be the magical, clean variety. If it's going to leave sebum, there'll be old, used-up sebum, too.

OCM is going to leave sebum. It's going to leave some of the sebum you already had on your skin, and some of its own oil.

Because there are negatives to the sebum layer: barrier / pore clogger, contains moisturizing factors / loses moisturizing factors, contains E / contains oxidized E... I think you should remove the layer on a basis your skin can handle - which I think for most skins is once or twice a day. I think when people complain of dry skin, it's not due to surface sebum removal (unless you're constantly cleansing your skin that you never allow the sebum layer to reform), but due to using too harsh cleansers. Cleansers that not only remove the surface sebum, but also penetrate the skin to denature proteins, remove intercellular lipids.

Earlier in this thread, Theresa mentioned her husband uses Zest with soaps/detergents such as sodium tallowate. With these types of detergents, I think Theresa's husband has been removing his surface layer of sebum regularly - and so don't think this is the cause of his dryness.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I guess it all comes down to proper PH level in the cleanser. I find that my cleanser does remove sebum and I don't feel dry afterwards. It takes about five minutes to feel dry/tight feeling. I never had this problem in my teens & twenties, but now I do get that dry feeling about five minutes afterward.

I still think that cleansing oils does leave some sort of residue. I don't beleive that using a toner afterwards is justified. If you cleanser cannot cleanse properly then you are wasting money on the wrong cleanser and spending more to use a toner.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I agree pH is also key -- as well as method of cleansing (exfoliation). I have very thick facial skin, particularly on the sides, and use a salt scrub (yes, on my face) every night. But there is no way it would stand for this twice a day. If I don't do it once a day, though, I break out.

I'd be interested in knowing the pH of Zest and the pH of the OCM used. And also the pH of hubby's skin when he wakes up in the morning -- just for grins.

For the record, "excess sebum" is pretty much whatever you want it to be. When I refer to getting rid of excess sebum, for me, it is oil now trapped in my MMU. For others, it might also include oil in the pores. It certainly has meant that to me in my life, but it doesn't now. Confused And sure, a cleanser can delineate the difference -- in that YOU decide on that when you choose the strength of your cleanser.

Hubby might be sensitive to other ingredients, too. I could use the BEST cleanser for my face, chosen by God, herself -- but if it had menthol in it... God would be, um, yanking my chain. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:04 am      Reply with quote
RMB I didn't think about the fact that the emulsifiers are oil soluable too! So if, and it still is an if in my mind, these cleansing oils do leave a residue then you are right the residue would probably contain emulsifiers. I guess it is uncertain if emulsifiers can cause dryness but your conclusion seems reasonable. In fact there are some that feel that we shouldn't even use moisturizers with surfactants!

As to whether my husband has been removing his surface layer of sebum daily since he uses Zest. I am actually going to have to guess that he is not! He said when he washes his face with soap he does not remove all the oils. He says he knows that this is the case because it takes a double cleansing with the Zest to "strip his skin of all the oil" (his term). He did say that the way his face felt after it dried when he used the cleansing oil is the same way it felt when he over does it with the soap.

Sidda do you feel that any type of OCM is bad for normal/dry skin or just the oil cleansers that contain emulsifiers? It seems to me that some of our members with dry skin tolerate OCM without emulsifiers quite well but I really haven't paid enought attention to this to say for sure.

BTW the pH of the Amore Pacific is 5.5 (thanks Lin!). That is the pH of the oil/water mixture the oil itself does not register a pH. I don't know the pH of Zest and I have no clue how to even test the pH of DH's skin! (I don't even want to imagine the look on his face as I start chasing him with a pH strip!)

I actually don't think that hubby has any thoughts of changing cleansers. We can argue the merits and demerits or soap but it works for him. His skin is healthy and IMO he is not compromising his skin barrier. What more can you ask for?

Skincare I DO agree with what you say about cleansers and that you shouldn't need to use a toner to remove cleanser residue. I don't know about other members but toners just seem like an odd concept to me. I buy them but don't like them and end up never using them.

As for whether removing the surface sebum layer completely is good my tendency is to feel that overstripping the skin (whether it is done with multiple cleansings using gentle cleansers and cleansing oils or done with harsh detergents and soap) is not a good thing. Now I guess that if you are going to overstrip the skin you are probably better off doing it with a gentle cleanser but my personal goal with cleansing is not to remove "all" the oil from my skin. Maybe if my skin weren't so sensitive and I did not live in a super low humidity environment I would see this differently but less cleansing seems to work well for me!

I still have no clue as to what is going on with these oil cleansers.
-Are they leaving a film that is causing the dryness?
-Are they overstripping the skin and removing moisture which results in dryness?
-Or possibly both?

Well maybe we won't settle it unless someone is willing to do a test. DH is not going to do a double cleansing so maybe someone else will step forward and be willing to test this for us! Wink
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |