Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Anyone work from home and have customers over to your house?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Okay, I know that ? probably sounds random, but it has to do with the idea of becoming a canine water therapist, thanks to many EDS member's help! In order to start this business, I obviously need a place with a heated pool. The least upfront investment would be to purchase a new home with such (since I'm ready to move anyway). However, being a single female it also terrifies me to think about strangers coming over to my home all of the time. But then again, I don't know that I'd really feel much safer if I was in a office setting running this by myself either.

So back to my question. Does anyone here work from home and allow customers to come over? Or do you work in another setting where you meet with customers in secluded places (real estate?). If so, how have you dealt with this safety/privacy issue?

I really feel this may be my calling so any advice you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
We have a real estate inspection business and have for 20 years. My hubby is the inspector and I run his office out of our home. He goes on site to do the inspections, but every once in a while we used to have an agent come by and pick up our report, but not so much in this age of email and fax.
We also have a log cabin which we used to rent out as a bed and breakfast (we live in the hill country on a ranchette). Now we just have family and friends stay in it and we no longer rent it out, but there was a time it was rented out most of the spring and summer during the week and every weekend. That did get a little strange having different people coming and going on our property and I never really liked that as I am a VERY private person. We just let it be extra income for my son who was in junior high and high school or any of his friends that wanted to earn extra money by cleaning it.
But someone staying there would occasionally want to see our house (right next door) because of the western/eclectic decor and hill country style. We also have a seperate detached gameroom (very tiki-kitsch) that guests were allowed to use. So on a Sat. or Sunday morning in the middle of breakfast or reading the paper you might have someone knock on their way back home wanting a peek inside.
I am glad to not being doing that anymore. To have people come to your home at anytime takes always being prepared: clean house, being dressed, showered, teenagers awake before noon, etc. Now in your case you might could just have them enter your backyard and not come into your house at all.
I wish you luck in your enterprise and hope you enjoy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks AnnieR! I was thinking the same thing, have them enter the back yard. I just don't like the fact that people will know where I live and all. I've seen too many lifetime movies where bad things happen to single women. There are lots of people that do this across the country and they seem fine with it. I'm just not sure if this will be the deal breaker for me. It's so sad because it would truly be a dream job for me to get to help dogs all day long. And yes, I'm still sure I don't want to be a vet!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
I imagine it is strange having people know where you live when you are single. I am home alone all day so it does feel weird. Especially if someone just drives up my drive to "look around" when there are 5 "Do not enter" signs along the mile drive. I come unglued at that, you don't come to my house w/o calling first. Not even my son at college, who though no longer lives here and has a house of his own, will not just pop in. He knows how I am, although I still consider it his home too. I do have an alarm system and a handgun that I am very proficiant at using.
Now when we lived in town there were always neighbors around, so I kept the doors locked but felt safer for that knowledge.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
This women I used to see on regular basis for waxing had her business at home. She had a seperate entrence for customers and the waling distance to her business room is very close so that the customers are not walking too deep into her home. You may want to look for that when you go house shopping.
As for myself, I don't get customers coming to my home that much. In fact, all I get is couriers or company courier coming over to pick up the work I have done for them. So, they never step inside my home.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
I'm also a single live-alone Tamgirl, luckily I don't have people coming to my house, but I can fully understand your concerns, especially in this day and age Shock
I would suggest you leave evidence of a male living in the house, in places where it can be seen. For example, make a pair of large workboots, or a man's shirt, fishing poles etc. clearly visible. Another thing you might consider is one of those travel alarms. I wore one when I travelled alone in S. America which gave me a sense of security. They emit a loud signal - enough to scare anyone off Very Happy
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tamgirl, I don't remember if you ever said if you had any dogs yourself, but if you don't--have you ever thought about getting a German Shepherd? A well-trained GSD is an awesome guard dog as well as a wonderful pet. Just a thought Smile
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone!

Jala - Oh yes I have a wonderful guard dog. She attacks by swarming people with kisses. Laughing She's my 4-year old black lab but she is good at making scaring bark noises when I tell her too. I do this when someone comes to sell something at my house. I don't open my door for anyone I don't know and I want them to know I have a monster dog inside (yeah, right).

Anya - It's glad to have someone else who can relate! I always keep my doors/windows locked and refuse to own a home without a security system. However, we've recently had a couple of instances in the Dallas area, where women would come home during the day after running errands and as they were shutting their garage a man jumped in and attacked them! Shock They were saying this would be easy to do since no one is paying attention when they are just getting home and unloading things especially during broad daylight. I, on the other hand, always check my mirrors when I pull into my garage but on a Saturday afternoon it can be easy to forget to do.

Well, I have a lot to look into and truly appreciate all of your input. I can't wait to attend this training but unfortunately the next session isn't until June! Confused
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:30 am      Reply with quote
OK, maybe not very helpful, but years ago when I had a bit of a stalking problem here in Tokyo (never did find out who it was) I ended up doing the following:

1. adding a male name to my letter box
2. buying some blokes boxers and hanging them on my clothes line.

my problem did go away, so I like to think that the masculine touches around the place helped.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
This is very useful. I am thinking about setting up a home business and having customers over. I guess there are pros and cons. It's convenient to work from home but I am also a very private person so to open up my home to customers is going to be new to me.
havana8

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tamgirl, I work from home and do not meet clients here for the same concerns you stated. Instead, I meet them at coffee shops, restaurants, their office and the like. On the other hand, I do use my mailbox as a drop-off/pick-up point for couriers etc. and I do have my street address on invoices.

I also agree with AnnieR that it can be stressful even entertaining the thought of using your home as a meeting place factoring in worries about pets, beverages, making sure the place is spic and span, etc. Someone ALWAYS wants to use the bathroom and the last thing you want your client to see is your 36H bra air-drying while they poke through your bathroom cupboard or makeup drawer! Laughing
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
tiger_tim,

You are so bright.haha.......
Laughing Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |