Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Water Ingestion Questions
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

Here are my questions:

1. How much water do you (try to) drink each day?
2. When do you drink it?
3. How do you drink it (fast, gradually, after, before workouts, etc.)
4. What are your insights about water drinking, if any?

I can't remember where I read this, but I read on a spiritual water drinking expert's website that the best thing to do for your cells in the morning is to flood them with lots of water (not too much, up to 1.25 liters over a 1/2 hours span, otherwise, you might have major medical issues). According to this man it activates the cells and makes them fight free radicals better? I'm sorry I do not remember what it was about exactly. I drink lemon water first thing every morning through a straw, and then about four more glasses of h20 before my vitamins and breakfast. Then more as the day progresses. The other thing this man mentioned was that drinking liquids during and immediately after eating a meal is really bad for you, ESP. if you are eating bread or grains.... and that the water should always be room temperature.
And one more thing that I agree with--do not drink any water for an hour before going to bed, since you will wake up with puffy eyes for sure. I've done a controlled experiment with this, and it is true in my opinion!

any and all thoughts appreciated...
Wink
--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:49 am      Reply with quote
I try to drink 2 lt of water a day, (plus other drinks), which is a lot easier to do in the summer. My skin looks so much clearer and healthier when I do drink a lot of water. I drink it when I can and gradually.

Yes I've also heard that you shouldn't drink with a meal. I assume if you eat bread and drink water it can cause bloating.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:25 am      Reply with quote
I've heard that you should not drink with a meal because it affects digestion and absorption.
Also heard that drinking lukewarm water is absorbed by the body better than cold water.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
I try to drink water at meals because I tend to drink a lot of fluids while eating. I read (in a health magazine sometime back)that 4 glasses is suffice for anyone unless you work manually really hard or exercise alot. I feel better when I drink plenty of water and tend to feel full quicker. Also drink fortified juices.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:35 am      Reply with quote
I drink about 2 lt. per day throughout 8 hr. working hour since I will forget when I got home. I tried to drink luke warm water.

I think in general, humidifier is important too during working hour to keep your skin hydrated.
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:52 am      Reply with quote
Interesting topic...I really think most people are dehydrated since they drink sooo much coffee and sport-drinks/fruit-drinks/soda. I drink 1/2 gallon a day, room temperature water. I don't count my morning coffee, and I don't drink sodas or juices so it's just straight water. I tend to drink more in the afternoon, it's difficult for me to drink it in the a.m., for some reason.

I have heard about not drinking liquids with meals. I don't absolutely drink zero water w/meals, but I consume very little. It dilutes the natural stomach acids, and can actually make your stomach be too acidic, as has to produce more acid to digest the food in the presence of extra liquids. Most people tend to gulp down their food and use liquids to help ... it's important to chew chew chew! lots of times! before you swallow, it really helps out your stomach.

Some people combine 1/2 tsp sea salt in a 1/2 gallon of water (I think that's the combo). Some people swear by it. There's good info on water consumption here: http://www.grandtimes.com/Water_Cure.html

Benefits: plumper skin and optimally working internal organs; ALL of our cells are mostly water. Improved digestion; staying hydrated also helps those who tend towards constipated. We can all go without food for a week if we really had to, but without water for a week, we'd die.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:58 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
I've heard that you should not drink with a meal because it affects digestion and absorption.
Also heard that drinking lukewarm water is absorbed by the body better than cold water.

I've heard the same thing, ParisT...I am a big advocate of water consumption! I drink between 2 and 4 glasses of room temp water with lemon daily...BUT I drink it through a straw because I'm afraid of the lemon damaging my teeth...I also drink maybe 3 glasses on average of filtered water....the rest of my fluid intake is one cup of coffee in the morning...a cup of black tea mid-morning and then, believe it or not...sugar-free, grape kool-aid (to which I am addicted!) throughout the day!
Pudoodles
Shawna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:59 am      Reply with quote
I drink about 75 to 100 oz of water a day, with the bulk of that during the morning and midday. I used to drink a bunch of water during the span of time after dinner and before bed, but since I stopped doing that my eyes are less puffy and I don't have to get up to go to the bathroom in the night (go figure!).

In addition to this, I drink warm lemon water first thing in the AM and some kind of herbal or green tea. I add minerals or some other form of electrolytes (celtic sea salt, etc.) to all of the water that I drink, even if it's just a little bit.

Also, I don't drink water with meals, unless it is as part of a digestive tonic.

Smile
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Shawna wrote:
I drink about 75 to 100 oz of water a day, with the bulk of that during the morning and midday. I used to drink a bunch of water during the span of time after dinner and before bed, but since I stopped doing that my eyes are less puffy and I don't have to get up to go to the bathroom in the night (go figure!).

In addition to this, I drink warm lemon water first thing in the AM and some kind of herbal or green tea. I add minerals or some other form of electrolytes (celtic sea salt, etc.) to all of the water that I drink, even if it's just a little bit.

Also, I don't drink water with meals, unless it is as part of a digestive tonic.

Smile

Oh Shawna, I'm so glad the no water before bedtime helped with your puffy eyes as it did with mine. Isn't it nice to save $$$ on all those de-puffing creams? Wink

I also drink my lemon water through a straw, and coffee and occasional tea are my only other beverages. that's very interesting about adding minerals (namely, salt) to water... And what about drinking water just before meals--anyone know if that interrupts digestion too?

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Shawna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Avalange, I think the guideline is to avoid liquids for about 30 minutes before and up to 1 hour after meals. Of course, there is more than one opinion on this. Smile

Exceptions would be digestive tonics like peppermint or ginger tea (on the strong side), kombucha, etc.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:02 am      Reply with quote
I just fill my 64oz. Britta jug up and drink it throughout the day. When it's done, I fill it up for the next day. I do drink it at room temp. and never with meals.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I try to drink at least 1 litre of water a day. I fill of a nalgene bottle at work and sip throughout out the day. I am one of those people who HAS to have fluids with her meal - can't eat otherwise, so I at times drink water with meals as well. If I drink too much water too fast I find I am constantly in the bathroom. (like every 10 - 15 minutes. Really small & low blatter.) So I have to moderate my intake. LOL Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
I try to drink 2 litres of water a day. I can only drink it at room temperature, so carrying a bottle with me works well. I have to stop drinking water by 5 pm, or I am up all night visiting the bathroom. Smile

I try to drink very little with meals. I've read that it slows down digestion because it dilutes the digestive enzymes in our stomachs.
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Geez I feel so bad. I exercise, don't smoke, minimal alcohol, eat healthy but have a really crap record drinking pure water. For some reason when I drink alot it makes my stomach feel really funny, kind of heavy and like I have to GO NOW NOW NOW. In fact if I drink a glass within a minute I have to get to the bathroom. I find drinking sparkling water is better but my fitter friends look at me with disgust when I do this at the gym. So I try and do it on the sly when they are doing their squats. I think I am incapable of eating without sipping a drink too. I try to cheat and count other liquids, fruit, raindrops that accidently fall on me etc as part of my daily water intake. Sigh. I wish I knew how to change.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
I drink 2 litres of pure water only, no tea, no coke, no coffee, and i always mix cold water with warm water.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
If I wanted to look good I'd say 2 litres but I contantly forget to drink as much water as needed. I maybe get in 4 to 6 glasses a day.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:11 am      Reply with quote
Blacklace wrote:
Geez I feel so bad. I exercise, don't smoke, minimal alcohol, eat healthy but have a really crap record drinking pure water. For some reason when I drink alot it makes my stomach feel really funny, kind of heavy and like I have to GO NOW NOW NOW. In fact if I drink a glass within a minute I have to get to the bathroom. I find drinking sparkling water is better but my fitter friends look at me with disgust when I do this at the gym. So I try and do it on the sly when they are doing their squats. I think I am incapable of eating without sipping a drink too. I try to cheat and count other liquids, fruit, raindrops that accidently fall on me etc as part of my daily water intake. Sigh. I wish I knew how to change.

Hi Blacklace,

FYI, your bladder gets used to it after about a week... You just have to experiment with which style of water drinking is right for you--some peeople take smaller amounts throughout the day, I tend to chug two glasses at a time.

--avalange

poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:25 am      Reply with quote
I try to drink more than 1.5L a day. I keep a glass of water beside my bed so that I can drink a glass first thing in the morning to flush out toxins. I also bring hot water or cold water w/ lemon in a traveling mug with me to my morning classes/errands. When I'm out all day, I bring a huge thermos with me ( Laughing I get a lot of questions) so I can drink water constantly. I try not to drink water close to meals because it dilutes your stomach acids and may disturb digestion. I don't drink at bedtime because I don't want to get up in the middle of the night Very Happy . It's important to not drink too much at one setting as you may overload your kidney function. So I think it's important to keep water near you to drink consistently.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:44 am      Reply with quote
I drink about 1,5-2 liters of water a day. I normally always have a glass by me. I like to drink small amounts often, as I find that drinking a lot a water at once only make me run to the bathroom. Probably normal since it is a limit to how much water your body can take up at once! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I don't usually drink with meals but I did last night and had the worst indigestion, not doing that again.

I try and drink 2L, but probably only have 1.5L, straight from the bottle, room temp. I drink a lot to curb hunger pains. At work I drink water instead of snacking, I need to work on doing this at home tho!!

Plus just started drinking 3-4 cups of green tea on top.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Another member had mentioned that drinking 1/2 your body weight in water daily is healthy.

I have heard the same thing. I know when you hear that you think- what! Thats too much, but its really not.

Here is a formula that i posted on another thread:
Divide your weight by 2, lets say your 120lbs (120lbs/2) = 60
this gives you the number of ounces you will need to drink.
There are about 8 ounces in an average glass (60 / = 7.5 glasses. (sixty divided by eight) (the face with the shades keeps coming up when I enter 8 in the formula)

Want to know in liters?
There are 33.81 ounces in 1 liter
(60 ounces/33.81 ounces per liter)= 1.77 liter.

I try to drink about 3 liters a day- which is much more than half my body weight, but its becuase I have a kidney stone problem, I need to make sure my body is always hydrated and flushing waste out.

But be careful not to over hydrate yourself (water only)- you could potentially dilute your electroyltes and cause more serious health problems.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:12 am      Reply with quote
I've only picked up the good habit of drinking filtered water (at least 5-6 glasses a day) in the past 2 years or so.. man my health has improved a lot!

I add concentrated mineral drops into my drinking water whenever I remember, and I always drink at least two glasses of clear water in the mornings.

I do drink quite a lot of digestive aids during the day, mostly peppermint tea or sometimes green tea.

I take a fibre supplement so I try to drink about 2 glasses of water for every 6-8 grams of fibre.. but again I also take care to boost my electrolyte levels afterwards, since water+fibre carries a lot of nutrients away.
jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:27 am      Reply with quote
1. How much water do you (try to) drink each day?

Three liters at least

2. When do you drink it?

All the time! Especially in the morning.

3. How do you drink it (fast, gradually, after, before workouts, etc.)

Gradually

4. What are your insights about water drinking, if any?

It's quite helpful to maintain my skin and health.
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
Don't do this:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
I drink about 1.5 Ltr at work every day (over 6 hours or so, usually 1/2 glass every 30min or so) - keeping the water poured into the glass rather than just the bottle sitting on the desk really helps you go through it. It becomes a subscounscious thing - you dont even realize you have drunk the glass in front of you!

Also a glass with lemon in the morning and probably one more before leaving home. And then another 2 or 3 at home in the evening. Wow. that is a lot of water. I really notice that now I cannot go without my water. If I go out shopping I am always running off to buy a bottle of water..

Re the water and food issue. I was told that when eating, dont drink water until you have eating at least 1/4 of the meal, that way the stomach juices will have started working on food and the water would not have a great effect. I guess the idea of not drinking immediately before a meal would make sense for this too, though I have never heard of not drinking water till hours after a meal.

A doctor told me once that drinking sparkling water with a meal is best because the bubbles help you to feel full quicker Laughing

Whatever happened to that old addage: a stomach should be 1/3 food, 1/3 water and 1/3 empty? Laughing

Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |