Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Just say NO to Pantene!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Doesn't Paula Begouin recommend Pantene? I remember seeing that before. I tried Pantene because I had read that it's salon quality at drugstore prices. However, I never really liked it. The coating weighed down my fine hair. I'm glad I stayed away!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
If you've had no problems, then you probably don't need to change anything. I'm not of the mind you HAVE to use a Salon shampoo...I normally just buy what is one sale.

This is the only brand I have been told to stay away from.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
skim wrote:
Doesn't Paula Begouin recommend Pantene? I remember seeing that before. I tried Pantene because I had read that it's salon quality at drugstore prices. However, I never really liked it. The coating weighed down my fine hair. I'm glad I stayed away!

It's funny as P begoun and I agree on quite a few skincare products - however, her recommendations for hair products were way off for my hair.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Pantene once and then threw it out. My hair felt like it had been coated rather than conditioned. I am always wary of products that make your hair feel like silk as it is probably just coated with something. It took 2 or 3 washes to get the feel of the wax out of my hair.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:30 am      Reply with quote
I've heard about the evils of Pantene before, from my hair colorist and from friends who have heard it from their hairdressers.

Honestly, I don't know that I buy into it all. I feel like all the hairdressers have taken the same class, read the same book, or been to the same seminar or something. It's not just a wild coincidence that they all have heard about this. But none ever seem to have much to back it up, beyond the general claim that it leaves a residue and will ultimately destroy your hair.

I think Pantene is just like any other shampoo. Some work for you, some don't. Some work for others, some don't. My hair was neutral on the Pantene. No love or hate. My sister, however, has been using the straight and sleek, or whatever it is called, for many many years, and has perfect hair. Literally - not a split end or frizz anywhere. Just perfection. And the hairdressers of doom may claim that Pantene giveth only to taketh away, but I think if anyone finds a shampoo that works consistently for over 4 years, it's pretty much an unqualified success.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I feel like Pantene started to take over a lot of the market, and this backlash began in response to that, with a bunch of rumors of how it will make you lose your hair. It's nonsense. If Pantene works for you, use it. If it doesn't, use something else.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi - I remember using Pantene in the past and thought I would check this out further. I haven't used any Pantene products in a long time though and I don't have a bias either way but I did find the link by two scientists rather interesting: http://thebeautybrains.blogspot.com/2006/07/beauty-q-is-pantene-good-or-bad-for-my.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:13 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link Mammamia-
I think I will stick to my pantene, I can't find any other shampoo (drugstore or salon) that works as well for my hair.

CG
curlylaura
5% products discount

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I used to use Pantene and it made my hair really fluffy and coated. I'm not going to use it again and the scent makes my eyes water.

Laura
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Figures! I just bought full-size bottles of Pantene Extra Volume Shampoo and Conditioner. Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:43 am      Reply with quote
I couldn't agree more! A year or so ago I used it & it really messed up my scalp - I'm still trying to "fix" it. I've been to the dermatologist a number of times, tried serums (prescription & not) & while my hair looks relatively healthy, it's thin & my scalp is dry as a bone. My last purchase was from the John Masters line. It seems to be working the best yet but it's been a discouraging process! I've spent hundreds of dollars trying to make things right.
So.....I'll always say NO to Pantene. Wink
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Pay attention to the link mammamia posted. It gives full details. I am a hairdresser and what it says is absoulutely true. It is hype, and hairdressers do tend to all spout that kind of thing. Pantene is no worse than any other OTC shampoo than any other hair care product. I don't work in the public anymore, and I still buy my products from the hair supply store. BUT have ran out from time to time, and used OTC and cannot tell any appeciable difference. But prefer the professional ones.

For those that have problems with it, it's no difference than anyone else having problems with any other brands. It just happens. But Pantene will not do anything to your hair root I can promise you that. It may coat your hair shaft in a way that may be unsuitable for your individual hair type is all.

To those I've seen posting saying it messed up your scalp up for ages, it VERY unlikely, it had to be something else, coincidence. it would not have lasted that long, the ingredients are the same as any other OTC product out there. If you are allergic to that, then you will be to most other produts out there.

Don't buy into "Urban Myth" Use what you like, and what works for you. Professional or not. Smile
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I used Pantene probably over 10 years ago. Only used 1 bottle, and found that I started having a flaking problem (and I don't have danduff and never did). Needless to say, I have never used it again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I have probably 20+ pantene at home. Oh, well..
jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:48 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your kind advice!
lorimcp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use Pantene everything, but then I switched to Garnier Fructis and although I didn't think my hair was any worse than usual with Pantene, I did think it has been a little better with Fructis. Is it the shampoo or conditioner or both this applies too?

Anyway, just like Canadian Girl I would like to know a good 'salan' quality shampoo for wavy thin hair.

Canadian Girl wrote:
I've been using the Pantene- thick and full shampoo and conditioner for years now. My hair is really healthy, and everytime I try to switch to a different- higher end salon brand (redken, AG, scrupples, etc) my hair looks flat and dull. I use blowdryer, flat iron every 2 days.

I haven't had any problems with Pantene at all, I actually get a lot of compliments on my hair.

What is the best salon brand shampoo that people have tried out there that gives thickness and volume to fine hair?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:09 am      Reply with quote
Paris--my sister and i were getting our haircuts and the lady asked my sister what shampoo she used and my sister told her pantene. she then told my sister yeah, you have very coated hair and it makes it dull because of all the cones in pantene. she told my sister she definitely needed to use clarifying shampoo 1-2 times a week to clear all the build up away!

i haven't used pantene in years because it irritates my scalp so much, but good advice!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:05 am      Reply with quote
Thats very interesting!

I cant live without pentene. Pentene is the only thing that keeps my hair smooth, even salon brand doesnt even compare. I've used it for years. and my hair grows really fast.

Mayb everyone is different.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:55 am      Reply with quote
why is it such a crappy product gets so much shelf space and all the really good products are hard to find!
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:44 am      Reply with quote
what is the ingredient name that pantene have that causing the coating? I got several other hair products and I am thinking of getting rid of the ones that are not good like Pantene.

I have
- biolage shampoo and conditioner
- lancome mask
- Sunsilk mask
- Loreal
- Paul Mitchell
- Samy.
- Nexxus Aloe Rid ( for getting rid of build up)
- Herbal Essence
- Jon frieda

I personally fond of Samy right now. Their extreme dry line is really good. I wonder if they will give coating as well.

TIA
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
My guess is that it would be the "panthenol" that is found in most Pantene hair products. After all, using that raw material back when it was first developed is how they chose the name "Pantene" (from "panthenol"). This material is an alcohol, but it is particularly thick and sticky and does deposit on the hair with use.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:54 am      Reply with quote
John C. Hill wrote:
My guess is that it would be the "panthenol" that is found in most Pantene hair products. After all, using that raw material back when it was first developed is how they chose the name "Pantene" (from "panthenol"). This material is an alcohol, but it is particularly thick and sticky and does deposit on the hair with use.

John

A particularly thick and sticky "alcohol" is not something I want on my hair. It is the only shampoo I've ever used that actually damaged my hair. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
THis has been hotly debated on here before, I think. I just know, from personal experience, that Pantene is not good. I bought a deep conditioner once, and it ruined my hair in one use. Left it gnarled and gross. I did use to use their clarifying shampoo back when i didn't know any better, and I think that would still be ok in small doeses, say once a week.

Also, Herbal Essences ruined my hair. I was using it for awhile, and then my hair started getting dry and snapping off mid-length. I went to the hairdresser and she said it was the Herbal Essences. I also got in trouble with some Aussie products once.

Good drugstore brands: Garnier, Neutrogena, and Tresemme. I stay away from everything else. I used to think Loreal did good products, but I tried their new line, and it's pretty bad.

I'd also like to note that just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's any good. It's really trial and error, finding what suits your hair type.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Now I know why my hair was so full of gunk!
Panthenol - Description
Panthenol is the alcohol form of pantothenic acid, more familiar as Vit. B5. In a living cell, panthenol is converted to pantothenic acid, which then becomes an important part of the compound "Coenzyme A", which is important in cellular metabolism.
In hair, which contains no living cells, it remains as panthenol. (does not convert)
Because it could become a vitamin IF it were ever to get to a living cell, it is marketed as a "provitamin" (there's the hype!) even though its effects as a vitamin are never used.

Because panthenol binds well to hair follicles, and attracts moisture from the air, it is a moisturizing agent used in shampoos and conditioners. It lubricates the hair without feeling greasy and smoothes out roughened hair surfaces, making them shiny and easier to comb.
Panthenol does not "nourish" the hair. It coats it to make it slippery. Ugh!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I purchased a folli-cleanse product

would you mind telling me what this was? I would be interested in de-clogging my scalp

thanks

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:38 am      Reply with quote
rosyface wrote:
Quote:
I purchased a folli-cleanse product

would you mind telling me what this was? I would be interested in de-clogging my scalp

thanks

Hi rosyface - I used a product called follicle cleanser from Healthy Hair Plus that I ordered off the net, but any good clarifying shampoo would remove the build-up just as well. Ask at a hair salon or maybe some of the other members would know a good over the counter product. Just get something that is specifically designed for purifying the scalp and root area.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |