Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My skin gets BETTER BEFORE my period
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Julsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
I am curious if anyone else's skin behaves the same way. As far as I know, most women's skin worsens before their period due to changes in hormone levels. Mine however improves in the two weeks before and worsens straight after. By "improves" I mean a lot of my spots clear up. This leads me to think that it is a hormonal problem, but the opposite to most women. My skin has improved significantly after I started using Dr Hauschka but I guess it can't eliminate the problems caused by hormones. I have taken different BC pills over the years, including those that are supposed to improve your skin, but some of them actually made it worse. I am not taking any now. I've asked my GP about getting my hormones tested but she says that won't do any good. I don't want to go to a dermatologist because from previous exp and what I've heard from others, they either prescribe Accutane or antibiotics.
Does anyone else's skin behave the same way? And has anyone found a successful treatment?
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I was the only one! My skin acts the exact same way. It's been like this for as long as I remember. I switched to Dr H about 6 months ago and I'm very pleased with the results but my skin still gets better in the week or two before and during my period. About four months ago I started BC pills but I honestly can't say that alone has made much of a difference.

Did your GP tell you why getting your hormones tested won't do any good? I've been to two derms long time ago and was not impressed at all. I'm sure there are brilliant derms out there but I'm afraid to try again.

What kind of break outs are you getting? I had very bad cystic acne for years that would get better before my period. By better I mean that I wouldn't get any new ones but as soon as my period ended then I'd usually get a new one every day or two. My chin was usually covered in them. My skin still behaves in that same cycle but my cystic acne was caused by my thyroid being underactive. As long as my thyroid levels are good I never get cysts.
Julsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
The GP said that a hormone test would just show the hormone level at that stage of my cycle and not ctually indicate anything. I think maybe getting a test every week or so to see how the hormone levels change with my cycle would be good, but who can I get to prescribe such a test?! The GP doesn't want to. I was thinking about going to an enocrynoligist or a women's health clinic, maybe they will be able to do something.
My breakouts are mainly along the jaw line and on the side of my face, mostly on the right side for some reason. I don't get cysts, just inflamed red bumps, sometimes filled with pus. They always reappear in the same spots. They either don't heal at all, or if they do, they come back right away. Arrgh!!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:23 am      Reply with quote
The only time I get spots is just before my period.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:32 am      Reply with quote
I don't know about spots, but water retention's lovely on me.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:43 am      Reply with quote
It's the same for me, well not quite. Sometimes I get the spots before, sometimes after, and I don't know why. However my period is regular - like straight on the dot type regular and I'm also on Alesse for contraception purposes (not acne purposes). It's always been like this for me, even prior to starting BCP so it doesn't make much sense. I never thought about getting hormone tests done because the cause of my acne is pretty obvious - hormonal, but what can they really do about it? They will probably end up prescribing the same things with or without such tests. That's mho anyways. I don't see a difference in the type of acne I get though, sometimes I get a few cystic ones, sometimes just regular blemishes, the most I get per month of cystic ones are usually 2-3, moreso for the regular blemishes. I've had other tests done like thyroid, etc but everything came back normal so I'm pretty sure it's mainly the hormones thing.
Julsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:55 am      Reply with quote
I believe there are some hormone imbalance treatments, including natural treatments. I'm going to do some further research into it and hopefully see someone about it soon. Fingers crossed I will get somewhere!
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:50 am      Reply with quote
I have dry skin, before period, I will have one or two spots of acne that disappear in one or two days, but I love the feeling of my skin overall, they are much more radiant and moistured compared to after period.
s31pr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:06 am      Reply with quote
My skin breaks out a tiny bit on strange times as well.

I usually don't get spots before my period or during my period.

I usually notice my skin very oily and thus break out a bit the second week of my cycle. This started happening when I started on BC pills.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:25 am      Reply with quote
I think i have the ugliest looking during the week before my period. skin looks dull with breakouts on my forehead, face and body bloated because of water rention. yuck!
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:39 am      Reply with quote
I'm perimenopausal these days (having my first period since September right now). When I was younger, I'd have PMS types of breakouts, but they were annoying little pimples, not cysts like I get now. Except now I get the cysts around the time I would be ovulating, not right before my period actually starts.

Don't you just love what hormones can do to a body????

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:16 am      Reply with quote
My skin gets very dry and doesn't hold make-up well during the week before my period...It seems though, that as soon as I start to bleed my skin starts to improve...My skin always looks its best the week OF and the week AFTER my period.. I also retain alot of water - I'm pretty much a blowfish until my first day of bleeding.
Pudoodles
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:21 am      Reply with quote
The day of my period my skin gets really dry around my eyes. Strange.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Yes it's just as I thought, I seem to be in the minority, most women's skin worsens before and gets better after. I guess this is why BC have either not worked on me or made my skin worse Confused
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Julsey wrote:
Yes it's just as I thought, I seem to be in the minority, most women's skin worsens before and gets better after. I guess this is why BC have either not worked on me or made my skin worse Confused

I'm with you Julsey...lol I call it the 'calm before the storm'. I get breakouts during my period or towards the end.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:36 am      Reply with quote
Same here, I get spots is just before my period, and i use some oil-control skincare for that.
Julsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:27 am      Reply with quote
I always fall into the same trap - try new skincare during the "clear" time and think that it's working, only to realise later that it was just my skin doing its thing and the new product had nothing to do with it!
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:36 am      Reply with quote
my skin worsen before my period
i get spots near my forehead before period
Allie82
5% products discount

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:12 am      Reply with quote
could it be correlated to a person's diet? Mine is more of an ebb and flow, one month my skin will be flawless before my period, the next month, major break out. so i wonder if it has to do with my diet or drinking plenty of fluids, both of which I am inconsistent like a yo-yo dieter.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
If you have a hormonal imbalance (not something you necessarily need to have treated medically), it can cause bad skin around ovulation.
*disclaimer..not a doctor*
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
do u mean hyperthyroid or hypothyroid?
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
My skin has been changing due to hormonal change. Before I was on BCP my face was clear however my back and chest were acne prone. When i started taking BCP my back and chest acne totally cleared up and I would get a bit of pimples on my face. Sometimes my face would worsen the week before my period but lately my face has looked better a week before my period. Also as of lately after not having acne on my back and chest for years... it has started up again. Now i have really bad acne on my back. I dont know how to cure my back acne now. In another thread, ppl were mentioning head & shoulders on my back and chest... i've tried it yesterday (i guess i need more times to test it out)
Im thinking of comming off BCP now and maybe my skin will clear up
Julsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
I think mine is a different type of hormonal imbalance since my skin does the opposite to everyone else.

In my case I don't believe it's diet related - I watch what I eat and stay away from foods that aggravate my skin, like dairy, junk food and sugar. And I drink 2 litres of water a day!

BCGirl - when I went off BCP my skin did get better but not cleared up completely obviously. I have mild acne on my back and I actually started using H&S on it a couple of days ago! No major improvement yet since I've only used it a few times, but I think my skin has improved slightly, and I haven't had any new spots pop up. So I say give it a go Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |