Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Lash Extensions review
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
koolade
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
After just recently removing my lash extensions I wanted to share my experience on the subject. This is just my opinion and I’m not claiming to be an expert in any way.

I've had two different type of extensions done professionally on several occasions and I've also tried an at home kit for maintenance.

- individual lash extensions (both fine and thick), and
- flares of 3-5 strands knotted together.

Of the two types, the individuals are more comfortable and more natural appearing. Basically they are just a lash on a lash and fall out as your lashes fall out. They weigh more than your natural lashes so they do add some stress to the lash, and the glue can't be good for your lash, but overall, they aren't too bad too bad.

I like the thinner ones best, as they are just a little thicker than my natural lashes and when I get each lash done (can be more than 40 lashes per eye) I have full and thick lashes. With the thicker lashes, my lashes stand out more, but not as many lashes can be applied, so my lashes look a little thinner than the thin lashes. Ideally a combo of both is preferred, so sometimes I would have my refills done by different technicians.

The flares, however, are not as comfortable and are far more awkward than the individuals in terms of avoiding damage to them and your lashes. The flares are attached not only to your lashes, but also to each other and that results in a very stiff "doll-like" lash. Even combining flares at the ends and individuals at the front of the eyes is still very stiff and can take a lot of time to get used to. What's worse is that because of the tightness of the lashes to each other, they tend to yank out your natural lashes!

One thing to note, regardless of the types of lash extensions you get, they do take a little while to get used to and the following is a list of some of the things you can't really do with them

- rub your eyes, which is probably bad anyway
- use any oil-based product near them as the glue will break-down
- really clean off your eye make-up...cotton gets caught in the extensions and it's not really comfortable to move your lashes too much
- sleep on your face (probably another no-no anyway)
- wear a sleeping mask
- you shouldn't wear mascara (which you don't need)

...and there are probably some others too.

So if you're going to get extensions, make sure you get a TRAINED technician and ask to see some pics of her clients. I would recommend however that you not get extensions. They thin out your existing lashes (just like fake nails and fake hair - it's all the same), and instead try some of these products that will improve your existing lashes so you won't need extensions:

- Jan Marini Age Intervention Eyelash (out of stock till sometime in the next millennium)

- Ardell Lash Growth Accelerator

- Ecrinal eyelash enhancer

and while you’re waiting for your yummy lashes, use the following mascara that will nourish your lashes and not damage them

- Dr. Hauschka's Mascara Intermezzo

I’m sure there are other products and solutions, so if you know of any, let us all know!
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm..Thanks for the review. I have never done lash extension before and had been considering getting it done.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Great review koolade! I've never thought too much about lash extensions, but they sound a little too high maintenance for me. Laughing
I think I would try the lash growth serums before doing this. I prefer maintenance-free beauty regiments, slap it on and leave it! Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Great job, Koolade. I was just thinking to post a similar review, too, because I felt I wasted so much time and money on the lash extensions, and after only two refills, the technician could not do another refill since I had not enough lashes. I looked ridiculous with some lashes from the extensions really long, and some so short, and thin with some bald spots. I am using RevitaLash now, and I think it might be making them growing really fast. Not sure yet. It's been less than a week, and before that I bought ginseng lash serum from an ebay seller who shipped to me from Singapore. She said it was made in Korea. That ginseng serum helped to grow back my lashes to a reasonable length, and my lashes are fuller now. But it always caused me to wake up with tons of eye discharge.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Great review. I have worn home applyed lash flares quite a bit, and your comments are simular to my feelings also. Smile

MSM suppliments helped my lashs alot in overall length, I saw results in 6 weeks. (4000 mcg daily)

The Ardell helped a little also in length and thickness. (added on later)

I am currently Now trying the RevitaLash, which was one you missed in your great review.

Also have JM on order.

I have also used Copper Peptides, and Folligen for lash growth. Did not do much for me there. (though still love copper for skin use)
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Excellent review! I recently watched a tech apply lash extensions to a call with big, beautiful eyes. The results were fabulous looking, but she looked very good to start with. I've read that lash extensions generally thin out your natural lashes and as I was watching this process, I kept thinking to myself that the gal would have been so much better off using a growth and thickness enhancing product and a good mascara.

I don't wear much make-up, and I'd never consider lash extensions in any case. I think they'd drive me crazy (ahem....ok.....craziER).
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
I did eyelash extensions for a year. I have to say I loved them as the techs at Jinnylash were superb. It was great not to have to worry about panda eyes from straying mascara.

I stopped and will not do them again as they were too high maintenance (lasted about 2 months max at £80 per session) and if one got into your eye it was hell to pay. I also had to be so careful washing my face as they lasted longer if not soaked in water for too long. My natural lashes did get a bit shorter but nothing major. I used the JM for two weeks before I had reactions and now using castor oil on my lashes and they are as long as when I had extensions.

I agree it is best to condition and try lash serums. Next challenge: lash tinting!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I too would cringe when a lash twisted and stabbed me in the eye!

But yes, it was nice always have great lashes...no need for make-up!

When mine "molted" I found myself panicking to get a refill appointment. I actually had a few places that I would frequent. This last time I was on vacation in another continent when I lost a lot of lashes, and I had no idea where to go to get a fix...it was horrible, I felt like a vanity junkie
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
I DO tint my eyelashes. The tinting makes them look very thick and glossy and is suprisingly easy to do!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's more expensive in the US, or at least in California. I paid $150 the first time (that was before I realized I was actually broke). Then I had to pay $50 for each refill thereafter. You're supposed to go back for a refill every 2 weeks. So I guess it's cheaper to buy Jan Marini Age Intervention Eyelash, or in my case, the RevitaLash. Gosh I really do hope it will work on my lashes. What I hated the most about lash extensions was how it ruined my natural lashes which weren't much to begin with. Also it was really time consuming, almost 3 hours the first time, and 1.5 hours for refill.

Blacklace wrote:
I did eyelash extensions for a year. I have to say I loved them as the techs at Jinnylash were superb. It was great not to have to worry about panda eyes from straying mascara.

I stopped and will not do them again as they were too high maintenance (lasted about 2 months max at £80 per session) and if one got into your eye it was hell to pay. I also had to be so careful washing my face as they lasted longer if not soaked in water for too long. My natural lashes did get a bit shorter but nothing major. I used the JM for two weeks before I had reactions and now using castor oil on my lashes and they are as long as when I had extensions.

I agree it is best to condition and try lash serums. Next challenge: lash tinting!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:25 am      Reply with quote
Blacklace, do you just use castor oil and nothing else, and it made your lashes grow long like when you had the extensions? Please tell me more. Where did you buy the castor oil? Does it help to thicken your lashes? How much do you put on? Right on the roots? Maybe you should write a review! Can you tell me how long your lashes before and after using the castor oil?
jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your post! Seems should be very careful to take care, especially during shower.
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse,

I use a combo of things. I use cold pressed castor oil in the evenings on an old mascara wand and then emu oil. I used to use emu on my face but then got facial hair so I thought what the heck dab the remaining stuff on my lashes. Every four weeks I use a small amount of JM on the lashline (and on a bald spot on my eyebrow which is filling in fine).

I am tempted to try the Revitalash. In the UK I cannot find Ardell/Talika etc.

If you can take the JM without reactions (and can find a tube without mortgaging your house) it is the best thing.

With this nuts combo of stuff my lashes are three times the length as before and thankfully curls naturally up. Honestly better than extensions. I am lemming a Sheishedo mascara to replace DiorShow (hell to take off and takes off my preciously cultivated lashes) but lash tinting as Katee says should make yours look even better even if you do nothing else.

A girl can never have too much lingerie or too long eyelashes!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
The last of my eyelash extensions has fallen off. I was going through JM withdrawals & I wanted to look extra special for the holidays. So, I thought what's hotter than long lushes lashes? They looked AMAZING & absolutely adored the effect, but they are too high maintenance for me. I received my Revitalash, but hadn't tried it out yet b/c I wanted to wait for the extensions to fall off. The technician said I wouldn't lose any of my natural lashes, but I did lose I few. I've heard of new lash extension called 3d that are suppose to last 2-3 months. Has anyone tried these? http://www.3d-beauty.com/.
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Leidon,

I know they look fab but everytime the technician adds a lash they minutely glue it to your real lash. It is likely that over time you will lose a real lash everytime a fake one drops off esp as the fake one is heavier. I saw people who had been doing the extensions for years and they had lots of bald spots or no lashes at all. As much as I liked the instant gratification of the extensions I would never recommend them to anyone again. Maybe do them as you did for a special occasion but don't make them a part of your beauty upkeep. HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Koolade- What a great review. I've often toyed with getting lash extensions. I guess if I feel the urge again, I'll just get JM or Rivitalash. I really appreciate the time you took to write out your experiences.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote
leidon wrote:
The last of my eyelash extensions has fallen off. I was going through JM withdrawals & I wanted to look extra special for the holidays. So, I thought what's hotter than long lushes lashes? They looked AMAZING & absolutely adored the effect, but they are too high maintenance for me. I received my Revitalash, but hadn't tried it out yet b/c I wanted to wait for the extensions to fall off. The technician said I wouldn't lose any of my natural lashes, but I did lose I few. I've heard of new lash extension called 3d that are suppose to last 2-3 months. Has anyone tried these? http://www.3d-beauty.com/.

in my experience they all "say" 2 months, but that's really not entirely true. you need to get refills a few weeks after the application, generally.

but "new" technology in extensions is always interesting to me. i too loved the look of the extensions when they were freshly applied.
koolade
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Blacklace wrote:
Hi Leidon,

I know they look fab but everytime the technician adds a lash they minutely glue it to your real lash. It is likely that over time you will lose a real lash everytime a fake one drops off esp as the fake one is heavier. I saw people who had been doing the extensions for years and they had lots of bald spots or no lashes at all. As much as I liked the instant gratification of the extensions I would never recommend them to anyone again. Maybe do them as you did for a special occasion but don't make them a part of your beauty upkeep. HTH

i agree completely
leidon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Very true re. the instant gratification lash extensions give. However, it did do a number on my lashes. Although the tech said that I shouldn't lose any of my real lashes, I definitely did. They are glued to each individual lash, so realistically, how could your natural ones not fall out w/the extension. I feel like I'm starting all over with the lash growth. I just started the Revitalash a few days ago, so hopefully I will once again have lush lashes. It's just that after seeing my lashes grow to unbefore seen lengths w/JM, I got a bit gluttonous & wanted even MORE lashes. I absolutely LOVED the look of the extensions, but will definitely reserve them for EXTRA special occasions. Next time I think I'll try the 3d ones that are suppose to last 3 months.
s31pr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:18 am      Reply with quote
What kind of eyelash extensions to blondes get?????

My eyelashes are very blond and so if I get darker extensions I assume my real blonde eyelashes will be noticeable underneath.

I was told that one is not supposed to use mascara with the extensions because getting off the mascara contributes to making the extensions fall off faster.

So does anyone know what type of extensions to blondes get??
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Just thought I'd add my review here.

I tried Jinny lash - it looked fantastic, and I'm thinking of getting them done again, one day when feeling more flush! I have to say though, like some other reviewers here, when they finally all fell off, my lashes looked shorter and thinner.

I'm trying revitalash at the moment, but I'm not having a lot of results, and it does sting. I'll keep going for a bit. Also putting on castor oil at night.

I'm not sure what else to try. Maybe the skin biology folligen lotion and emu ... though someone else didn't have results with that.

Maybe when the Jan Marini becomes available again, that might be worth a try.
Pippi_Plum
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
How long have you been on the Revitalash?
The JM is available but it really burns my eyes.

I also think my hazel eyes are a bit browner since I began using the JM Embarassed
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:19 am      Reply with quote
I've had it about six weeks, and I use it 3 or 4 nights a week.

Thanks for letting me know the JM can burn too.

I wonder what is in these products, and wonder if these chemicals might be harmful. Don't like the sound of your hazel eyes turning browner!

I'm thinking now of swapping to folligen cream and emu oil instead.
asianrani

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have used about 3 Eyelash Extension technicians in London who all use the Eyelash Extensions . I was reasonably happy(since I didnt have any other company to compare to)

My main message for my reviews are-its not the lashes ITS WHO APPLIES THE LASHES WHICH MAKES OR BREAKS whether you will be happy with the lashes

I then went to an Eyelash Extensions place called TLC The Lash Clinic who did my Eyelash Extensions AMAZING! The lady who used to work at the clinic now works from home and is now working under the company name Eyelash Extensions London. Eyelash Extensions London made my Eyelash Extensions longer, thicker and really voluminous. I was soooooooooooooo happy with my Eyelash Extensions! The price of the Eyelash Extensions was almost half price compared to what she used to charge in her harley st clinic. She also had a FREE REFILL of Eyelash Extensions offer which was the icing on the cake! The Eyelash Extensions seemed softer and fuller compared to the other 3 places that did them. She made my eyes look so pretty and glamorous. My boyfriend even noticed my Eyelash Extensions and told me my eyes looked stunning and whether I had a new mascara! I have since been on my honeymoon and put the Eyelash Extensions to the test as I was swimming-It has been 4 weeks, and though a few of the Eyelash Extensions have come off-they are still going strong! I have been amazed my this Eyelash Extension woman! I now know why she has such an Eylash Extensions waiting list and regular client list Eyelash Extensions London first primed my Eyelashes and then began her magic! She attached each Eyelash Extension to every individual lash which is why the process takes a few hours! But WELL WORTH IT!! She kept showing me how the Eyelash Extensions were looking to ensure I was happy at each stage of the Eyelash Extensions process. There was very slight stinging but she explained that this may happen during the application of the Eyelash Extensions. The end result of the Eyelash Extensions were AMAZING! My eyes looked stunning and I am now hooked. I thouroughly reccomend TLC The Lash Clinic and Eyelash Extensions London The webpage i went on was thelashclinic dot com
Fab Fingers & Toes

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:04 am      Reply with quote
Hello lovelies! I was very intrigued by your posts. I am a nail technician running my own small shop, and am taking an Ardell Lash Extension course next month. I know nothing about lash extensions thus far, and therefore had no idea they cause the natural lashes to thin out. Thanks to you lovely ladies, I'll now be asking a whole whack of questions during the course lol!

At the moment, I just offer lash tinting, which I absolutely loooooove!

Quote:
s31pr

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:18 am Post subject:
What kind of eyelash extensions to blondes get?????

My eyelashes are very blond and so if I get darker extensions I assume my real blonde eyelashes will be noticeable underneath.

I was told that one is not supposed to use mascara with the extensions because getting off the mascara contributes to making the extensions fall off faster.

So does anyone know what type of extensions to blondes get??

I have lighter lashes, as I'm naturally blonde, so tinting is my saviour. I do my own on a regular basis, and have not noticed any change in the length or thickness of my own lashes (which are normally very long and fairly thick to begin with). I love not having to worry about mascara and raccoon eyes. And let me tell ya, after spending a full day working on hands and feet that have soaked in warm water, and working with hot wax, your face tends to melt lol. I love waking up looking like I already made my eyes up. I also notice I can get away without liner if I so choose to as well. Maybe try tinting your lashes for the color (I recommend a mixture of black and blue, as this really makes your eyes pop), and if you need extra length, try one of the serums.

After I finish my training, I'll be sure to come back and post my thoughts on the product, technique, and subsequent results/consequences.

Thanks for the food for thought!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |