Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Just say NO to Pantene!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Face4ward
5% products discount

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Before any chemical hair processing (color, perm, etc.), you should always use a clarifying shampoo the day prior.

I learned this from the salon owner who used to do my highlights. He said everything you use on your hair can interfere with chemical processing, and he insisted that his customers wash their hair 24 hours prior to coming in, using a clarifying shampoo and NO conditioners. This also removes hard water build-up since it's not just product that interferes....water can also.

Mastey makes a good clarifying shampoo. Sally's has one specifically for hard water/well water. Malibu also has one.

It makes a world of difference in the way your hair color or highlights or perm turns out.

Regarding Pantene...they do make good conditioners that truly get out the tangles, which I think is better for hair than trying to rake through tangles and causing breakage. Conditioners don't go on the scalp...just on the hair -- starting about two inches away from the scalp.
architectra

Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Pantene has over 200 products, and many of them don't contain silicone-type ingredients. And lots of products contain silicon stuff. Some Garnier Fructis stuff, Head and Shoulders, Selson Blue, (lots of dandruff shampoos), White Rain, L'Oreal, Jason, Kerastase, Redken, Bumble and Bumble, Body Shop, Lacome, Rusk, etc. It's not some freaky ingredient that only Pantene uses.

I think the issue people have with Pantene is just that it's cheap. It's probably a little harsh and not beautifully formulated, but most people probably know when you pay $3.99 for it that it isn't going to perform any miracles.
lovemuffin

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Your hairdresser is a LIAR. She's been taught, and brainwashed into selling salon products for their industry. There is no way that The most Popular of any Brand including salon brands my Pantene is doing what these liars are spreading about it. The salons will never tell u that their ingredients are no better than pantene, or that the so called natural brands aren't really natural, the same with organic. I love Pantene. Pantene has saved my hair. It's so soft, and shiny, and silky and tangle free. Pantene is a very popular brand. the shelves at walmart are always empty of pantene bottles, and i'm sure that this makes the salon companies cringe..so they spread LIES. P&G puts millions of $ into Pantene research, and It's the only brand that I will ever use. LUV PANTENE.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Face4ward wrote:
Before any chemical hair processing (color, perm, etc.), you should always use a clarifying shampoo the day prior.

My colorist told me the opposite. He said you got better results if you had product on your hair. He was Stuart Gavert, colorist to the stars, who traveled all over the world teaching other colorists about color. I used to see Michelle Pfeiffer, Christina Applegate, Christine Lahti and another brunette actress (whose name escapes me ) in his salon. Sadly, Stuart passed away last year. I continue to see his former assistant who is just as good but cheaper.

As for Pantene, I've used their volumizing shampoo for years with no ill effects. My hair is healthy and shiny. Something you put on a dead hair cannot stop it from growing because hair grows from the live root. Sounds like a competitor put out that rumor.

Pantene used to be very expensive years ago so I was happy to see it sold in drugstores.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Face4ward wrote:

My colorist told me the opposite. He said you got better results if you had product on your hair. He was Stuart Gavert, colorist to the stars, who traveled all over the world teaching other colorists about color. I used to see Michelle Pfeiffer, Christina Applegate, Christine Lahti and another brunette actress (whose name escapes me ) in his salon. Sadly, Stuart passed away last year. I continue to see his former assistant who is just as good but cheaper.

As for Pantene, I've used their volumizing shampoo for years with no ill effects. My hair is healthy and shiny. Something you put on a dead hair cannot stop it from growing because hair grows from the live root. Sounds like a competitor put out that rumor.

Pantene used to be very expensive years ago so I was happy to see it sold in drugstores.

I was told to not wash your hair with shampoo prior to any colouring because the oil on your scalp actually protects it from the harmful chemicals you're putting on it.

And I agree pantene is pretty bad. My stylist took a couple strands of my hair and used scissors to scrape off all the silicones that were coating it. So while it may make your hair shiny and feel smooth, just know that it is because of the silicones that are covering your hair. And it is very possible that using hair products can affect your hair growth. That's how rogaine and all those hair regrowing products work. They literally seep into your scalp and stimulate it from the roots. Now whether ingredients in pantene can do that, I'm not entirely sure, but I am certain that it could do that to SOME extent at least. And if you think about it, your scalp has lots of large pores, so chemicals seeping in is very likely to me
sarsnake
5% products discount

Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
lovemuffin wrote:
Your hairdresser is a LIAR. She's been taught, and brainwashed into selling salon products for their industry. There is no way that The most Popular of any Brand including salon brands my Pantene is doing what these liars are spreading about it. The salons will never tell u that their ingredients are no better than pantene, or that the so called natural brands aren't really natural, the same with organic. I love Pantene. Pantene has saved my hair. It's so soft, and shiny, and silky and tangle free. Pantene is a very popular brand. the shelves at walmart are always empty of pantene bottles, and i'm sure that this makes the salon companies cringe..so they spread LIES. P&G puts millions of $ into Pantene research, and It's the only brand that I will ever use. LUV PANTENE.

You are both right and wrong. Your hair is silky and shiny because of silicones that are in Pantene. Silicones and their derivatives coat the hair and make it look health while preventing the moisture from entering your cuticle (hence no freeze) BUT in the long term is dries the hair.

You are correct though - MOST mainstream conditioners and shampoos (expensive ones too) contains these same ingredients, so no need to splurge on salon products.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
If you want to try organic/no-silicone products, there's one called Giovanni that's in drug stores. So far, it has been great for my hair. YOu can also try Kiehl's shampoo/conditioner.. they have an olive-oil base
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:03 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
yes, I'm sure...she's very educated in haircare. She has taken intensive courses and has been in the hair business for almost ten years (cutting hair/styling for 8+). It probably doesn't happen to everyone. But the fact that she wasn't trying to pass off ALL drugstore brands as doing it...not trying to sell me anything, but instead just telling me to steer clear of this one brand, yes I trust her and credit her as reliable.

Now if she were trying to tell me that all drugstore haircare lines do this and only "said line" sold in her salon did not...then I might be cautious.
Plus, she's a good friend of mine. I don't think she'd pass along information that wasn't reliable. It's an ingredient Pantene includes in their product...maybe not in the 2 in 1, but in some of their other stuff.

I'm not too sure because I know a lot of people who work in salons and they are not likely to reccomend "drugstore" items because they do not sell them there,lol

but I have had salon people tell me that for kids the L'oreal kids shampoos are good.

I find for myself stuff with silicone makes my hair more dry and flat.

I like Dessert Essense shampoo and conditioner when i can find it.

or Else Giovanii line is nice.

but recently I'm using a silicone free salon line called Curls and that is great Smile

I am also told by salon people that it is not good to buy the salon brands at a drugstore or grocery store because they are not authorized to sell those items.
anyways,I find Paul Mitchel and Tigi very expensive at the drugstore...usually $5 more than the salon prices!!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Pantene Pro V volumizing shampoo doesn't have silicones.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Pantene Pro V volumizing shampoo doesn't have silicones.

Good to know. I've heard the silicone/wax thing about Pantene for years but that is true of all drugstore conditioners. Works for some but not others.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
architectra wrote:
Pantene has over 200 products, and many of them don't contain silicone-type ingredients. And lots of products contain silicon stuff. Some Garnier Fructis stuff, Head and Shoulders, Selson Blue, (lots of dandruff shampoos), White Rain, L'Oreal, Jason, Kerastase, Redken, Bumble and Bumble, Body Shop, Lacome, Rusk, etc. It's not some freaky ingredient that only Pantene uses.

I think the issue people have with Pantene is just that it's cheap. It's probably a little harsh and not beautifully formulated, but most people probably know when you pay $3.99 for it that it isn't going to perform any miracles.

It's not really about whether or not they do have cones, it's about how much. I don't know, I just know that my hair stylist was able to show me how much gunk pantene leaves behind when she scraped stuff off my hair
Lyressa

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:52 am      Reply with quote
I have been a long-time user of Pantene and have loved it in the past, but I recently moved to Oklahoma where the water is horrible hard and Pantene is ruining my hair. I'm now forced to find another alternative because I can't use Pantene here. Just after one wash with another shampoo and conditioner meant for hard water areas, my hair is much better. So Pantene is great if you live in a soft water area.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I think there are a ton of waxes in it and that's why it looks so good short term- then looks immediately terrible once you stop using it. It should pass once the hair is healthy again..

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Oh my god. Thank u for ur advice
Lin1313
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:55 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I have learnt so much from this thread & everyone's posts, thank you.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
I believe it, over-hyped by celebrity advertising. I used it 30+ years ago when I was 15 or so and thought it was glamourous.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 am      Reply with quote
I think like most things sometimes you hear these things and it is scary - especially if coming from a hairdresser whose job it is to know these things but I agree most salons nowadays are out to sell products and that is not a good thing. I read recently about adding vegetable gelatin to shampoo and am going to try that soon!
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:40 am      Reply with quote
By the way their age defying hair mask is yummy. Smells delicious and leaves my hair looking and feeling great. I have very fine hair and it works a treat on mine without weighing it down.
bigsmilebigdreams
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Yes I switch from Pantene to Pureology shampoo and conditioner (purple bottle) and my hair have never look so good. No more freeze and so much more healthy. Expensive but worth it!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |