Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
brown hair dye
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:31 am      Reply with quote
My hair needs a change. I have naturally dark brown hair and currently have caramel/blonde hilites. I'm thinking of going dark again but am scared since if you go dark, it is going to be difficult and damaging to re-bleach your hair again if you dont like it. I hear about semi-permenant dyes.. how does that work? It washes out within several washes? (besides im not going to attempt to dye my hair on my own, i'm going to a salon)
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:28 am      Reply with quote
My hair color is also dark brown and I use permenant color to dye it black. I have used semi-permenant dyes in the past and the ones that I used gradually faded over a month or two. Once I used a black semi-permenant and it took forever to fade. My hairdresser told me that the darker semi-permanent dyes may not ever fade completely and you still could be left doing a two process to return your color to it's original. Maybe it would be different with the semi dyes that wash out in several washes but I have never used one of these.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
My hairdresser told me that the darker semi-permanent dyes may not ever fade completely and you still could be left doing a two process to return your color to it's original. Maybe it would be different with the semi dyes that wash out in several washes but I have never used one of these.

When I did a horrible at home bleach job to my hair in an attempt to turn my dark brown hair blond Shock, I ended up with 9!$$ yellow straw hair (I hope I'm allowed to say that..and if not, please excuse my french...). Anyways, I did some research on the net and found that some people had similar experiences as me (go figure) and it was recommended to get two different tones of a semi-permanent hair color. I honestly cant remember the brand name, but the box was blue and had something written on it such as replenish or aquaplenish/ hydraplenish...you get the point. It was advised on an advice hair forum (on ivillage.com) to pick two colors. One, should have the word gold or warm in the description and should be a bit darker than your current lightest hair. This will tone down the highlights you have currently. Then, the second semi-permanent color should be the closest to your overall hair color.

So anyways, I ended up following this advice. What happened to my hair was that I applied the first one, and it looked a bit reddish. However, under the second semi-permanent dye, it created shine and different dimension to my hair. OK, back on subject. After that, I dyed my hair with the second semi-permanent hair dye and it looked perfect when wet. However, when I dried it, my hair seemed so much darker than before, way dark for my complexion. So, if you or anyone was to take this advice, I would recommend going a touch lighter with a semi-permanent dye than you think you need. Gradually the darkness faded out and I was left with completely brown hair, like I was born with. Bottom line, If you want to do it at home, I'd recommend this process. Also, I remember reading about Carries precolor treatment, as well as a recommendation for a great coloring system. You may want to do a search on those, for they may have some diy products in that great range. But whoever has experience with this done at a salon, we're still waiting for your response.

So yeah the semi-permanent color didn't completely wash out off of my hair. But enough to leave it a pleasant color that I was happy with.

So that's just my two cents. Please don't hold me responsible if this happens to you, since I am neither a hair colorist/ stylist or have any real experience in that aspect.

Let us know what you decide to do and how you do it! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi BCgirl - I have naturally dark brown hair too and for years my colorist used semi-permanent dye to cover my grey (he now uses permanent color). Semi doesn't wash out, so I really don't understand how it got it's name! And since you want to go really dark, you wouldn't have to worry (like I did) about reddish undertones that can be evident in lighter shades of semi-permanent browns. This is why I switched to permanent color since I've gone a bit lighter.

I don't think you'd have to worry about damage if you wanted to go back to highlights, as long as your hair is already in good condition and you have an experienced colorist. I do this all the time with no problem.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |