Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tips from Attny to Protect Against ID Theft
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
I found this useful:
ATTORNEY'S ADVICE - NO CHARGE

Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it someday. Maybe we should all take some of his advice! A corporate Attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company.

1. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED."

2.. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card Accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

3.. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home Phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have It printed, anyone can get it.

4.. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to Call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a Photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a Name, address, Social Security number, credit cards.

Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my Wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(S) ordered an Expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had A credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number From DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

5.. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card Numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

6.. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit Providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an Investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

7.. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations Immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and also call the Social Security fraud line number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over The Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your Credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by Phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the Credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc., has been stolen:

1.) Equifax: 800-525-6285

2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 888-397-3742

3.) Trans Union: 800-6807289

4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line):800-269-0271
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Great info -- thanks Poco!!

Marla

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thank for useful information.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Pocoloco. Having been a victim of identity theft, I heartily thank you for posting your knowledge. I had someone buy a car & cell phone under my name. It was a nightmare to deal with.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a few more:

If you pay bills by check, do not leave those envelopes in your mailbox for the mailman to pick up. Always put bill payment envelopes with checks directly into a metal USPS mail box.

USPS mail theft from home mailboxes, incoming and outgoing, is rampant these days. Get a locking mailbox for your incoming mail.

Shred all junk credit card offers and anything with your name and address on it that's intended to be mailed back, for any offer, no matter how small or seemingly insubstantial ... shred those 'instant credit checks' that usually get included. If they're stolen they may be enough to start someone establishing credit using your name but changing the address to theirs. Don't just put tear them up and them in the trash. Druggies, especially cranksters have been known to be willing to spend HOURS and HOURS (seeing as they're up for days and days) taping stolen mail together, then they scan a copy and they're good as new.

And ... you probably already shred, but are you using the right one? Don't use a shredder that just cuts the page into long strips, get one that cuts a small diamond-pattern into the paper.

I used to enter police reports into the database of my local PD so I know how rampant identity and mail theft is. And how unlike it is that those who steal your identity will ever be caught.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for this invaluable information. I am going into the office tomorrow and copy everything from my purse and my husbands wallet.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Poco. I printed a copy, esp after hearing from a few of you w/in the last month about this kind of fraud Mad
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Great information Poco! I'm assuming the phone numbers are for American citizens though? I did print off the info. and will pass it on to friends! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Chocolat wrote:
Here's a few more:

If you pay bills by check, do not leave those envelopes in your mailbox for the mailman to pick up. Always put bill payment envelopes with checks directly into a metal USPS mail box.

USPS mail theft from home mailboxes, incoming and outgoing, is rampant these days. Get a locking mailbox for your incoming mail.

I agree with this! I live in an apartment complex (now converted to condos) and about a month ago, someone went through with a crow bar and broke into ALL the outgoing mail boxes and stole all the outgoing mail. Luckily I always mail our bills (the ones we don't pay online) from my work. I didn't have to worry about anything being stolen.

It's amazing how everything, online, mailbox...has to be watched now and extra precautions taken Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Jan ... great info.

Here's another tip: do NOT mention your phone number on your answering machine recording (ex. 'Hi, you've reached 555-1234').

Years ago my house was burglarized and my answering machine and blank checks were stolen (among other things).

Luckily, my mom came to stay for a couple of weeks and picked up all my mail. The thieves had ordered a new credit card. My mom picked up an envelope with the account info on a new card that would be sent in a separate envelope.

I called the bank. Having my blank checks and phone number were all that was needed to start another account!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Great advice ,thank you.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, those are really good points too. Thanks for adding to this thread.

I don't know if those credit reporting agencies extend beyond the U.S.. That's a good question! Question
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |