Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cruelty-Free Emu Oil??????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Well, I've got an update. Shelly at IE looked into this matter, and apparently she was given false information--- the emu oil that they are using in their products did indeed come from Emus after they were killed for their meat. Because of their cruelty-free stance and their concern for their vegetarian customers and for animals, they have decided to sell whatever stock they have left of the soap that contains Emu oil and then discontinue it. I have to say, I'm SO impressed by this!! I mean, I'm sure they put a lot of time, money, and effort into launching their new soap, so to discontinue it purely on ethical grounds--- I'm speechless!! Bravo, IE!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Well, I've got an update. Shelly at IE looked into this matter, and apparently she was given false information--- the emu oil that they are using in their products did indeed come from Emus after they were killed for their meat. Because of their cruelty-free stance and their concern for their vegetarian customers and for animals, they have decided to sell whatever stock they have left of the soap that contains Emu oil and then discontinue it. I have to say, I'm SO impressed by this!! I mean, I'm sure they put a lot of time, money, and effort into launching their new soap, so to discontinue it purely on ethical grounds--- I'm speechless!! Bravo, IE!!!

That is impressive!! It's not very often that you see a company actually back-up what they say. Good for IE!
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it nice that they won't continue to order it. But pretty sloppy on their part to have it in the first place. I guess they believed that the animals were being sung to as oil dripped from their feathers!
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
I must agree with Yogi, and I suspect that they really knew it was from emu bodies. You were just the first one who called them on it and then pursued their answer. I mean what did they think, that a bunch of emu cosmetic surgeons were performing lipo on the comfy, sedated birds to create these large quantities of emu oil? Come on, they had to know.

I'm mainly vegetarian myself and yet tried some of the emu oil (oh the bundle of contraditions we humans are), and it was OK, no HG or anything, but I won't buy it again.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:50 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:

I cannot credit you actually believe this Shelly character. I think it makes a scam of the whole IE line. I am not having a go at you manslayerliz but how could a company market this type of product without properly checking how the oil was obtained. Shelly has only changed her story because she has been caught out with the "cruelty free" sham. I don't like or use the line but if I did, I would now have to question every product they sell and what they have to say about their products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:29 am      Reply with quote
I have to agree; they must have realised. I've been tempted once or twice by these products because some long-term EDSers are pleased with them and I trust that, but then the ones who come over here with an almost evangelical devotion and only ever post about IE products make me suspicious and put me right off the line.

and it's not like they've binned the stuff they are still getting some money back on it.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:23 am      Reply with quote
insidious!

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Bluerain
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry but I haven't been around lately and forgot who IE is..Who are they ?

Thanks Smile
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Bluerain wrote:

Thanks Smile

IE means Ice Elements.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thankyou Smile

bushy wrote:
Bluerain wrote:

Thanks Smile

IE means Ice Elements.
birdlove
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:29 am      Reply with quote
I'm a major bird lover (hence the user name)-- and I struggle with the emu oil dilemma. I'm not a vegetarian anymore (also have insulin problems that require a high protein, low carb diet) -- and I've pretty much decided that using emu oil is no worse than eating meat, particularly since it is actually a by-product of the meat industry.

I'm not saying that makes it okay... just that it is how I've resolved the dilemma.

Well processed emu oil does not have an odor, and I do actually love it on my skin... sigh.
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
I was SOOO glad to see this post and the concern from most of you about the killing of these birds.

I have NICELY made a few comments here and there on various posts asking the posters to try jojoba oil (which Ive read is actually better anyway) instead of emu oil and I ALWAYS get ignored.

It has frustrated me greatly - I understand many people just do not care about the torture and death we place on animals solely due to our selfishness. Meat is one thing - Ive stopped eating it - but I know I cant expect others too. And I do understand even leather and its use when it is a byproduct if the animal is killed for one thing - better that the body is used for various things....

But I think many people have it in their mindsets that animals are ours to do with as we please. Within the last 10 years Ive come to believe that is JUST not true - all animals have intelligence and even emotions. And to know they suffer greatly when we experiment, mistreat, torture and kill them for our own needs saddens me greatly. Especially when we continue to use animals for our clothes (Im talking fur - when animals are greatly tortured and for one "purpose" only which lets face it isnt even a necessity) and skin care - just so we can look "better" (?????) Its just very wrong to me.

Thanks so much to those who care too.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for going the extra mile to bust this company for lying.
I beleive GOW has made a similar to "Emu Oil" with no animal killing involved.
But,if they do come up with a way to remove fat without pain..I will be waiting in line for my own tummy and thighs.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
mb935 wrote:
I was SOOO glad to see this post and the concern from most of you about the killing of these birds.

I have NICELY made a few comments here and there on various posts asking the posters to try jojoba oil (which Ive read is actually better anyway) instead of emu oil and I ALWAYS get ignored.

It has frustrated me greatly - I understand many people just do not care about the torture and death we place on animals solely due to our selfishness. Meat is one thing - Ive stopped eating it - but I know I cant expect others too. And I do understand even leather and its use when it is a byproduct if the animal is killed for one thing - better that the body is used for various things....

But I think many people have it in their mindsets that animals are ours to do with as we please. Within the last 10 years Ive come to believe that is JUST not true - all animals have intelligence and even emotions. And to know they suffer greatly when we experiment, mistreat, torture and kill them for our own needs saddens me greatly. Especially when we continue to use animals for our clothes (Im talking fur - when animals are greatly tortured and for one "purpose" only which lets face it isnt even a necessity) and skin care - just so we can look "better" (?????) Its just very wrong to me.

Thanks so much to those who care too.

Thank YOU, mb935! I learned a lot about emu oil when I was originally researching the claim of "cruelty-free" emu oil that started this topic, and what I learned wasn't pretty! While looking good is undeniably a high priority for me, I couldn't enjoy any success that came at the expense of the emus.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:54 am      Reply with quote
For those of you looking to get away from Emu, or are looking for an excellent substitute...go with Macadamia Oil. Mac oil is botanical, and has a very similar fatty acid profile to Emu. Plus, Mac oil is a very stable botanical oil and will not go rancid like Emu can, and does.

Macadamia Oil is a "dry" emollient, which means it does not have a greasy skin feel, and penetrates the skin surface very easily. The fatty acid profile for Macadamia Oil is also very similar to that of your own skin sebum. I recommend it highly.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Chocolat wrote:
I must agree with Yogi, and I suspect that they really knew it was from emu bodies. You were just the first one who called them on it and then pursued their answer. I mean what did they think, that a bunch of emu cosmetic surgeons were performing lipo on the comfy, sedated birds to create these large quantities of emu oil?

Laughing Laughing Laughing It's amazing what people believe and pass on, isn't it? I have some emu oil that has been sitting in the bathroom for six months. Every time I open it, I feel so guilty. Then again, I have an ostrich-skin purse. Go figure...

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
oooooo, I cant read this post! Too explicit to think about. Something I find odd, as an Australian, Emu oil is so rarely heard of here, certainly not commercially in a big way. The more I read about it, it seems everyone over there is so into it as skin care. And Im a skin junkie in OZ, and never read about it until now! Very Happy
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:34 am      Reply with quote
I think thats the sad part about it - people read what great effects it has on the skin and then order it without thinking twice that an animal has died in order to make it.

I know most people just dont care.... but still many probably would if they knew the truth...
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:50 am      Reply with quote
It's a tough one this. How to be true to a cause? I'm vegetarian as I think it's appalling to take a life when other options are available. (Note that's my personal opinion and the rest of my family chow down meat.) However, I wear leather shoes and purses as I view these as a by-product of the meat industry. If the meat industry ended tomorrow and someone came out with vegan shoes that looked reasonable and weren't horrendously expensive, I'd be very happy. Also, out of respect to the animal killed for meat, I rationalize (as did many native peoples when they killed a bear or whale) that all parts of that animal should be used and none "wasted." I chucked the emu oil though, which really doesn't tie in with that particular sentiment. Like I said, it's tough. Evolence is pig collagen. Do we question that? Do we go through great lengths to ensure a much-touted product doesn't, somewhere along the line, contain animal derivatives? Here endeth the lesson...

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
As I stated in an earlier post I do get the use of an animal when it comes to byproducts. I know the world will never go vegetarian - so I do agree with using all the animal as well.
And I guess emu oil is a byproduct as well - but unlike the cow and pig - how much emu meat is actually consumed??
I just wouldnt want to use the oil because Im not 100% that the birds are not killed more for the oil than for meat... And for me - just to look better - seems really cruel and selfish when a death has occurred for it.

I just keep in mind when it comes to this stuff - these animals not only suffer in most ways they are put to death but they fight when it comes time to be slaughtered and knowing that breaks my heart.
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
The last sentence about fighting is the truth, and fear is the most paralyzing emotion for any animal. Ugh! So terribly sad. On the topic of the oil, I have honestly not seen any benefit when using this, carrier or not.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:
daisylondon wrote:
Isn't cruelty free Emu oil like me hoping that rabbit jackets are made from jackets who have been gently brushed whilst listening to Radio 4..?!

Oops, I meant of course to say isn't cruelty free Emu oil like me hoping that rabbit jackets are made from *rabbits* who have been gently brushed whilst listening to Radio 4..?!
Laughing !

Kind of like cruelty free steak. Come on, when you kill an animal, it suffers. I eat meat, and I even tried emu oil, though I gotta say putting bird fat on my face was a turn off, and did nothing for my complexion, so I never bought the overpriced stuff again, but I have no illusions about it. If you eat an animal, or wear its skin, or rub its fat on your face, you're participating in its death. We do it because we like it. And because we're animals, too. I honor and respect the vegetarians: they are able to put their conscience ahead of their impulses. Very admirable. Most of us are too into pleasing ourselves: food, fashion, vanity, sexual appeal. But at least we can be honest about it.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:29 am      Reply with quote
I really love the gutsiness of this thread...I've been a vegan since 1970...and it's hard for me to believe that with all the oils available now ..that there isn't a combination of oils that would be as effective as emu oil...take a look at mountain rose herbs's (www.mountainroseherbs.com) carrier oils..there are
thirty-five listed!

i know that on one of the diy sites i've visited they have a combination of vegan oils that they actually speak about as being their version of emu oil... and they find it more effective..and truly cruelty free!...i'll post it when i find it agian.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:00 am      Reply with quote
That site is Skinactives.com. It's called emulator oil I think...cute name.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
I use the EmuLator Oil daily and I love it.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |