Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Check your Vitamins!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:37 am      Reply with quote
This was on msnbc.com this morning:

If you're banking on a daily vitamin to make up for any deficiencies in your diet, you may be getting a whole lot more — or less — than you bargained for.

Of 21 brands of multivitamins on the market in the United States and Canada selected by ConsumerLab.com and tested by independent laboratories, just 10 met the stated claims on their labels or satisfied other quality standards.

Most worrisome, according to ConsumerLab.com president Dr. Tod Cooperman, is that one product, The Vitamin Shoppe Multivitamins Especially for Women, was contaminated with lead.

"I was definitely shocked by the amount of lead in [this] woman's product," he said. "We've never seen that much lead in a multivitamin before."

Other products contained more or less of a particular vitamin than listed on the label. And some did not dissolve in the correct amount of time, meaning they could potentially pass through the body without being fully absorbed.

"Half the products were fine, half were not," said Cooperman.

ConsumerLab.com is a Westchester, N.Y.-based company that independently evaluates hundreds of health and nutrition products and periodically publishes reviews. In the new report, released to MSNBC.com, the company purchased a selection of the popular multivitamins on the market as well as some smaller brands and sent them, without labels, to two independent laboratories to be tested.

On a positive note, several of the most popular multivitamins on the market did pass muster, said David Schardt, a senior nutritionist at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nonprofit consumer advocacy group in Washington, D.C.

These included Centrum Silver, Member's Mark Complete Multi (distributed by Sam's Club), One A Day Women's and Flintstones Complete.

"I think this confirms the advice often given: You're safer choosing a well-known brand sold by some company or store that you have confidence in," Schardt said. "There are no guarantees but that's your best bet."

Random vitamin testing isn't foolproof. For instance, because ConsumerLab.com tested several bottles from a particular lot number of each vitamin, it's not a given that products produced at a different time would have the exact same contents. But detectable problems are a red flag that there could be problems with a company's production process.

In the report, tests showed that The Vitamin Shoppe women's product contained 15.3 micrograms of lead per daily serving of two tablets.

This amount of lead is more than 10 times the amount permitted without a warning in California, the only state that regulates lead in supplements, Cooperman said. On average, most American adults are exposed to about 3 micrograms of lead through food, wine and other sources, he said, and while 15.3 micrograms of lead per day may not be immediately toxic, the mineral is stored in the body and could build up to dangerous levels with time.

"I would be concerned about a woman taking a multivitamin that contains 15.3 micrograms of lead per daily serving," said Judy Simon, a dietitian at the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle. Among other effects, she said, lead can contribute to high blood pressure.

The same product also contained just 54 percent of the 200 milligrams of calcium stated on the label.

The analysis also showed that Hero Nutritionals Yummi Bears, a multivitamin for children, had 216 percent of the labeled amount of vitamin A in the retinol form, delivering 5,400 International Units (IU) in a daily serving. That's substantially more than the upper tolerable level set by the Institute of Medicine of 2,000 IU for kids ages 1 to 3 and 3,000 IU for those 4 to 8.

Because too much vitamin A can cause bone weakening and liver abnormalities, the Yummi Bears "could be potentially doing more harm than good," Cooperman said. "Vitamin A is one of those vitamins where you really don't want to get too much."
Schardt said the lead and vitamin A findings are worrisome because vitamins are generally taken every day, potentially building up to toxic levels and leading to problems down the line. In particular, he noted, women with high levels of lead in their bodies who become pregnant could pass on problems to a fetus.

(REST OF ARTICLE: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16655168/ )

ETA:
ConsumerLab.com selected more than 20 brands of multivitamins to be tested by independent laboratories. Here's a partial list of how some of them fared:

Multivitamins that met standards:
— Centrum Silver
— Member's Mark Complete Multi
— One A Day Women's
— Flinstones Complete

Those that failed:
— The Vitamin Shoppe Multivitamins Especially for women: Contaminated with lead
— Hero Nutritionals Yummi Bears: Had twice the labeled amount of vitamin A
— Nature's Plus Especially Yours for Women: Took twice as long as allowed to disintegrate
— AARP Maturity Formula: Took nearly twice as long as allowed to disintegrate
— Eniva VIBE: Had only 54 percent of claimed vitamin A
— Pet-Tabs Complete Daily Vitamin-Mineral Supplement for Dogs: Contained lead

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Paris! I was really relieved to see that mine made the good list!

Its really freaky that those kind of things were going by untested, and what about quality control at the vitamin plants? Who the heck was snoozing on their shift? Confused

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Very informative and assuring! Thanks for posting!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for posting that.

I don't use the Vitamin Shoppe's Multivitamin for Women, but do use some of their other supplements. I have to say that I more than a little concerned; I'll have to start looking for another brand. Sad
bears
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great information Paris.
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thank ParisTroika so much for posting!
i have take multivitamins vital-fem daily formula for women and just worry about it Rolling Eyes
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for this info, ParisTroika. wave

I was thinking of buying a multivitamin from Vitamin Shoppe but will look elsewhere.
lulumylovely
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! Thanks for posting... who can you trust anymore? I just checked my kids vitamins, I had no idea you could get too much Vitamin A.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
An adult should not be getting more than 10,000 IU of Vitamin A...any more is dangerous.

I stopped using the Airborne and anything like it because one tablet gives you 5400 IU of Vitamin A and they recommend you do several tablets a day.

I stopped it after reading about it on MSNBC and how it can be dangerous (they also ran a test through an independent research panel and came to the conclusion that the folks that started Airborne have no credentials and their product doesn't work).

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for this post. This is very interesting and scary that some multi vitamins were contaminated with lead (of all things). I am going to stick with my Centrum. Wink
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I'm mortified to see that the Pet-tabs I smugly give my dog regularly have lead in them. Crikers. Out they go.

FWIW, those of you near a Trader Joe's can rest easy, too. Their vitamins are regularly monitored -- and pulled -- if they are not up to standards. The QA at TJ's is astonishing. Public Trust is their Number 1 goal.

Actually, the memo posted in the manager's office has, as the Number 1 goal:

How can we have more fun at work?

Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for posting this information.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Paris - Thanks for the info on Airborne. I've always been skeptical but my husband guzzles it! As an MSNBC addict, I'm surprised he didn't see the report. I can't wait to tell him!!!
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting that, Paris! At least I know brands to avoid, even though mine didn't make the "good" list.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
Several years ago in Oz, one of our largest manufacturers of therapeutic goods (including vitamins) was forced to recall many of its products because they were sub standard. The company went bust as a result but at the same time, the laws governing the supply and manufacture of therapeutic goods was really tightened. This also included any claims they made as to health benefits. I believe they are constantly monitored now so our vitamins should be ok.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
great info - thanks for posting!
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I buy a lot of my vitamins at Costco. I wonder how they rate. Has anyone heard about their brands, Kirkland and Health Balance?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for posting that...now, I know what to look out for!
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Paris! You would think that supplements would have to go through rigid testing standards all of the time.

Does anyone know of a good site other thanwww.consumerlab.com that reviews and posts their findings on vitamins/supplements? When I visited the consumerlab site there is also an article on the findings of probiotic formula reviews. Jarrow Formula is on that list, a brand of probiotics that I take. (Fyi, to my knowledge Jarrow is supposed to be a reputable brand). But to access the review you have to be a subscriber.

Has anyone ever subscribed to consumerlab.com? Was wondering how helpful and informative it is....

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the info.
Just as info, I like to buywww.naturemade.com vitamine in general, usually the price is halved (buy one get one free)when going on sale in drugstores, such as walgreens, cvs, and riteaid.
jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:29 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skinยฎ |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |