Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Isn't Milk of Magnesia bad for your skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
A couple of months ago I developed these huge, horrible ugly cysts on the side of my nose and chin. This was right around Thanksgiving and because of this, I didn't want my picture to be taken Sad

Since I haven't gotten one of these in years, I quit using the finishing powder from EM because I thought the cornstarch was the culprit. At the same time, I also stopped applying Milk of Magnesia as a mattifier and resigned myself to having a shiny face until I discovered the wonders of silk dust! These cysts were so bad that I still have a scar on my chin - it's fading slowly (whether this is due to the drops of lavendar oil I've been applying on a daily basis or the passage of time, I do not know)

Anyhoo, I was browsing through some old threads and I wondered if the alkalinity in MOM was the true culprit - I'd never really given PH factor a second thought until now, but when you look at this scale, MOM is just one PH factor below ammonia and 2 factors greater than baking soda!! so did I damage the acid mantle on my skin?

I'm pasting the link and quote below, any thoughts on this? Many thanks to Tangal for posting this BTW!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=179755

Tangal wrote:
Some Info on pH and wait times

Some pH examples:

pH 1 battery acid - (acid extreme)
pH 1.5 -2 = Gastric (stomach) acid
pH 2.5 = Cola soft drinks
pH 2 = lemon juice
pH 3 = vinegar
ph = 3.5 Orange Juice
pH 4.6-5.5 = healthy skin
pH 5.5 = rain, (pure water, when exposed to the atmosphere, will take in carbon dioxide, changing its pH)
pH 6.5 = milk
pH 6.5 – 7.4 = Healthy Saliva
pH 7 = pure distilled water - (this is Neutral pH, neither acid or base)[/color]
pH 7.35 – 7.45 = human blood
pH 8.5 = baking soda
pH 9 = Sea Water
pH 9.0-10.0 = Hand Soap, detergents
pH 10.5 = Milk of Magnesia
pH 11.5 = household ammonia
pH 12.5 = household bleach
pH 13 = lye (sodium hydroxide, or Draino)(Alkaline or Base extreme)

Skin, and the Acid Mantle

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
hlg22
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I stopped using MOM after seeing Tangal's post as well. I'm doing pretty well controlling oil with ylang ylang oil and silk dust, and didn't want to risk any problems from the MOM. I would be curious if someone has an answer to this, though - I know Carekate was the one first recommending the MOM primer here, and she seems pretty conscientious and well-informed about what she puts on her skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Until I hear anything to the contrary, I've placed MOM on my shelf of products NOT to use. Too bad, it really did leave a nice finish....

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
I was going to try MOM until I read about the silk pearl dust. Has anybody tried both to see if there was a difference?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
I was going to try MOM until I read about the silk pearl dust. Has anybody tried both to see if there was a difference?

I used both the silk dust and MOM in conjunction with each other, and did not see much difference than when I just use the silk dust. I have some pearl powder at home and so was going to try adding some to the CareKate's silk dust I've got this weekend. It sounds in some other threads like folks have had good luck with that, and I have used a sample of the pearl creme and liked it very much.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Witch sild dust is the best ? And what about rice powder...anyone tryed it ? I really want to buy one of the two ?Im also going to reserch some old post to see how to use it propelly .

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:05 am      Reply with quote
oh dear, I am so disappointed to learn this, as i really do like how MOM makes my forehead stay matte even after a long flight! So far it has not upset my skin, so i would like to keep using it, but dear god, that PH just can't be good!

Is the silk dust the answer?

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
steffers wrote:
oh dear, I am so disappointed to learn this, as i really do like how MOM makes my forehead stay matte even after a long flight! So far it has not upset my skin, so i would like to keep using it, but dear god, that PH just can't be good!

Is the silk dust the answer?

Steffers, I'm curious if other products you used either before or after applying MOM restored your PH balance? Maybe that's why it works so well for some but so horrible for others.

At least for me, silk dusk is absolutely the answer! I've been using 100% silk dust from Everyday Minerals for nearly a month now with great results; it's earned a permanent place in my makeup bag! Very Happy

steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Steffers, I'm curious if other products you used either before or after applying MOM restored your PH balance? Maybe that's why it works so well for some but so horrible for others.

At least for me, silk dusk is absolutely the answer! I've been using 100% silk dust from Everyday Minerals for nearly a month now with great results; it's earned a permanent place in my makeup bag! Very Happy

Well, I apply the MOM last, just dab it on my forehead with a cotton ball and it does the trick. Good question, i wonder if either my moisturizer (YY Oil), or my sunscreen (currently Juicy Beauty SPF 30) may neutralize the negative effect.

Now here's a question, not to get off topic, but are all "silk dusts" the same? I ask because this forum loves and raves about Jurlique's Silk Dust, and now i'm hearing about Everyday Minerals. Are they essentially the same? Is there a big price difference between brands of silk dust? And do you apply silk dust as the last step in your routine, similar to MOM?

Thanks! Very Happy

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
steffers wrote:
athena123 wrote:

Well, I apply the MOM last, just dab it on my forehead with a cotton ball and it does the trick. Good question, i wonder if either my moisturizer (YY Oil), or my sunscreen (currently Juicy Beauty SPF 30) may neutralize the negative effect.

Now here's a question, not to get off topic, but are all "silk dusts" the same? I ask because this forum loves and raves about Jurlique's Silk Dust, and now i'm hearing about Everyday Minerals. Are they essentially the same? Is there a big price difference between brands of silk dust? And do you apply silk dust as the last step in your routine, similar to MOM?

Thanks! Very Happy

Steffers--

There is a huge price difference between Jurlique and EDM, J-31.52USD EDM-12.00USD. I love the way Jurlique smells but, the EDM gives better oil control IMO. You can use silk dust as a primer before makeup and/or as a setting powder. I unfortunately had to stop using EDM b/c it made me itch like crazy, I dont think that anyone else has had this problem though. The funny thing is Jurliqe contains no actual silk (Corn Starch, Rice Starch, Silica, Calendula extract, Arnica, With Hazel Daisy, Sage, Rosemary, Orris, Lavender oil ) where as the EDM is 100% silk dust.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
PrincessAgitha

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
But have you heard about someone who had problems with MOM? Or it's just based on the ''Ph form'' ??

Thank you !!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |