Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Something Strange I've noticed about Retinol
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

Has anyone else noticed this: You cannot really "spot treat" with retinol. Based on my experiences, if you put it anywhere on your skin, it affects a much larger area than where you've actually applied it. For example, I decided to use SkinCeuticals' retinol 1.0 underneath my eyes only, and I woke up with light peeling above my eyebrows and on my eyelids. Last night, I used a very thin layer only on my face, avoiding my neck, which is more sensitive, and today I awoke with a red, peeling neck. I'm not sure if others have had similar experiences, but you have to be careful with any retinoid, so it might be good to know that a day "off" really means a day off!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Now, THAT is interesting. I never knew that. It explain why my eyelids are peeling today after using PSF Retinol Nite Repair on my cheeks last night.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
I relate! I had to stop using Renova because my skin was burning and peeling around my mouth right along the lipline and slightly ON my lips as well! I looked like I was overzealous with the jug of cherry kool-aid and yowza did it hurt!! I couldn't even wear lip balm - it was crazy...and I wasn't putting the Renova near my lips at all! I'm using Tazorac now and am not experiencing any odd, disruptive side effects (thank goodness!).
Pudoodles
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Hmm...I have been using Retinol product for almost two years. First skinceutical then PSF's. I have never experienced any peeling that I can attribute to retinol use. Maybe my skin is too tough.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
I have been using for 6 months now and the only time I notice peeling, is if I apply too much of it. And even with that, I only get peeling on the skin I applied too, not any surrounding skin. I get in a rush sometimes and start rubbing it in all over my face and forget that I don't want to hit the corners of my mouth or around my eyes. I guess I have thick skin too.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
That's really interesting. I've used retinol off and on, but never tried it as a spot treatment. Apparently, there is a reason for not using it that way. Smile
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:05 am      Reply with quote
I always use it all over, may as well let my whole face get all the benefits of retinol Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:38 am      Reply with quote
I use Retrinal all over, but I spot treat with a higher strength (currently using up Green Cream to do this). I've been getting good results doing this -- no peeling in other areas of my face -- quicker healing of the spots. I will continue doing this.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:01 am      Reply with quote
That is an interesting observation. So far, I have not noticed a thing. I apply it on my chest.
Patty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ms. A,

Are you sure you're not scratching or rubbing over those areas you've applied Retinol to during the night? I don't think Retinol "spreads" by itself sweetie. I know you can't be sure you're not scratching when you're sleeping but I bet you are. Retinol can make those areas itch.

Patty

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi Miss P! Wink

It's certainly a good theory! I might never know! I just thought that retinol is absorbed by the skin, and not necessarily locally...

It doesn't happen, I might add, with Avene's Eluage, which IS a spot treatment, equivalent to Retrinal, used by a poster above. But Eluage, in my opinion, doesn't do a darn thing except plump the skin a little when you put it on.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:05 am      Reply with quote
so strange!
i never have such a experience.maybe because i only use retinol on the spot just like a blemish clear gel.
and could you kindly tell me about the acutual effect that retinol works on eye area wrinkles?
thank you and thank you Rolling Eyes
Patty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Tge 1% your using is powerful stuff. When I started using it years and years ago, nobody told me how to use it. Has anyone told you?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Is anyone who experiences this reaction applying another product over the retinoid? Maybe by doing so, retinol/tretinoin is being spread to other areas. It takes longer for it to be absorbed/converted/whatever than some other treatments like Vit.C for example, so it may still be in an active-enough state if something like HA, emu, or any moisturizer is applied afterward.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
OK, now that you mentioned it... the spot-treating I was doing with the higher strength GC did cause a ring of dry skin around the zit that I was trying to get rid of (like a big donut). I don't think it was due to the retinol product moving; I noticed that I was scratching several days ago (when I stopped spot-treating until things clear up for good), so I agree with the itchiness theory causing the irritation, at least in my case. Smile
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Ok Miss A sent me this link because I have been using a retinol peel (apeel light-night) and am experiencing pain and itching at the corners of my mouth where i shouldn't have applied the apeel as warned, but i did anyway! the corners are itchy, sore and cracking and i cannot open my mouth. of course, i didn't follow the apeel light directions at all, so this is also another reason.

Pudoodles--how long did it take for you to recover? i know we're not using the same product but i am curious anyway.

Thanks, K

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:53 am      Reply with quote
avalange, I believe you are right and retinol does "spread". I read that on the boards where people talked about greencream.

I do think that it might spread a bit out of the "boundaries" of the treated area but I also think that the biggest spread is because of sleeping. It gets rubbed on the pillow and that spreads it to other areas, more distant areas (from under eye to above brow or from face to neck and so on). Very Happy
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
good point, lbianca, although, i've waited until the retinol absorbs before going to bed (say, like 1.5 hrs before htting the pillows), and this still happened to me!

--avalange

lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
I noticed that too!!!!! I was using skinmedicas retinal cream but NOT on my chin or nasals and on the side of my mouth and its all red and peeling there. I have stopped using it for now and just trying to put lubriderm on it very heavy to take the red away. It looked awful yesterday but I piled on the lotion 24/7 yesterday and its slightly better today.
lbianca
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
good point, lbianca, although, i've waited until the retinol absorbs before going to bed (say, like 1.5 hrs before htting the pillows), and this still happened to me!

--avalange

But that's exactly it. I don't think it matters how many hours you wait (assuming the stuff is strong enough). Some of it remains on the surface or is emitted by the skin back to the surface (and then to the pillow and rubs off on other areas and so on). Very Happy
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Ok Miss A sent me this link because I have been using a retinol peel (apeel light-night) and am experiencing pain and itching at the corners of my mouth where i shouldn't have applied the apeel as warned, but i did anyway! the corners are itchy, sore and cracking and i cannot open my mouth. of course, i didn't follow the apeel light directions at all, so this is also another reason.

Pudoodles--how long did it take for you to recover? i know we're not using the same product but i am curious anyway.

Thanks, K

Hi K - what a friggin' nightmare it was for me!!! I tried hydrocortisone from the drug store, polysporin and several other natural and not-so-natural potions and ointments to get relief. Nothing worked! I actually gave up and went to the doctor who gave me something called Dermatop (Prednicarbate emollient cream 0.1%)..This stuff did the trick, I no longer have a permanent kool-aid smile!
puds
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Ok I totally experienced this. I started Taz 3 weeks ago and I mainly concentrated the application on my cheeks, forehead nose and the peeling occurred the MOST around my lips and on my chin. The corners on my lips are horrible and I'm still getting mild flaking there. I sometimes get very mild flaking on the corner of my eyes too when I don't even get the Taz near my eyes. I also don't usually sleep until 3-4 hours after I do my night routine since I'm not an early sleeper so I can't really relate to the pillow rubbing to other locations theory.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
Ok I totally experienced this. I started Taz 3 weeks ago and I mainly concentrated the application on my cheeks, forehead nose and the peeling occurred the MOST around my lips and on my chin. The corners on my lips are horrible and I'm still getting mild flaking there. I sometimes get very mild flaking on the corner of my eyes too when I don't even get the Taz near my eyes. I also don't usually sleep until 3-4 hours after I do my night routine since I'm not an early sleeper so I can't really relate to the pillow rubbing to other locations theory.

So, I'm not crazy!!!!! You should have seen me when I was using Renova...It was WAY worse than what I experienced with the Taz! I wonder why this is happening...very strange...I'm using PSF 0.1% now and I'll alternate with Taz - but I'll only use Taz on the centre of my cheeks where the pores are a bit larger and between my brows....I'm a total PSF convert...
puds
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
I've always heard that this can happen with Retin-A - for example, many more sensitive skins would get chapped and peeling lips even if they only dabbed Retin-A in their T-zone proper, and avoided the mouth area. The stuff really is quite strong, so it wouldn't surprise me if the skin reacted even if it wasn't exactly local. Have you tried diluting it with something when you spot-treat? I've always been sensitive to it, and that's what I used to do. Good luck!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Pudoodles! Though i am trying to avoid going to the doctor--no insurance at the moment Sad.

Sormuimui--i don't mind the peeling and flaking on my lips, but the cracks at the corners of my mouth are killing me. It seems like the retinol is preventing them from healing up. so much pain Sad

~Kristen

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |