Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

RAVE: Julie Hewitt Beauty: camellia oil lipstcks+more!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

I've been meaning to introduce you all to Julie Hewitt's cosmetic line for a LONG time now, so since I'm procrastinating, why not now? Laughing

I've only used a few of her products, since she sent most of them to makeup artists where I worked over the summer, but I can give an overwhelming WOW to each and every one of them.

Mind you, I've received so much gratis product in my lifetime, I almost never buy anything, I just keep it all stored up. I've been spoiled with Chanel, Dior, estee lauder, stila, lorac, laura mercier, benefit, tarte, JI, you name it. And when Julie Hewitt sent her products to us, we all couldn't believe our eyes (and faces when we tried it on). Our top make-up artist declared it the most high-quality eyeliners and lipsticks she's encountered yet. And Julie Hewitt is a struggling makeup artist attempting to brand herself (and competition for this particular makeup artist, which lends even more credence to her claim), so I certainly hope you all look at her site and try some of her products soon--she deserves the business, and you deserve to know about her!

Anyways, here goes.

Lipsticks: All are in a base of camellia oil, known for its skin-oil mimicking qualities (most people use either emu oil or camellia) and rose oil, so they are all extremely moisturizing. There are a few different ranges:
The "reds" are a collection of extremely wearable, satiny, plumping reds that emerge from gorgeous gold metal packaging. I am currently obsessed with a brick red called "coco noir"--it is matte but not at all drying! Brick red is extremely flattering on the skin (peachy and olivey tones), might I add. She has a red for every skin tone, by the way, and all of her reds are double-pigmented, which means you can just blot them against the lips and create the desired intensity, which is key with red lipsticks.
The next range is "bijou collection." These, I believe, are super-emollient, orange blossom-scented, almost glossy, on the sheer side. I own a neutral color named "kiki," which is gorgeous, just adding a pinky-mauve (but in no way muddy) tint to the lips. It makes them look just 'kissable.' this is the only lipstick I keep with me at all times.

Next, Hue Pots: These are highly pigmented, emollient grease pots for the eyes. I have and consistently use the "newsprint bleu" which is a navy blue eye color. I love it because I can use it as eyeliner (it stays on all day), and since it is an earth tone, it is less dramatic than black for daytime. But the most remarkable aspect of this product is that you can dip your finger into it and the consistency, to the touch, is so sheer, that it literally makes the most foolproof smoky eye ever. A smidgen of this under the outer corners of the eye gives a sexy allure, and again, not too over the top. This is a versatile, top-quality product that can be experimented with. They seem greasy in the pot, but dry to a nice finish almost immediately.

She also makes a white hue pot which I am very eager to try as a highlighter for my lower lash line and browbone. And speaking of lower lash lines ...

Eye Liners: Julie's eyeliners are so pigmented and chock full of emollients, they have an amazing slip that miraculously tends not to be greasy. I personally love "omit," a flesh-toned liner, which I use to line the lash line in order to open up my eyes. What I love about it is that it glides on and deposits color without dragging, and stays on all day.

Cheekies: These are like hue pots, but for cheeks. They have an extremely sheer, cream-to powder consistency, and the colors are just to die for. The "natural" is wonderful in place of a bronzer, since it has no shimmer.

Shimmies: these are the shimmers/highlighters. I'm not too crazy about any product with shimmer in the first place, so I'll leave it to others to comment. I've tested the gold shimmer, and the color is very nice, because it is not just gold, but has a marigold tone with a shimmer--something that can be used either as a summery highlighter or as a more dramatic statement across the entire lid.

Mascara, rosewater, and lipliners: I have not tried, but I look forward to your reviews on this forum! the mascara is apparently scented with rosewater and comes in brown, which sounds nice. Each red lipstick has a matching lipliner, which I assume is the same excellent consistency as the eyeliners.

Ora mineral powders: I have not tried, but they sound amazing--they provide full spectrum UV coverage (Titanium dioxide, Zinc oxide, micronized zinc, freeze-dried vits a, e, and d, and plants extracts and oils. On her website, it says that they have taken the most advanced research and created a superior formula without talc or dyes, that doubles as a natural sunscreen. I'll leave it to the ss experts to debate it, but right now I'm entertaining the fantasy of buying a euro sunscreen and putting her translucent powder over the top.

Lastly: camellia oil lip balm with oils of rose, camellia and orange. Unfortunately, I've not tried this, but I've heard it is amazing. And how could it not be? All of Julie Hewitt's cosmetics have camellia oil in them and are free of mineral oils.

Please let me know if you try this line and let me know what you think. I cannot see how anyone wouldn't just adore it; her formulations are just fantastic! the price point is quite high, but a little goes a long way. I believe it is onyl available on her websitewww.juliehewitt.net.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
stellamaris
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Avalange, I was eyeing the cheekie in natural as a less expensive possibility to replace my HG Sisley Sun Glow gel bronzer. Have you tried both? If so, how does the cheekie compare to Sisley?
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
dear stellamaris,

i don't think natural cheekie is a bronzer per se; but here is what i use it for: I rub it into the apples of my cheeks, and then put a dab of pink/coral right at the center, under my eyes, to appear 'flushed.' i also use it right where my eyelid meets my browbone, to give that area a bit of definition. it is a very nice base blush and contouring color, but it is not of a gel consistency at all, so i don't think it would replace bronzing gel... it's more to go on top of bronzing elements, so your skin doesn't look one-dimensional. it does not make the skin look dirty at all, however. I hope that helps!

--avalange

p.s. as for bronzing gels, i haven't found one that i would wear daily, but becca's bronzing gel (as well as their entire cosmetic line) is very impressive. just stay far away from stila's!

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Ohhh thanks, Avalange!! This line looks beautiful!! I must check it out.
stellamaris
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Avalange, I will try some goodies from this line but not plan on replacing my Sisley bronzer just yet. The reds look yummy and so do all the cheekies Very Happy
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:09 am      Reply with quote
I know!

I am going to order the mascara, since as much as I love Diorlash, I don't think it's that great for my lashes (new EDS obsession!) and the ora mineral translucent powder, and the white hue pot, and the lip balm! wheeww!

I'll let you guys know how I like these products...

--l.

catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:05 am      Reply with quote
mmmm, the red lippies are calling to me...

look like beautiful products, thanks for the heads up avalange.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Avalange! Now I want to buy all of these and I am SO out of money. Rolling Eyes Laughing
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:28 am      Reply with quote
My goodness, so many tempting goodies!! Avalange, do you still have the packaging for any of your products? Because of allergies etc it would be nice to know some of the ingredients before I buy, esp the lip products etc. TIA!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I posted this on Olivia's thread but thought I'd better post it here as well. This is to help you pick with of these reds would work well for your skintone:

http://www.girlynation.com/beauty_redlipshade.html
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
My goodness, so many tempting goodies!! Avalange, do you still have the packaging for any of your products? Because of allergies etc it would be nice to know some of the ingredients before I buy, esp the lip products etc. TIA!

Hi, I don't. I seem to remember that they were much better (i.e. more natural) than other more commercial products. But it was an opening frenzy in the office and I benefited only slightly. I am going to order soon and I'll let you know... Also, I'm sure customer service will give you a list of any product. Just for fun, here's me wearing my fave JH red, "coco noir". It's a horrible photo, but dontchya love the color???

--avalange

Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Oh lovely colours!

Does she ship to the Uk - anyone know how much it costs if she does? (Can't see it on the website).

Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I DO love the colour. Plus..

Avalange = slinkyglamourpuss. FACT!
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE that color!!! I'm totally adding that to my order...the list is growing. I'm SOOOOO happy you introduced me to this line....cant wait to try them.
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
Those are beautiful colors. Question. I went to the GirlyNation site and I totally do not fit those color breakdowns. I've never understood the cool warm thing. I'm a blue eyed brunette and my foundations are usually beige or gold named. How do you recommend finding the color right for you? TIA.

kimberly
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
BluesHeart wrote:
Those are beautiful colors. Question. I went to the GirlyNation site and I totally do not fit those color breakdowns. I've never understood the cool warm thing. I'm a blue eyed brunette and my foundations are usually beige or gold named. How do you recommend finding the color right for you? TIA.

kimberly

Kimberly, I'm a blue-eyed brunette too and I've never gotten the whole warm-cool thing--- personally, I think I'm neither!! Laughing In my experience peacy or coral colors make my eyes seem the bluest, so maybe those colors would work for you now? Right now I'm loving Avon's Glazewear in Peach Fizz and Sugar's Sugarslicks in Meow--- I think they would look good on you too! I'm also in the process of investingating Alima's lip colors, so I'll let you know how it goes.^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
kimberly and manslayerliz (love that moniker, btw):

you are both lucky because you can pretty much wear any red... winey reds probably look excellent on you, as well as coral reds. with my skin tone and eye color, it is a different story! I am so glad I found the coco noir lipcolor--I LOVE wearing red lipstick, and I used to dye my hair very dark brown and really true reds looked great, but not so much with my new 'caramel' 'do. julie hewett also has a guide to choosing which red is right for you on her site.
Let's all wear red lipstick!

--avalange

skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for calling attention to this avalange, it looks beautiful. however, julie's website doesn't seem to be working at the moment. does anyone else have problems loading the site or is it just me?

tamgirl--her lipstick colors on the page look so beautiful, i am totally eyeing "rosy cheeks in the snow" and "sheer cherry red."

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks ladies. I don't know why it is but my brain receptors freeze and my eyes glaze over when the words "cool and warm" come into play.I was looking at the mmu sites and I don't fit anything there either. Corals don't work for me and you'd think they would. And I'm definitely not olive toned. *sigh* I love Julie's site. I'd love to know if anyone tries her foundations.

kimberly
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
i got the site to work through girl nation, apparently we need to type "http://" for the site to work, so here it is:

http://www.juliehewett.net/

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
ayayayay!

Name Description Qty Rate Line total
HC - LS Hue Colours Creme shadow/liner,Lillies-In-the-Snow 1 16.00 16.00
MAS-BRN Rose-scented Mascara - Brun/Brown 1 20.00 20.00
ORA-TR Ora Mineral Mix - Translucent 1 34.00 34.00
CAM Camellia Lip Balm 1 14.00 14.00
CHK-PC Cheekie-'peachie' cheek & lip shine 1 24.00 24.00
CE Celeste Lipstick 1 20.00 20.00
LocalPickup LocalPickup Local Pickup 1 0.00
Subtotal 128.00
Tax 0.00
Total 128.00

what did I just do? Confused

--avalange

TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
lmao avalange! Your list looks like the one I want! Laughing

I wish we could just combine this and Olivia's thread because I just posted there about what red would work for me as well. I'm really weird when it comes to colors. When I matched myself to Alima's foundations, I was neutral. I have very fair skin with pink in my cheeks, yellow around the eyes and jaw line and I have medium brown hair with light brown highlights and brown/green eyes. So different parts of me point to different "tones" and it drives me crazy!

I really liked the way Prescriptives designed their color guide since everything they put on me in my "tone" came out very nice. Unfortunately they are the only ones using this system so I find it difficult to match other products just labelled as "warm", "cool", and "neutral". And to make it worse, I've found many lippies in all 3 categories that look good on me. So I guess I don't fit into any category and am destined to go broke trying to find the ultimate lippie and blush. Rolling Eyes
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tamgirl99,

can you post a pic? From what you just described, it seems like coco noir or rouge noir would be best...

--avalange

ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Being a lip balm junkie...this balm is DEFINITELY going on my list of stuff to buy.

I can't figure out how much shipping is (I always check).
Am I missing it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Here you go avalange! My guess was the sin noir, since the cooler lippies tend to look better on me. I usually wear a berry color but I'm definitely ready to mix it up! I hope this pic is big enough for you to tell. Sorry my head is tilted.

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |