Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can IPL get rid off prolonged redness?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Softgrey

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, I'm a new member and I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm a 39-year-old Asian female with light tan and yellow undertone skin. Ten yeas ago I had a dermabrasion (by motorized wheel...eegh) which left me
patches of prolonged redness with hyperpigmentation on both cheeks. In my quest to even out my skin tone, I've just had ActiveFX (Fractional CO2 laser) treatment last week which does diddley squat to my dark patches (in all fairness, I see slight improvement in skin texture but it's not worth the cost). I don't want to go back to the same derm now since he overpromised and underdelivered but still tried to convince me that the results were great.

So now I'm thinking about IPL but I'm not sure if it would help with my problem since it seems to be marketed towards people with Rosacea redness which is different than mine. So I'm wondering if IPL would also help with any redness other than diffuse redness from Rosacea? Any input will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi Softgrey
I don't know too much about salon treatments nor IPL but I do have mild hyperpigmentation and I'm beginning to believe my slight redness is that too.

I just wonder if you have tried gentler topical treatments and good general skincare such as anti-oxidants and sunscreen for some time. That improves my skin enormously. It seems a mistake to me to try harsh treatments when you've been burnt once already.

What else have you tried?
Molly Cool
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:04 am      Reply with quote
I'm absolutely no expert on this, but I agree with Molly. It sounds as though your traumatised skin might benefit from a very simple, gentle routine for a while, to allow it to recover.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:01 am      Reply with quote
I want to get IPL too. Back when I was a teenager and applied fake tan on my face..well I hated it and tried to rub it off with gulp Surprised sandpaper!
Well there are 2 patches near my jaw now on both sides of my face that are red..and this was 20 yrs ago! I think it burst some cappillaries and they look kind of ruddy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
From my understanding of IPL, it definitely helps with redness, but redness related to broken capillaries. Also, it is most beneficial to those with fair skin. I would suggest that you see a derm that does these kinds of procedures (as well as basic derm care) and discuss your concerns with them. They can tell you what would be best for your skin type and problems areas.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Tamgirl99 is correct. I've had quite a few IPL's and they give great results on the broken cap's. but for a deeper scar or trauma related red patch they don't do much. Now the more you have the better result. You cannot expect too much with just one.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Thank you ladies for all the comments. I'm gonna wait about a month for my face to heal from ActiveFX treatment before seeking out other treatment -- possibly the IPL. ActiveFX actually not a harsh procedure at all and I woul say it's equivalent to light chemical peel. Confused

Molly: I've been using Super Cop from Skinbio for a week. I've just ordered a Lightstim as well based on reviews on this forum (wish I could spring for a Baby Quasar but I've just spent a chunk of money on ActiveFX Sad ). I've also ordered EGF,Glutathione and SOD from Skinactives hoping this solution combined with Lightstim can even out my skin tone within a few months before I lose patience and spend more on expensive treatments. Wish me luck. Laughing
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:01 am      Reply with quote
I would go more gently myself Softgrey. The supercop is a powerful product but I wouldn't start out with it. Couldn't you just use some gentle, healing products for 6 weeks? I mean really gentle - starting with no actives. Emu oil and HA or similar to rebuild your skin barrier. Then maybe add some C or a beginners CP serum. Really sounds like you're doing too much all at once IMHO And even then it takes months to see good results which is slow but at least you wouldn't hurt yourself again.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Molly... the more simple and gentle, the better. If you have access to a helichrysum hydrosol, you can use that as a toner or to dilute the emu oil a bit for faster absorption. Helichrysum is a wonderful healing agent. Best of luck! Smile
CyndiK.
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
I think if one's had specific redness for 10 - 20 years...something more than products is called for...I mean...you may be one 20-minute treatment away from it being gone...

I planned on posting something on an existing IPL thread...but since someone asked...this is my IPL story so far....

In the past 6 weeks, I've had two IPL treatments for sun-damage. A fabulous plastic surgeon strongly suggested it for me. I shamelessly tanned for 30 years. If you search for IPL experiences/opinions here and elsewhere you'll get strong yays and nays and conflicting advice on what it helps and doesn't help. I am happy with my results and expect more progress as I will have more sessions, but I'm changing machines from an IPL to a GentleLase (sp?); I want to compare the two as they are unique but similar. My results are not what I expected but I'm happy- I'm pleasantly surprised at how much redness has left my skin from IPL; my befores and afters look like I've lost a suntan or burn..but I don't have a tan in my before shots. I thought my brown spots would be more diminished...but they have faded like no product or medication has ever delivered for me.

I don't have much interest in wearing makeup and even less skill in applying it...and in the past five years my sun-damage has dramatically surfaced; I've had to wear more and more makeup/concealer...but now feel comfortable in sheer coverage again. This is worth the IPL for me. I will continue to post my progress and/or ups & downs with the treatments. I've learned a lot from this community, and not that I like showing my naked lop-sided face to you beauty queens and kings... but, it's what I can contribute to those thinking about IPL...if interested~ here's a link to photos....

Titles below photos explain image....feel free to pm if you want more IPL info.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=10yltch3.c6e6694z&Uy=fu3hy0&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

xx, Cyndi K., 40
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your story Cyndi. I love IPL's and was going to have one this week but hubby is treating me to Vegas tommorrow. I think I will do one next week but I need a week's downtown to recover from the swelling. I just love the way my skintone looks, once the bruises fade of course! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Cyndi! You're an absolute doll and I love your cheeks and smile! I am really wanting to have this done but now I will definitely wait to hear your comparisons with the Gentlelase.

Also, could you describe what kind of "surgery" you had for your mole removal? They did a great job. I think I need to go visit a plastic surgeon to see what they can do about fixing a botched mole removal next to my left eyebrow. The dermatologist that did it suggested that after she remove it all (leaving a deep hole) that I let it fill in on its own and heal. She said given the location it would look better to have a round scar than a line, since a line would look like an extension of my brow. Now I'm completely disappointed in the way it came out because it never filled in and there is still a small part of the mole there! Mad
Softgrey

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Molly & Tam: Your points are well taken. I have been using CP serum for a while and believe that my skin has built up tolerance for Super Cop as it no longer stings. I've been using it with Emu oil as well. In fact I credit combination of emu oil/CP serum/Super Cop for my super fast recover from ActiveFX treatment but I agree with you that I should be gentle with my skin for a while and wait for my face to heal completely first.

Cyndi: Thanks so much for sharing your story and pics. It's very encouraging. You look absolutely amazing. Your face has brighthend up so much and IPL seems to help reduce pore size too judging from the 5th pic. My dark patches are close in color of the area around your mouth before IPL in 2nd pic so it's very motivating to see your great results. You look so radiant, glowing and healthy in the last pic. I'm so envious of your skin right now. Oh did I mention that you look at least 10 years younger than your age? Thanks so much.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Cyndi-great results and thanks for the pics. What a hubba hubba hubby! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Cyndi-great results and thanks for the pics. What a hubba hubba hubby! Laughing
Hee!!

Hey~ Thanks for the replies...y'all are too kind.

TAMgirl99~ The surgery was the removal w/ a local by a surgeon w/ a great rep. When he told me the incision would be 2.5 X's the size of the width of the mole I just couldn't imagine how a gap like that would heal nicely...my scar is 3/4"...but, the success is all about the sutures below the surface - as I understand it. In a recent post regarding scars, I wrote about how I coddled it so. I decided to have it done sooner rather than later (it was growing ever so slowly...looked like a freckle when I was two); I figured the younger the better for healing. Much less expensive procedure than I expected too.
Alisuchi
5% products discount

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I am wondering what everyone who has had IPL thinks about its effectiveness vs fotofacial...I have discussed with a couple of skincare people, derms, etc., and of course those who perform IPL say that is good, and those who do the fotofacial recommend that (surprise Very Happy )
My biggest issue is broken caps, btw.

Thanks! Sorry if a bit off-topic...
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Well Alisuchi you just threw me for a loop. I thought IPL and photofacials were the same thing!?!

Can someone please explain the differences?
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Do you need to get referred to a dermatologist by a doctor to get IPL or can you just walk into any clinic who does it? Thanks Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
No referral / prescription necessary...

Confusion regarding terms for all "non-ablative skin rejuvenation" is unavoidable...in the marketing of the services, terms are vaguely thrown around...for me, research is an on-going process, because, as Alisuchi alluded to and has been my experience, what-ever machine the provider has...(often) they say it's THE answer for you. But I think I’ve got the very basics.....

Actually, "fotofacial" is a registered trademark of a company that makes IPL machines. IPL: Intense Pulsed Light- is a broad spectrum of light that is pulsed. The combination of the spectrum can be manipulated by the technician based on the goal (such as, IPL can be used for hair removal too- though not the most effective for this). Often, Photofacial; Photo Rejuvenation... etc. (note the confusing slightly different spellings) refer to non-ablative laser technology or one wave-length technology. And then there are many types of lasers...Diode, Yag, Alexandrite etc. This means nothing to me except that it's different from IPL. Laser and IPL are both effective but to what degree depends on what the problem issue is and the expertise of the person operating the machine...expertise not necessarily meaning an MD imo. There are many machines that provide each of these two technologies. And everyone says they have the best. I have had IPL...I have an appt. for laser (GentleLase, an Alexandrite laser) in a couple of weeks. Though IPL has been good to me, I'm hoping for better results with my brown marks with laser. IPL might work on your (whoever’s) brown spots...my tech. said mine must be deep in the tissue....old sun damage from a particularly brutal beach vacation when I was twelve, I suspect....she says “more sessions”...maybe...but some say laser is better for brown marks and IPL for red....

My advice is to ask the prospective provider what technology they are using, IPL or laser...then, specifically what machine or what type of laser...then do your online research...it's a continuous battle to weed through the hype....and, often, one just don't know till they try.

Maybe an expert will chime in now....
Alisuchi
5% products discount

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the feedback, Cyndi! I have been doing a bit of research, but as I said, everyone seems to be pushing "their" particular brand of treatment. I think IPL (and its cousins Smile seem to be the way to go for me, considering my issue is mostly redness (caps, etc.)
It also seems like there is a huge variation in price for sessions (in Atlanta at least). I have seen $200/session up to $425 a session (yikes Shock ) for fotofacial. If it is in fact a derm's office that is performing the treatment, should I be concerned about the lower priced ones, or are the higher priced services just overchargin?
Sorry if this is a lot of questions...it seems like you really know your lasers Smile and your skin looks great, by the way!!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi Alisuchi,
I have had a number of IPL treatments for broken caps and think that the procedure is very effective. Before I started my face looked like a roadmap and I was really self-conscious about it. My skin is now just about clear, but I do find that those stubborn veins around the nose tend to come back.

The biggest issue with IPL is finding someone to give you the correct "strength" to achieve your goal. IPL does hurt (no matter the strength), so I think it is better to get a strong treatment and get it over and done with in one hit instead of having to endure numerous procedures.

I should add that at this very minute my face is a mess - bruised from an IPL that I had yesterday to get rid of brown patches. My face tends to swell up as well, although my daughter's face never swells up when she has one.

The bottom line is: it is a bit of a mission, but the results are worth it.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:25 am      Reply with quote
IPL did not work for me at all. The dr I went to yesterday sold me a bottle of K-Derm Cream by Donell for $48. Its for bruise and rosacea, I dont know if I have that but I have reddish cheeks, I put it on and it takes the red out maybe you could buy that first its a hell of a lot cheaper than IPL
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:24 am      Reply with quote
Wow Cyndi I just looked at your pictures and I have to say the IPL took 5-10 years off you! Curious, how much did you spend in total for the IPL to get such great results??
CyndiK.
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Do you really think FaithTruth? Thank you!

I don't know how to give short answers regarding my IPL experience...I write posts like I wish I had found when I was investigating IPL...so if you're not interested in IPL/laser, save yourself a few wasted minutes of your life and move on from this post....

My opinion is that the quality of the treatment is not indicative of the price or the location, whether it's a Doctor's office or an aesthetics clinic/spa-type place. I knowingly paid too much ($400 x2) because the technician I wanted works @ my Derm's office. She's administered IPL daily for over six years; she’s analytical, professional, serious, and picky and really knows skin care, my dream tech for virgin IPL treatment. After seeing my initial results, a friend is having IPL too at her Derm's office; she's paying $300 per session plus a micro-dermabrasion ($80 value they said) is included. I'll see her tomorrow, but she emailed this a.m. that she's happy with her results...I’m not a good candidate for dermabrasion but maybe I could talk them into $250 sans the Derma....now that I’m comfortable with IPL, I’m done with $400 sessions. BTW- For me, there is very little down time; I make my appts. for late afternoon. I'm pretty red and blotchy after wards and wouldn't want to apply concealer as my skin feels a bit raw...by the next morning, I'm fine - no bruising. The tech. applies an antioxidant serum (her own concoction) liberally immediately afterwards. Also, she has me use SkinCeuticals Clarifying Clay Masque the evening before IPL; she said that because the IPL tightens the pores, having them as clean as possible will help my skin not breakout after the treatment (this hasn't happened to me) and will facilitate them tightening more. I’ll continue this with laser too.

For laser I'm going to a spa-type laser center, a lovely place that is sharp contrast to my IPL-place's clinical atmosphere. I consulted with the director then the technician, and I've seen the results of this particular tech and machine on someone else. Inspiring results *fingers crossed*. The laser will be $200 per session. Laser is not normally any cheaper than IPL---just found a good deal at a good place.

Regarding capillaries on/around the nose- though IPL is often credited with helping these (and I believe people on this board have had good results with this area), my tech. said that IPL would really not help mine. So, before my initial IPL she used a laser (normally used for varicose veins) just on these veins. Way painful. She said they would go away immediately but would probably come back as it takes a few treatments for eradication. This area was also then IPL’d (new verb). The veins vanished (Yea!!)...only to return a couple of weeks later undiminished. As these are so common, if my continued treatments or any other treatments eliminate these...I will post.

Hope I’ve helped. xx, Cyndi
Alisuchi
5% products discount

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you to Cyndi and Keliu for your replies. I appreciate that you took the time to provide so much info about your experiences, Cyndi, it is indeed very helpful to me (and I am sure to others here).
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |