Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

repost: please help my hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:09 am      Reply with quote
originally posted on the diy board, but it's only a little but diy-related, so I'm reposting it here.

Help!

Hello everyone,

As some of you may already know, I've been experiencing major hair issues since I moved to Paris. My hair, which used to be glossy and bouncy and perfectly healthy, is now a frizzy, dull mess, and seems at the point of possible breakage.

I was under the impression that it was the chlorine in my water supply that was causing this change, since I myself am not doing anything different to my hair. I bought a vitamin c shower filter, which is supposed to neutralize chlorine, and my hair has only gotten WORSE! I must also say that it gets lighter with each washing.

I do not blow dry my hair or put anything into it. I take excellent supplements that make it grow like a weed. I use Kerastase or Phytojoba. I wash my hair only twice a week and brush with a natural bristle brush to distribute oils on the hair shaft three times a week, and before I wash my hair. I drink lots of h2o, eat green leafy vegetables and lots of good fats (I'm in paris, mind you). The last two times I washed my hair, here is what I did:

Phyto pre-shampoo oil treatment
Phytojoba shampoo for dry hair
Phytojoba dry hair conditioning mask

night treatment with pure coconut oil
phytojoba shampoo
phytojoba mask as above with dollop of honey and two dollops of olive oil
avc honey rinse (1 tbspn avc and honey in a medium evian bottle full of filtered water)

You guys, my hair is worse than ever. it is crunchy. No shine at all. Hanging down lipmly and lifelessly in tangly scrags. I'm patiently waiting on carekate's rosemary hair serum, but now I think it might not even work for me, since my hair did not respond to the above treatments!

Please help!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Actually I've the same problem! I moved from Norway to Switzerland and noticed a major change in my hair. In Switzerland the water in general is "harder" than in Norway. It contains a lot more minerals, especially in the spring when the snow is melting. So the Swiss water makes my hair dull and tangeld. Mad So far nothing has helped except using lemonjuice or ACV in the water when I rinse for the last time.

I was so happy while I was in Norway during Christmas. My hair became soft and shiny again at once when I washed it...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Schnee,

Update: I purchased a magnetic thing that somehow changes the polarity of the calcium ions in the pipes, that is SUPPOSED to make the water less calcified. After some research, I think that this is what is making my water so 'hard.' I will keep you posted regarding any changes, but I might just go and get one of those glossing treatments on my hair to make it less porous... Neutral

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Oh Avalange, I feel horrible for you - you sound so distressed - and rightly so. You might end up feeling more frustrated because you are going to get a mountain of suggestions here - with mine being one of the first Confused ..I've always had trouble with my hair..it was the worst when I moved up to Northern British Columbia...but I can't say it was crunchy (I feel terrible for you..)...On good days, my hair was mediocre - not anything to look at, really...and I used excellent salon products (I used SO MANY different lines to soften my hair which was course but still fine - not really thick - very prone to tangling and breakage)...My hair today is gorgeous - and I'm not shy to say it. I'm using the Ojon line of products. My hair shines without even putting shine enhancers on it...the key (IMHO) is the Ojon paste. It is this stinky stuff that smells kind of like cigarettes and coffee beans. You leave it on as long as you like - then rinse out and style..you can even rub half a pea-size of the paste and distribute through your hair before styling...this stuff has absolutely transformed my hair. I swear by it. I wish I could mail some to you!! I was just thinking: Is there anyone you can talk to about this in Paris? Are there alot of women walking around with the same problem as you? I just feel terrible for you!
Pudoodles
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles,

I'm kicking myself right now!!!! I worked in my previous line of work this summer, as an agent, and the JI rep sent us tons of gratis for our mu artists to try, and kept wanting to send a huge gratis order of ojon, but I was always putting off her emails, since we got boxes full of kerastase, phyto, and bumble and bumble right before i left... Too bad, I could have some ojon paste to try right now! I would have already tried it... Mad

Anyways, it's funny you mention that I should talk to other women. I'm not sure if it is a nutritional thing or what, but the majority of women here seem to be losing their hair at an alarming rate. I swear I see just as many balding women as men here. It's TERRIFYING. It might just be the effects of bad dye jobs, but perhaps it's the water, too!!!!
To add insult to injury, however, today when I went out with my crunchy hair, all I saw were glossy, thick mops of shiny, long hair wherever I went... Hopefully my new magnetic gadget works.

--avalange

Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:59 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Pudoodles,

I'm kicking myself right now!!!! I worked in my previous line of work this summer, as an agent, and the JI rep sent us tons of gratis for our mu artists to try, and kept wanting to send a huge gratis order of ojon, but I was always putting off her emails, since we got boxes full of kerastase, phyto, and bumble and bumble right before i left... Too bad, I could have some ojon paste to try right now! I would have already tried it... Mad

Anyways, it's funny you mention that I should talk to other women. I'm not sure if it is a nutritional thing or what, but the majority of women here seem to be losing their hair at an alarming rate. I swear I see just as many balding women as men here. It's TERRIFYING. It might just be the effects of bad dye jobs, but perhaps it's the water, too!!!!
To add insult to injury, however, today when I went out with my crunchy hair, all I saw were glossy, thick mops of shiny, long hair wherever I went... Hopefully my new magnetic gadget works.

--avalange

Avalange - you sound like you are someone who has "all the right connections" -- why don't you "send a few emails"....maybe someone can send you some -- it is worth a try!
Pudoodles
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
Oh Avalange, I feel horrible for you - you sound so distressed - and rightly so. You might end up feeling more frustrated because you are going to get a mountain of suggestions here - with mine being one of the first Confused ..I've always had trouble with my hair..it was the worst when I moved up to Northern British Columbia...but I can't say it was crunchy (I feel terrible for you..)...On good days, my hair was mediocre - not anything to look at, really...and I used excellent salon products (I used SO MANY different lines to soften my hair which was course but still fine - not really thick - very prone to tangling and breakage)...My hair today is gorgeous - and I'm not shy to say it. I'm using the Ojon line of products. My hair shines without even putting shine enhancers on it...the key (IMHO) is the Ojon paste. It is this stinky stuff that smells kind of like cigarettes and coffee beans. You leave it on as long as you like - then rinse out and style..you can even rub half a pea-size of the paste and distribute through your hair before styling...this stuff has absolutely transformed my hair. I swear by it. I wish I could mail some to you!! I was just thinking: Is there anyone you can talk to about this in Paris? Are there alot of women walking around with the same problem as you? I just feel terrible for you!
Pudoodles

I was actually going to suggest the same thing. We have very hard water here too, and my hair has become much more healthy and shiny since I've been using the Ojon products. It actually hasn't looked this good in years!
I also use Pureology, and I find it equally as good!
Really dry hair is so hard to manage. Although I don't think my hair has ever been quite that dry, it's probably been pretty close at times. Confused Great hair care products made all the difference for me, and I hope you find a solution for your problem. Good Luck! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Those Ojon products sounds amazing! I want some! Where do I get it? Somewhere I can order online? Smile

*I want my soft and shiny hair back!*

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Schnee wrote:
Those Ojon products sounds amazing! I want some! Where do I get it? Somewhere I can order online? Smile

I'm telling ya' Schnee - I can't believe how flippin' good my hair looks!!! It is almost bizarre! My hair "almost" looks like TV shampoo commercial hair - I CANNOT believe it!If you are in Canada you can order it at the Shopping Channel..it is being featured on Wednesday as the "Today's Showstopper" - so it will be sold at an awesome price...I'll be stocking up for sure!! Oprah Winfrey is supposed to love this stuff...It is MAGIC for me!
Pudoodles
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
avalange wrote:
Pudoodles,

--avalange

Avalange - you sound like you are someone who has "all the right connections" -- why don't you "send a few emails"....maybe someone can send you some -- it is worth a try!
Pudoodles

Pudoodles,

Next time I talk to them, I'll tell them my plight... but they all seem to think that there is nothing better than kerastase. Of course I reap the rewards when I'm actually working in the business, but now I'm halfway across the world working on a dissertation, and I'd feel a little pigheaded demanding that they order ojon and send it to me, when the orders are placed for the 'artists,' i.e. hair and makeup artists to use on their clients. kerastase sends so much, however, and on such a regular basis, I normally can take whatever I want Smile

eta: kismet!!!!!!!!!!! My former boss just emailed me and wants me to do some 'translation' work for Christophe Robin, a colorist here in Paris, who has his own line of hair products!!!! they are atwww.colorist.net. I'll definitely be hitting him up tomorrow!!! He does Catherine Deneuve's hair! Razz

--avalange

m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi avalange - I think your idea about water filters is probably key to solving your problem. A lot of us experience hair problems when we travel or relocate because of the change. But the Vit.C filter sounds iffy to me (only because I know Vit.C sera applied to the face can be drying) -- the other one seems more apt. If it doesn't help, maybe a plain old water-softening filter could help. Geez, you're using Kerastase and Phyto which are IMO great products.

And I wonder if the water there can play havoc with not only hair but skin as well. Have you noticed any changes on that front?
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
Schnee wrote:

I'm telling ya' Schnee - I can't believe how flippin' good my hair looks!!! It is almost bizarre! My hair "almost" looks like TV shampoo commercial hair - I CANNOT believe it!If you are in Canada you can order it at the Shopping Channel..it is being featured on Wednesday as the "Today's Showstopper" - so it will be sold at an awesome price...I'll be stocking up for sure!! Oprah Winfrey is supposed to love this stuff...It is MAGIC for me!
Pudoodles

Darn you Pudoodles! Laughing Oh, why did you have to say that! And I don't live in Canada... or the US... Ok, maybe I just have to wait until I go to san Fansisco in May, unless someone can tell me where to order online. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Schnee wrote:
Pudoodles wrote:
Schnee wrote:

Pudoodles

Darn you Pudoodles! Laughing Oh, why did you have to say that! And I don't live in Canada... or the US... Ok, maybe I just have to wait until I go to san Fansisco in May, unless someone can tell me where to order online. Smile

Don't fret, Schnee! Very Happy You can order it from ojonhaircare.com (official website) or from Sephora!
Pudoodles
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:

Don't fret, Schnee! Very Happy You can order it from ojonhaircare.com (official website) or from Sephora!
Pudoodles

Actually, I do think I will continue to fret some more! Laughing Sephora doesn't ship to Europe (of course not... what was I thinking), and the french Sephora I have no idea where ship (my french is rotten). And Ojonhaircare... well, 6-8 weeks to ship to the UK? Seriously, sometimes I hate online shopping, all the thing I find and want, and then I'm stopped by shipping??

Ah... I will fret some more... Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
I never used to get compliments for my dry, fine and lank hair, but recently people have seen a difference and asked me what I am using. My hair is growing faster and it is stronger and full of bounce and shine. I have been using Mane N'Tail Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner and nothing else for a month now. It was originally made for horses, but works great on human hair too.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Hi avalange - I think your idea about water filters is probably key to solving your problem. A lot of us experience hair problems when we travel or relocate because of the change. But the Vit.C filter sounds iffy to me (only because I know Vit.C sera applied to the face can be drying) -- the other one seems more apt. If it doesn't help, maybe a plain old water-softening filter could help. Geez, you're using Kerastase and Phyto which are IMO great products.

And I wonder if the water there can play havoc with not only hair but skin as well. Have you noticed any changes on that front?

m.april,

It was the first thing I noticed. I immediately bought a large can of avene mist and only wash my face with it now. But I took a shower last night and my skin was decidedly reptilian today. I went into a salon today and asked them, "what is in the water that makes my hair so dry?" and they almost screamed at me "calcium deposits!" So I bought a magnet-treatment for the pipes (apparently this works) and tomorrow I will be getting some lavender wheat germ hair treatment to use, so we shall see.... Thank you for your concern!

avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Schnee wrote:
Pudoodles wrote:

Pudoodles

Actually, I do think I will continue to fret some more! Laughing Sephora doesn't ship to Europe (of course not... what was I thinking), and the french Sephora I have no idea where ship (my french is rotten). And Ojonhaircare... well, 6-8 weeks to ship to the UK? Seriously, sometimes I hate online shopping, all the thing I find and want, and then I'm stopped by shipping??

Ah... I will fret some more... Laughing

Crying or Very sad Schnee, sephora.fr doesn't carry ojon... sadly. If I happen to be able to get some from my 'sources,' I'll send you some. I'm not planning on begging for it, but I'll mention it and see if it comes through. I'll let you know.

--avalange

Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
I thought Ojon was made in Italy. If it is, wouldn't it be available - by mail or otherwise - to someone living in Paris? I know Ojon has a Detox shampoo in addition to it's main hydrating products, so you may want to look for that also if you can find a supplier. The Detox may help remove the mineral that's causing your problem.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:17 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:

One of my French friends says that many French women are suffering from the after-effects of the Chernobyl incident years ago. There are now more incidences of thyroid problems and hair loss, apparently, amongst women who were living in France at the time.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
avalange wrote:

One of my French friends says that many French women are suffering from the after-effects of the Chernobyl incident years ago. There are now more incidences of thyroid problems and hair loss, apparently, amongst women who were living in France at the time.

completely chastened...

--avalange

violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Have you tried a treatment to get the minerals off your hair? I have hard water and I have to do periodic clarifying treatments. I can tell when I need one as my ends get crunchy and my hair starts not only to look dull, but feel dull. A lot of people suggest aCV, which is ok for a daily sort of thing (they have shampoos which would work better for a daily 'treatment'), but a 20 minute treatment under heat is what really reconditions the hair.

Also beware of overtreating with protein. THis will make your hair brittle as well. I usually stick to conditoners with lots of oils, like olive, jojoba, avocado...
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Dear Violetanne,

Thank you for the tip. I'm sort of doing exactly that at the moment: I just washed my hair with only castille soap (honestly, this made my hair seem like it was coated with a disgusting slick for some reason) and then rinsed and massaged with a 1/2 avc 1/2 water mixture. I let that sit on my hair for a couple of minutes, now I have a lavender oil treatment (lavender, wheat germ, olive, and palm oils, vitamin e), and then I will apply a cleansing conditioner that includes lemon, chamomile, lavendar, and no detergents... Apparently formulated for dry, colored hair and hard water. I'll let you know how it turns out!

--avalange

majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:37 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
majorb wrote:
avalange wrote:

completely chastened...

--avalange

It's really scary, isn't it? The airbourne contamination can spread very far. I hate to imagine what it must be like for those living even nearer.

I had no idea about this until my friend told me a couple of years ago. She's one of those affected, unfortunately.
praia98
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, Back after a long while Smile

When I went to Portugal (I'm in the US)in the summer I noticed my hair acting different due to the difference in climate and water.
I used the same good natural organic shampoo I had recently started here (which I swear is helpng with my thinning hair) and more conditioner than normal.
I used to use a protein rich conditioner and stopped. I did notice that it dried out my hair and then heard how it could make hair brittle after while.
BTW, Wouldn't an apple cider rinse dry it out more?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
Praia98 ,

may I ask you what shampoo/conditioner did you find to help you with thinning hair?

I have curly dry hair with oily scalp, and have some thinning on top.

TIA,
Lucy.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |