Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Just say NO to Pantene!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
hmm!

This is such an interesting thread!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Tangerine
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
I don't believe pantene is worse than most shampoo brands out there, either the drugstore ones or the more expensive ones in salon. The ingredients you want to avoid are the ones ended with 'cones', those are silicone like material that will coat your hair. An easy way to tell whether a shampoo has it is to see the color, if it is transparent, then it is fine. The most inexpensive ones in drugstore, the Alberto Vo5 line, is clear and therefore safe to use.

if you do have build up on your hair, just try a clarify shampoo once a week. That will do.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Mammamia wrote:

So, I understand that this ingredient is good for living cells but I guess I'm curious as to why this ingredient is in so many hair care products if it does harm to the hair...or does it do any harm at all? Confused

Can anyone please help clear up my confusion? Thank you!

I don't believe panthenol does any harm, it is just that it coats the hair shaft to make it feel silky. There may be a case where some people have an allergy to panthenol because it would be getting onto their scalp and this may cause problems but in general the avoiding of panthenol is purely a personal choice.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
I agree...probably similar to those who avoid parabens, etc...personal choice.

If it works for you...go with it!
If not...no worries. There are tons of great shampoos/conditioners out there!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I'm going to cheat and skip through most of the posts on here and come back later to read them (I lack the time right now). So this may or may not be a repeated statement...

Whenever I see one of the Pantene commercials that claims that Pantene will make your hair look shiny and healthy, the thought crosses my mind that looking is a whole lot different from being.

Personally, I've never liked their shampoos and conditioners. I would use them every now and then when I would be at my friend's or on trips with teammates and didn't have my own shampoo with me. Each time I hated the way it made my hair feel and look.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
JTLee
5% products discount

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:41 am      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl, loved your post.

My own experience with Pantene has been some scalp irritation but I have that with a lot of hair products so it didn't stand out as being completely horrible for my hair.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:42 am      Reply with quote
Uh been reading the past few pages and am confused. Pantene definitely was bad for my hair, and only recently have I been made aware of how important it is NOT to have certain ingredients in shampoos and facial cleansers. However, I was just about to place an order on EDS for John Masters hair products and noticed that the 2 shampoos I had my eye on have panthenol! So.......?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure that panthenol is the ingredient that is causing people problems. We'd probably need someone like John to look it over and see which ingredients might be causing people to itch and get flakies.
There might be something else that is causing so many people this problem.

My own shampoo has panthenol in it. I use Bed Head from Tigi.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:33 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika, you are probably right that something other than the panthenol is causing problems. As a matter of fact, upon further review I think the panthenol is less of a problem than I previously thought and I'll tell you why. I was lucky enough to have a visit from the cosmetic chemist and industry consultant that taught me all I know about cosmetic chemistry. He was here yesterday and I brought up this question. He said that panthenol, being an alcohol, is more water soluble than you may think. Therefore, with typical washings and rinsings, the panthenol really shouldn't build up much on the hair.

He did say that "quaternium" and "polyquaternium" compounds that are put in shampoos and conditioners for the hair conditioning effect are really the materials that build up on the hair. He mentioned historical evidence with Pantene. He said in the beginning of this product they used Polyquaterium-10 (known as JR-400) as the conditioning agent. This material was found to build up heavily on the hair! They discontinued use of this polyquaternium compound and went to Polyquaternium-10 (known as LR-400....with "L" standing for "light"!). This tended to build up a lot less.

So, I would recommend this. Look at the ingredients in any shampoo that you feel is building up on the hair or leaving it dull and heavy. If there are several "quat" or "polyquaternium" compounds in it then they may be the reason for the build up (and flaking, since this stuff will eventually flake off with combing when dry).

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
John you're a real treasure when you can explain some of these ingredients. I have stumbled on a nice shampoo and conditioner which my hair seems to like and no panthenol, quat or poly compounds.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
John you're a real treasure when you can explain some of these ingredients. I have stumbled on a nice shampoo and conditioner which my hair seems to like and no panthenol, quat or poly compounds.

Ooooo do tell! Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Very useful posts...thanks for all the information. I am learning so much from the many well educated members on this forum! Very Happy
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
bushy wrote:

Ooooo do tell! Very Happy

Yes, please do! Wink

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried Jason brand shampoo and conditioner? I looked at the ingredients and seemed good.

http://www.vitacost.com/JasonShamanMoisturizingShampoo
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
Has anyone tried Jason brand shampoo and conditioner? I looked at the ingredients and seemed good.

Cherisse, DH and I both love Jason's Shampoos and conditioners. I've never tried the one you linked here, but it looks really nice, so if you try it let me know. DH uses Jason's Tea Tree Oil Shampoo every day and he says it's soothing to his scalp. I don't currently use any Jason hair care products but in the past I used Apricot shampoo and conditioner and just loved them. HTH!

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've used Pantene products in the past as well, with okay results for my hair, better than most other OTC brands. (I've since switched to Aveda products and absolutely love the results). My Pantene experience was very short term though because NOTHING IN THE WORLD makes my skin break out like that stuff. Anyone else have that???
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Liz. I am obviously in search of nice shampoo as I just now realize my Pantene sucks. Kerastase is awesome but I can't continue to spend $30 a bottle. grrrrrrr I'll let you know how I like it. I got it from Vitacost, so if I don't like it, I can return it. It's probably not worth returning though. It's not that much.

manslayerliz wrote:
Cherisse wrote:

Cherisse, DH and I both love Jason's Shampoos and conditioners. I've never tried the one you linked here, but it looks really nice, so if you try it let me know. DH uses Jason's Tea Tree Oil Shampoo every day and he says it's soothing to his scalp. I don't currently use any Jason hair care products but in the past I used Apricot shampoo and conditioner and just loved them. HTH!
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
Vonstella and Amnis, it is Neways Silken Shampoo and Exuberance Conditioner.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:50 am      Reply with quote
Liz - I was wondering who is DH? (That happens to be my ex-husband's initial, but I doubt you know him. haha)

manslayerliz wrote:
Cherisse wrote:

ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
DH usually means "Dear Husband" on forums and in blogs. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:

I'm a big Jason liquid hand soap and shower and bath gel fan. I've tried the tea tree shampoo and conditioner and the Rose Glycerine S & C but found the scents way too strong. I can't remember how they worked on my hair b/c I couldn't stand the scents (they were just over powering and I am sensitive to smells even if they're all natural).

Btw, have you ever tried Giovanni shampoos and conditioners? If you have, I was wondering what your opinion is on how the Giovanni and Jason compare. I've tried a few Gionvanni S & C and didn't find them moisturizing enough. However, I really liked the Magnetic Energizing Shampoo- good, subtle, clean scent, moisturizing and brought shine to my hair. Perhaps just their conditioners aren't moisturizing enough for my hair.

Be sure to let us know how you like this particular Jason shampoo you ordered, though! I am curious, as always, about non sulfate etc shampoos. Wink

amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
Vonstella and Amnis, it is Neways Silken Shampoo and Exuberance Conditioner.

Looks like Neways is not available in the US. Sad

blaziamm
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Kiehl's recently. Though it is expensive, I find it really helps with my branched hair.
everella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
So I got my hair cut last night by a good friend who works for a very reputable salon.

When I got done, she asked me what shampoo I was using. I just said usual drugstore stuff...Herbal Essence, Garnier Fructis, etc...essentially anything that's on sale.

She told me that was fine as long as I avoided anything by Pantene.
Why? Apparently Pantene can coat your hair so much that it blocks the cuticle and can literally STOP your HAIR from GROWING! She told me that other brands were good, but just to say NO to Pantene.

Just thought I should
pass that along. She been doing hair for 8+ years and has an excellent education (she goes to class once a month to learn new things...and has since she got her advanced position on the floor 8 years ago...).

No Pantene! I was actually contemplating going back to this the next time I needed shampoo/conditioner because I like the smell. Embarassed

Hi ParisTrioka,

Have a look at the following link:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/04/03/is-pantene-putting-plastic-on-your-hair/

I'm unsure of its validity. However, I have used Pantene in the past and have long hair. I do believe one needs to change shampoo every 6 months or so as they seem to become ineffective.
yoyo-mami
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:20 am      Reply with quote
"DH" Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |