Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Homemade Vitamin C question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:37 am      Reply with quote
Hello. Longtime lurker here but first time posting a question.

I want to make the homemade Vitamin C serum recipe. I have this vitamin C powder available and want to know if this is the correct type to use.

Holland & Barrett Naturally Inspired Pure Vitamin C powder. The ingredient is: Vitamin C Powder (as Ascorbic Acid)

Thank you! Smile
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I guess we cannot edit our posts. But what I really want to ask if the L-absorbic acid and ascorbic acid are the same or do you need a special type of vitamin c to make the serum. I did try a search for this particular question but nothing seemed to come up. Thank you.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:36 am      Reply with quote
l-ascorbic acid and d-ascorbic acid are both a componant of ascorbic acid.

The L form is the version that studies have shown to be the most effective for skin treatment as a topical.

Some products are labeled ascorbic acid that are actually the L form only. I donot know the type on the brand you mentioned. You may be able to call or email the company and ask them.

You can by the L form online from a few sources. Also the NOW Foods brand of Vit C powder is the L form, though labeled as ascorbic acid.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much, Tangal!
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:40 am      Reply with quote
If you're still unsure when you go to purchase, ask an SA at the health foods store for pharmaceutical quality.. They should be able to take you right to it, if they know what they're doing... Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kiki. I have to order the stuff online. I live in Switzerland and it's hard getting vitamins like this over the counter.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
I think you're better off ordering online anyway Swissmom! There are a number of sites like personalformulator, gardenofwisdom, and skinactives where you can buy small amounts of the right kind of C and sites like bulkactives for larger amounts. AND, you aren't dependent on some SA who may not really know much about using nutrients as topicals!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi Swissmom - I'd be very careful using vitamins from Holland & Barratt because they're mostly for consumption and the sales staff are totally ignorant (and underpaid) too. I made ALA and C serums out of stuff from H&B several years ago when I was pretty ignorant and I seriously burnt my face. I never saw a purely Ascorbic powder in that shop ever. They all have things added which can be dreadful on your face. Go for the DIY supplies places in the US - it's your best bet.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:52 am      Reply with quote
As Molly says, we're deprived of decent DIY suppliers here in the UK.

One firm I have heard of (but have no experience with myself) is http://www.aromantic.co.uk/

Not sure whether they'd have a suitable version of Vitamin C, though. It may come in useful for ingredients for other products you may wish to make in future, however.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:28 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for all of your replies! Katee, thanks - I will check out those websites.

Molly- OMG! Thank you for sharing your experience! I am in my 40's and my skin looks fine right now, I would hate to damage it! This is why I am so glad I asked this question since I was getting ready to use this vit. c powder!!! Glad I held off and posted.

Majorb, I am an American but have lived in Switzerland for 6 yrs. now. I stock up bigtime when I go back to the U.S. for a visit. I will also check out the website you posted.

Thank you all so much! Smile
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
What part of Switzerland? My sister is also an American living over there Smile. There was a thread recently about how great a lot of the Swiss skin care lines are and I began to wonder if they might be cheaper over there (even though I know a lot of things are less expensive here)? I asked my sister but she sticks with Environ so she didn't really know. I guess I will have to fly over there and find out myself!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sundew. I live just outside of Geneva, the French speaking part of Switzerland. I read all those posts about Swiss skincare but I order alot of my actives and skincare from the States. I also use tretinoin that I get from Mexico. I would love to try some of the Swiss products, I felt like I would be wasting my money. Everything in Switzerland is expensive, food, housing, etc. so I thought the price of the skincare was the same deal (not bc there is anything exceptional about them). After reading some of the favorable posts about them, I may just give it a go someday.
jzainoun
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi Swissmom!
so, are you American, living in Switzerland?
I lived in Zurich (actually Zug) ~10 years ago, for 9 yrs, which was unfortunate in terms of the language, sinve I am francophone (Geneva would have been easier!). But looking back, I have wonderful memories of Switzerland, it really is such a peaceful gorgeous place to live! (it is rather expensive overall-- do they still have Migros? Smile )
-joanne

Swissmom wrote:
Hi Sundew. I live just outside of Geneva, the French speaking part of Switzerland. I read all those posts about Swiss skincare but I order alot of my actives and skincare from the States. I also use tretinoin that I get from Mexico. I would love to try some of the Swiss products, I felt like I would be wasting my money. Everything in Switzerland is expensive, food, housing, etc. so I thought the price of the skincare was the same deal (not bc there is anything exceptional about them). After reading some of the favorable posts about them, I may just give it a go someday.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Joanne! Laughing Just went to Migros today! I like Coop bc I can get the Fage Greek yogurt there. Yum! I have never been to Zurich, but I went to Luzerne last Summer. Beautiful! I don't speak French except for merci (shameful, I know). My kids speak it though, so it is easier for them to get around. Do you miss living in Europe?
jzainoun
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Swissmom wrote:
Do you miss living in Europe?

Yes!!! SO MUCH!
(interesting abt the FAGE yogurt! I was born & raised in greece, prior to moving to CH!)
How old are your kids? were they born in Switzerland?
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:44 am      Reply with quote
My kids are 18 and 15. They were born in the States. They love it here so far. I have never been to Greece. It is on my list of places to see. Maybe this summer.
swissmiss
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi Swissmom

I am another American living in Switzerland, (outside of Geneva and also have a place in Zug) so it is a small world. I am happy to connect with others in Switzerland and Europe as perhaps we can share experiences and finds. I also go to the US several times a year and stock up.

I am currently looking at buying the Nuface, but have looked all over switzerland and France and it is not for sale. I can order it from UK, but they charge in pounds the price I can order it from the US. (and pound is 2times the US$)

I haven't bought too much skin care in switzerland, but there is a store in Balexaert Mall that has a number of the high end lines as well as Sephora in Thoiry France that carries a number of the lines. (but not the same ones as you can find in Sephora US)

I have used Forever Laser Institute in Geneva for Skincare treatments and for Laser (for some scars) Dr. Polla is good and his wife is also American.

For Botox I use Dr. Grimatre in Nyon, as he charges 350Chf, and it is the best and longest lasting Botox treatments I have ever had (and I have had treatments all over the US (which I used to get when I traveled there for various reasons) After finding him I get it done here as it is cheaper and longer lasting than in the US. He has excellent technique for Botox.

Maybe we should make a post for Swiss or Europe people to share local findings?

For the US people, I just spent a month in the US, and the cost of food in US is MORE expensive than in Switzerland. The price of a number of things in US is now more expensive so I do not believe the inflation numbers. On the other hand you would not believe the cost of US books in Switzerland it is ridiculous!
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Swissmiss! Love the name! Very Happy You mentioned Balexaert, wow, we must live around the same area! I have not used botox yet but it's great to have that info. for the not so distant future. I do buy some actives like vitamin C and copper peptides from a website in the States and she only charges $6 for shipping. Feel free to pm me as I don't think we are allowed to post the sites of non-eds vendors here.

Books! Yikes! Yes, they are a bunch of money. I should own stock in Payot! The American library in Geneva holds a 2x per year booksale that is very good. You can stock up on all different kinds of books and it's very inexpensive.

I do exercise videos at home. Love it! I get all mine from America.

It's so nice to meet you! I feel like I am chatting with a neighbor. Smile
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Forgot to mention that I have not seen the NuFace around here either. I think it takes a long time for thing like that to finally reach Switzerland. I do have the Connie Stevens time machine (I got it from Ebay). I just use Aloe Vera with it as a conductor.
swissmiss
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:41 am      Reply with quote
I could not find the Nuface locally so I ordered it in the USA from Caliderma.
There Skin store, also is running a 20% off promotion according to another poster. I will let you know how it works after it arrives.

cheers
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |