Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Nivea v Creme de La Mer
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
Rjez wrote:
sarahb wrote:
Since when has stewed seaweed been miraculous? Wink

Dunno, but sea kelp bioferment is my HG of all products. I mix in creams, cleanser, shampoo and use it every day as a leave-in conditioner. Check out the thread 'rave for sea kelp bioferment' to see more uses.

Ok, good...so maybe it is not crap...because I swear, when I used this - WOW - my skin really looked good..all this talk about it makes me kind of want to buy a jar Embarassed (like I need it...) Rolling Eyes
Pudoodles

{{{buy it, buy it, buy it}}} Bad Grin
I think if your skin is really dry CDLM works, but for most, your just not going to see a difference. In my 30's the SA even warned me that she thought my skin wouldn't show any difference.

The sea kelp bioferment is different because it's concentrated. I think you're basically taking out 99% of the fillers in CDLM.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="RjezSAS = SkinActives.

Go to Skinactives.com and click on "Kits". They also have a list of the "active" ingredients for many popular/high priced items so you can mix up your own version.

Thanks for the compliment - it's mostly genetics but I've abused my skin for 40 years so I'm getting nervous.[/quote]

I think buy the time I buy the SAS kit, pay for shipping, factor in the conversion rate, and then pay PST, GST and duties- it will have cost me the same as a jar of CDLM! I wish I lived in the states!

I think I might break down and buy a jar of the CDLM, since a lot of you are saying it works well. I looked at the Nivea yesterday and am afraid that it will make me break out. Oh well- maybe I will try the $5.00 before I break the bank on CDLM!
queenmary
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:44 am      Reply with quote
thanks for share. but i still want to try lamer. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:13 am      Reply with quote
It doesn't seem to make any difference to my skin. The only time when I use it now is when my skin is particularly dry as it's so thick it seems to hydrate my skin, but that's the only difference I've seen.
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the Nivea on their face, if so which kind, there is the original and the Nivea "soft".

Thanks
CG
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
sarahb wrote:
Wow thats interesting. And there I was thinking La Mer was a 'miracle broth'! Wink

The "miracle broth" that is mentioned for CdlM is really the sea kelp and fermentation process (or something like that).

Rjez, since you've tried both - how does the copy cat version compare to the real CDLM? Doyou make your version according to the one on the website? I have some biokelp and I'm trying to find a use for it besides hair wash.

Also, is the Nivea the original one in the blue tin?
Angyl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Are those ingredients for the German kind or the Mexican kind? SUpposedly the german kind is better...although I can't remember why.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:34 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Skincare,

This is brilliant!!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

La mer is, in my opinion, one of the biggest hoaxes in the skincare business... When I worked at an agency that represents mu artists who do lots of celebs, they overwhelmed us with full size gratis... They also give it out in droves as swag... Celebs do use it, but they don't know or care what is in it... which amounts to a bunch of garden variety chemicals. I can't even believe that they just list "algae gel" as the main ingredient--what kind of algae gel? You might as well just put vaseline on your face.

Anyways, thanks for this.

--avalange

Pray claps
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
[quote="RjezSAS = SkinActives.

Go to Skinactives.com and click on "Kits". They also have a list of the "active" ingredients for many popular/high priced items so you can mix up your own version.

Thanks for the compliment - it's mostly genetics but I've abused my skin for 40 years so I'm getting nervous.

I think buy the time I buy the SAS kit, pay for shipping, factor in the conversion rate, and then pay PST, GST and duties- it will have cost me the same as a jar of CDLM! I wish I lived in the states!

I think I might break down and buy a jar of the CDLM, since a lot of you are saying it works well. I looked at the Nivea yesterday and am afraid that it will make me break out. Oh well- maybe I will try the $5.00 before I break the bank on CDLM![/quote]

I remember about 2 years ago, Mabsy stated how Dr. Hauschka's Rose Day Cream gave her the same sort of glow that CDLM gave her...I never forgot her saying that....Recently (about 2 months ago) I picked up a tube at Sephora (having never forgotten what Mabsy said) and guess what? What Mabsy said is true (not that I doubted her..)....The Rose Day Cream imparts a really nice glow to the skin...like your skin's motor has been revved up or something...It doesn't encourage the type of "rosiness" you get from retinols (ouch!) nor does it tingle...not at all...It goes on like a dream and leaves the skin looking glowy! And I mean on the first application! This stuff is glorious! BUT oily/combo skins stay away - this is for the drier skins out there...Before caving in and buying La Mer, maybe give the Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream a shot (Thanks, Mabsy!)
Puds
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Pudoodles,
Thanks for the info on the Dr. H Cream, I will definately check it out at sephora (try a sample first) the next time I am in the states (unfortunatley we don't have a sephora in the vancouver area).

But I can check and see if EDS carries it as well.
Thanks a bunch!
CG
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:

Rjez, since you've tried both - how does the copy cat version compare to the real CDLM? Doyou make your version according to the one on the website? I have some biokelp and I'm trying to find a use for it besides hair wash.

I actually haven't tried both. I've tried the original CDLM and currently have the lotion. I use the sea kelp bioferment in EVERYTHING so I figure the SAS kit is probably pretty darn good. I will order it when my CDLM lotion runs out.

I adore using the sea kelp bioferment mixed with my Pearatin Hair Serum as a hair leave-in in the mornings, sea kelp in the KGF Hair Serum twice daily, sea kelp to any face cream, sea kelp as a mask, sea kelp with castor oil to cleanse and remove makeup ... it's really my new Holy Grail product.

Canadian Girl - d'uh, I keep forgetting that most people are not in the U.S. ... d'uh. Anyway, I suggest asking an SA for a sample. It really is an expensive item if it doesn't work for you.

Pudoodles - That's interesting about the Rose Cream. I remember Estee Lauder had a Rose Mask years ago. It was very moisturizing and I loved the rosy glow it gave my skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
HI Rjez,

How much Sea kelp do you add to your face cream etc? I'm looking for easy uses for a jar that I currently have (Plleeeeaassee don't send me to the Skinactives page, it's too scary!!!! ) I like the idea of using it to remove make-up. And, do let us know how the copy cat compares to the real thing, in your opinion.

Cat
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cat,

I know what you mean about the SAS site ... so freaking confusing, no wonder everyone just experiments! It's about as helpful as Skinbio.

Anyway, just copied this from SAS regarding sea kelp bioferment:
Quote:
Sea kelp bioferment: Fucus vesiculosus is a sea macroalgae rich in caragenaan, algin, minerals and many active chemicals. Fermentation makes the cell contents of this algae readily available to your skin, moisturizing it and providing the nutrients required to synthesize new components. This is the key ingredient (the Miracle Broth™) in Crème de la Mer, Fucus vesiculosus is fermented by the same microorganisms that convert milk into yoghurt. Complement this active with rosehip or black cumin seed oils to supply the essential fatty acids required to maintain cell integrity.

Their CDLM knock off is: basic cream, sea kelp bioferment and anti-ox.

Since I add skbioferment to just about everything I just add a heaping teaspoon per oz? Sorry, I don't have any formulas ... that's too organized for me! I have seen a recipe with 1 oz sea kelp to 3 oz Canvas cream, then a few drops of different oils and anti-ox, etc.

You could check the "rave for sea kelp bioferment" thread for recipes. I think it's one of those things that you can't hurt yourself if you add too much. I know some people use it straight on their face. I do that for a mask but it dries like egg whites.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Rjez! Wink
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Am I late to this party! Cool I only read about the Nivea Creme/Creme De La Mer comparisons last night!!

Apparently the German version is better as it doesn't have petroleum as an ingredient. I was fortunate enough to find Hamburg-made Nivea Creme in Poundland yesterday (imported from Poland). My face is recovering from my Efudix experiment, but, something for me to try in a little while!

Can't find anything about it on the net, though, from people who have used them side-by-side for comparison. I can't afford the "real thing" (and I don't mean Coca-Cola!).

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2010 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
One comparison I did find: Nivea Versus Creme De La Mer: http://karenthurman.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/creme-de-la-mer-vs-nivea-the-results/

I'd rather spend the £70+ change and buy the Nivea Creme! The Poundland Polish-imported blue tub I got is 50ml, which would make it a measly £5! equivalent for the 250ml she used.

Nivea Creme originates from Germany, apparently. Wonder why the formula is different in other countries, re the petroleum?

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 1:10 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to burst your bubble here ljk but German Nivea Cream does contain petroleum-based ingredients.

Aqua, paraffinum liquidum, cera microcristallina, glycerin, lanolin alcohol (eucerit), paraffin, panthenol, decyl oleate, octyldodecanol, aluminum stearates, citric acid, magnesium sulfate, magnesium stearate, parfum, limonene, geraniol, hydroxycitronellal, linalool, citronellol, benzyl benzoate, cinnamyl alcohol.

paraffinum liquidum = mineral oil
cera microcristallina = a hydrocarbon (from crude oil) wax
pariffin = also from crude oil
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 8:18 am      Reply with quote
You can tell I fell asleep during chemistry classes. I actually thought that paraffin was related to petroleum somehow but wasn't sure.

Oh well, only a pound! Wonder why all the sites deem the German version superior/closest to the Creme De La Mer ingredients? Maybe it's an internet myth that has grew legs over time

AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Having tried the real thing, not impressed over the long haul. I was at first but then the milia and cystic acne came.
I use Aquaphor and don't break out at all with the same results so i will try the Nivea.
I did like the smell though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Just as an aside, those wanting to try CDLM samples, there's stories of people using Nivea creme in the tubs and selling them on ebay as the real thing.

Apparently Creme De La Mer is "off-white" and Nivea Creme is bright white. http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Health-Beauty/Question-On-The/2000438401

rhea
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Well, LA MER cream is right for me, when I reverse or long-distance travel day and night, I can not leave it, it made my skin stability
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried this product that probably moisturizes as well as La Mer.

Burts Bees Cocoa butter and Macadamia body butter.

I usually use it onmy arms,but thought it absorbed very well.
I tried it on my cheeks,nose and forhead area as they are quite dry sometimes.
My skin is different almost every week or 2...super annoying.

But I thought it was actually nicer than most thick facw creams, and did not burn my skin like Clinique Moistue surge.
Also costs $10-15 for a big jar.

Anyway,if you can test it out it is a nice cream.
I don;t think my skin needs tons of moisture every day,but this feels so refreshing and nice.

http://global.burtsbees.com/natural-products/body-moisturisers/rich-and-repairing-cocoa-butter-macadamia-nut-oil-body-butter.html

Ingredients: water (aqua, eau), helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, stearic acid, glycerin, beeswax (cera alba, cire d'abeille), sesamum indicum (sesame) seed oil, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, macadamia ternifolia (macadamia) seed oil, rosa canina (rosehips) seed oil, fragrance (parfum), salix nigra (willow) bark extract, borago officinalis (borage) seed oil, xanthan gum, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, tocopherol, alchemilla vulgaris (lady’s mantle) leaf extract, plantago lanceolata (plantain) leaf extract, calendula officinalis flower extract, sucrose stearate, retinyl palmitate, sodium borate, chlorphenesin, phenoxyethanol

No idea if it will be anti aging as I've only be using a few weeks on the cheek area mostly.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Angyl wrote:
Are those ingredients for the German kind or the Mexican kind? SUpposedly the german kind is better...although I can't remember why.

I read the same thing but also don't remember what the difference was and did not follow through to get the German kind. The German stuff is supposed to be like CDLM:
http://blogdorfgoodman.blogspot.com/2008/03/40-days-and-40-nights-of-beauty-cult_03.html

I used the regular U.S. Nivea the last couple of years and stopped due to the petroleum products; ie mineral oil. Am now just slathering my face with olive oil.

You can get German Nivea at smallflower.com
:http://www.smallflower.com/nivea/
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Which Nivea Creme are you guys talking about? Not the old-fashioned blue-tub Nivea Shock ? My grandmother only used that and was slathering it on her face every morning in a thick layer. I can't believe that is the Nivea you are talking about. Please do let me know Laughing .

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
Avalange,

your post gave me a good laugh Razz and reminded me of my mother:)

She actually slathers vaseline on her face and elbows every day,but uses sunscreen too.

She is 60 and actually has nice skin!
people think she is 40 and her husband is 70-so they always get "dirty looks" from strangers.

Now add my sister and I visiting and going out to dinner and strangers give even more bad looks Laughing

I really wanted to buy Creme de lamer years ago, but now realize it is not for my skin type.
Fraagrance, mineral oil and petroleum jelly would wreck my skin...

Hey,

did you guys know that petroleum jelly also goes under the name "lilly white gel" and sometimes I've seen it called "mineral gel" trying to trick people
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |