Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Just say NO to Pantene!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:37 am      Reply with quote
So I got my hair cut last night by a good friend who works for a very reputable salon.

When I got done, she asked me what shampoo I was using. I just said usual drugstore stuff...Herbal Essence, Garnier Fructis, etc...essentially anything that's on sale.

She told me that was fine as long as I avoided anything by Pantene.
Why? Apparently Pantene can coat your hair so much that it blocks the cuticle and can literally STOP your HAIR from GROWING! She told me that other brands were good, but just to say NO to Pantene.

Just thought I should pass that along. She been doing hair for 8+ years and has an excellent education (she goes to class once a month to learn new things...and has since she got her advanced position on the floor 8 years ago...).

No Pantene! I was actually contemplating going back to this the next time I needed shampoo/conditioner because I like the smell. Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:03 am      Reply with quote
ACK! I bought some Pantene (Time Renewal) a few months back when my hair was getting really dry because I always remember Pantene rating well in all those polls in the magazines (best shampoo, etc.). I usually don't use drug store stuff but I was trying to save money.

I always thought my hair felt less dry when I used it ... but maybe it was because it was just coating it with something! I also bought their Ice Shine (I think that's what it's called) hairspray and mouse. Doesn't seem to work any better or worse than anything else I've used ... I was just trying to save money again.

Well, maybe I'll set aside my Pantene and use up my Bumble and Bumble for now. Smile
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:15 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great info, Paris! Actually, I used to buy whatever shampoo or conditioner was on sale at the drugstore, but I finally realized what a disservice I was doing my hair. I figured out that a good quality shampoo sometimes only costs a little bit more--- for example, Alba Hawaiian Honeydew Hairwash is hands down the best shampoo I've ever used, and it's on sale at drugstore.com right now for $6.71. I also love the Baby Bee shampoo and wash and again, it's only around $6. I also have Pureology's Volume Shampoo in my rotation--- it's way expensive, but I love the smell and since I rotate it it lasts longer, but quality-wise it's probably on par with my beloved Honeydew Hairwash. So ladies, do your hair a favor and kick Pantene to the curb--- there's better out there!

Edited to add: I forgot another high-quality, affordable classic: Nature's Gate Organics Shampoos and Conditioners. They come in yummy scents like Red Tea/Asian Pear and Lavender/Aloe, and they lather really well, plus they're only around $6 a pop.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Are you sure her word is very reliable?

I've been using pantene 2 in 1 for 6 years now (sometimes i try a new shampoo now and then) i think it leaves my hair well balanced
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
yes, I'm sure...she's very educated in haircare. She has taken intensive courses and has been in the hair business for almost ten years (cutting hair/styling for 8+). It probably doesn't happen to everyone. But the fact that she wasn't trying to pass off ALL drugstore brands as doing it...not trying to sell me anything, but instead just telling me to steer clear of this one brand, yes I trust her and credit her as reliable.

Now if she were trying to tell me that all drugstore haircare lines do this and only "said line" sold in her salon did not...then I might be cautious.
Plus, she's a good friend of mine. I don't think she'd pass along information that wasn't reliable. It's an ingredient Pantene includes in their product...maybe not in the 2 in 1, but in some of their other stuff.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
I've also heard this about Pantene several years ago from a reputable hairdresser, I haven't used pantene shampoo since!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you sooo much for this post Paris! I have been warning people of the evils of Pantene for ages! It's just the worst thing for your hair. Some people can use it for years and be ok.....like my mom. But then her hair started to get really dull and frizzy, and was thinning a little. I'm a self proclaimed hair care snob, so I only use Kerastase. I decided to do a little research into Pantene, and found out that it was nasty coating terrible stuff. It can work well for a time, until your hair starts to kind of disintegrate under all the coating, and sometimes fall out! I gave my dear mum the research, she stopped using it and switched to Fructis. Her hair got better, though not fixed totally. She has waist length hair, and refuses to cut off the Pantene damaged bottom half of her hair. Just for reference, she does not blow dry, heat style, or perm or dye her hair. I gave her a bottle of Kerastase Oleo Relax shampoo, and it looks a little shinier, though still rather damaged.

So please, for the sake of your hair, step away from the Pantene!!! Shame on you

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
moosette wrote:
I've also heard this about Pantene several years ago from a reputable hairdresser, I haven't used pantene shampoo since!

Got to second this. Last year when my hair started to leave in busloads, my stylist asked if I had switched to Pantene. I told her "No" and she said, "Well, don't. I thought maybe you had. I see a lot of women who have destroyed their hair with Pantene."

Ari

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
I also used Pantene a few years back after hearing all the hype, and after about 6 months, my hair never looked worse. I could actually feel the gunk in it esp. at the roots! Confused That's when I purchased a folli-cleanse product and changed brands. It took quite a while for my hair to finally regain its pre-Pantene health, and personally, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard that about Pantene before, too. Just stay away from it! Smile
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
whoaaa, it is a good thing that i'm a kerastase/phyto snob too! never would let that stuff touch my hair...

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Pantene gave me loads of dandruff and an itchy scalp.
It is vile stuff.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
That is scary how pantene can really stop your hair growth.. Good thing I don't use it. I heard head&shoulders is also bad for you.. My friend's dad uses it and said he got bald from it! Embarassed
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
I stopped using Pantene when I realized that it was giving me dry scalp.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
I was also told to stay away from it, by a hairdresser, which I found easy to do, as it made my scalp itch.
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
I hadn't heard any of this about Pantene, but stopped using it because it caused awful dandruff for me. No other shampoo does this to me!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
I do use only Salon namebrands...I was thinking of going back to drugstore brands of shampoos because my thought was that it is in your hair not for long and it goes down the drain. I got a cut today and we were just talking about that. My hairdresser said that Salon brands don't have a very high level of pH Confused I was not aware of that.
aramel
5% products discount

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
I also had been told by two different hairdressers that its the worst for permed hair, one even asked before she started if I used Pantene because the perm would probably not give the results that I wanted.
COMPTON
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
This probably could explain my dandruff problems recently but i am not postively sure it is comign from pantene because so many commercials i see of pantene with women known to having beautiful hair (kelly from regis and kelly) but i guess getting sucked into those adds is what it is about.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Glad I'm not the only one who heard this. Sounds like Pantene has caused even more complex problems than just clogging the cuticle! Stopping hair growth was enough to warrant caution from me, but I'll never buy it again (most definitely) after hearing some of the other problems it has caused!

Sad...I used to love it. However, i wonder if this also means one should stay away from the knock-off drugstore brands that have a similar formula (you know, the generic "Pro-Vitamin" Shampoo that has right on the label "Compare to Pantene Pro-V). I'll steer clear of that as well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard the same thing...that it was leaving a Waxy/sillicone residue on hair and that it was really bad for long term use. So I never use it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
COMPTON wrote:
This probably could explain my dandruff problems recently but i am not postively sure it is comign from pantene because so many commercials i see of pantene with women known to having beautiful hair (kelly from regis and kelly) but i guess getting sucked into those adds is what it is about.

Please don't be fooled by those silly Pantene commercials. Those models they show have never used the actual product a day in their life. That, I would be able to wager my life on!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
moosette wrote:

I was also told this over 10 years and have not used it since. But I do believe it is correct in what they are saying.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
mper1327 wrote:
COMPTON wrote:

Please don't be fooled by those silly Pantene commercials. Those models they show have never used the actual product a day in their life. That, I would be able to wager my life on!!

I was told that the models have a large amount of shine products plastered on their hair before the commercial is shot. I do have some Pantene shampoo's, darn it. So, any other shampoo's to add to the no use list?
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using the Pantene- thick and full shampoo and conditioner for years now. My hair is really healthy, and everytime I try to switch to a different- higher end salon brand (redken, AG, scrupples, etc) my hair looks flat and dull. I use blowdryer, flat iron every 2 days.

I haven't had any problems with Pantene at all, I actually get a lot of compliments on my hair.

What is the best salon brand shampoo that people have tried out there that gives thickness and volume to fine hair?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |