Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
I have had an allergic reaction to skin care - any advice?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I have had an allergic reaction to some skin care and would like some advice on what to do. I used a couple of new things, so I am not sure which product caused my reaction, so I have stopped using everything at the moment. Yesterday morning, my cheeks had a red patch on them and the skin felt hard and hot. This got worse in the evening and at one point they felt like they were on fire. I decided to take two allergy tablets, and today, I am absolutely fine. The redness has gone down and the skin just feels a bit tight. Any advice on after care after the reaction? I was thinking about aloe vera, mild moisturizers or pehaps just leaving the area alone. Thanks for any advice.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:04 am      Reply with quote
I'm sorry that you had a reaction like that. Sad

Whenever my skin acts up or needs extra care, I always turn to emu oil. It's soothing and will aid in the healing process. Good luck! Smile
havana8

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Oh no Smoothskin! I hate it when that happens. Lately, when I have a reaction to something that breaks me out into a rash or excema, I use Dr H's Rejuventating Mask. It does such a great job that I pretty much get instantaneous relief. I notice that it clears the subsequent redness as well.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Hydrocortisone, (even the over the counter strength), applied as directed for a few days really helps. Just do not use it long term, a few days is O.K. though, hths.
Marie1120
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Give your skin time to settle down first.

Do you have any idea what might be the cause? Otherwise just start slowly and try one new thing at a time.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
It is either my new Z Bigatti eye cream or an Environ vitamin A cream, or my Osea moisturizer. Those are the new things I used... My skin is not red anymore, but it still has almost like a lumpy feel to it. I just have not put anything on today. I am very scared about trying these things again...
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Emu oil!
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah Emu oil is a good way to get your skin back on track . Then maybe you can start using your products again but only one at the time. I know it can seem long but that way its easier to find out witch one dosent work for your skin. So start whit your cleanser only for like 2 weeks and then add something else for another 2-3 weeks . Keep on going like that until your routine is all set up. good luck !

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried any Vit A cream before? I wonder if it could be too strong for you.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi smoothskin,

Which osea moisturizer are you using? The advanced protection cream is EXTREMELY active, and if you mix it with other things, it might cause a reaction.
But I've used it for years and love it more than anything!!!! Since it is so active (I always feel it tingling and firming my skin), I never apply it after retinol. I wait at least an hours before applying it over anything else. And then I always mix HA with it as well.
It sounds like your vit a cream may be the culprit... But that it b/c I am a biased osea customer...

Please keep us updated, and let us know what caused your reaction!

also, do a test on the side of your neck or underneath your arm: a patch of osea, a patch of vit a cream, the eye cream, and then the various combinations. That should sort it out quite quickly.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the help, ladies, I am over the worst now. I tried emu oil like you recommended and it really helped to calm my skin instantly. In fact, my lines look smoother too. I have also used the Avene Thermal Water which is nice and cooling.

Avalange, a special thanks to you, because your thoughts are spot on. I applied the vitamin A cream and Osea straight after and to make matters worse; I had just used a glycolic wash before this enthusiastic layering... I think you are right - the Osea moisturizer is active. I am sure I am not allergic to it, I love what it does for my skin. Do you get almost like a circulation boost and a glow straight after application? Is it because of the red algae? I will try to mix it with HA too when I start to introduce the products.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
dear smoothskin,

oh boy, do i ever get a glow! I love the way it makes my skin look and feel--after a couple of minutes very matte and firm, but glowing. i have been using this for years as my night cream, and some of my friends buy it in bulk and use it both day and night! Crazy girls, it's too expensive for that.

I also finds that it plumps up my fine lines, especially if I use HA with it. In fact, I've been experimenting with different night creams lately (I used psf's retinol night cream for a while, which made it useless to use APC over it), and I was reminded of how wonderful this cream is, and I took before/after close-up photos of my eyes before putting APC + HA on and after. Here they are, you can see a difference:

before

after

Of course, the lines are always back at the end of the day, when my skin hasn't freshly molted from retinol...

As for the ingredients that cause this to happen, I've no idea, but I think it is the "DPHP," whatever that is!

I also use avene! I use it to cleanse my skin, removing the cleanser with a cotton pad. I love this new cleansing method!

I am so glad you've gotten back on track!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
blaziamm
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Have a try Avene, it is very suitable for senstive skin.
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:01 am      Reply with quote
leave the area alone that would be the most effective way after the allergy reaction
Embarassed
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting the pictures Avalange, I am so glad that I am not the only one who thinks this APC is a magical moisturizer. Thanks Blaziamm, I think Avene is a good brand, but my whole skin care regime is now paraben free so it does not really fit in, but I love the Thermal Water Spray. Felinehhy, thanks for your advice, I left the area alone and applied nothing for two days. I took Pyriton and my skin is now back on track. Thanks for the sweet concerned face as well, it was terrible when my cheeks were at their worst. I think the reaction is gone now and will go back to my normal routine slowly but surely.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi! I have had several allergic reactions in the past to antibiotics and some skin care products. My general physician told me to take an over the counter antihistamine like Benadryl...I prefer Cholr Trimetone...you can get the gerneric at Wal-Mart or any other drugstore...which is much much cheaper. WalMart's version is Equate Chlortabs....100 tablets for about $3. Really seems to work for me whenever I have an allergic reaction. I hope you're doing better!
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi Bex, I am much better now - I had the reaction Friday/Saturday last week. Thanks for your advice, I will look up this thread if I have a reaction again. I took Pyriton this time, but it makes me so drowsy...
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:29 am      Reply with quote
SmoothSkin, Glad that you're doing better! The ChlorTabs don't make me drowsy. That's why I prefer them over Benadryl, sorry I meant to mention that!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |