Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My hair is breaking off almost at the roots
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi OO-CAT, Thanks. I looked for that forever and could not find it. Thank you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:14 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to thank everyone for your advice. I think the problem with snapping hair is almost solved. Here is what I did:

Bought Paves Shampoo and Conditioner, added rosemary and lavender eos to shampoo, mixed up some jojoba and almond oils with rosemary and lavender for a scalp treatment (have done this twice). I also started taking the hair, skin and nail vitamins.

My hair is now very soft and shiny with very little snapping off.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Salli,
Was your hair very dry before? Where did you buy your Paves shampoo and conditioner? Where did you buy rosemary, lavender, jojoba, and almond oil?
Thank you for sharing. I'm still trying to combat my dry hair problem. I was trying washing my hair with shampoo with mixed baking soda in it. Now I just put on some conditioning mask mixed with honey. Then I plan to rinse it off with purified water mixed with vinegar. I am following Avalange's routines. However I don't have apple cider vinegar, so I am using regular vinegar. Then I will just put on some coconut oil to the driest part which is usually the end.
Thank you.
Cherisse

salli wrote:
I just wanted to thank everyone for your advice. I think the problem with snapping hair is almost solved. Here is what I did:

Bought Paves Shampoo and Conditioner, added rosemary and lavender eos to shampoo, mixed up some jojoba and almond oils with rosemary and lavender for a scalp treatment (have done this twice). I also started taking the hair, skin and nail vitamins.

My hair is now very soft and shiny with very little snapping off.
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Paves came from Ulta. Some Walgreens carry it also. Jojoba, almond oil, lavender and rosemary came from TPF.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
I got same problem in general too and my hairdresser usually cut off the dry part at the end because it won't grow nicely anymore.
Also, keep looking for new hair products and hm...I saw EDS sells alot of John Master product and I am tempted ....
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
fishzebby, I have spent a small fortune on expensive products. The DIY stuff seems to work better, at least for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem with my hair breaking/falling off. I think it's a combo of stress & over processed hair. Here's what I've been doing for the last month or so. I do have new growth at the top of my hairline by my face. It looks funny b/c it sticks straight up, but I'm just grateful my hair's growing back. I was starting to get a receding hairline! I visited the long hair care & black media boards for additional tips on growing hair. I use shampoos intended for hair growth. I also use MTG, which is actually for horses. It is the main ingredient in the Mane n Tail line & also is in the DooGrow shampoo. The problem is that the MTG smells horrid. I just mix it with the DooGro oil or Gueye Fast Growth Oil & Rosemary oil.

Shampoo: Alternate b/w Verseo, DooGro, Mane n Tail & Paves

Growth Serum: Gueye Fast Growth Oil (Product Description: This hair oil stimulates circulation in the scalp, brings oxygen to the follicles, and assists in unclogging pores caused by the plastic resins found in many shampoos and conditioners. This product also assists in growing and thickening the hair. L-31 contains powerful herbal ingredients.) + Shapley's MTG. I will also add the Bioferment once I receive it.

Conditioner: Biolage Ultra Hydrating + honey + acv
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
leidon, I also plan on putting the bioferment into my shampoo when I get it. I'll try the Biolage Ultra Hydrating + honey + acv every other day. I definitely like the Paves Shampoo and Conditioner.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
salli, I'm glad you're having success. All the best.

Cat
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Cat, thanks for your help. I went on foraging trip for recommendations and then promptly came home and used everything. It helped almost immediately and has gotten better since then. This has made me a believer in DIY and I can hardly wait to see what the SK bioferment does.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:54 am      Reply with quote
Just an FYI - in addition to the SK-bioferment, you should also consider adding Coconut Endosperm to your fave shampoo or conditioner because it's also known to stimulate hair growth and help generate a fuller, thicker head of hair (Katee posted a recipe for her DIY shampoo in the "Katee's Eye Potion" thread, I think it's around pg 2 or 3). Here's more info on the coconut endosperm: http://skinactives.com/products/coconut_endosperm.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:02 am      Reply with quote
carekate, where can I purchase this besides Skin Actives?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Hello everybody,

I thought I'd weigh in here since I've suffered some similar issues as of late, and I hope you are not all too nauseated from hearing too much about my hair!

I agree with leidon, salli, and of course carekate that DIY should be the first line of defense! When I first started having my problem (dry, 'crunchy,' lifeless hair hanging in tangly fluffy locks), I went out and bought hair oil, a rich moisturizing mask, and shower filters, magnet contraptions, etc... Mind you, I already had a veritable arsenal of hair care products (Phytojoba, phytopolleine, kerastase oleo relax, age recharge mask, bain satin, lait vital, phyto 9, phyto 7, substance reconstructive, etc--I think you get the picture...) I'm not a crazy person when it comes to these problems (usually), and I didn't try to put everything on my hair at once or do anything that different,--I wanted to harness the power of the internet and see if I could figure out my problem and the best way to treat it there (indeed, what a wealth of information on the long hair community boards!). I took minimal showers and wore my hair up or lightly braided, when I could get a comb through it, most of the time. But I must say that despite all of my efforts to bring moisture to my hair, the quality of my hair just continued to slide downhill--suddenly, I was on the point of breakage, like you, fishzebby.
I am so glad that I'm one of these DIY-curious people, because I was seriously considering cutting off about 10 inches of my hair... Before you do that, try a clarifying treatment, and try adding honey and aloe vera, or SKBF to your conditioner, and rinse with ACV! It completely worked for me, and now my hair is bouncy, shiny, thick, and soft. It is amazing. Miraculous. And eagerly awaiting carekate's hair potion so it can become preternaturally fabulous. So before you take ANY drastic measures or even spend ANY money on expensive treatments, please try the tried and true DIY quick fixes to see if your problem can be solved as easily as was mine.

Salli--I'm so glad you are back on track--it seems like your hair just needed a little burst of nourishment!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
salli wrote:
carekate, where can I purchase this besides Skin Actives?
So far, that's the only place that I know of...(although it should be noted that I haven't had time/PC access to extensively google for other sources from which to purchase it so if anyone finds another place, please do let us know b/c I'm sure it would be cheaper than SAS -- as we learned from the SK-bio markup!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Here is the most helpful thread I found regarding clarifying/chelating, and overall, how you should proceed if putting high-quality or even DIY treatments on your hair is making things worse rather than better...

--avalange

Quote:
I repetitively notice on the long hair care boards the common misunderstanding that an ACV rinse is a clarifying hair wash. My aim in this post is to rectify the misunderstanding and explain the purpose of an ACV Rinse. No offense is meant to anyone in particular if they misunderstand. It is easy to come to these confusions on the boards. It's hard to get through all the info out there and understand everything. (Right now I'm pondering what "scritching" is....see! It's easy not to understand).

Alright, I am copying the post I just gave in another thread here, and creating a new post with it. Lower I discuss clarifying and chelating and provide a thread to my more thorough coverage of this topic.

ACV Rinse (for those who don't know what this stands for is Apple Cider Vinegar). Any vinegar will work for such a rinse (although I wouldn't use a balsamic vinegar or flavored vinegar...balsamic has a lot of sugar in it), but ACV is the best choice since it often has "the mother" in it as the Bragg's brand calls it....simply meaning the pulp of apple is in it.

ACV Rinse is the final application after both shampoo and conditioner are completed. Here's why.

1) pH balances the scalp of the skin. Some shampoos upset the pH of the scalp skin which should be neutral, approximately 7.0, between the polarities of alkaline and acidic. Some people condition the scalp hair, and the ACV rinse will help then too meaning if one does this practice, ACV Rinse after conditioning is completed.

This is the largest benefit and primary reason for an ACV rinse.

2) Vinegar acts to "bind" the cuticle, the outer layer of hair, the protective barrier of hair. This means that it helps the cuticle to lie more in its natural position of closer and tighter together of overlapping scales. In this way, shine and smoothness of the hair's texture is mildly improved.

This is the second benefit of an ACV rinse.

3) ACV Rinse can only "clarify" in that exact and specific hair wash session, to remove any small residual product left on the hair that perhaps the rinsing may have missed. It does not have the ability to remove product, grime and oils and/or sebum that has built up over time on the hair strands. When doing a "clarifying shampoo" the ACV Rinse can be the final step, also.

This is the third benefit of an ACV rinse in the hierarchy of the ability of an ACV rinse to do its work. This benefit is minor and not strong at all. The largest reason to ACV rinse is to pH balance.

When there's buildup one needs something relatively strong to break down the dirt, sebum, oil and product. ACV, nor any vinegar, is strong enough to break through the bond.

I hope this helps people understand the appropriate reasons for using an ACV rinse.

For those who don't know yet about ACV Rinses, 1 tablespoon of ACV diluted well in 8 oz of water is a standard dilution ratio. One can increase the amount of ACV, perhaps 2-3 tablespoons, but never come close to approaching, for example, 50/50, nor do 100% vinegar, ever.

Reasons to clarify the hair is to remove buildup from the surface of the hair. 3Tablespoons of Baking Soda (not baking powder, they are not the same thing) well blended with 3Tablespoons of Shampoo will work excellently! It's a little drying, so be sure to follow immediately with a deep conditioning or leave the conditioner of your choice in for a longer than normal time (perhaps putting up in a shower cap or plastic bag and returning to the shower to rinse out).

Baking Soda is a natural cleansing agent that I use in laundry to help lift stains. In breads, it's a quick riser. Baking Soda+Baking Powder in quick bread recipes (combined with egg) replace yeast in rising bread recipes.

One can choose to purchase a Clarifying shampoo. If doing so, be sure to look for that term on the label, and be forewarned there is a thing known as Chelating Shampoo. If interested in clarifying, do not purchase a chelating shampoo with that term on the label. Chelating Shampoo goes deeper, working at the level of the cortex of hair, and removes chemical bonds from the hair strand. For example, in salons to prepare the hair for coloring or perming, the hair is washed with a chelating shampoo. Here is a link I wrote some time ago about clarifying and chelating. This is an interesting thread to read because this individual needed to Chelate Shampoo, an unusual situation, indeed.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...0&page=3&pp=15
On this site, under SnowyMoon (she began the thread), titled What Do I Do? #36 (also see #37, #40, #41 (on page three, scroll down) (for those who don't know, each person's response is assigned a number by LHC and it shows in the upper right corner. (Miss SnowyMoon subsequently responded under another thread about myself and Don being right, she needed chelating. You will know what this statement means once the whole thread is read.)

In some buildup situations, one might need to Clarify Shampoo two times, remotely possible a third. If one thinks they need to Chelate, it's important to start by Clarifying first to be sure. If unsure, try two times of clarifying before thinking about going to chelating. Some people know what they're after, so in this case do what you know to do...but don't just go to chelating if you are unsure. Proceed in a stage by stage manner.

In both clarifying and chelating, these really remove the oils off the hair and leave the strands very vulnerable, perhaps a bit brittle-y if not conditioned well, and certainly fly away and crispy sounding during detangling (once the hair is dry. By this I don't mean detangle dry hair only although that's an important concept; no, I mean once clarifying or chelating is complete, if the hair isn't conditioned immediately in that session and allowed to air dry (or dry how ever) then the hair might sound crispy or crackly during detangling, once dry).

There are other home recipes to create to clarify. They abound on these boards, but the recipe above works very reliably and does not damage hair when conditioned immediately.

CAUTION: If one has permed hair, a perm they care about, consult with a hair care professional about chelating, for sure, and quite likely it would be prudent to do so about clarifying, as well. A clarify shampoo should not upset a permanent or color, but it never hurts to double check with a hair care professional.

Hope this thread helps get the word out what the purpose of an ACV rinse is and what clarify means and what is necessary to break through the bond of grime, oil, sebum, product to the surface of the hair.

heidi w.

--from the Long Hair Community Forum

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26643

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
avalange, I think my hair did need the nourishment. I will add your recommendations to my routine. In the last few months I've been trying natural products not only for my hair, but also my face. I am pleased to report that although my "concoctions" are quite simple in nature (based on what I have learned here) they have been as effective, if not more so, than alot of expensive skincare/haircare products that I have purchased in the past.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
[quote="avalange"]
Quote:
(Right now I'm pondering what "scritching" is....see! It's easy not to understand).
"Scritching?!" Isn't that from that episode of CSI where those weirdos dressed up in animal costumes to attend a convention in Vegas and "scritching" is when everyone gets in a fur pile on the floor and dry-humps each-other's pelt?!?!?!?!?!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:10 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Quote:

Reasons to clarify the hair is to remove buildup from the surface of the hair. 3Tablespoons of Baking Soda (not baking powder, they are not the same thing) well blended with 3Tablespoons of Shampoo will work excellently! It's a little drying, so be sure to follow immediately with a deep conditioning or leave the conditioner of your choice in for a longer than normal time (perhaps putting up in a shower cap or plastic bag and returning to the shower to rinse out).

Baking Soda is a natural cleansing agent that I use in laundry to help lift stains. In breads, it's a quick riser. Baking Soda+Baking Powder in quick bread recipes (combined with egg) replace yeast in rising bread recipes.

One can choose to purchase a Clarifying shampoo. If doing so, be sure to look for that term on the label, and be forewarned there is a thing known as Chelating Shampoo. If interested in clarifying, do not purchase a chelating shampoo with that term on the label. Chelating Shampoo goes deeper, working at the level of the cortex of hair, and removes chemical bonds from the hair strand. For example, in salons to prepare the hair for coloring or perming, the hair is washed with a chelating shampoo. Here is a link I wrote some time ago about clarifying and chelating. This is an interesting thread to read because this individual needed to Chelate Shampoo, an unusual situation, indeed.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...0&page=3&pp=15
On this site, under SnowyMoon (she began the thread), titled What Do I Do? #36 (also see #37, #40, #41 (on page three, scroll down) (for those who don't know, each person's response is assigned a number by LHC and it shows in the upper right corner. (Miss SnowyMoon subsequently responded under another thread about myself and Don being right, she needed chelating. You will know what this statement means once the whole thread is read.)

In some buildup situations, one might need to Clarify Shampoo two times, remotely possible a third. If one thinks they need to Chelate, it's important to start by Clarifying first to be sure. If unsure, try two times of clarifying before thinking about going to chelating. Some people know what they're after, so in this case do what you know to do...but don't just go to chelating if you are unsure. Proceed in a stage by stage manner.

In both clarifying and chelating, these really remove the oils off the hair and leave the strands very vulnerable, perhaps a bit brittle-y if not conditioned well, and certainly fly away and crispy sounding during detangling (once the hair is dry. By this I don't mean detangle dry hair only although that's an important concept; no, I mean once clarifying or chelating is complete, if the hair isn't conditioned immediately in that session and allowed to air dry (or dry how ever) then the hair might sound crispy or crackly during detangling, once dry).

There are other home recipes to create to clarify. They abound on these boards, but the recipe above works very reliably and does not damage hair when conditioned immediately.

CAUTION: If one has permed hair, a perm they care about, consult with a hair care professional about chelating, for sure, and quite likely it would be prudent to do so about clarifying, as well. A clarify shampoo should not upset a permanent or color, but it never hurts to double check with a hair care professional.

Hope this thread helps get the word out what the purpose of an ACV rinse is and what clarify means and what is necessary to break through the bond of grime, oil, sebum, product to the surface of the hair.

heidi w.

--from the Long Hair Community Forum

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26643

I have to respectfully disagree with HeidiW regarding baking soda IF you color-treat your hair. Unless you're following it immediately with an ACV rinse, your massively upsetting your hair's PH balance because the BS is so alkaline and it causes the hair cuticle dilate -- just like the "developer" in your hair color -- so the previously deposited color is going to leech out and you've just wasted your money on an expensive color job....

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks carekate. I just got my color done about 3 weeks ago. My hair is still very fragile right now. The baking soda and vinegar so close together worried me because that is what I use on my drains. Any other suggestions?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:29 am      Reply with quote
salli wrote:
Thanks carekate. I just got my color done about 3 weeks ago. My hair is still very fragile right now. The baking soda and vinegar so close together worried me because that is what I use on my drains. Any other suggestions?
ACV is GOOD for color-treated hair!! Just stay away from the baking soda. I'll see if I can find the post I made a while back on how to maintain color-treated hair....

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Dear Carekate,

Yes, I was confused a bit as well, since she seems to be saying at first that you should first try BS a couple of times and THEN use ACV, but it made sense to me to use BS with a non-detergent shampoo and THEN rinse with acv, as the alkalies and the acids will balance each other out in the end... But she is talking about using acv as opposed to bs for washing the hair, not rinsing. Apparently some people use straight acv on their hair before conditioning it, since it is a strong 'chelating' agent. What I ultimately gleaned from her post was that making sure to respect the ph of the hair is the most important step in healthy hair. That's not to say that I didn't sit there in my bathroom for at least 30 minutes rehearsing an explanation to myself of what I would be doing to my hair~~but it worked.

I have color treated hair, and i put in more baking soda than recommended (I was using a 'fluid' shampoo--it was difficult to control the amounts of bs - shampoo), and it did not upset my color... but i rinsed with acv as well immediately afterwards. For the record, I'd never just add BS in my shampoo without rinsing with ACV afterwards, and I hope my post didn't mislead anyone here. I know from other threads that you are anti-baking soda, and I can understand why from a purely objective point of view, but I needed immediate help, and I went all over paris trying to find a chelating shampoo, with no luck!

--avalange

carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:53 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
salli wrote:
ACV is GOOD for color-treated hair!! Just stay away from the baking soda. I'll see if I can find the post I made a while back on how to maintain color-treated hair....
Okay, here it is...along with one of my rants about sulfate-laiden shampoos (it bears repeating since you said you just colored your hair!)!!

carekate wrote:
syllie wrote:
I really believe the best way to keep the colour is Pureology lines. My daughter could never keep her red for more than a couple of weeks, my blonde with highlights the same.
We started to use Pureology Hydrate shampoo and contioner and the colour stays the same.
I have now ordered and waiting anxiously for Pureology nanoworks. It really seems to be worth paying a fortune for these products.
The truth is, nearly all shampoo – regardless of cost – is rough and damaging to your hair because they contain sulfates. Take a look sometime at your bottle of drugstore or expensive, salon-brand shampoo and compare the list of ingredients to those on the label of your dishwashing detergent! Would you be willing to wash your hair with the same stuff that you use to wash your dirty dishes? If the shampoo you use contains sulfates, then you might as well!

The only truly gentle, non-damaging shampoo are those that do not contain sulfates. The problem is that sulfates are what gives you the impressive, bubbly lather. Sulfate-free shampoos do not give you a rich, thick lather, so people – inerroneously – assume that sulfate-free shampoos are not cleaning the hair because we have all been conditioned (no pun!) to equate lots of suds with being clean.

The reason that Pureology products are so brilliant is that they do not contain any sulfates, which is the same type of detergent that you will find in your dishwashing liquid: seriously, if you have color-treated hair and you are not using a sulfate-free shampoo, you might as well be washing your hair with the same stuff that you clean your dishes!!! Shock Shock Shock In fact, they tell you that a quick and cheap way to reverse a bad DIY color job (i.e.: dying your hair too dark or too red/brassy) – until you can get to a salon for corrective services or to the beauty supply store to buy a color-remover kit – is to WASH YOUR HAIR WITH DISHSOAP because it’ll help prevent the freshly-deposited color from “taking” and/or “curing” so that it will be easier for a professional to remove the bad color apply corrective color. Think about that for just a minute, while you compare the label of your fu-fu salon brand shampoo with your lowly bottle of liquid dishwashing detergent....I mean, unless you’d been swimming in Alaskan waters immediately following the Exxon Valdez diaster and your hair was covered with a thick coat of crude oil, would you REALLY be willing to shampoo your hair with Dawn dishsoap?!

That said, while I also love Pureology shampoos, I have found a perfectly reasonable ‘facsimile’ in “Paves Professional No Sulfates Allowed Shine Repair Shampoo,” which is less than half the price of Pureology. You can find the entire Paves haircare line at Ulta stores (it’s back among the “drugstore” haircare products and not up front in the salon section) orwww.walgreens.com, while you can still get the Paves shampoo and conditioners only at your local Walgreens stores.

Regardless of whether you use Pureology or decide to try the Paves, if you have color-treated hair, I URGE you to use some type of sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. If you don’t, you might as well not even bother coloring your hair cuz it ain't gonna stay that way for long!!

And – forgive me if I have already posted this info, remember I only have 30 minutes per day online so I can’t waste it to go back and check to see if I’m being redundant! – here are some other hints for maintaining the brilliance of your color-treated hair:
carekate wrote:
I posted this a long while back in one of the threads discussing color treated hair. It was advice that I specifically gave for someone with red color-treated hair, but the hints I posted are useful for ANYONE with color treated hair:

carekate wrote:
My hair is also colored red (and brown, auburn, gold, amber, copper, etc.!!). Unfortunately, red hair dyes are the ones that fade the quickest so here's a few tips that I utilize to help keep my color to stay "true."

Note: these tips can be used for anyone with color-processed hair, but for those with dyed red hair, they are "mandatory" to help maintain your look:

Use only cool or cold water to wet/rinse your hair when you're in the shower. This is vitally important! Warm or hot water helps to open up the hair cuticle and make it more phorus, and when the hair cuticle is opened/phorus, your red hair dye is going to leach right out of the hair shaft and straight down the drain. By using cool/cold water, the hair shaft will stay sealed and your color will remain inside the cuticle;

Use only a shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for color-treated hair (let me know if you need brand recommendations). These products contain ingredients that are less harsh and so will help to protect the cuticle to prevent the dye from being stripped out of your hair;

Add a tablespoon of cider vinegar to your bottle of shampoo. Hair dyes have a high alkaline level so your hair needs the acid in the vinegar to help maintain a normal PH level, which in turn helps ensure that the hair cuticles stay sealed so the color won't leach out. Another benefit of the vinegar is it acts as a (gentle) clarifier to help cut thru product buildup on your hair so you get shinier hair everytime...and in case your worried that your hair will end up smelling like vinegar or the inside of a Fish & Chips Shoppe, I can assure you it won't! Adding the vinegar to your shampoo is 2nd in importance only to using cool/cold water to rinse. Since I've been doing this, I no longer see pink water running down the drain when I rinse my hair!

Use a color enhancing conditioner once or twice a week. Nothing will completely prevent your color processed hair from fading but by using the color enhancing conditioner, you are refreshing your hair color by depositing a temporary color to your hair (effects normally last for 2-3 shampoos) and this will help ensure your color looks as good as the day you walked out of the salon! Although many hair product brands offer color enhancing shampoos or conditioners, I have tried nearly all of them over the years and have found that the ones from Aveda or the Redken "Earth Tones" brand are the most effective. And you can control the intensity of the color deposited by the amount of time you leave the product in your hair, the longer you leave it, the more intense the results will be -- at a minimum, you should leave it in for at least five minutes. Be advised that when you rinse the color enhancing conditioner from your hair (using cool/cold water!!), you WILL see some pink water going down the drain...this is perfectly normal, so don't freak and think the above-mentioned vinegar trick didn't work! You're just seeing the excess pigment that couldn't be absorbed by your hair rinsing out;

Use a color protectant leave-in spray/treatment containing SPF15 or higher before using any heat appliance to blowdry or style your hair. This is the final step to lock in your color. Most people (including hair stylists!!) don't realize it, but heat appliances (blow drier, straightening iron, curling iron, etc.) and exposure to the sun can also make your color-processed hair fade more quickly!! Therefore, if you're going to be spending a lot of time in the sun (i.e.: at the beach or by the pool), in addition to the SPF color protectant leave-in spray, it's also a good idea to wear a hat or scarf to cover your hair in during exposure to intense sunlight -- besides, have you ever gotten a sunburn on your scalp??? Definitely not fun!

If you follow the above advice, I guarantee you'll find your hair color will help stay looking fab until your next salon appointment to touch up those telltale roots -- please give them a try before your appt next week and see how it goes before you decide on a change in hair color.

HTH,
Carrie

If you need specific product recommendations, just let me know!

Remember: if you dye your hair, sulfates are your enemy and ACV is your greatest ally!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:05 am      Reply with quote
I uesd
philip b White Truffle Shampoo,Deep-Conditioning Creme Rinse,and Detangling Finishing Rinse

want to try
Frederic Fekkai Protein Rx
J.F. Lazartigue
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:07 am      Reply with quote
carekate, I like the idea of putting the ACV in the shampoo. I like to try and keep things simple. Also, I have changed to Paves, I also added rosemary eo and lavender eo to the shampoo and am awaiting SKB (approximately how much of this should I put in the shampoo?) to add to the shampoo. I will also add the ACV to the shampoo. Can you recommend a natural volumizer? I have fine thin hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for posting that, carekate!

btw, I am using a non-sulfate shampoo = bioderma node fluide. It is non-detergent, non sulfate. I bought it specifically to mix with the baking soda [cowering in fear and shame now at the very mention] because I figured that there was nothing in it that would 'react' with the sodium bicarbonate, and, evidently, the minerals in my hard water!

I have already followed all of your advice except the acv IN my products, since I have calcium carbonate and iron in my water, which requires that i douse my hair with acv and distilled water as a final rinse... hopefully this will continue to prevent hard mineral build-up on my hair.

I have a color enhancing, non sulfate, non detergent 'cleansing conditioner' (by christophe robin) that I am going to use once per week, and I only wash my hair twice per week, so I was figuring I'd use your hair serum pre-wash for the other weekly wash! I'm one of those girls who doesn't mind oily, kind of dirty hair for a couple of days if it means my hair will be healthier in the end.

I really love bioderma's node, because I feel like it is extremely gentle and non-threatening to my hair.

I thank you so much for all of your concerns about all of our hairs and skins
Smile you really are the treasure of this board, carekate! And hopefully I will be able to try your products soon--I get so sad when my doorbell doesn't ring with a package in the morning Crying or Very sad

--avalange

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |