Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

adding "sulfur" to DIY skincare?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Hey everyone!

I keep reading sulfur as an ingredient in acne-related products lately and am very intrigued (proactive mask, MD skincare spot treatment, Mario Badescu acne products, murad)!!!

I was thinking I could crush up an MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane / dimethylsulfone) pill and add it to some of my DIY creations, but i'm concerned about having the methyl and methane on my face!

does anyone have any other suggestions of what I could use to add sulfur? (and where to find it!)

TIA!
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
hhhmmm... what about adding zinc sulfate? next question... where would I find it??
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
lulabelle, I add blackstrap molasses to my DIY shampoo, my Mane and Tail conditioner and my potions & lotions primarily for the sulfur because it is so good for skin & hair.

Ari

p.s. I can't help with the zinc, sorry.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:05 am      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
lulabelle, I add blackstrap molasses to my DIY shampoo, my Mane and Tail conditioner and my potions & lotions primarily for the sulfur because it is so good for skin & hair.

Ari

p.s. I can't help with the zinc, sorry.

Ari, how do you add it to your skincare? Would you mind sharing?

I have a huge jar of the stuff that I bought 'cos I know it's healthy.. but I dont like the taste.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi, catski

I love to share! I do a lot of DIY and add blackstrap molasses to my shampoo in place of honey. If you want to make your own shampoo, search for shampoo with author katee. You'll see a thread called "Katee's shampoo variations". That's the recipe. I've since refined that recipe - where I had 1/3 cup honey, I now use 3 tablespoons molasses. I add 1 TBSP. of the Molasses to the 8 oz. container of Mane and Tail Conditioner I keep in the shower.

If you just want to add the molasses to your existing shampoo, start with 1 TBSP. to a full or nearly full bottle of your shampoo. You can build up to about 3 tablespoons.

I only use the molasses in my night cream as it can make a very dark cream. I use 1/8 tsp. per 8 oz. of cream and apply only a thin layer. If you use more than that you'll stick to your pillow. You'll also want to cover your pillow with a towel or old pillowcase. I use this twice a week on the night after my daytime exfoliation with AHA/BHA or MaMa Lotion. What I mean is, if I exfoliate today, I'll use that night cream tonight. The next night I use the same nutrient cream without the molasses.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Ari.
It's not the easiest stuff to use, outside of shampoo, by the sound of it. I think maybe what I'll do is bypass the sticky pillow and try it as a face treatment,leave on for an hour or so, maybe with some yoghurt.
I'll see how it compares/ contrasts to honey.

Interesting, thankyou.
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your responses!

I didn't know molasses contained a sulfur compound -but i'll play around with that in some of my DIY skin care potions!

catski.. keep me posted on how it compares to honey - I'm also a big fan on honey and would love to find another cheap and readily available product to use!

anyone else have any other ideas of what sorts of products contain sulfur/sulphur?
BlitheCalamity

Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:06 am      Reply with quote
I am also curious about adding sulfur/sulphur to a DIY formulation. Does anyone know if it is supposed to be added to the water phase or the oil phase or after emulsion? I've been searching and am having a hard time finding any info on exactly where/when to add it.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
There are certain agricultural products that contain a great deal of free sulpher, but I doubt you want to put any of it on your skin. Smile

If you wanted to try it in a cleansing product, you could try to find a supplier that still offers red turkey oil. It's super retro. I know Snowdrift Farms used to sell it by even numbered ounces but they are out of business.

EDIT: I just realized how old this post is! Wow. Oh well, maybe other people will be interested now that it's been brought up.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Zinc sulfate works synergistically with ascorbic acid in topical skin products.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/982.html

http://purebulk.com/zinc-sulfate-monohydrate-powder.html#.U1KZc-ewIiU

5% products discount

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:14 am      Reply with quote
I have noticed that many of skin care products for acne prone skin contains sulfur. Is it really effective? Is it safe for daily use or not? Can anyone give me some product review that contains sulfur? And please give me the advantages and disadvantages of using it. Thanks!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |