Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Anyone here drink barley water?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:34 am      Reply with quote
When I was little, my mom would make it for me. I liked it but always figured it was a mom thing and didn't think it would do much. Anyway, I recently saw that it was good for the complexion. I googled it and noticed it had betaglucans and other stuff. It supposedly has a variety of benefits as well, including lowering cholesterol.
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I've drunk it in the past. Natural healer Hannah Kroeger suggests doing a one day fast drinking nothing but barley water as a lymphatic cleanser, and the british royal family serve barley water flavoured with lemon as a summer drink. I personally did not find it did anything for me, and if you use too much barley to water, the consistency can be really slimy.

However lately I have been making rejuvelac from barley and this has a mild, slightly sour flavour and I certainly find that the whites of my eyes are clearer when I drink it. For the recipe just google barley rejuvelac. It is most commonly made with wheat, but can also be made with rye and barley.

Have fun.
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:23 am      Reply with quote
it is sold in many stores,you could buy and save the time to cook.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:19 am      Reply with quote
never heard of this type of water? What stores sell this item in US?
lulumylovely
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Koreans drink toasted barley water is this the same thing? It is really yummy, a little nutty tasting.
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:22 am      Reply with quote
I don't think its usually available in North America. Unfortunately I think its mainly sold in the UK.
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure if the benefits are the same. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Koreans drink barley tea. (toasted barley) Barely water is made by boiling the barley.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
There are some korean supermarket around NJ in US. I do saw some barley powder sold here, are they the same?
snowie_bunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I heard about barley water before, never tried it. I thought it is too time consuming to cook it myself. Maybe I should go to check some Chinese medicine store out.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I love Korean barley "tea"--it's slightly nutty and "dry"-tasting, quite neutral and soothing. I found the following recipe online:

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/korean/00/rec0069.html

It looks pretty easy to do. I think you could find the barley at any Oriental grocery store, if your regular supermarket doesn't have it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
My boyfriend's mom boils barley water for us all the time. She says it cleans the system from toxins or "hot air"; I'm not sure how accurate this info is, but she swears by this Chinese belief.

I drink it simply because it's soooo yummy to me. She adds some sugar in it and I drink it like a dessert.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
My mum used to make it for me whenever i had a sore throat. It is so soothing. Doesn't hurt that it tastes good too Smile
Tangerine
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
anyone know how to make it? just boil barley in water for a while(how long)? and you just drink the water without the barley?

Rolling Eyes
snowie_bunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I just cooked a pot of Barley water according to Nijey's recipe. I did not roast the barleys for long, just when them turned into golden brown. Then boiled them for 20 minutes. Now I am drinking the water without the bailey. It taste like rice water to me. I will see if it has any effect later. I don't know what should I do to the Barleys, maybe throw them in some soup tonight.
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Indians drink it when they are sick....its supposed to be very nutritious and very easy to digest.....We flavour it with a little salt, sugar and lemon juice.
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
LL wrote:
My boyfriend's mom boils barley water for us all the time. She says it cleans the system from toxins or "hot air"; I'm not sure how accurate this info is, but she swears by this Chinese belief.

I drink it simply because it's soooo yummy to me. She adds some sugar in it and I drink it like a dessert.

l take barley water when i got fever.
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
I drink barley water, its called "BUD LIGHT" Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing moosette!!!

Do you drink the barley water (non-bud light variety, Smile ) hot or cold?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:03 am      Reply with quote
moosette wrote:
I drink barley water, its called "BUD LIGHT" Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing rofl Laughing Laughing Laughing You forgot to add that the barley water you prefer has hops in it, too!
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:57 am      Reply with quote
asked my mom about it.. she says its for cleansing and soothing (when u have some sicky symptoms). we have a bag of milled barley sitting in the kitchen.. she bought it from a buddhist temple i think.. it is very nutritious and has protien in it

actually i am glad and thankful you guys brought this up.. im gonna start drinking it more often now
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:23 am      Reply with quote
Isn't barley water what they serve at Wimbledon??? Laughing (well, I guess that is lemon-flavored barley water or something)

Anyway, the only different between barley "water" and barley "tea" is that you roast the barley before you boil it in the water.

Roasting it first just gives it a nutty flavor, but it is delicious - especially as a cold tea in summer. It is a Japanese institution to have Barley Tea (called "mugi cha" - mugi = barley, cha = tea) and if you dont have it in the fridge, people think you are alien. Laughing

If you go to ANY Japanese supermarket - especially during summer - I would be very surprized if they did not have mugi-cha in stock. Normally you just boil one bag in a liter or water of so for 2-3 mins and then leave the bag in the water to cool (I dont do this though as the flavor becomes too strong for me)

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |