Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

B Kamins Clear Control Purifying Masque (120 g / 4 oz) Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Mask (50 ml /  1.7 floz) Donell A+Q10 Cream (2.5 oz)
HELP for my 6-year-old son -- scaly scalp problem

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi, my son has a scaly scalp problem since he was a baby. I asked 3 different pediatricians to look at it, and they all said it's a cradle cap, and just to use some dandruff shampoo and rub baby oil on his scalp, and he'll outgrow it on his own.

He's almost 7 now, and the scaly scalp is there still. If I try to pull on it, the entire scalp skin came off with all the hair attached to it. Then it seems new ones will form, so it won't go away.

Has anyone seen this problem with your kid before? How did you combat this problem? I am pretty desperate, and now my boy is at the age where he's aware of his appearance, and he's asking why he got "stuff" on his scalp. Oh and when I pull it out, he says it hurts.

Thank you in advance.
Cherisse
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse, I'm so sorry your son is going through this. I really think you need to take him to a dermatologist. The pediatritions don't seem to be getting to the bottom of it. Going to someone who specializes in skin problems hopefully will help. Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
2nd the dermatologist. I have the adult version of cradle cap (seborrhea) and I have tried varios otc shampoo and rx shampoo. You just have to find the right product to get it under control.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
My son had a similar sounding problem. He's a lot older now. c4ward is right. Take him to a dermatologist. I remember the Doctor recommending Ginger Shampoo sold at the Body Shop. Also some kind of strong shampoo, I had to order it in, although some drugstores had it. The Dermatologist can really help.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
I tried to get a referral to a dermatologist, but the pediatricians did not want to send him to a dermatologist. (Dang HMO) I will try again. Maybe I just have to be VERY INSISTENT as in if you don't refer him to a dermatologist, I would have to do some major bodily harm on your person. LOL
hkyarrington
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi my son is 4 years old and occasionally still has that too Smile, if he lets me i will first put a warm towel over his heat and rub oil over his hear and just keep rubbing it over his head, sometimes I will let it overnight and then wash it off the next day. Brushing helps good too. If all those things don't work I think you should be very insistent.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
thank you for your advice. Do you find that when you pull on this scalp skin, all the hair comes off with it, and leaves a bald spot? I'm afraid my son will be bald.
hkyarrington
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi well I'm not pulling, while it is all oily I'm making rounds and rounds with my fingers with a bit of pressure trying to rub it out away, I never tried to pull it off. (I hope I'm explaining myself, as you by now probably now I'm Dutch:))
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I understood what you meant. Well, I was too impatient, so I pulled and my son would say ouch, it hurt. Last night as I was doing this to him again, he said, "Mommy, it hurts. I don't think I can ouch any more."
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:25 am      Reply with quote
My older son seems to have FINALLY stopped getting this. He's 12 now.

It is over-production of sebum that cause cradle cap apparently. He now has really really oily hair... Sad
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
catski, THANK YOU! I feel like I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel even if it's 5 more years! (He's turning 7 in March.)
hkyarrington
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi Cherise,
well for my son it works good it comes off rubbing, for him it feels like a sort of hard massage (he doesn't always want to cooperatie) and i keep doing it over a couple days. Then after a while I look and some places has come back:) and do it again.

I hope you will find some solution... it looks a bit creepy:)
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
I agree! It looks awful. I just want to pull it all out for him.
sniggi
5% products discount

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
My 8 year old son has this as well. His pediatrician prescribed Mometasone Furoate Topical Solution USP, 0.1%. I put a few drops on the crusty part and it disappears over a week or two. Now, I try to give him frequent showers and after shampooing, I will brush his hair in the area that is prone to this.

Hope this helps!!!
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse - I really think you need to put up a stink and get to a dermatologist. I think it's just awful the doctor won't give you a referal. If you can't get your insurance to pay for it, I'd bite the bullet & pay for an office appointment. What if it isn't what the pediatrition thinks it is? What if it's something simple to correct? For the pain it's causing your son, I really would try to go all out.I am so sorry you're having to go through this. Coleen

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse...My son is now 16 and still has it. It is not nearly as bad now. He's been using a dandruff shampoo once or twice a week. Our doctor suggested it. His hair has always been thin. It is now very oily, just as another poster has also said. When he was younger I'd cover his scalp in baby oil and comb it out. Yep, I remember him saying it hurt. I feel for ya!!
For my son, the dandruff shampoo seemed to work out ok. It might be worth a shot.
hkyarrington
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

yes you could try a cortisone creme as mentioned above, can you press your doctor a little more ?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
THANK YOU SO MUCH, sniggi!! I will mention this topical solution to his pediatrician and see if she can prescribe it for him. You are an angel!

sniggi wrote:
My 8 year old son has this as well. His pediatrician prescribed Mometasone Furoate Topical Solution USP, 0.1%. I put a few drops on the crusty part and it disappears over a week or two. Now, I try to give him frequent showers and after shampooing, I will brush his hair in the area that is prone to this.

Hope this helps!!!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I will call the doctor and leave a message. I have Kaiser now, so I always have to go through an operator. But I will check this out. This is awesome. Thank you.

hkyarrington wrote:
Hi,

yes you could try a cortisone creme as mentioned above, can you press your doctor a little more ?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
I really want to thank you all for your support. It pains me when he says it hurts him, and I am glad I thought about posting this question to other mothers who have the same experience. Thank you for sharing your experience and solution with me. My little Shaun will certainly thank you all, too.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cherisse - I take care of my older brother who has cerebral palsy. He has seborrheic dermatitis too but it didn't begin until his early adulthood and he's had it ever since. I think I've mentioned this before on the forum, but I mix some tea tree oil in the No-Rinse shampoo I use on him. It doesn't completely eliminate the problem but it really cuts down on it a lot. I gently comb his hair first BEFORE shampooing to get rid of as much flaking as possible. Some combs can have sharp teeth so I make sure I don't use that kind.

This condition is often fungal in nature from what I understand so regular shampooing and cleaning of combs and brushes is key, as well as keeping pillowcases clean.

He also gets some crustiness on his eyebrows and behind his ears. If this is also a problem for your son you may want to know that every night at bedtime after I wash his face, I apply a cheap Alpha Hydrox cream that contains 10% AHA on his face, behind his ears and up into his hairline. This also seems to keep it in check because the patches of scaliness for him seem to be concentrated mostly around the edges of his scalp (but not entirely).

We've tried Rx Nizoral which was miraculous at first, but after a month it stopped working. The OTC Nizoral hasn't worked either.

But I'm interested in sniggi's tip about applying a topical steroid!

Good luck!
zaney63
5% products discount

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi:
I just wanted to add that a very mild beta hydroxy worked for my daughter. You might want to start with 2%and a PH of 3. I think this may help clear the pores and loosen the scale. A mild alpha hydroxy may help to remove the loosened scale.
HTH

Regards
MJS
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
zaney63 wrote:
Hi:
I just wanted to add that a very mild beta hydroxy worked for my daughter. You might want to start with 2%and a PH of 3. I think this may help clear the pores and loosen the scale. A mild alpha hydroxy may help to remove the loosened scale.
HTH

Regards
MJS

Hi MJS,
Thank you! I was wondering where did you buy your beta or alpha hydroxy?
Thank you.
Cherisse
sniggi
5% products discount

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Dear Cherisse,
I really hope that you can find some relief for him!! Please keep us posted!
Sniggi
Bunny7475
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
My stepson still had this at 6 and the stuff the dermatologist prescribed didn't cut it. Somehow I got the idea to use Body Shop Tea Tree cleanser (it's face wash, but I just used it like shampoo, taking care not to get it in his eyes) and a couple times a week I took a cotton ball with Sea Breeze and dabbed at the really bad patches. Make sure he doesn't have any scratches (SS used to scratch until his scalp bled) as the Sea Breeze could really sting - all that alcohol Rolling Eyes ). There was a BIG improvement in just a couple weeks.

I had tried all the oil, combing out, drugstore products, prescriptions, and this is the only thing that had any effect. Unfortunately I don't know if he's still clear b/c I got divorced and I don't see him anymore...
System
Automatic Message
Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Go Smile Touch Up Smile Perfecting Ampoules 30 Count - Green Apple (30 ampoules) Skincerity Nightly Breathable Masque (29.6 ml / 1 floz) Donell A+Q10 Cream (2.5 oz)