Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

how to get samples at local counters?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
itisme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
I really had lots of bad experiences. Most time, even I bought lots of stuff and ask "do you have any samples for me to try", the answer would be "no", or "sorry we don't have any samples now" --- could it be possible? I heard these kind of answers most often at Clinique counters, wherever. Now I even hate to shop clinique, Mad Others, though it is only one or two, I could get some anyhow.

I always see girls show lots of samples from the local counters. How did you do this? Help... I only like to buy things after I try the samples!!
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
I dont know where you located but here in Toronto usually they are very generous. My experience with Sisley is especially good, because it is an expensive line, I dont want to waste my money without trying them out first. they understand it and usually they gave me all the samples that I am interested.
If you can't get samples from local counters, go to Sephora, they will definitely give you samples you want!
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
itisme wrote:
I really had lots of bad experiences. Most time, even I bought lots of stuff and ask "do you have any samples for me to try", the answer would be "no", or "sorry we don't have any samples now" --- could it be possible? I heard these kind of answers most often at Clinique counters, wherever. Now I even hate to shop clinique, Mad Others, though it is only one or two, I could get some anyhow.

I always see girls show lots of samples from the local counters. How did you do this? Help... I only like to buy things after I try the samples!!

OH I LOVE THIS. Tee hee! Beat 'em at their own game!!! Bad Grin

So this is what I do. I don't ask for samples. I sit and try some things on my hand, SA comes over...can I help you? I say, "well, I'm looking for __________ but I'm really not sure which one."
I'll let them help me a bit, and then I'll look very torn. I pick my favorites that I've tried and then I lay it on 'em "Weeeeellll, I don't know. I'm very prone to breakouts [insert "skin issue" of choice here] and I'm hesitant to buy a full size." Or if it's color "I'm not sure I could pull this color off"
Just whatever you need to do to make you come off as "I don't know now, but if I had some to try out, I might be sueded!"

That's how I score Chanel and MAC samples. I'm very indecisive anyway, so it's not hard. Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
It was a great idea Laughing
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Sephora stores are great with the samples. I've never been denied when I asked for something....I usually try to "make nice" with just one SA, then tell them what I am looking for. And I always ask for samples of the GO Smile, once I walked out with 7 ampoules of the stuff!!!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
I just ask - can I try *insert product name here*. I usually know what I want and when I don't, I tell them I'm looking for something to help with *skin issue here*. They recommend a product then I ask if they have a sample for me to try - if they do they'll give it to you so I believe them most of the time when they say they don't. I've never had a problem with getting samples unless the counters are really all out of them.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
It all depends on which SA. Most of them are very helpful and generous.

I know some of them just give samples to the customers/friends they are familiar. They are really un-professional.
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of it depends on the line. Clarins for example is very generous with samples. Clarins also offers a free (basic but nice) facial in a back private room and then gives you a few samples to try.

Avene and LRP has samples available.

I find certain SDM better than others and make a point of going to where the SA are generous.

I don't think I have EVER received a Clinique sample. It must be the line.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Sears occasionally send me a note to get samples at the cosmetics counters like Clinique, Clarins, Biotherm etc.
Essentia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
That's how I score Chanel and MAC samples. I'm very indecisive anyway, so it's not hard. Bad Grin

Chanel samples?! Shock

I am so not worthy ....

Hmmm ... I've been wanting to try MAC's fluide gel liner ... {heh heh}

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Essentia wrote:
ParisTroika wrote:

Chanel samples?! Shock

I am so not worthy ....

Hmmm ... I've been wanting to try MAC's fluide gel liner ... {heh heh}

I actually DID score a MAC Fluid Line gel liner...fabulous. Got enough for about 5-6 days.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:15 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
I actually DID score a MAC Fluid Line gel liner...fabulous. Got enough for about 5-6 days.

*Plonk* <== Sound of Essentia's jaw hitting ground.

Wow, woman. You are my hero!

Okay, I'm determine to walk out of Nordstrom, or (god help me) Saks -- if I have to -- this afternoon with some 'spensive potion or make up samples clutched in my hot little fists ... Stay tuned.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have much luck getting samples at the cosmetic counters that I don't even bother to try anymore. Only Sephora and MAC are good at giving out samples.

SDM only gave 2 samples if I buy some prestige cosmetics or skincare products.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
I do the browsing thing & trying stuff on hands. Then when asked say I am looking to change the line I am using & normally manage to come away with goodies. I do find Clarins tops for samples. Clinique are tight.

Before Natalie went away we wanted to get loads of samples for her to take because at least she could chuck away the empties. I had everyone I know gathering cleansers & other stuff.

Once you pluck up the courage it's great fun to see how much you can score.

5% products discount

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
LOL, Clinique samples! They must save all their samples for those "gifts with purchase." I constantly read or hear about them. Clinique's the first department store brand I've purchased. I was suckered into one of those gift packages with the little flowery pouches when I was 14 or so. Man, they run out of tester bottles at the counters pretty fast, too. Razz
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
MAC is really generous with their samples- At christmas time they threw in about 5 different pigment (eye color) samples with my purchase. Just the other day i got 2 samples- strobe cream and moisture tint (enough to last about 6-7 applications).

Clinique sucks at being generous, if I want a sample from there I go walk up to the SA like I know exactly what I want and say "I was here a few weeks ago and wanted a sample of X, and the SA working at that time said that you would be getting it in this week, do you have it in now?--works every time!
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
I was here a few weeks ago and wanted a sample of X, and the SA working at that time said that you would be getting it in this week, do you have it in now?--works every time!

Oooh! That's good! <*takes notes*>

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
MAC is really generous with their samples- At christmas time they threw in about 5 different pigment (eye color) samples with my purchase. Just the other day i got 2 samples- strobe cream and moisture tint (enough to last about 6-7 applications).

Clinique sucks at being generous, if I want a sample from there I go walk up to the SA like I know exactly what I want and say "I was here a few weeks ago and wanted a sample of X, and the SA working at that time said that you would be getting it in this week, do you have it in now?--works every time!

wow, I should head to MAC now.
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Personally, I'm more prone to fork out samples if I think the customer is going to try the sample and come back to buy the product. Great example is to be friendly to me, while looking pensively at an expensive item and go into the whole "I'm interested in this, but I'm not entirely sure if my skin would be ok with it... do you have a tester or a sample that I could take with me?" Presto! Insta-sample!

If you don't want something specific, but a handful of whatever gobs of stuff I have behind my counter a good one is telling me that you are hell-bent on getting a new job/boyfriend whatever, and you wanna try out some new colors, but don't have time for a makeover. OoOoOh! Try these! Very Happy

The good old airport-lost-my-luggage or stranded-in-town-without-my-makeup ones work on me every single time and I find myself giving the woman a complete routine, from skincare to makeup to hold her over for a few days.

I hate when people come up to my counter with one or no items, or I know they'll be checking their purchases with another employee (ugh!), and pop out "Do you have any samples?" No. I don't.

Basically you have to make it sound like you're not in here JUST to get samples off of me, and you'll get them.

Lol, and no, I am not talking about what counter I work.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |